Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The Catcher in the Rye is the perfect highschool novel imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

*with the air of someone revealing a great mystery* "class, i want you to consider that perhaps gregor was not literally transformed"

SYmbolism is forbidden in the capital L Literature thread.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Another issue with the traditional high school teaching of a book is that it suggests books have an objectively "true" meaning that must be uncovered and that this is the only possible meaning to be garnered from the text. Roland Barthes had a great quote about this, that writing must be "disentangled, not deciphered".

Too many teachers allow kids to think they are reading the book "wrong."

A good example is As I Lay Dying. Most of my teachers told me it was a dark comedy, but I saw it as deeply tragic and devastating.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

*with the air of someone revealing a great mystery* "class, i want you to consider that perhaps gregor was not literally transformed"

this is a really boring reading imo

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

I had a student in Mexico once tell me he read Catcher in the Rye and that it was the most amazing book and it really spoke to him

I was like "Well, yeah, you're a teenager"

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Another issue with the traditional high school teaching of a book is that it suggests books have an objectively "true" meaning that must be uncovered and that this is the only possible meaning to be garnered from the text. Roland Barthes had a great quote about this, that writing must be "disentangled, not deciphered".

Too many teachers allow kids to think they are reading the book "wrong."

A good example is As I Lay Dying. Most of my teachers told me it was a dark comedy, but I saw it as deeply tragic and devastating.

this being said, there is a set of "valid" readings of a book, which is smaller than the set of "possible" readings for that book

like, if i took the bible to be a huge, sarcastic rave against religion, that would be a pretty dumb & wrong reading of the bible

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

this being said, there is a set of "valid" readings of a book, which is smaller than the set of "possible" readings for that book

like, if i took the bible to be a huge, sarcastic rave against religion, that would be a pretty dumb & wrong reading of the bible

not if you are reading the Pierre Menard translation

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

Sure, but at the same time, if you were like Winston Churchill's son and read the bible and came up with the interpretation "God is such a little poo poo" its not invalid.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

It's the perfect argument for assigned reading. You have to make kids read it at thirteen or they'll never appreciate it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ask yourself why you find what you find interesting. Interesting is actually incredibly subjective, and you can learn a lot about yourself by thinking about why you have the preferences you do. That is what I enjoy about "literary" fiction. It often challenges me to interact with my own idea of myself and draw conclusions about my own biases. You do not need to hunt down symbols like the world's most obnoxious easter egg hunt, but you also do not need to look at the book on the surface level. Interact with the text with a conscious awareness of the limits and conditions of your own perspective, and see where that experience takes you.

*makes little wizard fingers*

Um, I really liked the Bishop in Les Mis. I thought he was the main character at first and when Valjean showed up I was kinda confused. I suppose me liking Myriel shows how much I want the Catholic faith to actually be like that? Seriously, the Bishop was probably my favorite character in the story and I'm not sure why.

I have a strong bent towards Romanticism in general, I think. Byron and Keats and Shelley. I also mentioned Scarlet Letter earlier and Hawthorne is also apparently a Romantic, according to Wikipedia.

I'm no stranger to introspection. I've just usually relegated my attempts to understand myself to the world of political and religious texts I read. And I've read a lot and still haven't found any that seems to fit.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

V. Illych L. posted:

gregor was literally transformed. The book would be indecipherable if he wasnt

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I had a student in Mexico once tell me he read Catcher in the Rye and that it was the most amazing book and it really spoke to him

I was like "Well, yeah, you're a teenager"

Yeah, exactly. It isnt a book I'd read now as an adult, but it's really good for people that age.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

"Why is the chair green in this chapter?" - an rear end in a top hat who I do not want to have a conversation with

ok

but srsly, dismissing a strange colour of a chair in a lot of literary novels will mean you'll miss stuff. noticing it & thinking about it is a lot of fun actually. doesn't have much to do with symbolism as a literary movement, but alice munro, to name a well known example, is a master of using every bloody detail in a way that supports her themes and ideas. a woman is putting on some guy's boots instead of her own, and they're too big for her? you bet it's important and tells a lot about her and the way the story's going.

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 17, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

V. Illych L. posted:

Haha, right? She was not a great teacher.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ras Het posted:

gregor was literally transformed. The book would be indecipherable if he wasnt

I dunno when my grandma was dying I also threw an apple at her

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

V. Illych L. posted:

Grendel is interesting for this because it has a reading that's right on the line between valid and outright wrong. The book was clearly intended as an extended attack on nihilism, with Grendel as the narrative voice of nihilism meeting other philosophies in turn, rejecting them successively, and nevertheless ultimately failing because, gently caress, he gets his arm torn off.

So its meant to be a systematic rejection of nihilism. But the narrative voice is so compelling its really easy (esp. For readers who miss the philosophies) to read it as just a nihilistic work, period.

Same/ similar problem with Paradise Lost. Satan is just such a compelling character.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Caustic Chimera posted:

I hated Romeo and Juliet, I preferred Taming of the Shrew.

And seriously, for teaching, I strongly agree with the idea of teaching with more YA books. If nothing else, it's a lot easier to relate to the characters for teenagers. The sexual themes in a lot of books might be a problem for certain school boards though. Maybe classics would be okay if they picked the classics more carefully though. I really think Steinbeck is a bad idea though.

I really liked Of Mice and Men. I think that can hit home with just about anyone, whatever their age or time period. Even people I know who don't like him said it was his best work.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Grendel is interesting for this because it has a reading that's right on the line between valid and outright wrong. The book was clearly intended as an extended attack on nihilism, with Grendel as the narrative voice of nihilism meeting other philosophies in turn, rejecting them successively, and nevertheless ultimately failing because, gently caress, he gets his arm torn off.

I have really been enjoying reading post-modern response novels.

Right now I am finishing up the Mersault Investigation which is a response to The Stranger on the premise of "Who was the Arab?"

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Same/ similar problem with Paradise Lost. Satan is just such a compelling character.

<ilton was definitely pro Satan

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

also idgaf I like House of Leaves

I would have done the color thing but you can't on this forum

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I really liked Of Mice and Men. I think that can hit home with just about anyone, whatever their age or time period. Even people I know who don't like him said it was his best work.

I absolutely hated Of Mice and Men, or at least how it was taught at my school and it's probably partially responsible for me not reading anything by choice from the ages of 13 through 19.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The only benefit to asking a 13 year old to read Of Mice and Men is that he gets the joke behind those Looney Tunes episodes.

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

NikkolasKing posted:

I watched the movie in high school and liked it, but I'm honestly not sure I would have liked the book had I read it then. I disliked Steinbeck's writing style in high school, but it sort of speaks to me now. Maybe I just had to get older to appreciate it.

But maybe it would have worked, I just don't know. I just think you have to pick works that speak to people at that age, which YA is at least designed to do if it was published properly. I think some classics could, but I'm not sure which ones could, I'm just drawing a blank right now. Maybe some romances?

And you guys are making me really sad I never read Catcher in the Rye as a teenager.

I just remembered, I found a copy of Animal Farm and read it when I was really young. Didn't really get it, but Boxer was my favorite character.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

CestMoi posted:

I absolutely hated Of Mice and Men, or at least how it was taught at my school and it's probably partially responsible for me not reading anything by choice from the ages of 13 through 19.

your wierd

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Caustic Chimera posted:

I watched the movie in high school and liked it, but I'm honestly not sure I would have liked the book had I read it then. I disliked Steinbeck's writing style in high school, but it sort of speaks to me now. Maybe I just had to get older to appreciate it.

But maybe it would have worked, I just don't know. I just think you have to pick works that speak to people at that age, which YA is at least designed to do if it was published properly. I think some classics could, but I'm not sure which ones could, I'm just drawing a blank right now. Maybe some romances?

And you guys are making me really sad I never read Catcher in the Rye as a teenager.

I just remembered, I found a copy of Animal Farm and read it when I was really young. Didn't really get it, but Boxer was my favorite character.

The first book I remember being prescribed reading that I really liked was The Outsiders. This was middle school and not high school but it still really "clicked" with me and I read ahead and finished the book long before my class did.

So I think you are onto something.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm by far the best and most insightful poster in this thread so maybe Of Mice and Men is in fact bad.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Has anyone gone back and read their high school English papers?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Caustic Chimera posted:

Everything I've re-read post high school has basically been a new, revelatory experience because of how stupid I was and generally 15 year olds are. I was in honors classes and aced them, and probably understood >10% of The Grapes of Wrath when I read it. All of the injustices, empathy, hardships, understanding of a time before mine, all that I just totally missed in favor of an ability to correctly summarize the plot and explain the significance of symbols like the tortoise crossing the road.

I hope that schools are trying to at least alter how they teach literature, using YA junk to practice exploring literary works and figuring out why they speak to you and how they function, in order to make stuff like The Old Man and the Sea accessible at some point, and maybe it's just me and my video-game damaged brain, but I can't conceive how a sophomore in high school is really, truly supposed to appreciate something like The Great Gatsby's themes of the crumbling American dream or whatever, except on a totally surface level.

Also, I read Catcher in the Rye probably around 13 or so, I have no memory of it whatsoever.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

I'm by far the best and most insightful poster in this thread so maybe Of Mice and Men is in fact bad.

You also like Borges and Calvino so maybe you are just bourgeois

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Zesty Mordant posted:

Everything I've re-read post high school has basically been a new, revelatory experience because of how stupid I was and generally 15 year olds are.

Any time I remember thinking something was really good when I was 15 I have to remember I also thought Final Fantasy VII had a really good story

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

But while Catcher in the Rye is good for highschool, what do you think is the perfect college freshman lit reading? I'd say Joyce's "The Dead" but I dunno

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

But while Catcher in the Rye is good for highschool, what do you think is the perfect college freshman lit reading? I'd say Joyce's "The Dead" but I dunno

Camus and Orwell

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Zesty Mordant posted:

I hope that schools are trying to at least alter how they teach literature, using YA junk to practice exploring literary works and figuring out why they speak to you and how they function, in order to make stuff like The Old Man and the Sea accessible at some point, and maybe it's just me and my video-game damaged brain, but I can't conceive how a sophomore in high school is really, truly supposed to appreciate something like The Great Gatsby's themes of the crumbling American dream or whatever, except on a totally surface level.

I forgot I read the Great Gatsby as well. It's all coming back to me sort of. I think part of the problem with that one is you hate everybody, and you don't that you're supposed to hate everybody.

I really thought about going into teaching when I left high school, but I went to several teachers I trusted, and they all told me not to, that it wasn't worth it. Part of me wonders if it was "Oh god save the children from her" but I think part of it was they really hate what the system does to them.

One of my friends told me if I went into teaching I'd kill all the children in the mimeograph room.

I really wish we could instill that love of reading though, even if it's with mediocre books.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah, like how us a teenager going to understand what the hell Tom Joad is talking about? It's not that they're stupid (some are, but many aren't); they just straight up don't have the experiences necessary to relate to what those people are dealing with. Teenagers like Ender's Game, because it's about someone who is treated like poo poo but deep down is better than everyone else. The problem is to find something they'll engage with that is also actually any good at all

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Camus and Orwell

all ages should read camus imo he is Good

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

How do I get girls to think I'm sexy because I read good books

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

blue squares posted:

when you find out please let us know

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

Lick the tip of your finger like a clitoris before turning every page

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

blue squares posted:

go for nerdy girls. and use your sexy voice when you tell them about the depths of lolita

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Like I was struck during my re-reading of Grapes of Wrath in the part where they basically dissuade Tom or someone from picking and eating from a nearby farm crop even though he's starving because someone, the police even, would kill him, roll him into a ditch and the papers would report "vagrant found dead" and that would be that, and 15 year old me either skimmed this because it wasn't integral to the basic plot or just thought "okay." Either way, even if the teacher found it important enough to point out to us, I'd forgotten it entirely.

The thing is though, that passage is so culturally relevant today, and getting kids to realize it would be astounding, and I'm still sure you can teach anything to anyone so long as you do it right, but as I remember it, kids reading this aren't being prepared to disassemble it outside of just telling them straight-up "this is about how we Other people, poors don't get a choice, doesn't matter if its Oakies or black people, get it?" and no one benefits from just being told poo poo, especially a teenager.

I realize this is turning into a repetitive / 'why I became a teacher' kind of discussion so I'll stop

Instead, I'll say that I've gotten deeper into The Dictionary of the Khazars and it's starting to make sense, the story of Dr. Suk is what really started things tying together.