Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
The Steam thread, finally united in hate of a terrible, awful game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Has anyone ever bought a steam game through DLGamer? I'd never heard of them before today, and wasn't sure how legit they were, how fast you got your key(s), that sort of thing.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Delusibeta posted:

So, in short, it's basically Dragon's Crown: The MMO. Consider me interested.

Dragon's Crown is kid poo poo compared to DFO. There's no comparison.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Dragon's Crown is kid poo poo compared to DFO. There's no comparison.

Dems fightin words.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Delusibeta posted:

Dems fightin words.

Dragon's Crown is babbytimes compared to Mystara so it checks out.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I've played both, and Dragon's Crown is extremely antiquated, slow, and dull compared to DFO. DFO has a far wider selection of skills, more technical gameplay, a robust combo system, and much faster move and attack speed. Also like a million classes, seriously.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Dragon's Crown has big ol' titties. Checkmate, DFO.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

I've played both, and Dragon's Crown is extremely antiquated, slow, and dull compared to DFO. DFO has a far wider selection of skills, more technical gameplay, a robust combo system, and much faster move and attack speed. Also like a million classes, seriously.

You'd know I guess Robot, does DFO now support controllers without an immense amount of headache?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mung Dynasty posted:

Bound by Flame is poo poo. Please don't ever buy or play it.

The only good thing I heard about Bound by Flame is that its crafting system is surprisingly deep and customizable.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Orv posted:

You'd know I guess Robot, does DFO now support controllers without an immense amount of headache?

I don't know, I have always used Xpadder.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Kibayasu posted:

The only good thing I heard about Bound by Flame is that its crafting system is surprisingly deep and customizable.

Yay, crafting. :geno:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

poptart_fairy posted:

Dragon's Crown has big ol' titties. Checkmate, DFO.

this but unironically. also amazon atomic rear end drop

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gort posted:

Yay, crafting. :geno:

Exactly.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Crafting seems to show up in every goddamn game regardless though. I really don't get it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gort posted:

Crafting seems to show up in every goddamn game regardless though. I really don't get it.

Well, I mean I just heard that its the kind of crafting that makes things actually meaningfully customizable across a wide range of things rather than just adding damage or armor or whatever. But attached to a bad game so who cares.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ekster posted:

I'm waiting till Lords of the Fallen gets a big discount but I bet it's going to happen when Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin and Bloodborne come out. :v:

From what I've heard LotF is good, but not great. No idea about Bound by Flame.

LotF was $15 on Nuuvem not long ago, but everyone convinced me that it wasn't worth even that.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Papercut posted:

LotF was $15 on Nuuvem not long ago, but everyone convinced me that it wasn't worth even that.

It's not nearly as good as Dark Souls, but it's not terrible. just middle of the road.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Papercut posted:

Stop listening to those people. I am unfairly generous to LotF because I really want more people to take a stab a Souls-alike games, and LotF being first out of the gate and delivering a solid experience rather than the perfectly reasonable wet squid gets it a lot of points in my book. It's absolutely worth $15 even then.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

theultimo posted:

It's not nearly as good as Dark Souls, but it's not terrible. just middle of the road.

Basically, yeah. LoF clearly had a lot of love put into it, but the whole thing feels very unpolished and over-cooked - it's trying too much to be Dark Souls with extra stuff (portals! active story! more characters! you'll never see any of these things past the first hour!) which is admirable. I mean, you all played Doom despite it coming after Wolfenstein right? :v:

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Kibayasu posted:

Well, I mean I just heard that its the kind of crafting that makes things actually meaningfully customizable across a wide range of things rather than just adding damage or armor or whatever.

It's not really, though. You basically want to just keep crafting for the stat that increases the daze chance or whatever it's called because the enemies hardly ever have any pain or daze animations and can just wail on you constantly and ignore your attacks. So unless you want to be constantly dodge rolling between every single swing of your weapon, you need this stupid stat.

I hate Bound By Flame. The fact that it has any defenders on its Steam community forum is the dumbest thing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

This is why I think the Steam console would have to put an end to that. No one is going to want to mess around with their TV's screen flickering between resolutions when UPlay pops up and then having to use some on-screen mouse and keyboard to type in their e-mail address and password.

Consoles and Smart TVs LOVE getting me to use their lovely on-screen keyboards they periodically reprogram to be worse than before (seriously if I have a fuckin controller in my hand, let me do some controller buttons for my password jfc). Steam CONSOLE isn't going to change that even if anyone bought one.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Palpek posted:

Witcher 3 is going to own too though.

There's been like just enough sketchy news about that game that I think I might end up waiting a few days for goons to talk about it first.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Heads-up if you bought the game and haven't touched it in a while: The Titanfall Season Pass (so, all the DLC) is now free to celebrate the game's first birthday.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rookersh posted:

There's been like just enough sketchy news about that game that I think I might end up waiting a few days for goons to talk about it first.

What have you heard? The only thing I can think of is that I read someone complain about the quality of graphics from the last trailer.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Kins posted:

Heads-up if you bought the game and haven't touched it in a while: The Titanfall Season Pass (so, all the DLC) is now free to celebrate the game's first birthday.

Gas game.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

The Kins posted:

Does this even have any sort of singleplayer besides the tutorial, or is it all multiplayer-only? I tried the whole x-days free thing they had but couldn't find any, and then ended up not getting it for that reason.

Oh also, Ori and the Blind Forest seems REALLY good so far. Drop-dead gorgeous and fun as hell. The intro bits are very rail-roady but it does eventually let you actually play the game.

I also like how they use game mechanics to essentially make your own checkpoints!

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Tecman posted:

Does this even have any sort of singleplayer besides the tutorial, or is it all multiplayer-only? I tried the whole x-days free thing they had but couldn't find any, and then ended up not getting it for that reason.

Oh also, Ori and the Blind Forest seems REALLY good so far. Drop-dead gorgeous and fun as hell. The intro bits are very rail-roady but it does eventually let you actually play the game.
The single player is required multiplayer, no absolutely not.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Tecman posted:

Strictly multiplayer.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
In other news, Sega have announced a new 2D platformer by Game Freak, the studio behind Pokemon, is coming to Steam.

Even weirder, it's called "Tembo the Badass Elephant". Swish that around in your mouth a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZDtDl1Zh1c

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Game looks ownage as hell.

And speaking of ownage as hell games, Distance is 33% off right now http://store.steampowered.com/app/233610/?snr=1_620_4__45 :getin:

The Kins posted:

That's kinda cool. Game must be dead as gently caress for them to do this though.

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 11, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Kins posted:

In other news, Sega have announced a new 2D platformer by Game Freak, the studio behind Pokemon, is coming to Steam.

Even weirder, it's called "Tembo the Badass Elephant". Swish that around in your mouth a bit.

Take note every idiot hellfucker indie dev and their mothers, this is how you make a 2d platformer.

(Ori excluded.)

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Palpek posted:

Lords of the Fallen vs Bound by Flame? Which is better?

Lords of the fallen, it's a pretty decent attempt at a Dark Souls clone (looks really good too) and is much more forgiving.

Yodzilla posted:

That's kinda cool. Game must be dead as gently caress for them to do this though.

Oh yeah, it died a while back. It was really loving fun and their dedicated server p2p matchmaking hybrid system actually worked too, so :smith:.

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 11, 2015

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Tecman posted:

I also like how they use game mechanics to essentially make your own checkpoints!

Ori really is gorgeous. The platforming also seems rather spot on as well.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Not going to lie, I'd rather have Pokémon

e: than the elephant I mean

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

saucepanman posted:

Oh yeah, it died a while back. It was really loving fun and their dedicated server p2p matchmaking hybrid system actually worked too, so :smith:.

Yeah I actually really enjoyed Titanfall. Welp now I have a reason to fire it back up!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Not going to lie, I'd rather have Pokémon

Here you go. Free, official software for Windows, Mac, and iPad.

If you mean the mailine RPGs, they belong partly to Nintendo so that isn't happening.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
I’ve found Ori to be enjoyable, succeeding in unexpected areas but also a bit dry mechanically.

I am only two hours in and Ori seemingly lacks an interconnected feel a la Super Metroid but rather is more of a vague connect the dots type like Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet. I find most Metroidvanias of this type to be a jumbled mess of drab platforming nonsense vaguely connected by power-ups. Ori succeeds with a keen grasp of gameplay fundamentals, making simple changes to make rote platforming tasks engaging. Turret sections will throw an offspeed pitch, objects pushed uphill will slowly slink backwards as you dodge. The game has good gameplay sense and I look forward to see what else they change up.

Attempts to innovate on combat aren't quite as successful. Your main weapon is a guided shock wave and after a few upgrades you can shoot out several shocks at a time. Most enemies are a riff off Panser from SMB2, shooting spores at all angles hoping to tag you. You shoot blue dots, enemies shoot multiple colored dots and the collectibles are multicolored dots, it can be very hard to tell what hit you with motion blur added in. Combat quickly becomes tired and dry. Enemies are high health punching bags and you get just close enough to where you can hurt them and they can’t hurt you. Spam x dodge, repeat .

Gameplay flow can be stop and go. I've often jumped in thorns I didn't see or get bumped by an enemy in the shadows. The game loves to tempt you with paths that you soon find out should be done later. Add in a bit of trial and error gameplay and the innovative manual save aspect becomes more tedious than engaging. There’s less of a conquering feel and I often would die several times in an area and stubbornly refuse to create a new save point as the gameplay simply wasn't rewarding enough to save scum.

It’s definitely a solid game and I am focusing on the negatives but I would save my money at this point until a sale.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I legitimately liked Bound By Flame - it had great atmosphere, fantastic music and did a great job setting mood.

It's a shame everything else was dumb/bad, but I really liked it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

I legitimately liked Bound By Flame - it had great atmosphere, fantastic music and did a great job setting mood.

It's a shame everything else was dumb/bad, but I really liked it.

Man what? Did you play with VO off or something? And I know you didn't call generic fantasy video game music #5912 + an extra timpani "fantastic".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Saoshyant posted:

Here you go. Free, official software for Windows, Mac, and iPad.

If you mean the mailine RPGs, they belong partly to Nintendo so that isn't happening.

Ya I meant video pokémon not cards pokémon, thanks tho

Speaking of card games, Magic is free to play now, is it horrible?

• Locked thread