Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Really drifting into the "read too many books and broke his brain" style of leftism.

Those friends who you know are some sort of anarchist but when you go "too bad about Bernie, huh?" they go "Look, what you gotta understand about Syndicalism is ..."

That never-leave-your-home-or-have-a-job leftism

Is this really how you see anyone who reads books you haven't read, or who invokes theories or words that you haven't heard?

Reading is good for you, and it never stops being good for you. Only a maniac idiot would really think there's such a thing as "too many books will break your brain," come on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Is this really how you see anyone who reads books you haven't read, or who invokes theories or words that you haven't heard?

Reading is good for you, and it never stops being good for you. Only a maniac idiot would really think there's such a thing as "too many books will break your brain," come on

Sounds like book reader talk to me :cop:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

knowing about the different kinds of leftists is absolutely bad for you

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If you can tell me the difference between a Proudhonist and a Menshivik, that's bad for you. You are not in any way aided by having that knowledge inside you

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

haha yeah alright book boy! You going to read some poo poo? Gonna turn some pages at us? Maybe broaden your mind and expand your spirit with many generations of human culture and knowledge? gently caress outta here

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Actually, by reading philosophy and history, we come to better understand the phenomena we encounter in our own time, including the beliefs expressed by others. We better develop our ideas and become better at articulating them.

Reading is good for you!

Gripweed posted:

If you can tell me the difference between a Proudhonist and a Menshivik, that's bad for you. You are not in any way aided by having that knowledge inside you

The Proudhonists were anarchists and the Mensheviks were social democrats. Do you really think someone is worse off for knowing that?

Even seemingly esoteric or outdated theory is useful for understanding our present moment. When Lenin went into exile for the second time, he read Hegel's Logic, and applied its ideas throughout the October Revolution

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 7, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Proudhonists were anarchists and the Mensheviks were social democrats. Do you really think someone is worse off for knowing that?

yes

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Why? This isn't even obscure history. Proudhon literally came up with anarchism and introduced that term to the world; at their peak, the Mensheviks were the Bolshevik's biggest opponents.

These people disagreed about important problems that are still relevant today, and reading about how they chose to handled those problems gives us great insights into our present concerns.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 7, 2020

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

On my best days I’m a C- poster and even I can tell this is dumb.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Really drifting into the "read too many books and broke his brain" style of leftism.

Those friends who you know are some sort of anarchist but when you go "too bad about Bernie, huh?" they go "Look, what you gotta understand about Syndicalism is ..."

That never-leave-your-home-or-have-a-job leftism

ok first off gently caress you second off what the gently caress else am i supposed to do during a pandemic?:qq:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Race Realists posted:

ok first off gently caress you second off what the gently caress else am i supposed to do during a pandemic?:qq:

Literally anything else

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Why? This isn't even obscure history. Proudhon literally came up with anarchism and introduced that term to the world; at their peak, the Mensheviks were the Bolshevik's biggest opponents.

These people disagreed about important problems that are still relevant today, and reading about how they chose to handled those problems gives us great insights into our present concerns.

Can it though? It kinda seems like having opinions about the different kinds of leftists tends to just inspire petty bickering about which one was right and which ones were counter-revolutionary.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

Can it though? It kinda seems like having opinions about the different kinds of leftists tends to just inspire petty bickering about which one was right and which ones were counter-revolutionary.

This absolutely tracks with my experiences

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

yes

ex. a: your posts

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Gripweed posted:

It's not petty unless the people involved are petty. These are important, practical concerns about how to accomplish lasting political and economic change, and ignoring disagreements there doesn't make them go away. They can be heated discussions because there's a lot on the line - because there's a lot on the line. Too much to say "I don't care about how anyone before me tried to change the world, I bet I can figure it out without their ideas and experiences, without all those books filling my head with nonsense"

The Muppets On PCP posted:

yes

ex. a: your posts

I'm really surprised at the number of Chapo Trap House fans who apparently would've thought Marx was a huge loser who read too many books to get anything done. The dude did nothing beyond read, write, and give speeches

Maybe my posts suck, they probably do, but to suggest it's because I've read too much is extremely bizarre anti-intellectualism (and I'm not even an intellectual)

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 7, 2020

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

It's not petty unless the people involved are petty. These are important, practical concerns about how to accomplish lasting political and economic change, and ignoring disagreements there doesn't make them go away. They can be heated discussions because there's a lot on the line - because there's a lot on the line. Too much to say "I don't care about how anyone before me tried to change the world, I bet I can figure it out without their ideas and experiences, without all those books filling my head with nonsense"

Of course an ekunnist would say that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Maybe my posts suck, they probably do, but to suggest it's because I've read too much is extremely bizarre anti-intellectualism (and I'm not even an intellectual)

Ahh you're just mad that people are denigrating your hobby. I'm sorry, that was never my intention.

Some people game, some people vape, some people read. All people are valid.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Ahh you're just mad that people are denigrating your hobby. I'm sorry, that was never my intention.

No, I don't read nearly as much as I should. But I teach kids, including literacy skills, so it really does rub me the wrong way when someone suggests that reading too much is bad for you. Because reading too much can literally never be bad for you unless it robs you of time that you need to spend doing something else, and this is wildly obvious to me

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

What a wonder modern technology is. Lenin had to read Hegel's Logic, now we can just listen to Logic

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

No, I don't read nearly as much as I should. But I teach kids, including literacy skills, so it really does rub me the wrong way when someone suggests that reading too much is bad for you. Because reading too much can literally never be bad for you unless it robs you of time that you need to spend doing something else, and this is wildly obvious to me

Reading is absolutely good. But people should read about cool stuff like spaceship battles.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Reading is absolutely good. But people should read about cool stuff like general semantics.

I'm glad we agree

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Lord-General Varich Semantics

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wow looks like once again Mao was right, this time about the intellectuals

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Wow looks like once again Mao was right, this time about the intellectuals

Where'd you learn about Mao's stance toward intellectuals? From a book?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Where'd you learn about Mao's stance toward intellectuals? From a book?

Memes, like a normal person

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The North Tower posted:

On my best days I’m a C- poster and even I can tell this is dumb.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Memes, like a normal person

Why god?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Gripweed posted:

You're so right dude; it's not like reading is much worse than following reality television. Whatever floats your boat Civilized Fishbot.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

My quarantine has been ok. I already worked from home and dealt with mental health stuff, so I felt prepared by prior experiences to weather this out. Having a wife and dog is helpful, as are video games, and making music, and reading, and weed.

Do what it takes to feel ok. Don’t think about should, just think about could or would.

My mom, who doesn’t drink by herself, and had a pretty active social life, is going stir loving crazy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

thotsky posted:

You're so right dude; it's not like reading is much worse than following reality television. Whatever floats your boat Civilized Fishbot.

Using "reality television" as your go-to example of frivolous media is lowkey misogynistic dude.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like what you need to get through quarantine is a wife, three cats, a computer touching job and a case of the 'tism, good to know for next time

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

selec posted:

My mom, who doesn’t drink by herself, and had a pretty active social life, is going stir loving crazy.

My sister is losing her mind. She is completely unable to sit with herself or deal with the negative introspection that comes with it, so she is in her early 30s and never outgrew the need to sprint out the door every time the specter of self reflection raises its head. Her entire social life revolves around hanging out with lovely friends of convenience at the dive bars around town and using them as an excuse to drink and ignore the rest of her life. So quarantine is forcing her to confront that reality on the one hand, but on the other it's making her manic and miserable on account of her never developing the tools to cope with her own internality.

Gripweed posted:

Using "reality television" as your go-to example of frivolous media is lowkey misogynistic dude.

Reality tv is pretty dumb and bad, even by tv standards, which are already dumb and bad.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

SlimGoodbody posted:

My sister is losing her mind. She is completely unable to sit with herself or deal with the negative introspection that comes with it, so she is in her early 30s and never outgrew the need to sprint out the door every time the specter of self reflection raises its head. Her entire social life revolves around hanging out with lovely friends of convenience at the dive bars around town and using them as an excuse to drink and ignore the rest of her life. So quarantine is forcing her to confront that reality on the one hand, but on the other it's making her manic and miserable on account of her never developing the tools to cope with her own internality.

What's her number?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SlimGoodbody posted:

This is an insanely weird and judgy way of thinking about someone???

Gripweed posted:

What's her number?

my man

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

So did anyone listen to the new Inebriated Past?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Gripweed posted:

What's her number?

She actually just started dating her first decent, upstanding communist instead of the god awful dregs of the bar scene, so you missed your shot. Otherwise we'd be taking this to the PMs

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

upstanding communist

:mmmhmm:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Crane Fist posted:

This is an insanely weird and judgy way of thinking about someone???

Buddy I've known my sister her entire life, she is one of my best friends, she's been my roommate many times, we know all each other's damage, and we literally have had the quoted conversation many times because it's something she recognizes and is in therapy trying to work on. She calls me twice a week to help talk her through panic and anxiety about her self destructive desire to sprint into toxic social situations to avoid being alone. I made an award winning short documentary with her about the personal traumas that have penned her in. Take the pearl clutching to weepytown and gasp about it there, sorry you don't have a loving relationship of radical honesty and compassion with your family

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Gripweed posted:

You're right, I'm really sorry. I should have gone with "jacking off", but I hear that's straight up unhealthy these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SlimGoodbody posted:

Buddy I've known my sister her entire life, she is one of my best friends, she's been my roommate many times, we know all each other's damage, and we literally have had the quoted conversation many times because it's something she recognizes and is in therapy trying to work on. She calls me twice a week to help talk her through panic and anxiety about her self destructive desire to sprint into toxic social situations to avoid being alone. I made an award winning short documentary with her about the personal traumas that have penned her in. Take the pearl clutching to weepytown and gasp about it there, sorry you don't have a loving relationship of radical honesty and compassion with your family

lmao yeah sure thing you weirdo. Try making some friends you're not related to and you might realise how weird this is