Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Agents are GO! posted:

The PS3 and ps4 controllers can do it, they just don't.

Yeah that's what I don't get. The new Ghost of Tsushima DLC uses it for one activity (playing a flute for animals) which was the weirdest reminder that they could've been doing it all along but weren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The last Infamous game had a pretty good way of using it. One of the mechanics was spray painting graffiti and you would turn the controller sideways, shake it like a paint can and it would make the noise, then use to trigger to spray.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Frank Frank posted:

Jesus Christ the prices for EDF5 for PS4 on eBay are insane

I thought it was download-only so that might explain it

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

My Lovely Horse posted:

Finally got a Switch and I've been making my way through Super Mario Odyssey, I vaguely remembered reading about how it would just keep throwing moons at you and was like "heh yeah it sure does I guess"

I was not in the least prepared

I watched an all-moons speedrun a few months back, and to this day the moon-get jingle plays in my head intrusively at the most random times. Astounding how much they packed into that game, and how dense every level is.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Frank Frank posted:

Jesus Christ the prices for EDF5 for PS4 on eBay are insane

It's $30 which is half off, that's not as insane as I expected

Considering the game is still $60 base price

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

MP3 is what convinced me that yeah, FPSes on the Wii was totally going to be the way to go. And then IIRC every other FPS controlled noticeably worse or otherwise sucked poo poo. Oops.

Re: Motion controls I can't help but suspect there was a cycle of dummies going "these motion controls never work, it's just dumb waggle" and then they'd blow off the tutorials and just waggle and oh weird the motion controls don't work and suck. Not to say there wasn't plenty of bottom shelf garbage where the controls were legitimately broken, but most high profile stuff actually did work fine IME.

Edit: That said, I did not appreciate the strain on my wrist swinging the sword in Twilight Princess caused. The manta ray racing in Mario Galaxy was also total rear end.

In general I feel like third party developers struggled the most with understanding what the Wiimote + nunchuk could do reliably. Like a lot of games would rely a lot on the nunchuk's internal movement sensor which was way weaker than the Wiimote, or you'd have something like Sonic and the Secret Rings which relies a lot on tilting the Wiimote in ways that are both awkward to do and rely on shaky inputs. I feel like maybe Nintendo had some problems with dev documentation, or perhaps it was just a fact of it being new tech, they knew what it could do but a lot of devs making shovelware didn't (and hence relied on waggle as you say.)

I'm generally more positive on motion controls than most (though I realize that requiring them is not great for accessibility reasons) and I kinda wish they'd been handled/understood better.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Push El Burrito posted:

The last Infamous game had a pretty good way of using it. One of the mechanics was spray painting graffiti and you would turn the controller sideways, shake it like a paint can and it would make the noise, then use to trigger to spray.

Fist of The North Star: Lost Paradise has a bartending mini game where you shake the controller to mimic a shaker. You use the power of Hokuto no Ken to make a good drink.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
The Speed Racer game used the wiimote great, a and b were accelerate and break and you tilted it left and right to steer while your controller represented the car's orientation (since the cars in the movie have 360 degree wheel movement on all wheels). Then you would jerk the controller in a direction to bonk your car that way for the car-fu stuff. :black101: I binged the poo poo out of it one summer, a little diamond in the rough for sure. Winning races and championships despite never once coming in first because I did so much murder that the points from that more than made up for never placing high up was the poo poo.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The best thing with the wiimote was the brief resurgence of light gun games. I had a lot of fun with House of the Dead

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Elebits on the Wii was a fun little tech demo of a game and I was excited for a potential sequel.

Then the sequel came out on the DS and for some reason had turned into a bad Zelda wannabe?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Retro Futurist posted:

The best thing with the wiimote was the brief resurgence of light gun games. I had a lot of fun with House of the Dead

They’re putting out an HD remake (leaving the voice acting alone lol) for Switch.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

As they should.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Beastie posted:

They’re putting out an HD remake (leaving the voice acting alone lol) for Switch.

Hell yeah, I can't wait to suffer like G did?

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

That minigame was so good, that it made me understand how stencils work when used for graffiti, and how to apply it to canvas and make my own art. I didnt realize how easy it was until I was literally going through the motions with a controller

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Vandar posted:

Elebits on the Wii was a fun little tech demo of a game and I was excited for a potential sequel.

Then the sequel came out on the DS and for some reason had turned into a bad Zelda wannabe?

I didn't even realize there was a sequel. :prepop:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Twilight Princess was the second Wii game I played after Wii Sports and I was still all in on any motion controls. I really loved using the waggle for when Link inevitably attacked a boss weak point by getting on top of it and having time to just slash wildly. Between the music kicking up and trying to swing as fast as I could, it felt like a big moment. I missed it on the WiiU version.

Admittedly I never played it again on Wii and that was a lot of aimless swiping for the rest of the game. I feel like Skyward Sword probably had a lot fewer enemies to compensate for how involved every fight was? I haven't gotten to playing it on Switch yet.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Instead of climbing a tower to reveal icons on the map in No More Heroes 3, you unclog public toilets.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
No More Heroes has every kind of toilet imaginable as save spots, from executive bathrooms to backwoods outhouses, with appropriate sound effects.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The new Ratchet & Clank game has jump points that you grab onto and spin around to launch yourself forward, and I thought it was a really cute touch when I realized they massively distort the character model while you're in motion

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

The new Ratchet & Clank game has jump points that you grab onto and spin around to launch yourself forward, and I thought it was a really cute touch when I realized they massively distort the character model while you're in motion

Good video on smears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIdeGmN__Pw

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ratchet and Clank is strongly influenced by classical animation techniques, especially in this case squash and stretch

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's a good watch, I'm familiar with it in classical animation and sprite based games but there's some good discussion of 3D games as well. I'm not sure I've really noticed it in a 3D modeled game before, maybe Crash Bandicoot but that's about it.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Ain't even out yet and I already know what my favorite thing is https://twitter.com/KonaYMA6/status/1437394834290102276

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

TontoCorazon posted:

Ain't even out yet and I already know what my favorite thing is https://twitter.com/KonaYMA6/status/1437394834290102276

I was so excited when the pre-download showed up yesterday and I don't know anything about it besides the title card and developer :buddy:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm hoping it ends up on gamepass PC soon since it's under the Bethesda umbrella b/c it certainly sounds like it's going to be a hard one to wait for

Veotax
May 16, 2006

flatluigi posted:

I'm hoping it ends up on gamepass PC soon since it's under the Bethesda umbrella b/c it certainly sounds like it's going to be a hard one to wait for

It's probably going to be a year, Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo were signed up to be PS5 exclusive before Microsoft brought Bathesda and MS is honouring those agreements rather than trying to find a way out of them. They're probably not going to hit PC Gamepass until they hit Xbox.

It's hilarious that Microsoft is putting out more PS5 exclusives at this point than Xbox Series S/X exclusives.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tales of Arise: Finally a game where I can raise horses and slaughter them for meat. This is literally their only purpose.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Given the only thing they've talked much about with Deathloop is a Dark Souls-esque invasion mechanic, I'm not optimistic about it. Pinning such a huge part of the game's appeal on that kind of PvP sounds like a recipe for a hot mess. In a bad way.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm gonna be mad if this game I bought on a whim turns out to be based around multiplayer mechanics (check back in four hours to see if this is the case)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm gonna be mad if this game I bought on a whim turns out to be based around multiplayer mechanics (check back in four hours to see if this is the case)

It isn't. The multiplayer is a part of it but basically entirely ignorable. You can play offline and they just replace Julianna with an AI version. I've finished the entire game and it's basically Arcade-Style Dishonored with an optional "Someone can come in and gently caress around" setting.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm not a fan of forced multiplayer but that sounds like a good mechanic for a game built around a time loop. Good way to throw in some chaos and switch it up a bit

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

John Murdoch posted:

I didn't even realize there was a sequel. :prepop:

Don't get excited. It wasn't very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cDg87-c_a8

Skip ahead to see some gameplay. It was just...a not very good Zelda wannabe with Elebits mechanics involved. Graphics were really nice though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Vandar posted:

Don't get excited. It wasn't very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cDg87-c_a8

Skip ahead to see some gameplay. It was just...a not very good Zelda wannabe with Elebits mechanics involved. Graphics were really nice though.

Huh. Translating capturing Elebits by way of a scan-targeting shmup kind of system is actually pretty clever. Everything else looks painfully bland though.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

TontoCorazon posted:

Every game is improved with the ability to deliver a boot to the genitalia. It's what made AC Odyssey so much fun; I was less interested in AC Valhalla until I got Kick of Tyr. At that point, gravity once more became my favourite weapon.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I'm extremely hyped for death loop, with dishonored the developer has developed the only stealth game I actually liked, so I'm sure it'll be great. Supposedly it's also built around all the cool dishonored abilities like short distance teleportation, linking people so one headshot kills multiple, being able to telekinetically tinder swipe people off of ledges, and so on. I always played stealthy peaceful characters so being able to finally go hog wild sounds great.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think I remember reading somewhere that one of their goals for Deathloop was specifically to get all the people who played Dishonored stealthily to go loud

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

haveblue posted:

I think I remember reading somewhere that one of their goals for Deathloop was specifically to get all the people who played Dishonored stealthily to go loud

Arkane has not-so-secretly hated the people who wanted to play Dishonored nonlethally since... well, Dishonored, so this is unsurprising.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 14:52 on Sep 14, 2021

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Cleretic posted:

Arrkane has not-so-secretly hated the people who wanted to play Dishonored nonlethally since... well, Dishonored, so this is unsurprising.

It's ironic then, because when I first stared playing Dishonored, I actually went in a killed all the soldiers I came across in the first level because the game promoted you as an assassin. But then after the first level or whatever, the game popped up a warning being like, "hey, killing too many people will affect the ending." And in every stealth game where there are multiple endings, the "murder everyone" route is typically the bad end.

So because of that warning, I restarted the game and went through non-lethally taking out everyone, even the assassination targets, reloading any time I got spotted.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I can't help but think the Thief inspirations and chaos system hurt Dishonored 1 a tad, even if they leaned into it better in Dishonored 2. But yeah, embracing chaos and incentivizing players to go loud is the easiest and most fun way to design the game. Other games with a mix of stealth and loudness have embraced this, from the Ubisoftsss, Batmans, Mordors, and hell, even Sekiro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

haveblue posted:

Seeing as I only played dishonored stealthily because I wanted the good endings I'm glad of it.