Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I suppose this only applies to quickplay?

EDIT: maybe i should have clarified, im talking about faction play.

Oh, they're planning to push this to faction mode, but for the love of god either convince goons or dig for the faction mumble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Astroniomix posted:

Why in god's name are you solo dropping CW?

It's you; you're the pubbie.

I think we've identified the problem.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Bait and Swatch posted:

I think we've identified the problem.

Yes, the problem is i dont give a poo poo about one-live-deathmatch.
And sadly, theres no way to play the other mode without running into premades.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Then I'd venture to say that's your problem, not a matchmaker one.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Yolomon Wayne posted:

CW screams giant premades are you insane

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Yolomon Wayne posted:

This is like going to see star wars and complaining the audience is full of nerds

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Appearently you guys have never played any other games?
Ive played plenty, and all of them kept solo-random/premade seperated as good as possible, throughout all modes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

They designed cw for faction play. That was always the point of it. It not being optimised for solo play is not surprising. You are right though I have played no other games ever.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

This is like going to see star wars and complaining the audience is full of nerds

Actually, its like going to see star wars and only being shown the b/w with no sound and chinese subtitles because you went alone.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

They designed cw for faction play. That was always the point of it. It not being optimised for solo play is not surprising. You are right though I have played no other games ever.

It still wouldnt break the game if they seperated random from premades a little bit.
Other games have shown that adjusting matchmakers takes less than a few days.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Ive played plenty, and all of them kept solo-random/premade seperated as good as possible, throughout all modes.

Man I never run into premades in league of legends normal queue ever!!!!

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

You are A: seriously overestimaing how much making things "pub only" would help.

And B: dropping in the group mode and then complaining that you're facing groups you loving idiot.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

Man I never run into premades in league of legends normal queue ever!!!!

Especially THAT game tries to match equal numbers of premades.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Astroniomix posted:

You are A: seriously overestimaing how much making things "pub only" would help.

And B: dropping in the group mode and then complaining that you're facing groups you loving idiot.

Its not "group mode" however, but "faction play".
If it was "group mode", it would require a "group" to enter.

Again, other games have this, and it works pretty well.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Especially THAT game tries to match equal numbers of premades.
It's bad at it happy to help

Still don't care when it happens get good friend namaste

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Yoloman, you're either super loving dense retarded dumb piece of poo poo rear end fucker who blows horses,

or you're trolling.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I like blowing horses

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

It's bad at it happy to help

Still don't care when it happens get good friend namaste

At least its trying, which is still better than flat out not giving a poo poo.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Faction Play is literally designed around the concept of House/Merc units fighting other House/Merc units.

Running into premades shouldn't surprise you...and you shouldn't expect such a mode to cater to solo pubs.

You need to align your expectations with the stated goal and purpose of CW.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

I like blowing horses

I accept you and your life style choices, friend.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Yolomon Wayne posted:

It still wouldnt break the game if they seperated random from premades a little bit.
Other games have shown that adjusting matchmakers takes less than a few days.

They do, you just don't want to play that mode. You are playing in a mode that was explicitly designed towards group play. You act as though it is the only option or that you've been forced into it. Furthermore, you are literally complaining about it to a large group of players who who you are purposefully not joining to play CW with.

You are a snowflake complaining that it's too hot for you to fall in the summer.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Bait and Swatch posted:

They do, you just don't want to play that mode. You are playing in a mode that was explicitly designed towards group play. You act as though it is the only option or that you've been forced into it. Furthermore, you are literally complaining about it to a large group of players who who you are purposefully not joining to play CW with.

You are a snowflake complaining that it's too hot for you to fall in the summer.

Im not saying its the only available option, and im certainly not forced into it.
Im simply complaining that this game, in contrast to all other PvP games ive play (over the last decade), does not even try to auto-balance premades and randoms.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Im not saying its the only available option, and im certainly not forced into it.
Im simply complaining that this game, in contrast to all other PvP games ive play (over the last decade), does not even try to auto-balance premades and randoms.

Skoll posted:

Yoloman, you're either super loving dense retarded dumb piece of poo poo rear end fucker who blows horses,

or you're trolling.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
In case you have no sensible answer, resort to profanities, well done.

But rest assured i will say no hurtful word against your game anymore.
Queues can not be changed to make the game more appealing to more players, that would be bad.
Things should always stay as they are, because that is good.
Got it now.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I have fun in cw even with pub queue

Most clans are bad friend!

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
You know, this is me blurfing steady grognard, but they way they did mech design in this game sort of breaks my heart as far as I used to read the battletech poo poo when I was young. Like, releasing new mechs into the game is clearly how these clowns keep the shop open. I get that. But if they keep doing that at this pace, they might just slam every mech from the 3025 and 3050 technical readouts into the game. That sounds cool in some ways, like, who doesn't want the sheer thrill of piloting a Clint or an Ostsol?

But what makes a Clint a Clint? Given how flexible these robots are, you could basically build one out of spare parts and a little imagination. There are already a couple of mediums and heavies that you can barely tell apart given some reasonably competent cookie-cutter builds, variants inclusive. It's kind of a shame. They put Vindicators in the game, but you can (and probably should) take their iconic, role-defining PPC off and throw it away? And also not play them ever, because they are 90% the same as trebuchets except shittier?

I dunno, I haven't had my coffee yet but something in my brain wanted them to do something like stick with a "primary weapon" for each robot that you couldn't take off that would make each chassis REALLY different from each other, and then let players dink with the other parts to make it run how they want. Instead there's LRM boat Awesomes. Or gently caress it SRM boat Awesomes. Which nobody plays, because if you wanted to stick three PPC on a robot you would do something else. :saddowns:

edit jesus christ yoloman guy thanks for making my poo poo seem less neckbeard fedoracringe good sir loving dipshit le no response to le argumente loving dickwipe

Tujague fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 17, 2016

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Queues can not be changed to make the game more appealing to more players, that would be bad.
Got it now.

Yeah, because playing the raid content in WOW should clearly be remade so you can solo drop I and still do well also.

In short, get better and get hosed. Namaste

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Bold statement. Guess you've never played Planetside 2, Guild Wars 2? How about Unreal Tournaments? Halo 3? CoD 4: MW?

This game might be a little too intense or hard for you. Maybe you should drop solo queue or find a clan/faction to have members to drop into Faction Play with that way you can be carried.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Tujague posted:

You know, this is me blurfing steady grognard, but they way they did mech design in this game sort of breaks my heart as far as I used to read the battletech poo poo when I was young. Like, releasing new mechs into the game is clearly how these clowns keep the shop open. I get that. But if they keep doing that at this pace, they might just slam every mech from the 3025 and 3050 technical readouts into the game. That sounds cool in some ways, like, who doesn't want the sheer thrill of piloting a Clint or an Ostsol?

But what makes a Clint a Clint? Given how flexible these robots are, you could basically build one out of spare parts and a little imagination. There are already a couple of mediums and heavies that you can barely tell apart given some reasonably competent cookie-cutter builds, variants inclusive. It's kind of a shame. They put Vindicators in the game, but you can (and probably should) take their iconic, role-defining PPC off and throw it away? And also not play them ever, because they are 90% the same as trebuchets except shittier?

I dunno, I haven't had my coffee yet but something in my brain wanted them to do something like stick with a "primary weapon" for each robot that you couldn't take off that would make each chassis REALLY different from each other, and then let players dink with the other parts to make it run how they want. Instead there's LRM boat Awesomes. Or gently caress it SRM boat Awesomes. Which nobody plays, because if you wanted to stick three PPC on a robot you would do something else. :saddowns:

The quirks are kinda a step in the direction you're talking about. Before each mech was just an X ton box with certain hard points. Now there's actually a reason for putting ppcs on an awesome or lrms on a hunchback J. It's not perfect but the flaws now come more from the quirked weapons being garbage regardless of bonuses or the mech being terrible physically (like the awesome being sixty feet wide). Quirks mean that poo poo like the blackjack is actually a cool and good robot instead of being the 45 ton dumpster fire it would be without them. It's genuinely the best thing pgi have done for the game (which is why they were talking about getting rid of them)

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Got it now.

There will be a solo only queue when the CW overhaul comes around, but that will not ultimately change the way CW matches play. The other problem is that initially the purpose of CW, as mentioned earlier, was to be more focused on the shifting of planets, and thus the design for matchmaking was built around this. Unfortunately there is no benefit to sticking with one group other than e-honoure reasons and tons of reasons to switch around, so instead you just get what we have currently.

You are currently playing at a time with a substantially larger active player base than most times over the last 3 years, and missed periods where it was extremely difficult if not impossible to match groups together, both in quick play and CW. The way the matchmaking system works currently is in part reflecting this, and the best I can say to do is rather than demand that the system reflect your desires (which will take time regardless), try to join a group to better work with the system as is. We don't do tons of CW here but many other groups do.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Got it now.

:rolleyes:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Got it now.

Guy plays game.

Guy makes conscious choice to play the game mode designed for group play.

Guy bitches when he runs into groups in the mode designed for group play.

Guy then demands that the mode be changed to suit his preferences.

Guy gets butthurt when it is pointed out that Guy is playing the mode designed for group play, and that there is already a mode that separates groups from solos that they are explicitly choosing not to play.

Holy poo poo, these last few pages have had a lot of drama.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
Why isn't there fishing in this game? I want to fish, most good games have fishing yet this doesn't. Later losers, enjoy your poo poo no-fishing game.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Devorum posted:

Holy poo poo, these last few pages have had a lot of drama.

*entertainment*

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

lol someone just got dog piled for hating on mwo

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I'm thinking of buying 3 firestarters while the sale is going. My understanding is that it's a pretty good base for running in circles and shooting assaults in the rear end.

Two questions: would it be better to do that or just buy 2 more cicadas to go with the event one I already have? I know the cicadas play differently, so not having essentially 3 of the same mech might be a good thing.

Second, if I go with the 3 firestarters, which 3 variants?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Tujague posted:

reasonable nerdery

The best thing about MWLL was the lack of a mech lab. I hope future BT games take note and keep a balance between appealing to customization and established flavor.

It would be nice if there were official modes with stock layouts only. It'll never happen but my dream is for faction warfare to be based on BV points instead of tonnage, with stock mechs and maybe even some kind of industrial capacity for the faction determining their offensive budget- or maybe just their budget for modifications to stock designs.

At least there are community efforts for this sort of thing. Stock fights happen at least once a week.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm thinking of buying 3 firestarters while the sale is going. My understanding is that it's a pretty good base for running in circles and shooting assaults in the rear end.

Two questions: would it be better to do that or just buy 2 more cicadas to go with the event one I already have? I know the cicadas play differently, so not having essentially 3 of the same mech might be a good thing.

Second, if I go with the 3 firestarters, which 3 variants?

3 of the same mech (different variants) is how you get to elite skills, which is super important.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Bait and Swatch posted:

Why isn't there fishing in this game? I want to fish, most good games have fishing yet this doesn't. Later losers, enjoy your poo poo no-fishing game.

I'd be all for fishing for cbills while waiting for peek'n'poke time to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Sard posted:

The best thing about MWLL was the lack of a mech lab. I hope future BT games take note and keep a balance between appealing to customization and established flavor.

MWLL is the only Battletech anything without a mech lab. Customizing your mechs and tanks and whatever is such a huge part of Battletech that removing it would be dooming your game.

• Locked thread