Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

frodnonnag posted:

That train of thought permeates industrial manufacturing in the US as well. I repair, calibrate and train on specific manufacturing equipment across the country and 9 out of 10 calls we get are pieces of equipment, literally 20-30 or 40+ years old and barely functional if at all, that need a complete rebuild due to lack of PM.

Yup. Hunter Harrison was a "railroad industry darling" for a while (until he died, anyway). Well, the investors loved him, because he did exactly this. Defer maintenance, extract as much money as he can in a short time for his buddies, then resign and move onto the next company. Rinse, repeat, and then the problem of letting rails go to hell comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Lol at the way it's all bunched up at the top. It looks like a fat person struggling to get a shirt off.
Nope nope no no no.

Nope.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

Posting here because it appears to be a work event. Just noticed all the babies but who has a weirdly empty room in what looks like an office building? Anyhow.

https://i.imgur.com/5W0ZHxh.gifv

You see a lot of offices with exercise bikes and ceiling fans, do you?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

LifeSunDeath posted:

I'm so glad someone finally invented and made popular silicone bands. cheap, easy to clean, will rip off probably before your skin does.

I don't think I'd trust that not to do some damage, that's like a hefty o ring

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

FCKGW posted:

I do (or have in the past), at least.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

shovelbum posted:

I don't think I'd trust that not to do some damage, that's like a hefty o ring

You perforate it for rapid marriage removal.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

FCKGW posted:

A office i deliver to has a marked out path for electric scooters so you can drive around the tiny office for some insanely stupid reason

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

A office i deliver to has a marked out path for electric scooters so you can drive around the tiny office for some insanely stupid reason

its for to impress the VC guys

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

FCKGW posted:

Well, a few inches to the left and it would have been a crime scene, making it a job site for someone.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
The other report I’ve seen recently that’s interesting is the report into the head on collision in Germany back in 2016.  The circumstances are that there was a single line section with a series of passing loops – like the Uckfield line I wrote about in the past.  Obviously that in itself is a risk. If there are two lines and trains are restricted to one direction moves on each head on collisions are basically impossible.  A single bidirectional line opens up the possibility of trains being run towards each other, so you have to have some pretty substantial risk mitigation in place to stop that.

The full report is in german, which I don’t speak.  I’ve got a summary and I’ve put bits and pieces of it into google translate.  I’m hosed if I’m going to do the whole thing bit by bit as it’s 103 pages long and too big to do in one go.

A train was already running one way on the single line when the signaller used a type of back up signal (amusingly called an “ersatzsignal” in German, for fans of non-English words in common English language usage) to allow a train going the other way into the already occupied section. That train, in accordance with the rules proceeded at caution for a little while, then got up to 100kph line speed.  The two trains collided at high speed head on and 12 people were killed, 11 at the time and one died a few months later from injuries. I can’t find anywhere that says if that includes the drivers. I would have assumed so, but the report talks about them in the present tense. That may be a translation thing.

The two trains were scheduled to cross over at Kolbermoor, however one of them was running 4 minutes late. As departure time came for the train at Kolbermoor the signaller gave it the route out onto the single line section, despite the fact that the one it was supposed to pass was still in the section and hadn’t made the passing point yet.

Interlocking means that shouldn’t be possible.  The signalling system won’t let the signaller set a route onto an already occupied section of line.  And in this case it didn’t. But the signaller didn’t realise why not. He assumed it was a technical fault of some description and overrode it using the backup “ersatzsignal” system.

The ersatzsignals seem to be similar to PoSA signals here – “Proceed on Sight Authority”.  Those are two lights mounted underneath the main signal aspect that, when flashing, give the driver authority to pass the signal at danger.  They are generally fitted to high traffic areas to allow flexibility for signallers when something goes wrong.

Under normal circumstances if a technical fault means the signaller loses proper indications for a section they will be unable to clear the route into it.  That means that each train will have to be talked past the signal. Each driver stops at the red aspect as normal. Then either the signaller calls them, or after a few minutes the driver calls the signaller.  The signaller has the power to authorise the driver to pass the signal at danger when they’ve confirmed the route ahead is set and they have ascertained there are no trains in the section ahead, i.e. everything is accounted for elsewhere and the last train through has been detected further down the line.  The driver still has to proceed at caution as the reasons for the technical fault might be something affecting the track, like floods or obstructions.

PoSA is just an automated method of doing the same.  The driver and the signaller don’t have to speak. Instead the signaller does what they would do normally to allow the driver to pass; they confirm no trains ahead, etc, and they operate the PoSA. The driver does what they would normally on seeing the PoSA – they proceed at caution.  There is no difference from the former procedure except the absence of a conversation between the two.

The German version is similar but crucially is not interlocked.  PoSAs can’t be set if the route ahead can’t be confirmed by points detection.  It appears ersatzsignals can be used even where points detection isn’t given. In this case the fact that there was already a train in the section means the points to exit at the other end wouldn’t have been set correctly and a PoSA would not have been able to be turned on.  All that was required for the signaller to use the ersatzsignal was their own decision to do so.

They were obviously supposed to follow some pretty stringent procedures before operating the ersatzsignal, as those procedures are effectively the only safety systems in place.  There is no engineered fail safe here, just a human one. And in this case the human one failed spectacularly as it was engaged in playing Dungeon Hunter 5 on its mobile.

Analysis of this guy’s phone indicated that 72% of the shift up to that point had been spent on Dungeon Hunter 5.  He was not using it at the moment he set the ersatzsignal, but was doing so only a few minutes before. He refused to answer further questions about his playing time in the preceding months. The investigation concluded this would have had a substantial negative effect on his ability to concentrate. A jury agreed and convicted him of 12 counts of involuntary manslaughter. He was sentenced to 5 years in prison and was recently released after serving 2.

I note that RAIB here in the UK have recently announced a class investigation into human factors, particularly looking at signalling errors. Their point is that engineered safeguards are most effective, then technological safeguards, and finally human ones rank lowest in terms of effectiveness. In Badaiblung the engineered safeguard would have been having two lines. The technological safeguard was the signal interlocking. The human safeguard was the procedure involved in overriding that and using the ersatzsignal. Compared to the other two our understanding of the ways human safeguards fail is not good.

Oh, also the signaller realised his error and could have possibly stopped the accident using an emergency stop signal on the radio.

He tried, but dialled the wrong number.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

LifeSunDeath posted:

I'm so glad someone finally invented and made popular silicone bands. cheap, easy to clean, will rip off probably before your skin does.

Hey ! I owned like 6 of this in different colors (only wore the black one tho) when I used to work at the Wall-World doing random handy-man garbage. I highly recommend these guys for anyone who works some sort of labor or skilled job. They are pretty cool and comfy besides the whole not getting degloved part. If I hadn't have gotten these new cool chain rings(thanks babe love ya) I'd still be wearing the silicone ones.

The only other good option is to not wear a ring at all when working. Or gloves.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/bBSXVJR.mp4

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

OrthoTrot posted:

OSHA: maybe they were in a hurry

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
My local train line is single line with 4 ish passing loops along it the 160~ish kilometers.
I think I'm going to sit at the back of the train from now on. :catstare:

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

I think I'm going to sit at the back of the train from now on. :catstare:

Also, sit backwards, lean your head back all the time and don't have someone sitting in front of you for maximum safety. Use two seats so you are neither too close to the exploding windows or the inner passage where people come flying at you.
You can do it, you can be the crazy person on the train!

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
A mine tailings dam ruptured in Brazil two weeks ago, about 40 miles from where I live. Someone sent the security cam footage to a news channel, and they're repeating it over and over pointing out all the people running around who are now dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUjsxOxt2lc

110 dead, 268 missing. They're saying soil liquefaction might have something to do with it.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Knitting Beetles posted:

A mine tailings dam ruptured in Brazil two weeks ago, about 40 miles from where I live. Someone sent the security cam footage to a news channel, and they're repeating it over and over pointing out all the people running around who are now dead.

110 dead, 268 missing. They're saying soil liquefaction might have something to do with it.

This is the same company that killed a bunch of people a year or so ago in the same way right? The one that said they're improving everything to ensure it never happens again (then didn't because lol, bonuses would get cut).

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Knitting Beetles posted:

That video looks like there's nothing but tree's behind the dam.
gently caress Brazil is totally getting destroyed by mining and deforestation. Makes me sad.
Rip the rainforest.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

jobson groeth posted:

This is the same company that killed a bunch of people a year or so ago in the same way right? The one that said they're improving everything to ensure it never happens again (then didn't because lol, bonuses would get cut).

Three years ago, but only 17 died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bento_Rodrigues_dam_disaster

It's full of bribery and getting out of taking responsibility on the company's part, as you can imagine. My wife and I drove past there a few months after it happened and the devastation was incredible. We stopped to take some pictures and some dude in a pickup drove up and told us to GTFO.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Knitting Beetles posted:

When the last one of these happened, a mine engineer I know was telling me about the wet compaction method they use in Brazil that is banned in Australia, Canada, the US and South Africa for tailings dams. He also said "17 dead is probably the lightest they'll get off when one of these falls over".

When your cost saving method is banned in South Africa, you know you done hosed up. But with Bolsanaro in charge, peasants dying so his mining mates can make money is going to be a regular occurrence :(

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Speaking of dam failures, the caption on the second picture in the Vajont Dam wikipedia article is uniquely horrifying/fascinating to me.

quote:

The Vajont Dam as seen from the village of Longarone in 2005, showing approximately the top 60–70 metres of concrete. The wall of water that overtopped the dam by 250 metres would have obscured virtually all of the blue sky in this photo.[1]

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

That video looks like there's nothing but tree's behind the dam.
gently caress Brazil is totally getting destroyed by mining and deforestation. Makes me sad.
Rip the rainforest.

At least it’s trying to fight back a little

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

LostCosmonaut posted:

Speaking of dam failures, the caption on the second picture in the Vajont Dam wikipedia article is uniquely horrifying/fascinating to me.

Is there another, bigger, dam upstream that failed? Where did 250 meters of water come from?

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Azhais posted:

Is there another, bigger, dam upstream that failed? Where did 250 meters of water come from?

A landslide. It's in the article.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Azhais posted:

The dam is still ok, it resisted a 2km cube of mountain crashing into the lake at 100kmh . The water didn't like it very much tough and relocated on the houses of the valley people.

The silliest thing about the whole tragedy was beautifully exposed in this brilliant piece of theatre/comedy https://youtu.be/hjx0iQYoSRI truly one of the highest notes of italian tv IMHO.

"They built a dam between mount Nudo (Barren) and mount Toc (Piece or Rotten, depending on the dialect) to harness the river Vajont (Va Giù, Goes Down).... "

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 2, 2019

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

LostCosmonaut posted:

I had never heard of this disaster, and man, it sounds like post-fascist Italian government was wildly corrupt. Look at this piece of poo poo:

Wikipedia posted:

Democrazia Cristiana, the party of prime minister Giovanni Leone, accused the Communist Party of 'political profiteering' from the tragedy. Leone promised to bring justice to the people killed in the disaster. A few months after he lost the premiership, he became the head of SADE's team of lawyers, who significantly reduced the amount of compensation for the survivors and ruled out payment for at least 600 victims

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Pacra posted:

I had never heard of this disaster, and man, it sounds like post-fascist Italian government was wildly corrupt. Look at this piece of poo poo:

Ahahaha, that's just capitalism bro.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oof, wow. Not a lot of stuff gets a physical reaction out of me, but that picture made me lean away from the monitor.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

This is really, really dangerous. WTF.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x135KtqifEc

For anyone curious about what water does in a (burning) deep fryer

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

DrPossum posted:

Even if the oil isn't on fire, the way they interact makes it crazy loving dangerous. The water sinks and flash boils, which means you get a nice expanding burst of hot oil going everywhere. Fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkAbV-yXy0M

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Sports chat from 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mi9axqd2pU

quote:

The Ragamuffin 100 racing yacht Scallywag had a near miss earlier this week during the warm-up for the Rolex Sydney Hobart regatta.

The 14-mile SOLAS Big Boat Challenge is traditionally used as a shakedown for the main event and it almost turned sour when a maritime patrol boat and a spectator vessel got a little too close to the action, as this dramatic aerial footage shows.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

This can't be real.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This can't be real.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OSHA/comments/am4j77/for_those_that_said_this_is_a_set_upfake_thats/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Holy gently caress. I don't think I would ever need money THAT badly.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My grandpa was a boilermaker for decades. He was also missing his ring finger past the second knuckle. I never asked the story but, based on this thread, I suspect they're connected.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

DrPossum posted:

This is why you don't use water on grease fires.....

E: OMG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az8y-yS5iMY
"What happens when you pour water on boiling oil (Russian Experiment)"
No injuries, but, wow.

jemand fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 2, 2019

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

It's not often one gets to use the term "Exhibit A" in its most literal sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

jemand posted:

E: OMG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az8y-yS5iMY
"What happens when you pour water on boiling oil (Russian Experiment)"
No injuries, but, wow.

(Piggy Screech)