Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I made a 12 inch skillet cookie (chocolate chip) for the first time today following a recipe on a cooking blog.
Melt a cup of butter, stir in 1 cup brown sugar and half cup white sugar until smooth. Let cool. 2 eggs, vanilla, stir. 2 cups+2T flour, 1 t baking soda, pinch salt, chocolate chips. 325 for 28 min.

Supposed to come out with a “slightly gooey” center, and, you know, like a cookie. What I got (albeit still tasty) was more like a cakey blondie texture.
Where did I go wrong and/or what part of that recipe made it so cakey? Could I just do a traditional coolie
Batter and the just cook it as a giant cookie in a skillet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I'm going out on a limb here as I don't bake a lot and if I do it's in celsius, but 325 seems pretty low for baking. For cookies it is usually 375 or so. Not sure how/whether that affects consistency though.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
That recipe is going to come out more like a brownie or cookie bar because you're not creaming the sugar, butter and flour. Melting the butter is going to make a batter texture, not a traditional cookie one. That said, that's what a skillet cookie is supposed to be like I think. I make that exact recipe and the texture is always like you describe.

Also yeah, 325 for 30 is low to me. I cook mine at 350 for 20-25 minutes, but honestly I think it comes out the same.

E: A regular cookie recipe is going to burn like crazy in a skillet. I don't know the science, but I know I tried it with a ranger cookie recipe and discovered a new way to make charcoal.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 1, 2018

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Word? Word. Good to know, thanks!

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Yesterday my boyfriend did a job for a local bee guy and came home with a 5-pound container of delicious honey. It's something we don't use often and take months and months to get through one of those tiny lil squeezy-bears. I'd love to learn some favorite honey recipes/uses if you've got them! Or any creative ideas beyond "drizzle it over stuff" because that's p much where I am right now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I, likewise, got a jar of molasses because it was a necessary dietary additive for my birds. I looked around for molasses recipes, and apparently a big batch of molasses cookies requires 1/3 cup of molasses. How do I use up all this drat molasses?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can keep molasses around for a million years, baking a lot of delicious things a little at a time. You can explore the world of weird pies. You can also just put it on stuff like oatmeal, ice cream, biscuits.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I wish they sold molasses in liter squeeze bottles, because I go through one of those little jars in a month or less.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Halvah uses up lots of honey.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

flesh dance posted:

Yesterday my boyfriend did a job for a local bee guy and came home with a 5-pound container of delicious honey. It's something we don't use often and take months and months to get through one of those tiny lil squeezy-bears. I'd love to learn some favorite honey recipes/uses if you've got them! Or any creative ideas beyond "drizzle it over stuff" because that's p much where I am right now.

Pour some in a pan with a can of chipotle peppers and their sauce, bring it to a boil, blend it with a hand blender and pour it through a strainer and into a squeeze bottle. Add more honey if it's too spicy. This is good on nearly everything, but chicken and waffles, dogs and burgers, and breakfast burritos especially.

Halloween Jack posted:

I, likewise, got a jar of molasses because it was a necessary dietary additive for my birds. I looked around for molasses recipes, and apparently a big batch of molasses cookies requires 1/3 cup of molasses. How do I use up all this drat molasses?

Make your own BBQ sauces my man.

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

flesh dance posted:

Honey is the only form of sugar that doesn't spoil, so it will last you as long as it needs. The worst that will happen is crystallization, which could actually be useful in some situations.

I add a couple tablespoons to cornbread batter to make it truly epic.

Enourmo posted:

meadmeadmeadmeadmead

Holy poo poo, yes.

teh winnar! fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 1, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

flesh dance posted:

meadmeadmeadmeadmead

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Enourmo posted:

meadmeadmeadmeadmead

Best answer so far.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

I know! Somehow I've never made mead. We used to be avid homebrewers but fell off it over the last year or two in exchange for other hobbies.

But rn I don't really want to gently caress with that and just kinda want to figure out how to better use it in the kitchen, since for me it's a super under-utilized resource! Thanks for the suggestions, they all look like a lovely place to begin; I am down for some halvah and chipotle sauce :cheers:

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Human Tornada posted:

Pour some in a pan with a can of chipotle peppers and their sauce, bring it to a boil, blend it with a hand blender and pour it through a strainer and into a squeeze bottle. Add more honey if it's too spicy. This is good on nearly everything, but chicken and waffles, dogs and burgers, and breakfast burritos especially.

This sounds amazing.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

flesh dance posted:

I know! Somehow I've never made mead. We used to be avid homebrewers but fell off it over the last year or two in exchange for other hobbies.

But rn I don't really want to gently caress with that and just kinda want to figure out how to better use it in the kitchen, since for me it's a super under-utilized resource! Thanks for the suggestions, they all look like a lovely place to begin; I am down for some halvah and chipotle sauce :cheers:

Baklavah?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Human Tornada posted:

Pour some in a pan with a can of chipotle peppers and their sauce, bring it to a boil
No, don't do this. All of those complex notes you get out of a raw, wildflower honey? Heat sensitive.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

flesh dance posted:

A couple of ideas to help you use up the stuff — my mom makes honey butter to give away as gifts at Christmas time, and Atholl Brose is an old Scottish drink made with scotch, oats, cream, and honey that could be fun as a punch at a party.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

So, watching tonight’s episode of Guy’s Grocery Games, I learned that boxed whipping cream is a thing. How does that work? Unrefrigerated whipping cream in a box with a 6 month life? The entire concept is foreign to me.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
it's cool poo poo https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-high-temperature_processing

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

LongSack posted:

So, watching tonight’s episode of Guy’s Grocery Games, I learned that boxed whipping cream is a thing. How does that work? Unrefrigerated whipping cream in a box with a 6 month life? The entire concept is foreign to me.
UHT pasteurization. Pack everything in an airtight container, heat everything enough to kill pathogens, and you have something that's shelf-stable until opened. Pretty much the same gimmick as canning.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

And I learn something tonight. Thanks, cooking goons!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

flesh dance posted:

Do you have an ice cream maker? If so, make pear and honey ice cream, or apple honey ice cream. The pear version I made is still in my top 5 favorite things that I have ever tasted.

Going to be lazy and just link you to the old ICSA entry. It's the third post. Pic walkthru.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3419784

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Aww, no ice cream maker. That sounds good though, thanks for the tip! Speaking of, Atholl Brose sounds *amazing*, that's a make for sure.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You can still do the kind of ice cream you do in a loaf pan that's a thing now.

I'm gonna have to make molasses ice cream now. God, I love molasses

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I have an instant pot ultra 80. It has this weird hook on the back. What’s the weird hook for?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd guess you can hook the power lead in there, so if the pot gets moved suddenly or falls off the counter it doesn't get yanked out.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Anne Whateley posted:

You can still do the kind of ice cream you do in a loaf pan that's a thing now.

I'm gonna have to make molasses ice cream now. God, I love molasses

Serious eats just posted a no-machine ice cream recipe that could easily be modified to any flavor. Tries for the custardy texture of real ice cream instead of the pillowy whipped cream no churn.

I'm considering making some side by side with traditional and whipped cream no churn because it's hot and I love my coworkers.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Serious Eats link for posterity

I have the entry-level traditional Cuisinart, and it works fine, no complaints except the obvious and significant downsides of the frozen-insert-style makers.

If I had to do it again, I'd absolutely hands-down get this self-freezing one. No need to prechill anything. I've never seen one so small and cheap that chills itself, I think that's usually the domain of $400+ semipro systems, and this is only $85. The only quasi-downside is the capacity, at 1.5 pints, but that's enough even for a small party, plus you can run it back to back forever.

In terms of recipes, I really dig "Philadelphia style" -- it doesn't mean cream cheese, it means no eggs or custard base. Which is good because if it's ice cream weather, it's not standing-over-a-stove weather. The only possible issue is that if you churn it too long, it can begin to form butter, which has a very unpleasant mouthfeel in context. But just don't churn it too long.

I also want to experiment with ice milk this summer. When I was a kid, there was a place near us that did soft-serve ice milk, and I loved that texture. Anyone try it?

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 2, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Anne Whateley posted:

If I had to do it again, I'd absolutely hands-down get this self-freezing one. No need to prechill anything. I've never seen one so small and cheap that chills itself, I think that's usually the domain of $400+ semipro systems, and this is only $85. The only quasi-downside is the capacity, at 1.5 pints, but that's enough even for a small party, plus you can run it back to back forever.

QVC brand? :yikes:

Looks like a rebrand/clone of Mr. Freeze which has some middling reviews, most of which mention texture. Buyer beware.

I'd get an electric add-ice-and-salt model if you want back-to-back batches with no pre-freeze necessary. Requires ~2 lb of ice per batch, but makes a much larger batch size! https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=ice+cream+machine+salt $20-40 for plastic, ~$60 for wooden.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 2, 2018

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

In terms of recipes, I really dig "Philadelphia style" -- it doesn't mean cream cheese, it means no eggs or custard base. Which is good because if it's ice cream weather, it's not standing-over-a-stove weather. The only possible issue is that if you churn it too long, it can begin to form butter, which has a very unpleasant mouthfeel in context. But just don't churn it too long.

I find I have to keep the fat down (milk to cream ratio) in order to prevent little greasy wads. Probably depends on your churning method.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I found this Eater video on at-home ice cream makers pretty illuminating. The one using ice and salt rather than a chilled crock or built-in compressor performed the best, which surprised them and me. I will say the basic Cuisinart model they tested didn't get a fair shake because they didn't freeze the crock long enough so it never fully froze the base, but the performance of the ice/salt one was pretty impressive.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a Cuisinart model with the built in compressor. It's pretty awesome at making spur of the moment ice cream and/or frozen drinks with no preplanning.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
My parents have it, so I've used it pretty frequently when I visit, and yeah :shrug:

I would guess the people having texture issues are making heated bases and throwing them in lukewarm. It isn't all-powerful, you do have to chill the mixture first (which is another reason I like Philadelphia-style, it's already cold).

We did gently caress up and have the butter problem the first time. I identified the issue and it hasn't happened again. I think you can add nonfat milk powder or other stuff to prevent it, but I think it's easier just to pull at the soft-serve stage and throw in the freezer to keep hardening.

If I had infinite money and space, I'd definitely get a fancy one with a big compressor, but in terms of money, space, and convenience, can't beat this one imo. I'm actually thinking about replacing my perfectly fine Cuisinart one with it.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have a half kilo of frozen baby octopus. How should I go about cooking it? Just defrost for 24 hours, throw it in the pan with some oil + garlic? What do you guys recommend?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Usually Oktopus is boil, deskin, then bbq/pan. Not sure if baby is different.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

tuyop posted:

I have an instant pot ultra 80. It has this weird hook on the back. What’s the weird hook for?

Spoon/lid rest?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

SubG posted:

No, don't do this. All of those complex notes you get out of a raw, wildflower honey? Heat sensitive.

Oh my heavens, not the complex notes!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Human Tornada posted:

Oh my heavens, not the complex notes!

You joke, but there's an amazing difference between honey that's been heated above ~150 and honey that hasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Raw honey is an Yngwie Malmsteen of flavour