Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

simplefish posted:

I was watching some 80s comedy and everything they're saying about Reagan is what's being said about Trump. I saw a tweet about Trump being the first US president with worse English than the French one, but this is what I did for Dubya, only with more detail (I used to teach English to adult forriners, if there was ever a "fun" or goof-off lesson, students would love it when I gave them one of his speeches and asked them to correct the English. Yes, not every speech was applicable. No, there wasn't just one. I had a page with paragraphs out of like 3 different speeches)

In short, comedy is lazy, politicians will catch flak from someone always, taking people down a peg often gets a laugh, sky blue, water wet, fire hot, more at 11

Ronald Reagan was mentally ill. That's an indisputable fact; he was a wreck within a few years of his last term. He deserves a lot more leeway in weird English than later presidents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Could we graft the yf-23 to an f-35b for lols?

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

JcDent posted:

So, ugh, T-55s. Are they less armored/protected than some APCs, IFVs and MRAPs these days? Because if I'm reading Force on Force rulebook right, it has worse armor values than a lot of lighter vehicles. Is that true, or are the authors just hatin' on Soviets?

In modern terms, a T-55 has a pretty similar protection to the heavier IFVs out there, immune to 30mm APDS from the from and 14.5mm from the side. It's still a something versus KE threats, but modern armored vehicles have better HEAT protection in the heavier classes.

That can seem pretty crappy but it means a T-55 with modern ERA like a T-55M5 enjoys good protection versus anything short of a MBT KE round. It's still a fairly significant capability, the main issue is that if you're going to spend money on tank it makes more sense to do it on a T-72 chassis at this point, the basic vehicle is pretty much free compared to the what the upgrades cost.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Much like a gunfight, the first rule of a tank fight is to bring a tank. Even if it's a lovely tank.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

MrYenko posted:

Much like a gunfight, the first rule of a tank fight is to establish air superiority

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MrYenko posted:

Much like a gunfight, the first rule of a tank fight is to bring a tank. Even if it's a lovely tank.

And sometimes it doesn't work out well.

Please note that this is severely :nws: and :nms:.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Alternately, to swing it around to an earlier topic, bring some decent SHORAD.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

chitoryu12 posted:

And sometimes it doesn't work out well.

Please note that this is severely :nws: and :nms:.

Heh. It's weird when you go 'I've seen worse', yet the same day you get your new war placement order, and also are an old tanker. Like, that could be me if things get weird :okpos: :jiggled:

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 17, 2017

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Flying with KLM? Your copilot may be a king.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Kafouille posted:

In modern terms, a T-55 has a pretty similar protection to the heavier IFVs out there, immune to 30mm APDS from the from and 14.5mm from the side. It's still a something versus KE threats, but modern armored vehicles have better HEAT protection in the heavier classes.

That can seem pretty crappy but it means a T-55 with modern ERA like a T-55M5 enjoys good protection versus anything short of a MBT KE round. It's still a fairly significant capability, the main issue is that if you're going to spend money on tank it makes more sense to do it on a T-72 chassis at this point, the basic vehicle is pretty much free compared to the what the upgrades cost.

Well, even modern ERA only serves as an enhancement to the underlying armor's protection. You might be able to beat something like an RPG-7 or LAW with modern ERA like K5 and the frontal armor behind it, but you aren't going to mitigate nearly enough when it comes to 70's-present day ATGMs or even with the lighter modern man-portable stuff like the Panzerfaust 3 or AT4.

There's a reason the T-72/90/64/80 series ERA profiles expose most of the side and the entire rear of the tank. You could easily cover those areas, it just wouldn't contribute meaningful protection for the vast majority of threats with only 20-80mm of steel plate underneath it. This is also one of the reasons the ERA plates meant for IFVs are so much bulkier - there's a need for a spaced armor component in addition to the ERA to offer meaningful protection even for the lower end threats like RPGs.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 18, 2017

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Unfortunately, the FrankenHornet crashed just a few months later.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Saukkis posted:

Unfortunately, the FrankenHornet crashed just a few months later.

quote:

The pilots sustained permanent injuries to arms and legs during the ejection.

:staredog:

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

MrYenko posted:

I'd probably rather have a foot mobile modern ATGM than a light or ancient tank against a modern tank.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

NightGyr posted:

I'd probably rather have a foot mobile modern ATGM than a light or ancient tank against a modern tank.

Treat yourself, mount a MILAN on a Land Rover.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

NightGyr posted:

Yeah, but most of the places those truly ancient tanks are in use are thousands of miles from the nearest modern MBT.

If you're some somali pirate lord a Kruschev-era T55 is a really loving useful thing to have on call.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, but most of the places those truly ancient tanks are in use are thousands of miles from the nearest modern MBT.

If you're some somali pirate lord a Kruschev-era T55 is a really loving useful thing to have on call.

This is more what I meant. Against infantry with no AT weapons, even a T-34 is a hell of a force multiplier.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Can someone explain to me why Incirlik Air Base is so strategically critical? Maybe I'm dyslexic but Akrotiri and Dhekelia don't seem that far away from it, and have the benefit of being run by the British and not Erdogan.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hauldren Collider posted:

Can someone explain to me why Incirlik Air Base is so strategically critical? Maybe I'm dyslexic but Akrotiri and Dhekelia don't seem that far away from it, and have the benefit of being run by the British and not Erdogan.

It's a case of "it made sense at the time", but to be fair to everyone involved, it did actually make sense all those years ago.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

It's substantially closer, increasing loiter and response time. It also doesn't require flying over the areas of Syria held by Assad and pals, Israel, Lebanon, etc. to drop a bomb on ISIS territory.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

inkjet_lakes posted:

Treat yourself, mount a MILAN on a Land Rover.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Warbadger posted:

It's substantially closer, increasing loiter and response time. It also doesn't require flying over the areas of Syria held by Assad and pals, Israel, Lebanon, etc. to drop a bomb on ISIS territory.

I feel like flying over Israel shouldn't be much of a big deal. Furthermore, if that's really an issue, why don't we just use an Israeli airbase?

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

I feel like flying over Israel shouldn't be much of a big deal. Furthermore, if that's really an issue, why don't we just use an Israeli airbase?

Because then every Muslim partner drops out of your coalition because they don't want to be seen as indirectly cooperating with the Israeli

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Do we have any indication if the Turkish military is near to Iran/Iraq war levels of dysfunction post coup attempt?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Kemper Boyd posted:

There was a significant element of pro-Soviet thought in the Finnish right wing parties and their supporting organizations, on account of business interests, since bilateral trade between the Soviet Union was essentially a license to print money for Finnish industrialists.

I saw a book in the bookshop about this called "Let's Rip off the Bolsheviks!" but it was 35 euros so I passed.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The little tank that could.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Trump's comment to the Coast Guard about saving them money on the Ford class reminded me of something.

We operate carriers so big that a c-130, a plane slightly bigger than the original 737, could take off and land from them. All without using a tail hook or a RATO.

It also made me wish the Coast Guard had their own carriers.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

RandomPauI posted:

It also made me wish the Coast Guard had their own carriers.
Cool Factor aside, there's not exactly a ton of need for them. Since they tend to stay in/near territorial waters, it makes much more sense to operate planes from regional land bases, and for helicopters, pretty much every cutter large enough to support a helipad already has one.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
When I think of groups that require major power projection potential, my first thought is the US Coast Guard

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MikeCrotch posted:

When I think of groups that require major power projection potential, my first thought is the US Coast Guard

JINA is building cutters for their Coast Guard that displace 12,000+ tons: http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/why-china-is-building-the-worlds-largest-coast-guard-1677699141

We mustn't allow a Cutter Gap!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Not even gonna lie, I'd DD a Wiesel.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MikeCrotch posted:

I agree, but I will point out that historically they've been used for it in the past.

My maternal grandfather was in the CG during WW2 and spent his 17th birthday (lied about his age) off the coast of Leyte.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015
Coastguard were deployed to Vietnam too

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

MrYenko posted:

Not even gonna lie, I'd DD a Wiesel.

Now are you talking about TOW-Wiesel?

Mortar Wiesel?
SAM-Wiesel?
Scout Wiesel?
20mm Cannon Wiesel?
Ambulance Wiesel?
30mm Recoilless Cannon Wiesel?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

To be fair to the Coast Guard, they were deployed to the Persian Gulf in both 1990 and 2003 doing boardings and port security. I don't think any of the units saw combat and they seemed to have gotten by without a carrier, but they were very much involved in dangerous stuff far from home.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Blistex posted:

Mortar Wiesel?
SAM-Wiesel?
Scout Wiesel?
20mm Cannon Wiesel?
Ambulance Wiesel?

Ideally the 20mm cannon version, but I'm not picky.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Cyrano4747 posted:

My maternal grandfather was in the CG during WW2 and spent his 17th birthday (lied about his age) off the coast of Leyte.

Mine was a CG diver. Apparently the navy borrowed him and he spent the war recovering sensitive materials from sunken ships.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Blistex posted:

Mortar Wiesel?
SAM-Wiesel?
Scout Wiesel?
20mm Cannon Wiesel?
Ambulance Wiesel?

Wait, wait. I knew all about traditional recoiless rifles. But when did they figure out how to make good recoiless autocannons?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

golden bubble posted:

Wait, wait. I knew all about traditional recoiless rifles. But when did they figure out how to make good recoiless autocannons?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheinmetall_RMK30

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Buried right at the end of that wiki is the fact that some imaginative souls wanted to use it to bring back the concept of the Undersea Cruiser by putting it in a popup turret on a Type 212 . Sadly the idea dates back to 2004 and seems never to have gone anywhere. Another sad defeat for glorious *Pew-Pew*.

More about the history of that famously successful design concept below.

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/the-ultimate-weapon-the-battleship-submarine-14816

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh god those comments