Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
how are you guys getting it to talk at all it basically never talked to me and I got like 5 roto lotos all game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Anyone still got that Showdown replay of the guy that got critted and stayed in the room 2 hours after losing complaining?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If you tap on it when it's eyes are half-lidded he'll ask you a question, if you answer it he'll give you a lotto, if you keep doing this he'll sometimes just give you a lotto without asking a question but he'll also start interjecting "advice" every single time you exit a battle or a menu.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I get the lottos so frequently I don’t even bother cashing them in half the time, because pausing every minute is just too much.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
Only thing I need from lottos now are roto-hatches, which I need an unlimited amount of forever.

Also RotomDex is my friend and shows me resists/weaknesses without me having to look at a chart.

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009
Personally, I feel the first generation did a better job with the whole 'kid on an adventure' thing. Maybe it was due to the limited hardware, but still.
Now it's very much into keeping you company at all times.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Velisarius posted:

Personally, I feel the first generation did a better job with the whole 'kid on an adventure' thing.

It was cause you were 5 when you played it.

It was strictly worse at basically everything and as a franchise the games have objectively just gotten better over time.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

If open world was something they were actually going to do, they should go a Xenoblade direction. Just make the routes freaking huge, put the lower level, unevolved stuff near the critical path, but put way stronger stuff there that will trounce you across the routes from the start.

Put a Lv 90 Salamence or Tyrannitar in the first route to gently caress peoples day up.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Make gen 8 a long series of linear hallways

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

iospace posted:

There were many reasons given why, and here's two off the top of my head:

1. It's a kid's game. It's been shown in the past that if you give them a choice of where to go they can get lost.

This isn't a bad thing at all. In fact, it's been shown in the past that kids will continue to bang their heads against a wall in order to overcome basically any obstacle. Kids have way more patience for video games than you give them credit for.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

An open world Pokemon game is just a logistical nightmare. Going with gyms (as this should be the easiest example to understand) you need to have all of them be at least somewhat of a challenge, which means giving them a team for each possible placement: that's eight teams each (0-7 badges).

Have you seen the trainer list for the battle towers in these games? I feel like that's one of the much smaller problems on the list.

quote:

Going beyond that, you have to keep the wild Pokemon levelled enough so that the player can get some experience, and you'd want to have the right evolution tier in each, meaning that just raising levels per badge is not enough, but you also need the player to be able to see them all so you can't just completely remove a stage and make it unobtainable without breeding either.

uhh I'm not sure what you mean by the second part of this but basically I was thinking that you'd increase the range/evolutionary stage with the number of badges you get. So at the outset you'd only see level 5s Pidgeys, and after 2 badges you start seeing like level 15 pidgeottos or whatever.

Scaling the wild pokemon is obviously the biggest challenge to doing a more open style game but there's a couple of different ways to do it, and frankly I would prefer the freedom it gives in terms of the number of different pokemon you could catch over any downside it would bring.

quote:

And of course, even if you do it right, you'll alienate the part of the fanbase that likes linear games and doesn't like open worlds or that wants to play a more normal Pokemon game. You lose more players than you gain.

I think whether the game is more fun is more important than the 'style' of the game. I wouldn't have such a problem with a linear game if there were more branching or optional paths where a wider variety of pokemon can be caught. I just think it makes more sense to open everything up some more, since at least it would allow for more interesting replays.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Zuzie posted:

A Zelda-style open world doesn't work for an RPG like Pokémon as the battles, and the bulk of the game's systems and mechanics, take place in a disconnected battle screen. Also the player character is practically invincible (since the losing condition is tied to your Pokémon's health) and is inconvenienced by short ledges, bodies of water and until Sun and Moon, small trees.

As for Rotom dex, you don't need to worry too much as he's probably going to be dropped for the Switch game anyway, just like Pokegear, Pokenav, Poketch, The Pokewalker, Dream World, Pass Powers, Wonder Launcher, O-Powers, PSS, Super Training and Dexnav.

Why do you people think I'm asking for some kind of BoTW or GTA type open world game? I'm not asking for a 'go anywhere, do anything' type of game. Just open the routes up, stop gating off content with insane roadblocks. Let me challenge the gyms in any order, and let me catch pokemon from a later route.

You can still have postgame content locked off. You can still do a story. This isn't something crazy here.

Just have the player character start in like a central hub town with several spokes leading to towns and gyms. They can go down whatever spoke they want.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Borsche69 posted:

Why do you people think I'm asking for some kind of BoTW or GTA type open world game? I'm not asking for a 'go anywhere, do anything' type of game. Just open the routes up, stop gating off content with insane roadblocks. Let me challenge the gyms in any order, and let me catch pokemon from a later route.

You can still have postgame content locked off. You can still do a story. This isn't something crazy here.

Just have the player character start in like a central hub town with several spokes leading to towns and gyms. They can go down whatever spoke they want.

Just play the pokemon minigame in WoW.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Borsche69 posted:

This isn't a bad thing at all. In fact, it's been shown in the past that kids will continue to bang their heads against a wall in order to overcome basically any obstacle. Kids have way more patience for video games than you give them credit for.

In an interview the devs mentioned a lot of kids got too lost in Sinnoh to finish the game. Hence the move to a more linear map for Unova.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Borsche69 posted:

uhh I'm not sure what you mean by the second part of this but basically I was thinking that you'd increase the range/evolutionary stage with the number of badges you get. So at the outset you'd only see level 5s Pidgeys, and after 2 badges you start seeing like level 15 pidgeottos or whatever.

Scaling the wild pokemon is obviously the biggest challenge to doing a more open style game but there's a couple of different ways to do it, and frankly I would prefer the freedom it gives in terms of the number of different pokemon you could catch over any downside it would bring.

Or you could just do what Gen 6 and 7 have done and have every route have a large variety of possible pokes and a structured main path and you get the best part of scaling encounters without the issues of it becoming a homogenized mess like almost every scaled encounter system in video game history has.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Strange Quark posted:

In an interview the devs mentioned a lot of kids got too lost in Sinnoh to finish the game. Hence the move to a more linear map for Unova.

Sinnoh was its own brand of confusing because you had to go through the central mountain in a bunch of different ways depending on what HMs you have. Even on my last replay a couple months ago it took looking the map up to get to the Snow Zone without getting lost. All the other games up to that point involved a bunch of backtracking and crisscrossing the country but are way less confusing. Sinnoh's big problem is definitely that loving central mountain. But instead of "we implemented this HM gating in a confusing way" they read it as "backtracking makes kids cry" or some poo poo.
Honestly I think the most confusing map in the series is Kalos because of the giant and round and differently-cameraed hub city. I bet those cabs were added comparatively last-minute because of how loving horrible that city is without them.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

For a big "open world" Pokemon game, for discussion's sake, the mythical "Go to every region" game, maybe make it so whatever region you start in is on rails.
If you start in Kanto, then you do the whole: Pewter, Cerulean, Vermillion, etc... Order, with all the linearity we've come to know and love.

But then, once you beat the Elite 4 of your region, then the regions scale for you.
So when you go to Johto, their Route 1 has like level 50 Noctowl running around with level 26 Hoothoot, and Falkner has a full 6 Bird team, since by that point your team is leveled up anyways and you're just testing yourself against other gyms to qualify for other leagues to become the Unified League Champion or whatever.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Borsche69 posted:

I feel like there's no shortage of people who grew up playing games who have an anecdote of playing pokemon/final fantasy/etc. before they had a strong grasp of language or whatever and get through via persistence.

Like, R/B/Y weren't particularly hand-holdy, there was some stuff you could do out of order, same with G/S/C. Effective design or not, kids managed it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Open world Pokemon is the common fan idea that actually sucks

Now a Pokemon MMO, that's the real good fan idea

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Pokemon MMO would destroy my life forever

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cheetah7071 posted:

MMOs were a mistake.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Put a high-effort pokemon gacha on my phone and I will be poor and nintendo will be rich, forever

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pokemon is already an MMO.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm still holding out for the gritty, realistic Rainbow Six-esque Pokemon FPS. Use your Machamp squadmate to breach doors/walls. Throw in a Electrode or two to keep the Rockets' heads down. Put on a gas mask and thermal goggles to navigate through the Smokescreens. Charge into the hail of enemy fire behind Sgt. Mime (voiced by Terry Crews). Then, once you've cornered the HVTs, bring up your Jigglypuff to subdue them.

Alpha Build Screenshots:
http://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/pokemon-war-combat/

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I've done it. All I have left to complete my pokedex is Poipole and Naganadel. No more excuses.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I think a BOTW style pokemon game could be pretty good if they took a cue from the mystery dungeon games and had you just play a pokemon in a world of pokemon, personality tests to determine what your playing as included.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

PetraCore posted:

I've done it. All I have left to complete my pokedex is Poipole and Naganadel. No more excuses.

Just GTS a couple of Poipoles. They'll undoubtedly be hacked/shiny but hey, demon dragon wasp is too badass to resist.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Caidin posted:

I think a BOTW style pokemon game could be pretty good if they took a cue from the mystery dungeon games and had you just play a pokemon in a world of pokemon, personality tests to determine what your playing as included.

So what you want is an open-world mystery dungeon. Never played the series, but I've heard of the personality test thing, it sounds neat but I wonder how many people just cheat to get the pokemon they like.

cheetah7071 posted:

What would a Pokemon MMO even really entail? Wouldn't mind if some of the multiplayer/connectivity stuff they've tried in the past was a bit more seamless (like secret bases) but I can't say I'd really ever like to be forced to deal with pokemon PVP.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

What would a Pokemon MMO even really entail? Wouldn't mind if some of the multiplayer/connectivity stuff they've tried in the past was a bit more seamless (like secret bases) but I can't say I'd really ever like to be forced to deal with pokemon PVP.

I don't know, all I know is that I want it

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

mandatory lesbian posted:

go to gamefreak and talk to the guy who gives you the charm

if youre a guy you get something inferior i think, bc pokemon wont get with the times and let guys wear skirts in game
let boys wear cute clothes in 2018

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

So what you want is an open-world mystery dungeon. Never played the series, but I've heard of the personality test thing, it sounds neat but I wonder how many people just cheat to get the pokemon they like.

Eh, sorta. The PMD games always had you be some schmuck who gets turned into a pokemon by someone/thing or another to save the pokemon world for reasons the plot may or may not justify. I feel like that would be a good vehicle for an open world game of semi aimless roaming within a pokemon setting. They're could be all kinds of weird environmental interactions with the type of the pokemon your playing as to really mix things up on a replay or something. Like a fire type would need significantly more preparations and equipment to manage the swamp area while if you were playing a squirtle you'd walk right in.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Oxyclean posted:

The last one just gave you an option of doing the test or straight up picking. :v:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

As much as I like the lurantis outfit I'd gleefully maim to get to wear the kommo-o armor.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Diet Poison posted:

Sinnoh was its own brand of confusing because you had to go through the central mountain in a bunch of different ways depending on what HMs you have. Even on my last replay a couple months ago it took looking the map up to get to the Snow Zone without getting lost. All the other games up to that point involved a bunch of backtracking and crisscrossing the country but are way less confusing. Sinnoh's big problem is definitely that loving central mountain. But instead of "we implemented this HM gating in a confusing way" they read it as "backtracking makes kids cry" or some poo poo.
Diamond was the first pokemon game I played as a 10 year old brat and I had absolutely zero problems with Mt. Coronet? :shrug:

Dienes posted:

As much as I like the lurantis outfit I'd gleefully maim to get to wear the kommo-o armor.
let girls wear weird dragon armor in 2018

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Dienes posted:

What the gently caress is the point of the lurantis outfit if it doesn’t have the big poofy bell bottoms!!!!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Just let me look exactly like a Lurantis and walk around the world.

I guess I *would* like an open world PMD game, if you could be in control of any of the species with enough effort.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

lillie is a ditto....

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Uuuugh Battle Royal is so tedious.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PetraCore posted:

the various battle things (and the get a bajillion points in the camera mini-game) are all currently stymieing my attempts to get all the stickers, they're just too tedious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

PetraCore posted:

I bred an alolan Muk with minimize, gunk shot, shadow sneak, and something else i cant remember. Maybe protect? It seems to cheese the battle royale hard - single handedly brought me to master rank without a single loss.