Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Minidust posted:

An (encrypted?) iTunes backup is necessary for texts to transfer over to a new phone, is that correct? Just want to make sure I'm not overcomplicating things for my sentimental in-law here.

Why not use the iCloud backup? Everything is stored in there and transfers over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

MarcusSA posted:

Why not use the iCloud backup? Everything is stored in there and transfers over.
I had the impression that texts weren't included in that. If I was mistaken then it's iCloud all the way.

I know "iMessage in the cloud" became a thing recently, but I thought that just had to do with resuming blue-bubble texts on a different device.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 29, 2018

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Minidust posted:

I had the impression that texts weren't included in that. If I was mistaken then it's iCloud all the way.

I know "iMessage in the cloud" became a thing recently, but I thought that just had to do with resuming blue-bubble texts on a different device. If I'm wrong please enlighten me!

They are and iCloud observes retention rules for texts. You have to set retention to forever. Anything less and iCloud disables backup for texts.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Oh well that's great then. Thanks!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Minidust posted:

An (encrypted?) iTunes backup is necessary for texts to transfer over to a new phone, is that correct? Just want to make sure I'm not overcomplicating things for my sentimental in-law here.

Correct.

Also unless it's iPhone to iPhone it may will not work.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Is it just me or is Books in IOS 12 really aggressive about dumping the downloaded books off the device?

Reading a book in the airport Sunday, so the book was on the phone. An hour later, in the air, attempted to read again and it's stuck a the "now reading" screen trying to load the book while I'm in airplane mode.

I didn't see an "offload books" switch in settings like there is for apps, so I don't know how to lock it.

Got a 12 hour flight coming up and I don't want to lose my reading material!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
An encrypted iTunes backup is now exactly the same as an iCloud backup. Up until a few years ago they were different and an iTunes backup would save literally everything including the downloaded App data. The only thing it does now is save you some time with a slightly faster restore.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I always do an encrypted itunes backup when moving to a new device because its just faster.

I have icloud backups turned on too so I am getting incremental backups daily, but for migrating, especially when you have a 128GB+ device, itunes is faster.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

An encrypted iTunes backup is now exactly the same as an iCloud backup. Up until a few years ago they were different and an iTunes backup would save literally everything including the downloaded App data. The only thing it does now is save you some time with a slightly faster restore.

Pretty sure iCloud backups don't save your wifi networks, health data, etc. Unless they changed this?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Pretty sure iCloud backups don't save your wifi networks, health data, etc. Unless they changed this?

They do.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Dunno about WiFi settings, but Health is

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT203037

quote:

Health information is stored in iCloud and gets encrypted as it goes between iCloud and your device, and while it's stored in iCloud. To stop storing your Health data in iCloud, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud and turn off Health.

If you aren't using iCloud, you can back up your information in Health by encrypting your iTunes backup.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
I could have sworn an iTunes encrypted backup will allow you to restore and not have to sign into all of your apps again, but I’ve been doing iCloud long enough that I can’t say this with certainty.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
iTunes Encrypted Backup and iCloud Backup (which is also encrypted) should have the same data.

It's the regular iTunes backup that doesn't save passwords or health data.

However, even with an encrypted backup (iTunes or iCloud), some restored apps may still ask for a password, as they may not have saved their password (or oauth/token) correctly as part of the backup.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Or they correctly don’t back up that data. https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/ksecattraccessiblewhenpasscodesetthisdeviceonly Banks for example should probably use this.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Friend had her iPhone pickpocketed and she was being sent spoofed texts and links that said her phone has been located and directed her to log into a fake iCloud page.

So, I guess the message is that professional semi-sophisticated pickpocketing groups are operating at music festivals. The messages and website aren’t quite right so I’m pretty sure these thieves are ESL. If they knew English better these would fool a lot more people.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
iTunes encrypted backup saves my otp accounts in my Authenticator app. iCloud backup doesn’t. I only have 4 accounts that use otp as two factor authentication but still it’s a time saver whenever I switch phones and who knows what other app data iCloud backup doesn’t backup that an encrypted iTunes backup does.

bronin fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 30, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bronin posted:

iTunes encrypted backup saves my otp accounts in my Authenticator app. iCloud backup doesn’t. I only have 4 accounts that use otp as two factor authentication but still it’s a time saver whenever I switch phones and who knows what other app data iCloud backup doesn’t backup that an encrypted iTunes backup does.

My iCloud backup had no issues with my Steam, Blizzard or SquareSoft authenticators. All my other MFA logins use 1Password’s OTP generator, so that’s pretty much unaffected as well.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Blinkman987 posted:

Friend had her iPhone pickpocketed and she was being sent spoofed texts and links that said her phone has been located and directed her to log into a fake iCloud page.

So, I guess the message is that professional semi-sophisticated pickpocketing groups are operating at music festivals. The messages and website aren’t quite right so I’m pretty sure these thieves are ESL. If they knew English better these would fool a lot more people.

European sign language?!

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

bronin posted:

Google says iCloud restore should restore the OTP entries in Authenticator: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/cSLd5H1MpO4

Edit: Google lies. I actually just did a restore from iCloud backup (swapped out my phone due to "green line of death") and none of my TOTP were there. Such hubris :shobon:

Mr. Fix It fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 30, 2018

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

LPG Giant posted:

European sign language?!

English as a Second Language

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Proteus Jones posted:

My iCloud backup had no issues with my Steam, Blizzard or SquareSoft authenticators. All my other MFA logins use 1Password’s OTP generator, so that’s pretty much unaffected as well.

I use this app: https://mattrubin.me/authenticator/

It’s a security decision by the app developer. Because encrypted iTunes backups are only on your machine and only you know the key while in theory Apple has the key to your iCloud backups.

Either way I use both iCloud backups and encrypted iTunes backups. :shrug:

The differences between encrypted iTunes backups and iCloud backups are explained in this document:

https://www.apple.com/business/site/docs/iOS_Security_Guide.pdf

There is some stuff with the keychain (not iCloud Keychain) that is different as far as I remember.

bronin fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 30, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Proteus Jones posted:

Blizzard Authenticator specifically syncs settings to iCloud, so that’s why you don’t have to register it again. It used to be that you needed to remove it from your account first before resetting your phone otherwise you’d have to chat with support to get them to remove it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Blizzard Authenticator specifically syncs settings to iCloud, so that’s why you don’t have to register it again. It used to be that you needed to remove it from your account first before resetting your phone otherwise you’d have to chat with support to get them to remove it.

Actually, now that I think about it I had to use one of my recovery codes for the SquareSoft authenticator for my last phone upgrade. Since I don't play FFXIV anymore, I haven't tried it.

Fake edit: I just checked, and yeah it asking to re-set it up.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Blinkman987 posted:

Krebs on Security exposed a fake Find My iPhone phishing scheme at one point. They had a whole SaaS platform built for phishing, and even had people reselling their services.

It sounded like what went on is someone would steal a phone, then go to one of these sites and pay for an “unlock,” and what actually happens is the service tries to phish the credentials away from the owner.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/03/if-your-iphone-is-stolen-these-guys-may-try-to-iphish-you/

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
My wife and I currently have our own 50gb $.99 iCloud plans and already have Family Sharing set up for ourselves. I'd like to move to the 200GB pooled data plan. Is it as simple as upgrading it on one phone and inviting? Is there any transfer process from her individual plan to the pooled plan or does it just automagically transfer over? Just want to make sure I take any necessary steps to prevent data loss.

Thanks!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
NM, wrong thread

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

TraderStav posted:

My wife and I currently have our own 50gb $.99 iCloud plans and already have Family Sharing set up for ourselves. I'd like to move to the 200GB pooled data plan. Is it as simple as upgrading it on one phone and inviting? Is there any transfer process from her individual plan to the pooled plan or does it just automagically transfer over? Just want to make sure I take any necessary steps to prevent data loss.

Thanks!

No need to transfer anything. After you upgrade your own plan anyone in your family with the free 5GB plan is automatically switched to the shared pool and anyone with their own storage plan gets the option to switch. Once your wife switches she’ll just suddenly have more space available. Here’s the support doc about it. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208147

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

fr3lm0 posted:

No need to transfer anything. After you upgrade your own plan anyone in your family with the free 5GB plan is automatically switched to the shared pool and anyone with their own storage plan gets the option to switch. Once your wife switches she’ll just suddenly have more space available. Here’s the support doc about it. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208147

Much appreciated! I was looking at a different support doc that didn't address it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I want to get my wife a phone for Christmas, but also want to get it on AUP. If I recall properly, Apple requires the phone to be activated in store on the carrier it will be used on so I'm trying to come up with a scheme where I can buy the phone but keep it a surprise until the 25th.. which means I can't use her number.

The best I got so far is to activate it on my number, and pop the sim out and put that one into my own phone. Then when she gets the gift we put the sim from her old phone into that one.

Anyone got a better plan?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

I want to get my wife a phone for Christmas, but also want to get it on AUP. If I recall properly, Apple requires the phone to be activated in store on the carrier it will be used on so I'm trying to come up with a scheme where I can buy the phone but keep it a surprise until the 25th.. which means I can't use her number.

The best I got so far is to activate it on my number, and pop the sim out and put that one into my own phone. Then when she gets the gift we put the sim from her old phone into that one.

Anyone got a better plan?

I've purchased phones at the apple store and did not activate them at the time, they were just ready to be activated on the new number when I wanted. Have you asked at the apple store?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've purchased phones at the apple store and did not activate them at the time, they were just ready to be activated on the new number when I wanted. Have you asked at the apple store?

Not yet, I'm just going off experience the last two times I got a thing on AUP. It felt like I had no option but to activate on the spot, but if that's not true then it means I have no problem.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

When I got my XR on the AUP the guy just handed me the bag with the phone in it and I left. I didn’t open the box until I got home.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

My bluetooth keeps going to poo poo on my 7Plus. Like cutting out on different headsets and in my car. I rebooted it but dunno.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I want to send my used iphoneX to a friend in Korea (from the US). Can I just send this by UPS or whatever, or will I have to sign weird custom declaration forms etc?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

nervana posted:

I want to send my used iphoneX to a friend in Korea (from the US). Can I just send this by UPS or whatever, or will I have to sign weird custom declaration forms etc?

Yes. You have to declare the contents and value of any packages with actual worth when sending them internationally, especially given that it is a smartphone with a working battery. Do not just throw it into a box and ship it undeclared by UPS, unless you want your iPhone X to be seized by customs officials and be in limbo possibly forever.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Yes. You have to declare the contents and value of any packages with actual worth when sending them internationally, especially given that it is a smartphone with a working battery. Do not just throw it into a box and ship it undeclared by UPS, unless you want your iPhone X to be seized by customs officials and be in limbo possibly forever.

Would UPS or USPS have the forms for this stuff? Would I have to pay extra because it's a phone?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, the post office will have everything you need to ship it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

nervana posted:

Would UPS or USPS have the forms for this stuff? Would I have to pay extra because it's a phone?

The only thing you’ll pay is the shipping fee. Go with USPS. It’ll probably cost more than $50 to ship. You’ll also need to do something special/extra cause of the battery. Just tell them and they’ll get you the stickers needed.

On the receiver’s end they will need to pay customs fees upon delivery. It’s probably a flat tax over the written value on the declaration you’ll fill out and stick to the box. Normally friends shipping to friends will downplay the value on the label but in this case your box is going to have a hazard warning re: the battery so this might come under scrutiny. I don’t know about Korea specifically but customs in other countries can, will, and do, open up packages like this to inspect what’s inside.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Official Apple clear cases for the XR lineup are out now. No indication if this is yellowing-resistant or anything. Gonna toot my own horn with a short story:

I wanted an XR for a while, especially because of the color, but I couldn't get myself to get another pretty phone which would inevitably be covered up. I could get a clear case, but clear tends to yellow. Then I realized...what if I get the Yellow XR? I'll never notice the yellowing! I came to this realization on a thursday night and got my yellow XR on the day of launch. like comment subscribe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: iOS 12.1.1 just dropped. :siren:

Apple posted:

iOS 12.1.1 adds features and fixes bugs for your iPhone and iPad. Features and improvements include:

- Notification preview using haptic touch on iPhone XR
- Dual SIM with eSIM for additional carriers on iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max
- One tap to flip between the rear and front-facing camera during a FaceTime call
- Live Photo capture during one-to-one FaceTime calls
- The option to hide the sidebar in News on iPad in landscape orientation
- Real-time text (RTT) when using Wi-Fi calling on iPad and iPod touch
- Stability improvements for dictation along with VoiceOver

Bug fixes include:

- Fixes an issue where Face ID may temporarily become unavailable
- Addresses an issue that prevented visual voicemail from downloading for some customers
- Fixes an issue in Messages that could prevent predictive text suggestions when typing on the Chinese or Japanese keyboards
- Addresses an issue that could prevent Voice Memos recordings from uploading to iCloud
- Fixes an issue where time zones may not have updated automatically

This release also adds features and fixes bugs for HomePod including:

- Support in Mainland China and Hong Kong
- HomePod LEDs illuminate during Group FaceTime calls