Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Captainsalami posted:

I need a recommendation for a good home baking cookbook. I wanna learn how to bake breads and rolls and poo poo. Also would accept a good Chinese cookbook.

The Bouchon Bakery book is a good all around baking book. It has sections on bread, pastries, cakes, tarts, cookies.

The King Arthur flour website is a good resource as well. They have a test kitchen crew that tests out all the recipes. If you have trouble with then they also have a bakers hotline you can call to get advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Captainsalami posted:

I need a recommendation for a good home baking cookbook. I wanna learn how to bake breads and rolls and poo poo. Also would accept a good Chinese cookbook.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1118132718/ref=zg_bs_4197_30?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8DKMGS7SYTJ0M70PZJB4

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have now attempted 2 (different) “cake” recipes in my rice cooker, per some (fairly reputable, I guess?) websites.
I have a nice zojirushi.

Both recipes basically called for pouring in the batter and turning on white rice cook. I did, and it finished, and both times, it’s literally still been liquid.
I’m running my current one through a second cook, but the first time I remember having to run it like 3 or 4 full cook cycles.

What the gently caress? (Other than the gently caress being I’m never trying this gimmick poo poo again.)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm assuming the white rice setting uses fuzzy logic, check the manual for which one is a dumb cook.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah I think a zojirushi is too smart about making rice for those recipes to work. Unless the recipes were designed for a zojirushi? But even if they were, just make a real cake imo

Imbroglio
Mar 8, 2013
I made cake pretty successfully in a zojirushi in college. I used the brown rice setting because the cake was brown and I thought it would be funny, but it worked. Maybe because of the longer cooking time?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Imbroglio posted:

I made cake pretty successfully in a zojirushi in college. I used the brown rice setting because the cake was brown and I thought it would be funny, but it worked. Maybe because of the longer cooking time?

This sounds good. I had to run it 3 times but it worked. :)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 15, 2018

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I think mine literally has a cake setting, but I've never tried it

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
What's a good Zojiroshi model to get? I love my instant pot for a lot of things, but it leaves crusty semiburnt rice on the bottom like 3/5 times.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Annath posted:

What's a good Zojiroshi model to get? I love my instant pot for a lot of things, but it leaves crusty semiburnt rice on the bottom like 3/5 times.

I have this one and it's done a fine job for me, if you look under used & new there is a nice deal on an Amazon Warehouse one, that is how I got mine though I plid like $85 instead of $110. There are induction/pressure models that will cook like twice as fast but they cost nearly $400 so I don't think they are worth it unless you have money to burn.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Captainsalami posted:

Also would accept a good Chinese cookbook.

For your wok cookery, I've been pleased with everything I've tried from Grace Young's Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge thus far.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I've never once in my entire life drawn blood on any of my mandolines, not my $20 Progressive, not my mom's $30 Benriner that hasn't been sharpened once in 30 years and still glides though turnips, nor my monstrous Bron that keeps staring at my hands like the hellmouth from Metropolis. Nicked a fingernail, but that's about it.

Am I awesome, lucky, or are the rest of you just careless slobs who treat mandolines like iPads

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Am I awesome, lucky, or are the rest of you just careless slobs who treat mandolines like iPads

A little bit of B and a whole lotta C.

I haven't cut myself on a mandoline and I use mine a shitload. I have managed to cut myself on a veg peeler though, so that kinda even things out.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Two questions, one of which I'll probably repost to the cheap cooking food thread.

I grew up in a rural area in California and my mother grew up as one of eight kids + extended family on a literal farm in the central valley... As a young adult I lived in large communal houses so I still often cooked large meals to share. Everything I learned about cooking (and I have been a pretty prolific cook) was for large portion sizes. Now I'm only cooking for myself and occaisionally for my boyfriend. I'm really good at prepping things and freezing them, making big meals and portioning, keeping a good pantry etc. but I also work 60-70hours a week and work in a fine dining restaurant so I often eat at work. I'm having more food waste than I'd like, from accidentally buying doubles, from not getting to things in time, etc. Does anyone have a good app for keeping track of what you have on hand in fridge/freezer/pantry? Or is a note on my iphone the best? How do you all deal?

Secondly -

How do you all arrange your recipes/clippings/ideas for food? I was thinking of using an evernote notebook, but am open. Something I can use a web clipper for is ideal, as well as making my own notes. I clip from websites, apps, blogs and forums mostly.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I use a phone app called MyCookbook, which isn't amazing, but it caches all my recipes locally which is all I really wanted, and it's pretty adept at scraping recipes from blogs and so on. Typing my own recipes in isn't too painful when I have to do that on occasion.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Does anyone have a good app for keeping track of what you have on hand in fridge/freezer/pantry? Or is a note on my iphone the best? How do you all deal?

Cop-out answer that only works if you have storage space and can afford to invest in a stocked pantry: always keep nonperishables on hand, with 2x or 3x what you'd need for whatever recipe you'd want to make. Plan your meals at least a day in advance -- I do all my planning Saturday and my shopping Sunday, but even if you do shorter chunks that should be good -- so you can actually check perishables closer to when you need them. If you have a list that says you have yogurt, but when you reach for it there's green fuzz, that's not helpful.

Since you're keeping nonperishables in excess, when planning the recipes you can assume you have these staples which makes writing the list quicker. Every time you use the last or second to last portion of pasta, add it to the list.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

How do you all arrange your recipes/clippings/ideas for food? I was thinking of using an evernote notebook, but am open. Something I can use a web clipper for is ideal, as well as making my own notes. I clip from websites, apps, blogs and forums mostly.

I like pepperplate. Bookmarklet automatically imports ~60% of recipe sites, with an easy way to copy/paste if it can't do it automatically. Allows you to add ingredient and instruction sections such as [dough], [sauce], [assembly] so you don't accidentally put your garnish into the sauce, idiot. Using the recipes is a pleasure, too -- the font and layout is compact so most times you can still see the ingredients while you're scrolled down to the instructions, which makes referencing amounts easy. It also displays well on a half-screen, if you need to have two recipes side-by-side. Also has free scaling, so you can do 5/3 of a recipe to match your # of guests or the amt of an ingredient you want to use up.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Does anyone have a good app for keeping track of what you have on hand in fridge/freezer/pantry? Or is a note on my iphone the best? How do you all deal?

Paprika is great for organizing recipes, and it has iOS, Android, and PC versions (unfortunately each has to be bought separately though). It does tags, favorites/ratings, auto-clips from the web, and so on. It'll also help you build grocery lists from recipes/meals, and has cloud sync so you can sync that list with someone else's device (so I can build a list at home for my wife to see at the store). There's also a calendar planner if you want to plan ahead, it seems to work fine to me but we already have a white board we use to do that.

It does also have a pantry list thing but I've found it's just awful so I don't use it, it doesn't actually interact with the grocery list or meal list at all so like, what's the point?

I recommend getting a phone magnet or claw and hanging your phone while you cook, makes it very easy to follow recipes without your phone getting in the way or being in danger, plus you can click ingredients/steps of the recipe to track what you've done already.

Copying recipes from books is a little tedious by phone (there's probably a camera to text app out there that would work though) so I bought the PC version as well specifically for that.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Ymmv but the iOS built-in notes app works well enough for me. I know what staples I always have on hand, so I just keep a list of what's in the fridge or on the counter that I need to use soonish, sorted by type -- e.g.

quote:

Chicken quarters x4
Leftover pork shoulder x1000

Mushrooms
Artichoke x2
Corn on the cob x3

Peaches x4
Cherries

Brown rice pilaf
Cornbread
and then under that in the same file, I just keep a rough plan like

quote:

MON
Lunch - chicken quarter, brown rice pilaf, peach
Dinner - crisped pulled pork, corn on the cob
* buy spinach for lunches

TUES
L - chicken quarter, brown rice pilaf, spinach
D - out with friend
Super low-tech but I don't seem to need anything more developed. You can also share notes between people. Also obviously this doesn't keep track of recipes, just inventory.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I may be a weirdo (and also I've got maybe a dozen recipes that I specifically saved so far) but I actually just created a Google Drive folder for recipes. I copy (or transcribe) them into individual documents and just leave in a link to the source.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pepperplate has an app too. I only really use it if my laptop battery is dead. I also don't use its grocery list feature because I much prefer...

Anylist is great for making a grocery list. It automatically puts ingredients into categories so it's easier once you're at the store (though you have to train it that you prefer e.g. 'mint' go in the 'herbs' category instead of 'candy') and it does live syncing, so if one of us changes it the other knows right away. If we're both at the store, we can divide & conquer. If one of us is at home, we don't have to call or text to say "oh yeah grab x" since it just updates. The free version is fine for me, one of the premium features is multiple store tracking but I just created unique categories for this and it has learned that 'pistachios' should always go in the 'Costco' category.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My chef told me the mandolin is the most dangerous tool in the kitchen by far, because it punishes over confidence, and meek cooks are few and far betwren.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The trick is to use your palm for the last bit instead of your fingertips.

Still dangerous though.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ask me about cutting myself bad enough by shaving off the entirety of my palm and having to close down the kitchen for like a few hours because there was that much blood everywhere.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I have a ton of lemons that I've removed the peel/zest from to make syrup. What's something good to cook that can take a lot of juice?

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
On the mandolin train - those of you who use cut-proof gloves, do you usually put on a latex glove over the cut-proof glove?

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Lemon curd! Never not lemon curd.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Ignoranus posted:

I may be a weirdo (and also I've got maybe a dozen recipes that I specifically saved so far) but I actually just created a Google Drive folder for recipes. I copy (or transcribe) them into individual documents and just leave in a link to the source.

I have a google drive folder with recipes too. My wife an I use an application called. 'Our Groceries' which syncs between both of our phones so we can add stuff to our list and who ever makes it to the store can pick up what we need and is listed. It also allows for recipes with a list of ingredients which allows us to easily add stuff based on whats needed in the recipe.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ignoranus posted:

On the mandolin train - those of you who use cut-proof gloves, do you usually put on a latex glove over the cut-proof glove?

I do that. Mostly I'm worried about loose fibers falling into my prep area.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I've shaved half a millimetre off the tip of my middle finger on a deli slicer and I don't know how my body got rid of that much blood so quickly.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Comb Your Beard posted:

I have a ton of lemons that I've removed the peel/zest from to make syrup. What's something good to cook that can take a lot of juice?

legendof posted:

Lemon curd! Never not lemon curd.

Maybe do strawberry lemon curd, or some other mixture of flavors. A ton of the flavor for the curd comes from the zest that is already spoken for. If you use only juice, it will just be tangy, but really anemic on the flavor.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

spankmeister posted:

High risk, high reward?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
WTF is "Pork loin country style pork ribs boneless"? They were on sale at the supermarket, but I don't know what to do with them?

They're four cuts about 5 inches long and 2 inches thick. Lightly marbled. They certainly aren't 'ribs' as I'm used to seeing them. Are they loin cuts from close to the ribs? Can I cook them like I do normal pork chops (low and slow in the oven, then sear on the stovetop)?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

... keeping track of what you have on hand in fridge/freezer/pantry?

Secondly -

How do you all arrange your recipes/clippings/ideas for food?

1) A grocery list of staples I need to replenish and ingredients for the week's meals. I've tried apps but they end up being more work.

2) I have a 3 ring binder for recipes I've made and will make again. One off recipes I don't need to keep. But many people use Pinterest for exactly that. I try not to have more than 3 new recipes at a time otherwise I will never get to them.

spankmeister posted:

Still dangerous though.

Same. Mine has raised lip on the sides so I use my palm and as long as I don't push past the lip, I'm good to go. I only cook at home so I'm not under pressure to hurry.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Another vote for Paprika. Great app, at least on Android and PC. I don't own a map.

I can import recipes from a web page with just a copy/paste of the url. Very occasionally you'll need to go into the resulting recipe and adding some spaces depending on how the website does its formatting, but that's no big deal.

Only real criticism is that on the Android app, last I checked, the ingredients list is on a separate tab from the instructions, so if you're super absent minded like me, you'll have to hop between tabs to remember how many tablespoons of whatever you need.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Bagheera posted:

WTF is "Pork loin country style pork ribs boneless"? They were on sale at the supermarket, but I don't know what to do with them?

They're four cuts about 5 inches long and 2 inches thick. Lightly marbled. They certainly aren't 'ribs' as I'm used to seeing them. Are they loin cuts from close to the ribs? Can I cook them like I do normal pork chops (low and slow in the oven, then sear on the stovetop)?

Post a photo if you want me to be sure, but they are probably cuts from the shoulder end loin of the pork butt. Usually cut in a different direction and sold as Coppa Roast or used to make capicola and other charcuterie. Doesn't need an excessive amount of time to tenderize and should be pretty tender.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Bagheera posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_ribs#Other_cuts_and_preparations
Country-style ribs are cut from the blade end of the loin close to the pork shoulder. They are meatier than other rib cuts. They contain no rib bones, but instead contain parts of the shoulder blade (scapula).

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Comb Your Beard posted:

If you want, you can juice the lemons, put the juice into an ice cube tray, then take the frozen cubes and put them in a plastic bag. Then you have fresh frozen lemon juice whenever you need it. Pretty handy.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Seeking a good scotch egg recipe. Something a bit spicy. We've had trouble getting a runny middle.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Defenestration posted:

Seeking a good scotch egg recipe. Something a bit spicy. We've had trouble getting a runny middle.
To make a Scotch egg you boil an egg, peel it, wrap it in sausage, possibly dredge it in some kind of breading, and then deep fry 'em.

There's not a lot of moving parts here. If you want 'em spicier, use a hotter sausage. Want the yolks runnier, boil the eggs less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Defenestration posted:

Try Chef John's version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkPPn5ycsnc