Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

AstuteCat posted:

code:
    /// <summary>ToJson.</summary>
    /// <returns>string</returns>
    /// <param name="config">The config variables.</param>
    public string JsonToString(IOpserveConfiguration config)
    {
      this.propertyName = null;
      var ret = JsonConvert.SerializeObject(this, Formatting.None, config.SerialiserSettings);

return ret;
    }
I wasn't going to post this but this is the second time that I have had this exact piece of code appear in a pull request, the first of which I rejected with a strong explanation that mutating the internal state of an object before returning a string representation of it is ah, not going to be fun for anyone/anything wanting to access that property afterwards.

In addition to mutating the object in what should be a "const" method, the existence of "var ret ...; return ret" should be reason enough. I've worked once with a programmer like that. Nice guy, but terrible programmer. He learned in school at some point about the "return variable" and should only have one return in a function and just applied willy-nilly everywhere he could. I took it out of him but it took a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

Hammerite posted:

What kind of communities do you have to mix in in order for this reasoning to appear sensible on any level

"I was going to call my new software library something innocuous, so that we could all get on with productive work. But then it occurred to me that it's important to trigger the cucks on occasion"

Insert some sociological explanation relating to [self imposed] isolation, only dealing with ephemeral logical structures that are only either right or wrong, that becoming the prism through which one views the world, only having meaningful interactions with others when it is in relation to said logical structures, only having meaningful interactions in text form via the internet, never learning social intelligence, discounting of social intelligence as a useful thing, something something something breeding ground for going nuts and for extremist/fanatical thought patterns and hate and rage

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 13, 2018

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jabor posted:

Odds are he wanted to name it a racial slur to begin with, and then went reaching around for some plausible deniability.

This. It's some alt right adjacent rear end in a top hat intentionally trying to start some poo poo. Way more of them in tech these days than I would like.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/rygorous/status/963241496924143617

https://twitter.com/rygorous/status/963244802786512897

https://twitter.com/rygorous/status/963245158081810432

:stare:

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

quote:

Also I've always beleived that programmers are beyond the politics, sexism
My eyes are rolling so hard that it looks like I'm seeing straight.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

"programmers" means "libertarian men"

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
A coworker brought to my attention the fact that, a year ago, I was pretty enthusiastic about git branches:

I had never seen the branch graph do... that

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 13, 2018

Jewel
May 2, 2009

oh i love sound voltex

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

I hope I'm not like that. Some of my students complain that I use a very "horizontal" coding style. Indeed I take a lot of measures to save lines of code, and word wrap being OFF is *required* for reading it because so many lines wrap and seeing the indentation is more important than seeing the ends of lines and code comments all the time. But on the other hand:

- Unlike that code I still don't skimp on descriptive variable names and write them as entire phrases in underscore_case
- I try not to leave single tokens on lines (like open braces), but rather than stuffing them onto the end of the previous line and killing vertical bracket matching, I use Horstmann style indentation and just do open brace, space, first line of code
- It's done in a way that maximizes how many similar tokens line up vertically, so repetition stands out and you end up having to read less
- I use two spaces for indents to save space, but to still keep things readable I increase indentation twice for each code block: once for the code itself, and once again for the curly braces, that way the curly braces (and hence the structure of the code) stand out that much more
- My main tool of eliminating lines of code is still eliminating complexity, not deleting line breaks, and I'll still frequently add line breaks to a one liner if it gets too gross
- I spread out more if code is doing something conceptually or mathematically difficult

But otherwise I really like to keep code that is about the same thing able to fit on one screen size all at once. I think that helps me fit it all into my head at once too. If a function is bigger than one screen size my instinct is to break it up or not do something so complicated.

My longest lines are over 200 characters, which goes well off of the screen on an older laptop, but I do have an older laptop so it's not like I'm subjecting people to something that I personally don't have to deal with. Also, due to carefully lining up repetitive information and curly braces, all the information about the *structure* of the code will appear towards the left hand side of the screen, so it's pretty readable if you're just scanning down the left side and I rarely find myself having to reach for the horizontal scroll bar to read the rest of a line. So turning word wrap on to always see the remaining boring bits of those lines while killing vertical alignment would not be worth it at all.

If a line of code I wrote is that long it's usually because it's uninteresting, old, solidified, tested, and unnecessary for understanding the rest of the lines. And if there's multiple lines around it that share a lot of parts I'll be sure to vertically align those parts.

code:
  { let button = parent.appendChild( Object.assign( document.createElement( "button" ), { default_color: color, textContent: "("+shortcut_combination+") "+description, style: "background-color:" + color } ) ),
           press = function() { button.style['background-color'] = "red";                button.style['z-index'] = "1"; button.style['transform'] = "scale(2)";                          callback.call( recipient ); },
         release = function() { button.style['background-color'] = button.default_color; button.style['z-index'] = "0"; button.style['transform'] = "scale(1)"; if( release_event ) release_event.call( recipient ); };
That's not code that anyone is meant to have to check ever, it's just boilerplate for making and animating some buttons on the splash page that are irrelevant to what my library actually does (math), so my goal is to just get it out of the way and leave more room in the file for spreading out the more crucial parts elsewhere for understanding the math-related code.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 13, 2018

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I hope I'm not like that. Some of my students complain that I use a very "horizontal" coding style. Indeed I take a lot of measures to save lines of code, and word wrap being OFF is *required* for reading it, but:

- I still don't skimp on descriptive variable names and write them as entire phrases in underscore_case
- I try not to leave single tokens on lines (like open braces), but rather than stuffing them onto the end of the previous line and killing vertical bracket matching, I use Horstmann style indentation and just do open brace, space, first line of code
- It's done in a way that maximizes how many similar tokens line up vertically, so repetition stands out and you end up having to read less
- I use two spaces for indents to save space, but to still keep things readable I increase indentation twice for each code block: once for the code itself, and once again for the curly braces, that way the curly braces (and hence the structure of the code) stand out that much more
- My main tool of eliminating lines of code is still eliminating complexity, not deleting line breaks, and I'll still frequently add line breaks to a one liner if it gets too gross

My longest lines are over 200 characters, which goes well of the screen on an older laptop, but I do have an older laptop so it's not like I'm subjecting people to something that I personally don't have to deal with. Also, due to carefully lining up repetitive information and curly braces, all the information about the *structure* of the code will appear towards the left hand side of the screen, so it's pretty readable if you're just scanning down the left side and I rarely find myself having to reach for the horizontal scroll bar to read the rest of a line. So turning word wrap on to always see the remaining boring bits of those lines while killing vertical alignment would not be worth it at all.

If a line of code I wrote is that long it's usually because it's uninteresting, old, solidified, tested, and unnecessary for understanding the rest of the lines. And if there's multiple lines around it that share a lot of parts I'll be sure to vertically align those parts.

code:
  { let button = parent.appendChild( Object.assign( document.createElement( "button" ), { default_color: color, textContent: "("+shortcut_combination+") "+description, style: "background-color:" + color } ) ),
           press = function() { button.style['background-color'] = "red";                button.style['z-index'] = "1"; button.style['transform'] = "scale(2)";                          callback.call( recipient ); },
         release = function() { button.style['background-color'] = button.default_color; button.style['z-index'] = "0"; button.style['transform'] = "scale(1)"; if( release_event ) release_event.call( recipient ); };
That's not code that anyone is meant to have to check ever, it's just boilerplate for making some buttons, so my goal is to just get it out of the way and leave more room in the file for spreading out the more crucial parts for understanding the math that the library does.

Source your quotes

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I hope I'm not like that.

You're like that.

You're also putting two spaces after sentences. On the Internet.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I hope I'm not like that. Some of my students complain that I use a very "horizontal" coding style. Indeed I take a lot of measures to save lines of code, and word wrap being OFF is *required* for reading it
But why? What's the advantage of doing things this way?

quote:

But old, uninteresting code can absolutely contain bugs. And if your code has parts that I can't read, I'm always going to be worried that those parts are what contain the bug I'm trying to investigate. I need to understand the entire system to debug it (for whatever definition of system is appropriate, e.g. function or class).

quote:

code:
Yeah, this is a lovely way to code. If you want to hide the "create a button" logic so it doesn't interfere with the code around it, then put it in its own function. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a function that's only ever called once. You get to isolate the inputs/outputs/execution context of the code, you can shove the function to the bottom of the file or whatever, you can give it a nice name like createsBoringButton, and yet if I need to debug it I can still read what it's doing.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

CPColin posted:

You're like that.

At least not to the extent of what I quoted -- my line there is about the worst one of mine I could find, and it's still not full of inscrutable variable names and tons of conditional logic (stuffed into one line to hide the structure of the flow control) like in that post. But along the continuum I'm definitely closer to that than most people.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 13, 2018

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, this is a lovely way to code. If you want to hide the "create a button" logic so it doesn't interfere with the code around it, then put it in its own function. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a function that's only ever called once. You get to isolate the inputs/outputs/execution context of the code, you can shove the function to the bottom of the file or whatever, you can give it a nice name like createsBoringButton, and yet if I need to debug it I can still read what it's doing.

Oh it is certainly in it's own function called key_triggered_button - the line above it is the function declaration, and the rest of the function is a few shorter lines and then the close brace, on its own line, indented to the same place as the open brace.

It's actually a method in a small class (the whole class fits on less than a screen). It's very obvious to not read that code unless you care about how my buttons specifically animate themselves.

This horizontal style actually does not interfere with debugging at all, in a modern browser that is. For a while Chrome at least has been able to insert multiple breakpoints per line (you get to narrow down which statement on the line gets the breakpoint after clicking the breakpoint bar) and you can step execution through those multiple statements, so from a debugger standpoint it doesn't really throw off your flow to step horizontally versus vertically. You can still see what's going on to just as fine of detail.

I've found and fixed bugs on lines that are laid out like the above with no trouble. If fixing the bug involves me changing the structure and splitting off / spreading out something, that's fine and pretty easy to do too, because I see the statements as being separate even if my eyes move between them horizontally instead of vertically.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 13, 2018

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Oh it is certainly in it's own function - the line above it is the function declaration, and it's actually a method in a small class (the whole class fits on less than a screen). It's very obvious to not read that code unless you care about how my buttons specifically animate themselves.

This horizontal style actually does not interfere with debugging at all, in a modern browser that is. For a while Chrome at least has been able to insert multiple breakpoints per line (you get to narrow down which statement on the line gets the breakpoint after clicking the breakpoint bar) and you can step execution through those multiple statements, so from a debugger standpoint it doesn't really throw off your flow to step horizontally versus vertically. You can still see what's going on to just as fine of detail.

If I've had to change something in your uninteresting functions, I'd curse. A lot.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It interferes with my ability to debug the code because I can't read the code. I don't care what the computer is doing, there is an optimal line length when it comes to human comprehension and you've blown way past it.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

CPColin posted:

You're also putting two spaces after sentences. On the Internet.

Off the internet that's still pretty much universal and accepted as easier on the eyes, right? And even online it seems controversial:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Manual_of_Style/Archive_(spaces_after_a_full_stop/period)

I like for structural things (like breaks between sentences) to stand out. I like small paragraphs too.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 13, 2018

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Two spaces after a period is a relic of the typewriter era and has never applied to text rendered in a proportional font, online or off. Browsers won't even render consecutive spaces after the first one.

Please don't try to invent novel coding styles with dubious rationale, especially if you have students trying to learn from you. That horizontal poo poo is outright hostile to the senses.

I had a professor that used to insist that we put {{{ and }}} all over our source code (inside comments) simply because he had emacs set up to treat those as cold folding boundaries. Nobody else used emacs or cared about code folding, but his obtrusive style was more important than anyone else's.

Volte fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 13, 2018

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Off the internet that's still pretty much universal and accepted as easier on the eyes, right? And even online it seems controversial:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Manual_of_Style/Archive_(spaces_after_a_full_stop/period)

I like for structural things (like breaks between sentences) to stand out. I like small paragraphs too.

I thought that was all minified for a bit. What is wrong with you? No formatter in the world attempts to put things on as few lines as possible.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Use an IDE that supports code folding if you want to hide sections from view.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I do code folding occasionally for getting classes out of the way that I'm not working on, and *occasionally* for methods in a class, but for an individual method I definitely want to be able to see the whole thing at once, on one screen size if possible. Tons of empty space on the right half of the screen doesn't help me to do that, plus it wastes opportunities to see vertical matchups of similar lines, and the repetition within lines would not stand out as much --the code would look like there's more to it than there really is, or more novel non-repetitive things, thus taking up even more space in my head.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I dunno you seem hell bent on having it both ways. It's boring code that's well-tested and nobody should ever touch, yet at the same time it's utterly critical that it exist on-screen when you're looking at that function. Well, which is it then?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Also my programs always consist of a dozen or two classes and nothing else - I never include libraries or outside dependencies, just my own math and low level stuff. I can never fit a whole library in my head at once and I don't like what they do to my confidence in whether I fully understand what my program is doing or not. I hate the uncertainty of using something with a lot of layers.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Dumb Lowtax posted:

That's not code that anyone is meant to have to check ever,

There's no such thing.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I can never fit a whole library in my head at once and I don't like what they do to my confidence in whether I fully understand what my program is doing or not. I hate the uncertainty of using something with a lot of layers.

Gosh I've got some bad news about All Javascript.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

JawnV6 posted:

I dunno you seem hell bent on having it both ways. It's boring code that's well-tested and nobody should ever touch, yet at the same time it's utterly critical that it exist on-screen when you're looking at that function. Well, which is it then?

Its structure is on screen (on the left side) but its most boring details are off screen (past the right edge). That way I still see the class method exists, see its arguments and code comments and have a concept of how long it is, and know that the class has it available. I can just read down the list of methods on the left side of the screen and get the gist of the structure of the class without having to scroll a lot. If something goes off-screen to the right, that's "my version" of code folding - I know it's there and I can expand it by scrolling right if I need to dig in, but usually I just need concepts about structure in my head.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
What kind of students do you have, and do you recommend that they adopt your coding style?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

ynohtna posted:

What kind of students do you have, and do you recommend that they adopt your coding style?

The library is a wrapper for low level WebGL calls so that computer graphics students can abstract out certain things and just focus on rotating, translating, and scaling 3D shapes. Usually their coding style is not like that, but then again, neither is mine when I'm actually designing a scene or prototyping something new as opposed to compressing wrapper code that I know pretty well.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Its structure is on screen (on the left side) but its most boring details are off screen (past the right edge). That way I still see the class method exists, see its arguments and code comments and have a concept of how long it is, and know that the class has it available. I can just read down the list of methods on the left side of the screen and get the gist of the structure of the class without having to scroll a lot. If something goes off-screen to the right, that's "my version" of code folding - I know it's there and I can expand it by scrolling right if I need to dig in, but usually I just need concepts about structure in my head.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

It's actually a method in a small class (the whole class fits on less than a screen). It's very obvious to not read that code unless you care about how my buttons specifically animate themselves.
Okay, from what you're saying here it's really *not* important that the details are on screen and you were lying to us before. Sure, great, whatever. You're literally picking and choosing which things are "okay" to shuffle off somewhere else, just avoiding any language feature that might help you do so in a way another human could understand without having your exact window sizes.

Gotta say I'm dubious this is an improvement.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Dumb Lowtax posted:

code:

This is what clang-format or equivalent on commit is for. :v:

Xarn fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 13, 2018

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Your code is just as bad as that awful printf code posted above. They both have the same fundamental problem: they are deliberately written to not be readable by other people. Differences such as the quality of the variable names are trivial compared to the difference between code which is trying to be readable, and trying not to be.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
You don't have to have my exact screen size, you just have to mostly expect to see the most interesting and structural stuff towards the left side of the text, and not use word wrap.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Plorkyeran posted:

They both have the same fundamental problem: they are deliberately written to not be readable by other people. Differences such as the quality of the variable names are trivial compared to the difference between code which is trying to be readable, and trying not to be.

Painstakingly making every repetitive detail stand out by horizontally aligning it with spaces so the reader doesn't have to re-read similar things means pretty much the opposite thing as that about my intentions

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Painstakingly making every repetitive detail stand out by horizontally aligning it with spaces so the reader doesn't have to re-read similar things means pretty much the opposite thing as that about my intentions

If the reader doesn’t have to read the code, delete it because it must not do anything. If it did do something you’d want to be able to read it.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Code is read more than it is written.

Don't make things harder than they need to be.

And if you have weird idiosyncratic code formatting you should expect the next guy to just blow it up and format it sanely, or to yell at you to fix your poo poo.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 13, 2018

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Dumb Lowtax posted:

The library is a wrapper for low level WebGL calls so that computer graphics students can abstract out certain things and just focus on rotating, translating, and scaling 3D shapes. Usually their coding style is not like that, but then again, neither is mine when I'm actually designing a scene or prototyping something new as opposed to compressing wrapper code that I know pretty well.

So there's no real consistency in your and their coding styles?

I worry that some of your students will find themselves trying to justify your formatting techniques in job interviews that'll require them to share code in a team (i.e. pretty much all job interviews.)

Also:

Dumb Lowtax posted:

low level WebGL calls
:haw:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Have you ever actually worked with another person that you are not in a position of authority over on a code base?

Regardless of what your intentions are, the actual result is that you're actively putting effort into making your code harder to work with.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Dumb Lowtax posted:

You don't have to have my exact screen size, you just have to mostly expect to see the most interesting and structural stuff towards the left side of the text, and not use word wrap.
Is this (ridiculous, one-off, fragile) "style" documented anywhere in the code base? Even a comment saying "BTW i dont understand modularity, im just gonna shove crap off to the right" would be better than nothing.

I've worked in a good dozen languages and none of them, zero of those codebases, have expected me to "see the most interesting and structural stuff towards the left." It reminds me of that joke Java where all the curly braces are shoved off to align in one column to the right.

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 13, 2018

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Off the internet that's still pretty much universal and accepted as easier on the eyes, right?

No books, magazines or newspapers are typeset that way (the space may be increased ever so slightly, but two spaces is a massive gap). Word processor and page layout software will default to not do that, as will virtual keyboard input on phones etc. HTML will strip multiple spaces. I can very very vaguely remember it being a thing during very early schooldays (so like 20-25 years ago), and that was definitely due to older teachers who were taught that standard in an age where typewriters existed.

Also what's easier on the eyes is, for subtle stuff like this, what you read more of and are used to (see serif/sans-serif), so it may be easier on your eyes because you use double spaces, but probably less so for most other people who don't

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

canis minor posted:

Alternative namings taken from synonyms - ringtail, procyon - and that's where English is not my primary language (I mean there are probably some weird native/regional words for racoon he could have used). I'd think that taking context into consideration is something that programmers should know about; instead he chose "blip, blop, i'm a robot, all words are equal"

This gives me an idea: rewrite git history to make it look like all his commits said 'trash-panda' instead (or trash_panda or whatever is idiomatic). Problem solved.

Volte posted:

Two spaces after a period is a relic of the typewriter era and has never applied to text rendered in a proportional font, online or off. Browsers won't even render consecutive spaces after the first one.

Some of us were taught to type that way by people who learned on a typewriter

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 13, 2018