Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Not advice, but sometimes I'll just sit at a light on a hill and put my foot behind the foot peg and let it dig into my shin like a man, not use any brake, the bike is being stopped from rolling back by my left foot.

Don't do this. I know it's tempting because it puts your foot in the right position to hang it back for 200 ft until you get up the courage to put your feet on the pegs, but don't do that.

Make it your goal to have both feet on the pegs before the bike has moved 12 inches forward from a stop. This is easier if one foot is already on the right peg and rear brake, and your hand doesn't have to be holding the front brake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I like to alternate holding the front and rear brakes on a hill so it looks like I have a pneumatic suspension and I'm flipping switches

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I mostly use the front brake for holding it on hills. Either brake has pros and cons. Pro of using front brake: you can keep your left foot on the peg, so you can leave the bike in neutral and not switch the foot you're leaning on to kick it into gear quickly. Con: requires more skill to gently hold the brake, and roll on throttle in a controlled way.

Pro of using rear brake: easier to control the throttle. Con: you have to switch the foot you lean on to put the bike in gear, or you have to hold the clutch all the time.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 3, 2021

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Not advice, but sometimes I'll just sit at a light on a hill and put my foot behind the foot peg and let it dig into my shin like a man, not use any brake, the bike is being stopped from rolling back by my left foot.
Don't do this. There is a list of things that could go wrong and properly gently caress you and your leg up.

quote:

Other times I'll use the front brake with two fingers and roll the throttle on and work the clutch simultaneously at take off.
This is ok, but

quote:

I have not thought about using the rear brake and appreciate that info.
You should be doing this every time you're stopped. Did they not cover this in your MSF course?

edit: also, "like a man" is the root of like 95% of stupid poo poo that happens on motorbikes.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 3, 2021

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Coydog posted:

Don't do this. I know it's tempting because it puts your foot in the right position to hang it back for 200 ft until you get up the courage to put your feet on the pegs, but don't do that.

Make it your goal to have both feet on the pegs before the bike has moved 12 inches forward from a stop. This is easier if one foot is already on the right peg and rear brake, and your hand doesn't have to be holding the front brake.

Ha. Yeah. I'm not really hanging my feet off when starting at all. It is literally because I was being too lazy to brake. I am going to try the rear brake, it sounds like the best option tbh.

One thing I appreciate from the MSF class was that it's ok to take a step or two when launching from first. Then just get your feet up. Before that I was just raising my feet up at the same time as rolling on the throttle and releasing the clutch. It uses more brain power unnecessarily, especially if you are turning at the same time.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Don't do this. There is a list of things that could go wrong and properly gently caress you and your leg up.

When someone posts something immensely useful I am just commenting on awkward things I am doing as a new rider because I think people might think it is funny, and maybe people might relate or be doing similar things. If this thread is for serious advice only discussion and questions, I'll stop. Quite literally that was self depreciating humor, and I thought I was being clear by saying it was not advice, saying how someone else's advice will help me.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 3, 2021

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Yes, but pull your feet up quick after setting off, having them hanging down can be dangerous.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

When someone posts something immensely useful I am just commenting on awkward things I am doing as a new rider because I think people might think it is funny, and maybe people might relate or be doing similar things. If this thread is for serious advice only discussion and questions, I'll stop. Quite literally that was self depreciating humor, and I thought I was being clear by saying it was not advice, saying how someone else's advice will help me.

Ok, gotcha. Yeah, generally we try to keep this thread free of too much buffoonery just because a lot of this really technical stuff is hard to parse if it's delivered in the normal something is awful forums tone. Also it's supposed to be the only thread in CA where questions are taken seriously and not given a dickish reply, so you should feel safe to discuss any new rider stuff.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

One thing I appreciate from the MSF class was that it's ok to take a step or two when launching from first. Then just get your feet up.

I'm by no means an expert but this seems terrible. Maybe it adds a comfort at first but it builds bad habits.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Before that I was just raising my feet up at the same time as rolling on the throttle and releasing the clutch. It uses more brain power unnecessarily, especially if you are turning at the same time.

This is good and fine if you want to hold the front brake instead, or are on a flat surface. Don't worry about brain power, all of this will be second nature in no time and you won't even know you are doing it.

Don't think I'm slinging heat at you or whatever. It's all fine and just a topic I wanted to discuss and make note of. The "dangling leg" sort of thing (which it doesn't seem like you do) is one of my annoyances with new riders. It SEEMS like it would help if the bike gets a little wonky off a start. What actually happens if you put your foot down to correct is A) You shatter your leg bones or B) you send the bike careening into a drunken wobble.

The bike is already balanced. Trust it and focus on a smooth start and looking where you want to go.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I like to alternate holding the front and rear brakes on a hill so it looks like I have a pneumatic suspension and I'm flipping switches

:krad: :awesomelon:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

One thing I appreciate from the MSF class was that it's ok to take a step or two when launching from first.
That's counts as an error on both the 'MSF' equivalent and full test here(BC). Left foot comes off the ground and goes to the peg. When stopping, left foot comes off the peg to the ground and doesn't move. Right foot stays on the peg and holds the rear brake.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bike moving: feet on the pegs

Bike stopped: one foot on the ground

Bike moving/bike stopped is, in fact, binary and you don't need to have your foot dragging when it's doing 1km/h.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

My MSF (in BC) did a little on hill starts because of the parking lot we were able to use.

The more I ride the bike around town to and from work and the store and random trips the more I use the rear brake a lot more than I thought I would.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 3, 2021

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I think I'll stop taking a step with the bike then. It's not something that feels natural anyway. I was occasionally doing it because it was strongly suggested to all of us during training. Yeah, if you put your foot down when the bike is already going it's just going to destabilize it.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 3, 2021

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My usual goal while riding is to have my feet on the ground as little as possible. Maybe don't do this right now because this is the newbies thread but I'm sure I'm not the only one who plays the "lets see how long I can wait before putting a foot down" game when I approach a red light. At some point I may mess that up and look like a complete idiot at an intersection though.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Lol the traffic light I hit most often takes forever to change and is at the top of a steep hill so I play that game for minutes. Somehow waiting 2 mins for a light to change on a bike feels 10x as long as doing it in a car.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

MomJeans420 posted:

My usual goal while riding is to have my feet on the ground as little as possible. Maybe don't do this right now because this is the newbies thread but I'm sure I'm not the only one who plays the "lets see how long I can wait before putting a foot down" game when I approach a red light. At some point I may mess that up and look like a complete idiot at an intersection though.
ive attempted to track stand (stationary balance) my motorcycle at lights but im not sure its possible

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 3, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

numberoneposter posted:

My MSF (in BC) did a little on hill starts because of the parking lot we were able to use.

The more I ride the bike around town to and from work and the store and random trips the more I use the rear brake a lot more than I thought I would.

The rear brake is useful for a good half dozen different things and actual braking is pretty far down the list. It's a super useful tool, just not for slowing down in a hurry. People, reasonably, conclude that if they can brake hard enough to lift the rear then the rear brake is redundant. This is true in a sheer stopping power sense, but the rear brake makes the bike hunker down on the rear more, reduces load on the front and increases stability enormously. So even though the front is doing the actual work of stopping, the rear puts the bike in a better attitude which makes the front brake's and chassis' job easier.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

GriszledMelkaba posted:

lol I, too, find this hilarious

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

If the hill is steep enough, the front brake won't hold the bike still. This was instilled in me by my riding instructor who knew exactly where in town such a hill existed and took me there to practice hill starts. When I tried with only the front brake the front tire started skidding backward.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

pun pundit posted:

If the hill is steep enough, the front brake won't hold the bike still. This was instilled in me by my riding instructor who knew exactly where in town such a hill existed and took me there to practice hill starts. When I tried with only the front brake the front tire started skidding backward.

I've found when unloading bikes from my van backwards down my ramp, which is covered in skateboard grip stuff, that the more front-heavy the bike is, the more useful the front is. So a Harley will pretty much just skid the whole way down the ramp if I try using the front, a sportbike can get down using only the front.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Pro move at stop signs is to manage a complete stop and start without ever having to put a foot down.

Also a lot of worrying about how to deal with hills goes away once you've been riding enough. I had to stop behind a car, scoot up and stop again at the sign on a steep hill yesterday, and I honestly can't even remember what specifically I did with my feet or which brake I used and how. I remember being aware of having to slip the clutch a lot to get moving but beyond that it just happened :shrug:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

numberoneposter posted:

ive attempted to track stand (stationary balance) my motorcycle at lights but im not sure its possible

My dude have you heard of trials?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Anyone know Why some riders let their leg 'drag' in the air after taking off? I think it's a race thing but I don't get it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Anyone know Why some riders let their leg 'drag' in the air after taking off? I think it's a race thing but I don't get it.

Weak hip flexor, making them unable to get their leg up quickly enough.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

There is the Rossi dangle but that’s going into a braking zone/corner, not really taking off.

Personally I hover my plant foot over the ground probably sooner than I need to while slowing down or while inching my way through slow speed stuff. I think it’s just peace of mind safety net type thinking.

Russian Bear posted:

Weak hip flexor, making them unable to get their leg up quickly enough.

Man speaking of hip flexors, if I stretch my leg out for a sec then pull it back up I get the worst Charlie horses like half the time, is that a just me thing?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

It's not just you.

Gotta limber up.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I keep my feet in my armpits while riding

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

SEKCobra posted:

It's because they are dumb cowards hth

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I was gonna come back to this discussion and ask if anyone who does the foot drag or a walking start also does it on a bicycle. But then when I was driving around town I saw no less than 4 cyclists push off from a stoplight with about 3-4 kicks before putting weight on the pedals and pedaling. :wtc:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i saw a guy on an ADV last night foot waddling his bike in traffic but he also looked like he could barely flat foot.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Sometimes you do gotta do the exaggerated leg flailing walk as you start off just to make sure everybody around knows you're a weird idiot

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've only been to Rhode Island once, but for some reason every guy on a Harley there did the Fred Flintsone across every intersection when taking off from a light. I've only seen that there, it's a phenomenon I don't understand.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Last time out I did the right foot on brake thing at a stop, works well. Probably gonna be default for me now.

Uh, my bike is a little big for me. My feet touch but just barely. It's also the bike I wanted so it was just a tradeoff.

How do I get on and off without looking like a clown? I sorta have to jump off and bounce on one leg since my other doesn't like to go that high.

Can I like use the left foot peg to stand on while getting off, or throw it in neutral and get off of it while it's still rolling and has forward momentum?

Sorta watching on YouTube how shorter people dismount enduro bikes or something, which are even bigger.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Depending on how sturdy your kickstand is, you can absolutely board/deboard it by standing on the peg like you're getting on a horse. I did that all the time on my Vstrom

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I kind of do the walk the first time I take off. For some reason my muscle memory shits the bed and I forget how to pull out off my parking spot.

My ADD brain kicking in and fidgeting while parked at lights is my preferred way of showing off that I'm a dumbass whole riding.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m usually instant-up once the bike isn’t completely stopped but every now and then I have a “duhh” moment where I stumble forward and do the duck walk of shame.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
LOL if you don't "reverse-pence" mount your motorcycle like this every time. Just LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OfActYLVnE

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Clearly Power Ranger is the correct way

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNuw01Kn0Jy/

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I like to lift my feet off the ground and pretend I’m walking as I pull away. Obviously you have to go faster or take bigger air steps as the bike speeds up.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yabba Dabba Doo!

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Foot on the break, give gas and feather the clutch to roll off :confused:

Wouldve failed the license handling test and driving test otherwise

Not sure if Ive posted it before, but heres the handling test we have here, that you have to complete before having a driving test on the public roads before you get your license.

You get two tries for each challenge, also its a fail if you drop your foot to the ground anytime youre not supposed to stop the bike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-ft7OrUETw
You can start from about 3 minutes in if you dont want to listen to gibberish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Patrocclesiastes posted:

its a fail if you drop your foot to the ground anytime youre not supposed to stop the bike

Same here, plus it's a warning (4 and you fail) for having your foot off the peg too early or too late.