Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I never throw torches away unless I'm looting the last room and about to finish the mission. Running into two bone pimps or a Sexy Cultist costume party (or like, half the poo poo in Warrens) in really low/no light can poo poo an egregious amount of stress onto your heroes in no time flat, so I usually crank up the light during those fights to mitigate the stress modifiers. Everyone goes insane way too fast otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

If you haven't been lucky enough to get your hands on one, the new Sacred Scroll for vestals is extremely strong and having two of them trivializes just about any non-boss encounter. While I haven't tried it yet, I can only imagine that throwing one of those +healing received trinkets on a leper or something would synergize wonderfully.

Speaking of which, one strategy that I came up with for the rank-3 swine god but that's been working well for me generally is to have as much off-role healing as possible. The ability to save somebody from death's door even when your vestal is getting stunlocked is very useful, and there's no shortage of good candidates: In addition to the leper's self-heal there's the arbalest, the plague doctor, the crusader, and while it's not healing the man-at-arms can cover somebody at death's door from everything except dots and area attacks. That sort of composition probably also makes it easier to skate with an occultist as your main healer, though I haven't been trying that specifically.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
I started a new game today after a couple of months to try out the new stuff from the last two patches. The very first battle in the very first dungeon is my squad being surprised by four spiders who instantly gang up on my Highwayman and before I have an action he is marked twice, poisoned and on Death's Door and then of course the first blight tick kills him. My Vestal also went down later and now I sit in Town with two 90+ stressed heroes and only three new ones. This is amazing.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
I just started a new playthrough with my own personal rule that I would have only one of each class, as my previous game I would do teams like triple Hellion, triple Graverobber and triple Highwayman. It's causing me to think outside the box a little because I usually just play with an A team and B team, but I am having to cobble together odd groups while guys are on stress break. Having only 1 Vestal is a pain, but I've got all bosses down on Apprentice level except the mutating kronenburg thing. I was pleasantly surprised with the Plague Doctor as his cure is a pretty good heal, and his first turn is always better as the Vestal's who a lot of time is just "smite something for small damage, gain 0 life." My Occultist was my first casualty, I got greedy, he was on Death's door and bleeding and I didn't want to go below 4 food because the dungeon was only half done, so I moved a space with him at 0 and bleeding trying to get to the scouted next room to camp and he didn't resist Death's Door.

That Sonorous boss is a real son of a bitch. Had him down to 2 and had the ceiling coming down next turn on my Occultist who was already at 0. I could swap him with my 50% hp Gravedigger who was already blighted. Decided to just go for it and used my 85 Accuracy move to try to finish him off and missed, got hit in the head and he died, RIP Occultist bro.

The "Sun" trinkets really are spectacular. The prot cloaks save you a ton of damage and make non-Vestal teams feel a lot safer. I'm even using the common trinket that is +5% prot and -damage. I pulled one of the Ancestral trinkets that's +a boatload of damage and crit and -accuracy and my Arbalest is capping fools left and right. I never really used a Leper before but when you give him two of those +25dam +10acc sun rings he becomes a serious threat even at lower levels. If there's a fight that's going to go 4 rounds I can't imagine the carnage after he pops Revenge.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

kickascii posted:

The "Sun" trinkets really are spectacular. The prot cloaks save you a ton of damage and make non-Vestal teams feel a lot safer. I'm even using the common trinket that is +5% prot and -damage. I pulled one of the Ancestral trinkets that's +a boatload of damage and crit and -accuracy and my Arbalest is capping fools left and right. I never really used a Leper before but when you give him two of those +25dam +10acc sun rings he becomes a serious threat even at lower levels. If there's a fight that's going to go 4 rounds I can't imagine the carnage after he pops Revenge.

Bring him to the Inchoate Flesh fight, it's the best fight in the game to bring out the buffs for.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Anyone know if a PD can double stack blight on the flesh boss with her AOE move? I scraped by thanks to the MAA bodyguard move and the new BH hook and slice inflicting a ton of bleed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
She can stack her blights as much as she drat well pleases.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
But does she double stack with one attack because it's one hp bar with multiple targets?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Oh like that. No, even if you hit two 'slots' the attack only hits once.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Holy cow the Man At Arms is so clutch. Enemies ganging up on one guy? Ho ho ho, now neither of them take any damage.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

Holy cow the Man At Arms is so clutch. Enemies ganging up on one guy? Ho ho ho, now neither of them take any damage.

Man At Arms is the best addition. Has anyone found any trinkets for him yet? or the Arbalest?

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

Man At Arms is the best addition. Has anyone found any trinkets for him yet? or the Arbalest?

There aren't any according to the wiki.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Boo

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

drat, so hosed now that both my Vestals are level 3 and refuse to do any low-to-medium runs, but I don't really have any level 2's I'd put with them for a Veteran run and now that my one Occultist is dead, I have zero healers.

Tried to go through one of the long 2-camp runs with Man-At-Arms, Plague Doc, Arbalest, and Leper and I had every room of the 20 or so rooms cleared except for one and I just ran out of gas and had to loving retreat before a heart attack, god damnit. Not having at LEAST one Occultist or Vestal really makes the longer runs impossible.

Silus
Dec 28, 2012

I feel like the common protection trinket might as well belong to him. Giving him a free point or two of prot just makes him that much tankier. I got lucky and found 3 Masters at Arms and two Arbalests very quickly on a new game. Low on graverobbers and jesters though (I had one graverobber, and she died miserably within two fights of her first dungeon).

My most effective party to date is two bounty hunters and two arbalests. Most of the time I don't even bother marking unless it's a particularly tough target, they all do so much damage even without the mark.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Arbalest is so good that there's no reason to bring someone like a Grave Robber or a Plague Doctor along over one. Blindfire is loving great if you don't mind the random target, it just ensures you keep getting a turn again and again and the damage/crit always seems great

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Been thinking about the Man At Arms, and I really like him, but I don't think he's game breaking, he's just really good at not dying and comes with a fabulous move-set to boot. To be fair, not dying is a fantastic asset to have in this game, but damage is more-so a fantastic asset. I had a real long Inchoate Flesh fight, where I basically had him protecting whoever needed it most while I let my Highway man and Hellion try to cut it down. Made a lot of bad tactical mistakes, but everyone walked away victorious from the fight only because I just had my Man At Arms go into full tank mode. When you're just smashing through regular fights he's great for stunning huge loving nuisances and just being a general bad rear end with retribution.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rayjenkins posted:

Been thinking about the Man At Arms, and I really like him, but I don't think he's game breaking, he's just really good at not dying and comes with a fabulous move-set to boot. To be fair, not dying is a fantastic asset to have in this game, but damage is more-so a fantastic asset. I had a real long Inchoate Flesh fight, where I basically had him protecting whoever needed it most while I let my Highway man and Hellion try to cut it down. Made a lot of bad tactical mistakes, but everyone walked away victorious from the fight only because I just had my Man At Arms go into full tank mode. When you're just smashing through regular fights he's great for stunning huge loving nuisances and just being a general bad rear end with retribution.

Retribution is utterly, stupidly good. It does so many useful things at once that you could strip entire elements of the move and it would still be one of the best moves in the game.

Take out the protection buff and make it an attack + counterattack? Fantastic.

Take out the attack and make it protection + counterattack? Fantastic.

Take out the counterattack and make it an attack + protect buff? Still fantastic!

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

MinibarMatchman posted:

drat, so hosed now that both my Vestals are level 3 and refuse to do any low-to-medium runs, but I don't really have any level 2's I'd put with them for a Veteran run and now that my one Occultist is dead, I have zero healers.

Tried to go through one of the long 2-camp runs with Man-At-Arms, Plague Doc, Arbalest, and Leper and I had every room of the 20 or so rooms cleared except for one and I just ran out of gas and had to loving retreat before a heart attack, god damnit. Not having at LEAST one Occultist or Vestal really makes the longer runs impossible.

I mean I understand the seperating of teams into levels appropriate for the dungeon difficulty, but the roster level is just way too small for me. There's probably mods for that.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dackel posted:

I mean I understand the seperating of teams into levels appropriate for the dungeon difficulty, but the roster level is just way too small for me. There's probably mods for that.

I posted how to do it a few pages back, though it's not exactly marked or anything so there's no reason why you should've been able to find it.

Coolguye posted:

DarkestDungeon\campaign\town\stage_coach\stage_coach.building.json

Look for the following code block:

code:
"roster_size_upgrades" : 
				[
					{ "amount" : 9 },
					{ "amount" : 11,     "upgrade_tree_id" :  "stage_coach.rostersize", "upgrade_requirement_code" : "a"  },
					{ "amount" : 13,     "upgrade_tree_id" :  "stage_coach.rostersize", "upgrade_requirement_code" : "b"  },
					{ "amount" : 15,     "upgrade_tree_id" :  "stage_coach.rostersize", "upgrade_requirement_code" : "c"  },
					{ "amount" : 17,     "upgrade_tree_id" :  "stage_coach.rostersize", "upgrade_requirement_code" : "d"  },
					{ "amount" : 20,     "upgrade_tree_id" :  "stage_coach.rostersize", "upgrade_requirement_code" : "e"  }
				]	
Change the amounts to whatever you want to increase your hero barracks size. Doubling it has meant I'm generally happy with the size of my barracks at all times.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Coolguye posted:

I posted how to do it a few pages back, though it's not exactly marked or anything so there's no reason why you should've been able to find it.

Sweet, thanks a lot! It was in DarkestDungeon\campaign\town\buildings\stage_coach\stage_coach.building.jso for me

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Retribution is so great against back-row assholes like brigand gunners and the spore dudes in the weald. And if you pop it after the guard move that cranks up his prot, pretty much all the enemies are going to be ineffectually flailing at him for 0-2 damage while he beats them in the face.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Bounty Hunter / Man at Arms / Occultist / Arbalest just ripped up Level 3 Sonorous Prophet. Goddamn stacking hook and slice bleed, retribution after his party-wide blight atack every round, and marked sniper shots made it a short battle.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Holy crap, Man at Arms almost feels like cheating. Who thought it'd be balanced to add a dude with an attack that sets up infinite counters whether it hits or not, increases his chance of being targeted, and increases his straight up damage immunity, and has a chance to stun? Especially once you get campfire buffs handed out, and his dodge hits 30-40 and he just sits there laughing and laughing and slapping silly fuckers aside with his shield

edit: Does anyone have good uses for Hellions? I want to like them, but the forced recovery time for her good attacks and the limited ranges really limit what I think I can do with the class

Darwinism fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 2, 2015

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I don't think the new classes have really gone through a real balance pass yet

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Rascyc posted:

I don't think the new classes have really gone through a real balance pass yet

Yeah, the MAA is like good old days Hellion levels of insane right now. Some of it is kind of okay, I think, because a lot of his abilities revolve around damage mitigation, when unless I'm mistaken people seem to agree that damage output is most important.

Having strong damage mitigation might not be an awful thing, as it opens up alternative playstyles beyond bursting everyone down ASAP. If you can tank effectively, DOTs and debuffs become more attractive.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
My current A team consists of two MaA's, a highwayman, and a vestal. The vestal's mainly just there for show since between the highwayman's 10+ damage grapeshots and the two MaAs annihilating everything I can end most encounters in the first round. Those who doubt how good MaAs are need to use two and only use retribution, it's ludicrous. At least with only one you have a chance of not being targeted all the time to benefit from ripostes.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Are hellions any good at all now? Having the exhaustion on every move worth using is crippling, and adrenaline rush doesn't cancel it out, and stuff like Breakthrough isn't even that good anymore to begin with. I keep trying to use a hellion in my runs but she just seems inferior to the other damage classes now.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

If it bleeds is pretty great, and her camp skills are pretty solid.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011
So I gave my Man At Arms a couple of trinkets that boost his damage, so long as he's in the front row, and now he can two shot most monsters just by hollering at them.

Boing posted:

Are hellions any good at all now? Having the exhaustion on every move worth using is crippling, and adrenaline rush doesn't cancel it out, and stuff like Breakthrough isn't even that good anymore to begin with. I keep trying to use a hellion in my runs but she just seems inferior to the other damage classes now.

If you pair her up with a Plague Doctor that has Emboldening Vapours, and you'll never have to worry about any of her skills' damage debuffs.

Radiochromatic fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 3, 2015

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Just got the game and it's really fun. Getting negative quirks on level up is a bit of a bitch, though; one would think that the game already piles on quite a few hazards without tossing in another one on the way out.

I had to recall two expeditions against the Hag, though, with terrible losses. She just goes apeshit with attacks whenever she has someone in her pot, and seems to always pick the one person meant to damage the back row. I'm currently building up a ranged/bleed party meant to take her down.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Boing posted:

Her camping skill and Iron Swan are great against bosses.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
God drat the narrator in this is loving top notch.

"MORTALITY CLARIFIED IN A SINGLE BLOW!" Is probably the best line of dialogue in anything ever because of how over the top it is and how over the top it's delivered.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Rudager posted:

God drat the narrator in this is loving top notch.

"MORTALITY CLARIFIED IN A SINGLE BLOW!" Is probably the best line of dialogue in anything ever because of how over the top it is and how over the top it's delivered.

It gets a little silly when he starts yelling about how you're DAZED REELING ABOUT TO BREAK when you get critted for like 2 damage off a swinetaur's backhand, though.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

It gets a little silly when he starts yelling about how you're DAZED REELING ABOUT TO BREAK when you get critted for like 2 damage off a swinetaur's backhand, though.

It's not your body that's breaking

it's your sanity

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Injury and despondency set the stage for heroism

Or cowardice.

Always gets me.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just had my Arbalester murder the Swine Prince in three crit shots of 49 damage each. Guess stacking hatred of man, beast, campfire skills and marked paid off. :stare:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Arbalest named Vasquez running with a Highwayman named Gorman. Surely this cannot go wrong.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010

Grognan posted:

Just had my Arbalester murder the Swine Prince in three crit shots of 49 damage each. Guess stacking hatred of man, beast, campfire skills and marked paid off. :stare:

Yeah, I just killed the veteran Sonorous Prophet on round 2 because my Arbalest crit twice. That Man at arms, Bounty Hunter, Occultist and Arbalest team is pretty OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Arbalest named Vasquez running with a Highwayman named Gorman. Surely this cannot go wrong.

Vasquez and Gorman died so . . .