Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

"Hrmm let's see what's popular on the Something Awful games forum right now. Hrmmm... Oh weird, the Starbound thread is active? Wonder what's up with that.

jonsicoli posted:

Counterpoint:

(From Skyrim or something, not Starbound)
:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Molybdenum posted:

What's so terrible about the game, excepting developer social media gaffs?
A long string of taking good mechanics out back to shoot execution style while calling it progress. So people who followed the development have more to be :sigh: over.

One particular example being how we used to have some of the coolest grappling hooks in gaming. So good I went into the asteroid fields without flight or teleport techs (oh right, they removed flight techs didn't they?) and just trusted my ability to stop my twice terminal velocity fall and then catapult back upwards a mile.

Not so much these days, last I tried using them was a them refusing to connect to terrain over and over and limp string physics.

EDIT: Oh right, different star game :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 10, 2018

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Molybdenum posted:

They (probably) don't have the rights to make the game and are trying to shut up the original devs through legal bullying.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

I Said No posted:

if those are gently caress and kill, who's marry

Starsector :v:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

in response to the original developers wanting to make a proper sequel and pick up on all the plot hooks they left, stardock, already known villains, are making a game called star control that takes place before the original game but also in a completely different universe so they don't have to worry about any of that pesky 'quality' stuff that was present in the story of the original

i'll grant that it looks graphically competent but gently caress 'em i wanna see where the god drat rainbow worlds point

fake edit because i looked up a screenshot of SC:O while i was typing this: never mind that poo poo I SAID ABOUT GRAPHICS this better be EARLY AS gently caress

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Molybdenum posted:

Starbound was fun mid-way through development, but now it's a huge slog and a lot of that is due to either changes that were made or just bad design from the get go, like railroading implemented in the early game so you can't just go out and punch trees and go discover other planets, weakening ranged weapons to uselessness, removing the ability to easily collect ore from sand, and the fact that crops need a ridiculous amount of babysitting to grow. The game's just not fun.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Starbound was fun mid-way through development, but now it's a huge slog and a lot of that is due to either changes that were made or just bad design from the get go, like railroading implemented in the early game so you can't just go out and punch trees and go discover other planets, weakening ranged weapons to uselessness, removing the ability to easily collect ore from sand, and the fact that crops need a ridiculous amount of babysitting to grow. The game's just not fun.

But worst of all they took away the grappling hook.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Patware posted:

fake edit because i looked up a screenshot of SC:O while i was typing this: never mind that poo poo I SAID ABOUT GRAPHICS this better be EARLY AS gently caress

:ohdear: they blew up the Zhangye Danxia fireworks factory!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

Also every time you reached a new tier (of which there were at least 8) you had to basically start over on grinding because your old armor and such were useless against new stuff, and you couldn't leapfrog at all because you need specifically the previous tier to collect each successive tier.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

This was the gravest of crimes on top of the grave.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

oh boy time to read some new posts in my thread!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IsSpAOD6K8

For real though there's a lot of doom and gloom in the thread but you generally will get people actually answering questions so feel free to ask away

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

My biggest beef was taking away the randomized monsters/aliens so you really had to remember what was hostile and what wasn't for each world.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

frogge posted:

My biggest beef was taking away the randomized monsters/aliens so you really had to remember what was hostile and what wasn't for each world.

I stopped following development around 2016, mostly because I'd moved on and had life poo poo going on (namely getting diagnosed with end stage renal disease), but I think the move to unique monsters was a good idea in principle, the problem was it was done way too late and was such a dramatic change that it disrupted the structure of the game. When people have to relearn a game it erases their investment (let alone doing poo poo like making people lose their saves) and all but the most die hard will tolerate it a handful of times before giving up in frustration.

Originally, when we were just 3 artists, our brief called for 100 monsters for the entire game, and the plan was that each artist would design and animate 30 or so. Eventually the prevailing opinion was that even if we could manage 100 unique monsters between the 3 of us (we couldn't), it wouldn't be anywhere near enough for the scope we ended up cornering ourselves into. Tiy was a fan of the way Borderlands stitched together gun parts so they could brag about having billions of guns and had already set the same idea in motion for the guns in our game, so he had the idea to apply it to monsters too and make up the numbers for a fraction of the work. Of course the problems that arise from that have already been covered in the thread, and we tried pointing them out at the time, but we were so occupied with making up the numbers to keep in line with everything that had been promised it went unanswered. But from a logistical and graphical perspective I'm still really proud of the system because even though I didn't necessarily agree with its purpose, a lot of thought and design went into making it work for the parameters we were given.

It's good they went to unique monsters eventually but it's really something we should have done from the start as a full measure rather than the half measure that genned monsters wound up being. With games like this such fundamental changes late in its life cycle just alienates the player base and it sounds like this was just one of many.

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 10, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rhopunzel posted:

With games like this such fundamental changes late in its life cycle just alienates the player base and it sounds like this was just one of many.

That's basically starbound.txt, yes. It's hard to name something that wasn't heavily changed late in the life cycle, almost entirely for the worse.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

And man, did Tiy really miss the mark on aping Borderlands' "billions of guns" system. You see, even that system had unwavering consistency. Everyone who plays a BL game knows the general difference between a Jacob and a Torque, a Maliwan vs a Bandit.

That's why that system works.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Cathair posted:

Starsector :v:

You'll be in the ground far before it gets to 1.0 though :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

And man, did Tiy really miss the mark on aping Borderlands' "billions of guns" system. You see, even that system had unwavering consistency. Everyone who plays a BL game knows the general difference between a Jacob and a Torque, a Maliwan vs a Bandit.

Yeah, for all the games' flaws, there's consistent elements and understanding to be had about what they are and how they work, and you can figure out how a gun works and how to incorporate it into your playstyle without even having to crunch the numbers.

And Terraria introduced random weapon elements as a modifier to set stats, so you have an idea of how one weapon differs from another. (and with enough money, can reforge it to the best set of modifiers anyway)

Imitation without understanding seems like a common theme.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I still load up and have fun occasionally. I would probably buy a content pack that adds a shitton more to enemy variety/fixes food stacking/gives the grappling hook back.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Much like Borderlands procedural guns with billions of potential combinations was a selling point of the game. Unlike Borderlands somebody just looked at that and declared "gently caress guns, make them useless." Procedural guns and monsters were literally selling points of the game but, along with basically everything that was actually fun, got removed. That's probably the biggest reason people intensely dislike the game; it's like Tiyuri just decided that fun was bad along the way while ignoring what was actually literally promised.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Demiurge4 posted:

Hey now, you can't just MENTION the grappling hook without showing what wha it was like!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnhk6bQK_CU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Zereth posted:

Hey now, you can't just MENTION the grappling hook without showing what wha it was like!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnhk6bQK_CU

I am extremely triggered right now.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The good old days.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Yeah rhopunzel I think it was maybe a good move in the end because the randomized monsters were all built out of the same bag of parts with different colors of paint, but the loss of even that type of diversity made exploring less fun overall.

Were you the goon that posted the poo poo I'm dying thread in GBS? If so I wrote some bad jokes in that thread I'd like to say I didn't really mean, was just doing the whole GBS shitposting schtick. Whether that was you or not, hope all's well.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

frogge posted:

Yeah rhopunzel I think it was maybe a good move in the end because the randomized monsters were all built out of the same bag of parts with different colors of paint, but the loss of even that type of diversity made exploring less fun overall.

Were you the goon that posted the poo poo I'm dying thread in GBS? If so I wrote some bad jokes in that thread I'd like to say I didn't really mean, was just doing the whole GBS shitposting schtick. Whether that was you or not, hope all's well.

No, I only really post in the F1 thread besides this one occasionally and I haven't really posted publicly about it. I'm not dying but I would have if I hadn't have decided to get a check up on a whim and had it go undiagnosed. Now I'm on the transplant list and doing dialysis. It'll be expensive and the wait list is like 8 years, but because of my blood type and age they think it could be much shorter. It sucks, but it could be worse.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

drat, hope you get some new kidneys soon dude.

So, uh, is this the kind of game that I should just play unmodded the first time? I'm coming from Terraria, basically because neither the game nor my favourite mods have seen an update in a while. Really just like to explore and occasionally build stuff. More biomes, dungeons and mobs sounds cool and I've seen mods for that, but I'm not sure if its necessary or perhaps too overwhelming the first time around.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

drat, hope you get some new kidneys soon dude.

So, uh, is this the kind of game that I should just play unmodded the first time? I'm coming from Terraria, basically because neither the game nor my favourite mods have seen an update in a while. Really just like to explore and occasionally build stuff. More biomes, dungeons and mobs sounds cool and I've seen mods for that, but I'm not sure if its necessary or perhaps too overwhelming the first time around.

This is the kind of game that you should not play, at all.

e: not a shitpost. This game is empty and shallow and after the veneer wears off you'll quickly realize there's no reason to go anywhere or do anything as all the planets are basically the same and the gameplay has all the depth of a half-filled kiddie pool.

It's also probably not going to be updated past the point yhat it is, considering that the last handful of updates by the dev team were:
* a cancellation of a forthcoming update after having worked on it for around 6 months
* an agressive push to get the game ported to xbone as quickly as possible
* an announcement that the game was now available through the Discord Store, which is apparently a thing now.
all multiple months spart from each other.

It's pretty obvious they're just wringing it for as much profit as they can at this point and have no interest in continued development, you're better off looking elsewhere for your blockgame fix.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 7, 2018

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Cicadas! posted:

e: not a shitpost. This game is empty and shallow and after the veneer wears off you'll quickly realize there's no reason to go anywhere or do anything as all the planets are basically the same and the gameplay has all the depth of a half-filled kiddie pool.

So I'll take that as a yes, do install content mods.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Okay, well, it sounds like you're determined to make this mistake despite my advice, so in that case I suggest you go to the repository and download all the highest-rated mods to maximize your "fun." I hope that it keeps you occupied for long enough that you never return here.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I, too, enjoy self flagellation.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

To an extent they might make it more enjoyable, but they're somewhat limited in scope of what they can do. The only large-scale change mod is made by massive assholes who've been driving other people out of modding and stealing other people's content for ages, and likes to sic their userbase on people they don't like, which has resulted in a stagnant, predatory mod scene that Chucklefish for whatever reason isn't inclined to clean up. Even that one large scale mod more or less only bolts on a bunch of new content rather than actually transform the game in and of itself.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I Said No posted:

To an extent they might make it more enjoyable, but they're somewhat limited in scope of what they can do. The only large-scale change mod is made by massive assholes who've been driving other people out of modding and stealing other people's content for ages, and likes to sic their userbase on people they don't like, which has resulted in a stagnant, predatory mod scene that Chucklefish for whatever reason isn't inclined to clean up. Even that one large scale mod more or less only bolts on a bunch of new content rather than actually transform the game in and of itself.
Doesn't it add a lot of busywork and intermediate crafting steps and poo poo, too?

EDIT: I've played Terraria mods that do more toe genuinely change how he game plays than anything I've ever heard of for Starbound.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Only if you like adding more useless steps to crafting.

If you already bought this game I'm sorry but not playing it is far better than trying to play it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Zereth posted:

Doesn't it add a lot of busywork and intermediate crafting steps and poo poo, too?

EDIT: I've played Terraria mods that do more toe genuinely change how he game plays than anything I've ever heard of for Starbound.

Yeah, the Frackin Universe mods are spergy as all hell.

I like a lot of what they add but I also hate a lot of it too, it muddies the already garbo progression system that the game has even more.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Wow, it's like I posted in the Star Citizen thread by mistake :haw:

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Only if you like adding more useless steps to crafting.

If you already bought this game I'm sorry but not playing it is far better than trying to play it.

Yeah I bought it before posting. Guess I'll give it a shot and see how crap it is.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
God have mercy on your soul, because we sure won't.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Rhopunzel posted:

No, I only really post in the F1 thread besides this one occasionally and I haven't really posted publicly about it. I'm not dying but I would have if I hadn't have decided to get a check up on a whim and had it go undiagnosed. Now I'm on the transplant list and doing dialysis. It'll be expensive and the wait list is like 8 years, but because of my blood type and age they think it could be much shorter. It sucks, but it could be worse.

Jesus dude, be well. I hope you get some loving sweet rear end kidneys.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wow, it's like I posted in the Star Citizen thread by mistake :haw:

starbound does have jpegs for spaceships and a lot of dead air..

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Check out the subreddit for the game if you want hype. This place is more of a haunted graveyard of the hopes we once had for this game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

frogge posted:

Check out the subreddit for the game if you want hype. This place is more of a haunted graveyard of the hopes we once had for this game.

Unlike other threads in Games, this one is brutally honest. That is wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

This game is still the worst birthday present I have ever received.