Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Outrail posted:

Spoon/lid rest?

The lid fits into the handles, actually. It’s quite elegant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

BrianBoitano posted:

You joke, but there's an amazing difference between honey that's been heated above ~150 and honey that hasn't.

And what effect would you say a can of chipotle peppers and abodo sauce has on raw honey?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

And what effect would you say a can of chipotle peppers and abodo sauce has on raw honey?

Not everyone is heat sensitive. Sweet isn't equal. You'll notice the difference with honey syrups and cocktails despite strong flavors too

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Well seeing as aroma is a huge component of flavor, and capsaicin doesn't numb your nose, I'd say you could tell boiled-to-mix vs warmed-to-mix side by side. Depending on what you put your spicy honey on, that could be a welcome thing or not. You can always heat those off layer if you don't like them, but if it's easy to preserve them then why not?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Human Tornada posted:

Oh my heavens, not the complex notes!
Different bees in different places using different flowers produce different honey. It's not some weird cork-sniffer thing. There's literally hallucinogenic honey---called mad honey, which is what you get when your bees get nectar for honey from rhododendrons. The fact that what you get out of the plastic bear is the same regardless of what time of year it is or where you are is the result of intentional blending and homogenisation for flavour consistency. Which, you know, is great if you just want some generic honey. But if you get five pounds of local honey that's something that you might want to do something with that preserves its unique character.

And heating honey makes in more acidic. This by itself changes the flavour, and the acidity in turn leads to the breakdown of other compounds in the honey---enzymes and amino acids coming both from the raw materials (the nectar and pollen) and from the processing done by the bees. This is in fact one of the primary tests for identifying fake or adulterated honey. I mean if you want a big infodump on honey chemistry we can do that, but the changes are dramatic enough that you can't feed heat-processed honey to bees because it can kill them.

Note that I'm not saying don't make pepper honey or never heat honey or anything like that. I'm saying that honey is an ingredient that is sensitive to handling, and so there are some things that are better done with the stuff in the plastic bear and other things that work better with a bunch of stuff from your local beekeeper.

And it's not like getting a bundle of greens that you've got to go through in a couple days or it'll go bad. Property handled (or just not too improperly handled) honey will last literally thousands of years.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

BrianBoitano posted:

Well seeing as aroma is a huge component of flavor, and capsaicin doesn't numb your nose, I'd say you could tell boiled-to-mix vs warmed-to-mix side by side. Depending on what you put your spicy honey on, that could be a welcome thing or not. You can always heat those off layer if you don't like them, but if it's easy to preserve them then why not?

This is a fair point. Chipotles in adobo have plenty of strong flavors besides capsaicin that I would think would overpower whatever gets lost by boiling the honey, but I fully admit I don't have any evidence of this.

SubG posted:

Note that I'm not saying don't make pepper honey or never heat honey or anything like that. I'm saying that honey is an ingredient that is sensitive to handling, and so there are some things that are better done with the stuff in the plastic bear and other things that work better with a bunch of stuff from your local beekeeper.

And it's not like getting a bundle of greens that you've got to go through in a couple days or it'll go bad. Property handled (or just not too improperly handled) honey will last literally thousands of years.

My post was in response to someone who wants to know how to use up a bunch of free honey, not someone who came back from the farmer's market with a cute little mason jar of the stuff. Boiling a small portion of it isn't some crime against Alton Brown.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 3, 2018

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ah the instant pot. I have a related question. If I bought one (provided I find one in Germany, it's always sold out) and planned to get rid of my rice cooker. What is the minimum amount of rice I can make in it? Like will I have to make 6 cups or can I just do 1 or 2 as well?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Halloween Jack posted:

Raw honey is an Yngwie Malmsteen of flavour

After all, you are the savior of your honey flavor.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hopper posted:

Ah the instant pot. I have a related question. If I bought one (provided I find one in Germany, it's always sold out) and planned to get rid of my rice cooker. What is the minimum amount of rice I can make in it? Like will I have to make 6 cups or can I just do 1 or 2 as well?

I've done 2 cups on the mid-size model because I always do 2 cups at a time for my typical weekly meal layout. But, I see no reason why only 1 cup would not work out at all. I'd feel comfortable doing 1 cup in mine but have not tried to yet.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

I did one cup when I first got mine. It's the 8qt model and I wasn't careful to distribute all the rice under the water so it didn't cook all of it. The middle of the pot is peaked slightly so you should almost make a ring of rice around it. It didn't burn or anything, just didn't cook like a small portion of the grains.

Another option would be to cook the rice using the "pot in pot" method so it's just in a smaller volume but you get the benefit of that sweet, sweet 4-minute rice cooking time.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Okay, so follow up question. Is an i stant pot a good choice if I:
- cook rice occasionally
- steam veggies occasionally
- want to steam buns/dim sum
- like cooking but want fast meals during the week
- don't have a pressure cooker yet

I know everybody raves about it online but I'd rather trust you guys that some fake reviews.
A good fit for me would be the Duo 60 I guess since we are 2 in our household + guests.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've only had mine for a few days but I got the ultra 80 since I wanted to try sous vide in it and use it as a bread proofer for sourdough. I sous vided some eggs and it was wonderful. I also got the 8qt because I was tired of how tiny our old slow cooker was and I never want to deal with that again!

So far, I've:
- Cooked rice. It was magical.
- Caramelized onions. It was pretty fast and everyone loves those onions.
- Made a breakfast casserole. It was like a 25 minute cooking time instead of 35 but the texture is quite interesting. Not sure if I prefer it or if next time I'd just broil some cheese on top so there's a bit of crunch in there. Maybe use a torch?

In the works is a potato/lentil/bean curry that I've been dying to try but usually takes a loving hour to cook. Lentils apparently do their thing in 2-4 minutes but potatoes take a full 20 so I'm not sure if I should just chuck it all in there together. I'll probably just chuck it all in there together and see what happens!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Hopper posted:

Okay, so follow up question. Is an i stant pot a good choice if I:
- cook rice occasionally
- steam veggies occasionally
- want to steam buns/dim sum
- like cooking but want fast meals during the week
- don't have a pressure cooker yet

I know everybody raves about it online but I'd rather trust you guys that some fake reviews.
A good fit for me would be the Duo 60 I guess since we are 2 in our household + guests.
Totally cross off the idea of using the instant pot for steaming. Steaming is a gentle method that's quick on its own. Pressure cooking is an aggressively thorough method that's good for speeding up things with super long cook times. Start steaming vegetables in your microwave and never look back.

You can still get an instant pot if you'll use it for things like beans or big cuts of meat, it might still be worthwhile, but factor out steaming completely.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 3, 2018

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Anne Whateley posted:

Totally cross off the idea of using the instant pot for steaming. Steaming is a gentle method that's quick on its own. Pressure cooking is an aggressively thorough method that's good for speeding up things with super long cook times. Start steaming vegetables in your microwave and never look back.
You can steam something in a normal pot. Presumably an instapot can handle that...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You can steam something in a normal pot. Presumably an instapot can handle that...

Yeah I think you just have to make sure the valve is set to release and it won't go hog wild pressure steaming. I'll have to experiment.

It's a pain in the rear end to add water during the process for steaming things like, say, seitan that need a good 40 minutes in there or a whole shitload of frozen veggies though.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It is theoretically possible if you're stranded on an island with nothing but an instant pot, an outlet, and frozen vegetables. But if you're looking for a quicker or easier way than you're already steaming on the stovetop, nope. Get a microwave steamer.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Human Tornada posted:

My post was in response to someone who wants to know how to use up a bunch of free honey, not someone who came back from the farmer's market with a cute little mason jar of the stuff. Boiling a small portion of it isn't some crime against Alton Brown.
`Don't overcook this thing you might not have known you even can overcook' isn't some kind of weird elitism thing. It's basic cooking knowledge. Which is what this thread is about.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

accidentally bought ground beef for burgs forgetting that I thawed some ground turkey yesterday from last t-giving.

there's no good turcow frankenburger is there? I'll just have to have some bland turkey burgs too...

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

accidentally bought ground beef for burgs forgetting that I thawed some ground turkey yesterday from last t-giving.

there's no good turcow frankenburger is there? I'll just have to have some bland turkey burgs too...

You are the burgher of your burger. Add turkey to that cow patty. It'll be good. Maybe one cooks faster than the other - so be it.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I'm going to make hummus for the first time. The recipe says to soak the chickpeas 'overnight'.
So possibly stupid question: Does that mean I need to start soaking them in the evening and then make the hummus in the morning, or can I put the chickpeas in to soak around lunchtime and leave them until that time tomorrow? Can you over soak them? The recipe also says to add bicarb of soda to the water if that makes any difference to soaking time.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Hopper posted:

I've done the PIP method with as little as 1/2 cup rice. I have an 8 qt for the record.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
A recipe I made called for "zomi" which is a lightly spiced red palm oil that is used in some African cuisines. I cannot find a recipe for it, mostly due to red palm oil being some dumb hipster health food fad, and it seems like it is mostly just bought in a bottle.

Does anyone know roughly what it is or how to make it?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Hopper posted:

I use mine for rice all the time. I just do one or two cups and its fine. You only really need to use a 1:1 ratio for rice to water, too, which is kind of nice.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Helith posted:

I'm going to make hummus for the first time. The recipe says to soak the chickpeas 'overnight'.
So possibly stupid question: Does that mean I need to start soaking them in the evening and then make the hummus in the morning, or can I put the chickpeas in to soak around lunchtime and leave them until that time tomorrow? Can you over soak them? The recipe also says to add bicarb of soda to the water if that makes any difference to soaking time.

Not really a useful answer but if you gently caress it up there's always canned chickpeas.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Helith posted:

This is one of those things where you will find about a thousand specific ways of doing it and it doesn't really matter. Maybe one way is faster than another but if you're not too concerned with that, just cook them according to whatever method until they are rather soft and you can easily crush one with your fingers. It's pretty hard to overcook them if you're going to use them for hummus; if you're in doubt about whether they're ready then just go a bit longer.

That said during any soaking prior to cooking, they will eventually ferment and get a bit nasty, 18-24hours is about as long as you should go I think.

breaks fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 4, 2018

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Helith posted:

it depends on a bunch of factors including relative humidity, age of the chickpeas, etc.

in my experience, dried chickpeas have pretty slow turnover in the US and are typically hard as rocks, so oversoaking is unlikely

soaking in alkaline water will definitely hasten the process though

lastly, I don't think firmness is nearly as important for hummus as for falafel, so I think you'd be totally fine soaking them that long

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Thanks for the answers. So generally you’d soak them for about 8-12 hours but you can for up to 24 if they need it. And cooking can be variable time as well.
These are Aussie chickpeas bought from a middle eastern wholesaler shop so I’d guess they have quick turnover. They have been in my pantry for a few months though.
It’s winter here so it’s cool and humidity is low. I think I’ll put them in to soak just before I head out to dinner and cook them mid morning-ish.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My three year old has grown some peas and wants to eat them: there aren’t enough to just have some peas with dinner, can anyone suggest a child-friendly recipe that showcases peas, but doesn’t require a massive quantity?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Scientastic posted:

My three year old has grown some peas and wants to eat them: there aren’t enough to just have some peas with dinner, can anyone suggest a child-friendly recipe that showcases peas, but doesn’t require a massive quantity?

When I did this as a kid I just ate them. :effort:

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Scientastic posted:

When I was a kid I loved tuna casserole with peas. Since the rest of the dish is mushy beige they are a pop of color.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Peas are best lightly sautéed with butter, or raw. Light steaming, is okay too.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mixed in with freshly steamed short grain rice.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Toss 'em into risotto about 2 minutes before it's ready. They stand out, and they are a great pop of freshness when you bite into one.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Helith posted:

Can confirm putting them in the evening before and making them in the evening, so 24 hours ish, works fine for me.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'm looking for a specific recipe from these forums. It was in the last dinner thread, but I can't for the life of me find it. It was basically saag paneer/indian spinach curry I think. OP made it for lunch and aluminum foil trays were included in the post. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Scientastic posted:

A knife and some honey

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Scientastic posted:

Little hand pies/tarts in a light tomato sauce or something maybe? That's really cute!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've never pickled anything in my life but I've grown more cucamelons than I could reasonable eat, is there an easy idiot's guide to pickling I can follow?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I've never pickled anything in my life but I've grown more cucamelons than I could reasonable eat, is there an easy idiot's guide to pickling I can follow?

We have some cuca’s growing too. Hot days burnt a ton of new blossoms but hopefully we’ll still get a decent yield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

cakesmith handyman posted:

Boil 6 cups water with 2 T white vinegar and 1/4 cup salt. Allow to cool. Put cucumbers into jars (cut them or don’t, up to you) along with a handful of chopped dill, some chopped garlic, a bay leaf, and a dozen or so black peppercorns, then pour in brine to cover. Refrigerate for a week, they should keep for a month or so. I got this recipe from the goons with spoons wiki and it’s really, really good. Fresh pickles are a revelation compared to ones cooked during canning.