Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mikojan posted:

I remember loving double eagle, but I honestly can't recall a single thing that happens in that book.

More or less same, even then I think I like it more than Titanicus.
Mostly because it doesn't have a pair of plotlines that feels superfluous, and an actual ending battle and not just one that goes "And then stuff happened" because he ran out of page space as per usual.
Not to mention it doesn't have a feeling of having too many plotlines crammed into one story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
The only scene you need to remember from Titanicus is the one with the skitarii who's so :buddy: about having an automatic grenade launcher. It's one of the best scenes in 40K fiction.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i like the idea that lots of chaos clowns steal valor for being at terra because it was such a horror show message and chaos is so hosed up and nuts, who is gonna try to prove it. most actual vets of terra are like deamons now or gibbering psychos or so high up the ladder no one cares. So like Jocius Baby Smasher of the orbit fornicators warband can say he personally pissed on the walls of dorn and dorn saw this and cried and poo poo himself, is anyone really gonna quastion him.

plus something that gets forgotten in most of the media, i haven't read the end of the siege series so i'm a bit behind on that, but there's a giant war in the webway at the base of the palace where there's titans and chaos space marines from the future as well as untold amounts of daemons that the custodians are dealing with, so technically a chaos marine can say he was at the emperor's palace because technically there is a connection between the webway and the palace in the imperial dungeon.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ardent Communist posted:

plus something that gets forgotten in most of the media, i haven't read the end of the siege series so i'm a bit behind on that, but there's a giant war in the webway at the base of the palace where there's titans and chaos space marines from the future as well as untold amounts of daemons that the custodians are dealing with, so technically a chaos marine can say he was at the emperor's palace because technically there is a connection between the webway and the palace in the imperial dungeon.

its also just trillions of combatents fighting. i can see it being easy to fake being there if you play your hand right.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kylaer posted:

The only scene you need to remember from Titanicus is the one with the skitarii who's so :buddy: about having an automatic grenade launcher. It's one of the best scenes in 40K fiction.

That whole conversation is great, and definitely a highlight of the book.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its also just trillions of combatents fighting. i can see it being easy to fake being there if you play your hand right.

Yeah I think for a lot of Chaos guys they were Just Another Guy on Terra.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
There's probably some guy that waited in queue for so long and just about made if off his dropship before having to turn around and get back in again because Horus carked it.

"Yes I was there on Terra on the day Horus slew the Emperor."

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Someone who was off pillaging Antarctica talking about how they were on Terra in the Heresy and were totally involved in the big siege of the Palace.

Because, lets face it, a lot of the dudes who actually breached the inner palace are the ones who were least likely to escape it when the tables turned.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
It's kinda important to note that a whooooooooooole lot of the traitors outside the eye of terror got absolutely murdeously hosed by loyalist reprisals after the conclusion of the siege. It was a pretty severe and comprehensive purge which is probably why the traitor legions immediately started infighting once they got bottled into the Eye.

I'm sure a lot of named charcters were there or whatever, but the Night Lord books make it pretty clear that the loyalists didn't pull any punches with their purge attempts.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 9, 2024

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Z the IVth posted:

There's probably some guy that waited in queue for so long and just about made if off his dropship before having to turn around and get back in again because Horus carked it.

"Yes I was there on Terra on the day Horus slew the Emperor."

Even if they never made it to Terra at all, just surviving in the Eye for (10,000 +/- $WARP_FUCKERY) years is decent evidence of them being badasses.

Chaos Astartes can't exactly take off the armour (sometimes literally) and get a desk job.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Well that was wild

When the fight started around 20% in or whatever I did wonder if it was going to then go on for most of the rest of the book and wasn't dissapointed. Loved it all except the dumb tarot card battle, it felt like the parts in the midway books where they were selling a new model

It's going to be odd not having an endless supply of sequels to look forward to

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You say that like there won't be a dozen books about The Scouring.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Arc Hammer posted:

You say that like there won't be a dozen books about The Scouring.

Only a dozen? That's EZ mode.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

This is true

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

What are even the big beats of the Scouring? Most of the traitor homeworlds are already cinders, aren't they

The Iron Cage is the most famous event by a long shot, then the destruction of Caliban I guess... then what? The Night Lords' last stand at Tsagualsa has been partially covered already, I guess it could get expanded upon but ehhh. The planet where Lorgar was chilling during TEATD could make for a bit of a story before it gets brutally eliminated. Anything else?

(A bunch of books about the reorganisation of the Imperium and the political clashes over the Codex could be really nice, but there's zero chance GW puts out any books without the required 5-10 battle scenes.)

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

NihilCredo posted:

(A bunch of books about the reorganisation of the Imperium and the political clashes over the Codex could be really nice, but there's zero chance GW puts out any books without the required 5-10 battle scenes.)

Chris Wraight could do it really well, judging from Watchers of the Throne.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Has there ever been anything about Goge Vandire outside of the codices? That would be cool. And if there already is, then idk maybe more would be good too?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Preechr posted:

Has there ever been anything about Goge Vandire outside of the codices? That would be cool. And if there already is, then idk maybe more would be good too?

He was well after the scouring but he does show up in the war of the beast series iirc

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

What are even the big beats of the Scouring? Most of the traitor homeworlds are already cinders, aren't they

I can see a really fun book waiting to be written on rearguard Alpha Legion stuff making the recovering Imperium chase its own tail, seed dissension over who may or may not still be a traitor, and the like.

The traitors finally heading into the Eye could make a good book as well.

Curze being recovered and told of all the madness on Terra, plus Sevatar's final fate, are also around this time.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

death of curze, ultramarines vs alpha legion, iron cage, there’s a lot of material for a scouring series

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

The Iron Cage is the most famous event by a long shot, then the destruction of Caliban I guess... then what? The Night Lords' last stand at Tsagualsa has been partially covered already, I guess it could get expanded upon but ehhh. The planet where Lorgar was chilling during TEATD could make for a bit of a story before it gets brutally eliminated. Anything else?

I could see a Skalthralax book, that's always felt like a fun setting in the moments it's been referenced in other material.

Scouring segues pretty naturally into the Legion Wars in the Eye, which have been covered somewhat by the Black Legion series but there's elements there that could be expanded on / developed.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Edit nvm

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The death/disappearance of Dorn and the entombment of Guilliman would be big Scouring beats. Essentially how the Scouring comes to a crashing halt as the remaining Primarchs vanish or withdraw and the seeds of the nascent Imperium begin to sprout and coalesce into the Imperium we know today.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

a lovely king posted:

I could see a Skalthralax book, that's always felt like a fun setting in the moments it's been referenced in other material.

There was a bit of a Skallathrax book. One of the Kharn-centered ones, with him still inert after the flight from Terra and an Emperor's Children officer stuck on WE ships on the flight after the defeat.

It was not very good.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i like the idea that lots of chaos clowns steal valor for being at terra because it was such a horror show message and chaos is so hosed up and nuts, who is gonna try to prove it. most actual vets of terra are like deamons now or gibbering psychos or so high up the ladder no one cares. So like Jocius Baby Smasher of the orbit fornicators warband can say he personally pissed on the walls of dorn and dorn saw this and cried and poo poo himself, is anyone really gonna quastion him.

I know in the word bearer books there's a Dreadnaught that used to lead the warband during the siege of terra, but now he's so crazy that EVERY battle is a battle at the gates of the Palace. Outside battle he's rather sane, but during it they have chains on him to keep him from charging to far and he's constantly screaming about going to kill the emperor. Everyone around him just shrugs and says "Yep, that's right old buddy, let's go kill us an Emperor".

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Arc Hammer posted:

The death/disappearance of Dorn and the entombment of Guilliman would be big Scouring beats. Essentially how the Scouring comes to a crashing halt as the remaining Primarchs vanish or withdraw and the seeds of the nascent Imperium begin to sprout and coalesce into the Imperium we know today.

Dorn goes missing/dies during the First Black Crusade, which is significantly later than the Scouring

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Huh I thought it was post-Iron Cage. The most I remember of the 1st Black Crusade was Sigismund fighting Abaddon

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

I feel like a Scouring series is the obvious lazy next step, but there's surely only so much mileage to be had from "and then the vengeful Imperial forces bombarded the traitor world from orbit, killing the entire population, just like they had at the previous 689 traitor worlds..."

I mean they'll probably do it, I'm just not sure how interesting it would be.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Roller Coast Guard posted:

I mean they'll probably do it, I'm just not sure how interesting it would be.

I'd read character focused novels from ADB and Abnett about named characters scrabbling to get out of dodge but tbh I'd rather them write some "modern day" books for a while.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
The only way to make it bearable would be to finally write a mostly violence-free Warhammer book. All politics, all personal fates, no war.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

FPyat posted:

The only way to make it bearable would be to finally write a mostly violence-free Warhammer book. All politics, all personal fates, no war.

Since all the authors compete to find the best way to slip the "In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war" tagline into their books, it's time to flip the script. "The point of everything we do is to achieve peace. What else would you expect, a future of only war?"

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

FPyat posted:

I'd watch a Mad Men style show with the primarchs.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

He just appeared in a vignette from pt2, but do we ever see more of that loyalist Word Bearer on Terra?

(The one who was waiting to assassinate Lorgar.)

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

moths posted:

He just appeared in a vignette from pt2, but do we ever see more of that loyalist Word Bearer on Terra?

(The one who was waiting to assassinate Lorgar.)

Nope, both he and Ingo Pech get forgotten in volume 3

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Kylaer posted:

Nope, both he and Ingo Pech get forgotten in volume 3

Pech makes sense, he feels like someone who will be picked up later... Maybe 10,000 years later

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
this is the 2nd 40k meme ive seen frome that interview in as many days.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I am slightly annoyed at how Valdor got merked. But I am also a bit confused about what Eribus did in the fight, was he the reason the gravity was all fucky? Valdor should probably have been rolling with a load of sisters.

I also really liked the impromptu Yu-Gi-Oh battle along with The Emperor fighting dirty and adjusting his tactics as he went along.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:ssh: did he really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

notaspy posted:

Pech makes sense, he feels like someone who will be picked up later... Maybe 10,000 years later

I think he might turn out to be Eisenhorn's new buddy.