Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

RGX posted:

Grim Dawn, I love you for the sheer amount of loot you spray at me every time I kill even a slightly challenging enemy. It pleases my lizard brain.

Grim Dawn, I hate you for making 99.999% of that loot absolutely worthless other than to sell for gold, of which I have a stupendous amount.

This games been scratching my Diablo itch perfectly in every other respect, but I really shouldn't be using level 12 boots with a level 50 character simply because they have an item specific AOE stomp that makes just about every swarm encounter much more fun to play. I don't expect legendary or epic items every ten minutes, but I shouldn't be able to play a 4 hour session of a game like this, screen every items stats meticulously, and end it with exactly the same gear I started with. Did I just get lucky early? Who knows, but it's a bit of a downer.

Reminds me of Titan Quest where I kept using lovely boots bracers simply because they gave me movement speed. Found fancy legwarmers with tons of armor and 8 modifiers? No movement speed, no dice. I have to be like Hermes and gotta go fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah Embermane is a "is someone in your squad using a hammer" check because if they are RIP embermane.

Wait till you fight the electric boss whose next, because youre gonna get murderlated unless your team actually destroys the spikes he shoots out

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know if this counts, cuz it's more of a "thing I know about that bothers me" thing:

I'm on kinda a Legend of Zelda kick. I've got a Switch that is barely being played.

But unless I find out that all of that stuff about your weapons breaking was a misfortunate error patched out, I'm not playing Breath of the Wild. If the dudes who made System Shock 2 in the year of our lord nineteen hundred and ninety nine realized weapon breaking was poo poo enough to make it a command line option (or whatever it was) back then, I'm not playing something nearly twenty years later with weapon breaking.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it's good

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Fair enough if it's your personal dealbreaker, but the way it's implemented is totally fine. You can carry enough weapons so you're extremely unlikely to ever be left without any weapon at all, and you'll never find the ultra great weapon you're afraid of using cause it'll break. You'll think you did, and five hours later you'll have stockpiled four of them and feel silly.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the whole system is designed around using the weapons around you or the real good poo poo you find and mark on your map for future reference, rewarding you to not mind wasting the quality of a weapon on a few bokoblins because there's usually a lot of the same-grade poo poo laying around. understandable to dislike the system in the first place, but it's something you can ease in to if you put your mind to it

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
You just have to accept that the people who made BoTW are true artists and they thought about it.

Definitely play BoTW. Rise above your lizard brain

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Im glad the game had a demo because I hated it. It doesn't feel like a Zelda game to me it feels like an unfinished open world game that someone threw link into.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
actually, botw bad

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This might be a little petty even for this thread, but in the turn-based strategy game Battle Brothers, you run a mercenary company with its own banner. Later in the game, you get to fight nobles and their knights, who often have fancy helmets. HOWEVER, none of these fancy helmets have designs that quite gel with the banner you have, which means I can't play fashionista with my armymans AND IT IS BUGGING THE gently caress OUT OF ME.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

spit on my clit posted:

the whole system is designed around using the weapons around you or the real good poo poo you find and mark on your map for future reference, rewarding you to not mind wasting the quality of a weapon on a few bokoblins because there's usually a lot of the same-grade poo poo laying around. understandable to dislike the system in the first place, but it's something you can ease in to if you put your mind to it

On the one hand yes the game does poo poo weapons on you.

On the other bokoblins don't drop good weapons at all so wasting your cool fire swords on them just gets you clubs and sticks.

I had significantly more fun once I said gently caress it and skipped all combat because the rewards weren't worth it and it was a net loss every time.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it doesn't take that long to get an unbreakable weapon you can use on trash like goblins, if you're at the point of having really good weaponry that you don't want to "waste" you can probably get it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it doesn't take that long to get an unbreakable weapon you can use on trash like goblins, if you're at the point of having really good weaponry that you don't want to "waste" you can probably get it

You mean the unbreakable weapon that goes on a 10 minute cooldown?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

well yeah, if you're choosing to mindlessly grind goblin camps instead of doing literally anything else I can see that being an issue, but the world is hardly overrun with enemies so you can just... not get into trash fights every five minutes

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

well yeah, if you're choosing to mindlessly grind goblin camps instead of doing literally anything else I can see that being an issue, but the world is hardly overrun with enemies so you can just... not get into trash fights every five minutes

Trash fights and copy pasted shrines are like 90% of the world though. I did enough shrines to get the sword, beat the beasts, finished the game and don't intend to look back.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I really have like nothing positive to say about the design of Breath of the Wild. It is a staggering achievement in designing a game where I don't like a single aspect of it because even the good bits tie back into systems that shouldn't exist and design decisions that shouldn't have happened.

Presumably, therefore, if you need to seal me away for 1,000 years so the land knows peace you already know what magic component you need for your spell.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Currently playing Vampyr. Am about ten hours in and after several long nights of battling my blood lust, turning into a teleporting mist, burning in the sun, being repelled by crosses, throwing spears of blood and biting enemies with my razor sharp fangs, the lead character asks in a conversation: "Am I... a vampire?!"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I would call Breath of the Wild a series of extremely well thought-out decisions that deserve to be anywhere that isn't a Zelda game.

Shines are neat. As many people have said, weapon durability's not actually that bad, you just have to get used to the playstyle it encourages and rewards. While some of the world mechanics or weather effects can be frustrating if you're going in not knowing or expecting any of them, they're really well-considered in the constraints they give you and make for an interesting experience. The glyphs you get remain constantly useful and interesting. The setting does really well at making the quiet, wide open space of your typical open world game actually feel real and meaningful instead of just 'a stretch of land'. I give a thumbs-up to basically the whole game!

But I bought a loving Zelda game. I want a good six-to-eight dungeons, that all look and feel really different. I want a progressively more versatile and interesting toolset to look forward to. I want planned and considered puzzles that aren't just mechanics crashing into each other. I've got what I thought was a pretty understandable list of things I want in Zelda games, and Breath of the Wild doesn't have them.

None of that's really the fault of the open world, I should say. I think an open world Zelda game could have been good, I overall trust Nintendo to make good open world games after Mario Odyssey, and I'm pretty optimistic about seeing that's something they've got planned for Pokemon (although I have a couple reflexive sticking points that I hope they've given serious thought to). But given how their attempt to make an open world Zelda felt nothing like Zelda to me, I'd prefer they not try again with that series for a while.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Just use bombs if you want to hoard every weapon

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cleretic posted:

But I bought a loving Zelda game. I want a good six-to-eight dungeons, that all look and feel really different. I want a progressively more versatile and interesting toolset to look forward to. I want planned and considered puzzles that aren't just mechanics crashing into each other. I've got what I thought was a pretty understandable list of things I want in Zelda games, and Breath of the Wild doesn't have them.

We live in an era of deeply conservative game development from major publishers. It's nice to see a company - especially Nintendo - try to move away from rote game design and try new things. You've got like 20 of those games you want - it was way past time for a change.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Len posted:

You mean the unbreakable weapon that goes on a 10 minute cooldown?

Not if you finish the trials of the sword, it lasts forever then iirc.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Schneider Inside Her posted:

You just have to accept that the people who made BoTW are true artists and they thought about it.

Yeah, but the folks behind System Shock 2 thought the same thing, and it took them an external playtest for Bioshock before understanding that their development team was the sole number of people in the universe who thought that people wanted to play System Shock 2 But Underwater.

It's not my only thing I'm wary about the game (the whole thing about needing different outfits for different weathers is in the same "don't know specifics but I figure it'd eventually annoy me, so gently caress it" category), but man, I just don't like lugging around different weapons in games.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah, but the folks behind System Shock 2 thought the same thing, and it took them an external playtest for Bioshock before understanding that their development team was the sole number of people in the universe who thought that people wanted to play System Shock 2 But Underwater.

It's not my only thing I'm wary about the game (the whole thing about needing different outfits for different weathers is in the same "don't know specifics but I figure it'd eventually annoy me, so gently caress it" category), but man, I just don't like lugging around different weapons in games.

Maybe you should try playing it before worrying needlessly about it because you sound kinda dumb when you say things like "needing different outfits for different weathers", the game has like six different ways to deal with that stuff.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

A lot of that stuff annoys me too in its implementation. I've said before, dealing with weather and equipment just saps the fun out of the game for me, and getting around those issues generally just feels like it results in other types of busywork or finding out things elsewhere that the game never told me. Slap a solid progression of actual dungeons on it next time around and I'm fine dealing with the mechanics, otherwise I have no real interest in going back.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

The irony of breath of the wild is mostly that if the shrines and beasts were more visually interesting, they cut down the number of shrines by about 25% by removing all the really boring low effort ones, and actually gave you a new tool in every divine beast that expanded your options, like a ignite glyph, and a hookshot and so on, it would probably improve the game significantly.

The shrines don't even need to be visually distinct for every single one, just have a look based on the area and that would make them more interesting than the uniform brown and blue we got.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

food court bailiff posted:

Maybe you should try playing it before worrying needlessly about it because you sound kinda dumb when you say things like "needing different outfits for different weathers", the game has like six different ways to deal with that stuff.

Not to be a dink, but I'm not putting money down on a game that I think will annoy me just to try and see if a mechanic I know I don't like anywhere is a mechanic I don't like in this one..

It's just not for me, and I'm OK with that.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I liked having all abilities (non upgraded) given right at the beginning. Giving new tools in dungeons would have either 1) destroy the open world as you now need hook shot to get to this area or 2) each dungeon is the only place were that tool is useful (outside of adding another solution to a multiple solution puzzle)

Edit: I wish the game would allow me to mass make food/potions

World Famous W has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Jun 6, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Necrothatcher posted:

We live in an era of deeply conservative game development from major publishers. It's nice to see a company - especially Nintendo - try to move away from rote game design and try new things. You've got like 20 of those games you want - it was way past time for a change.

Try new things such as an open world game

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Void bastards is a very good game with very good sound, but its combat music is way too sensitive. it seems to trigger if basically any enemy on the whole map gets in a fight with anything on your side or takes damage by walking into a hazard. There are a lot of hazards on later ships and random modifiers that put even more hazards on the ship, ally an enemy type with you, ally the security robots with you, etc so on most ships the combat music is either running nonstop or constantly starting and stopping regardless of what you’re doing yourself.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

There is also the anxiety trait, which turns the combat music on at random.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Samuringa posted:

Try new things such as an open world game

They.. did?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The point is (I presume) that about half of the AAA games are open world already.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Judge Tesla posted:

Not if you finish the trials of the sword, it lasts forever then iirc.

I am not about to buy DLC for a game that I wasn't that into.

I loved Horizon Zero Dawn and didn't buy the DLC

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Len posted:

I am not about to buy DLC for a game that I wasn't that into.

I loved Horizon Zero Dawn and didn't buy the DLC

HZD actually has worthwhile dlc though, you can run around Yellowstone and check out stuff like the visitor museum and entrance arch, the locations are a blast :D

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I personally found myself enjoying BoTW the most when I just smoked a fat bowl, chose some random interesting piece of geography on the map and then went to check it out.

Obviously this won’t work for everyone, but I found it to be a really nice chill out game because the combat was a complete joke once you know how to backflip.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm closing in on the end of Marc Ecko's Getting Up, just got to the School Rooftop after escaping the arson at the Art School. It's overall pretty fun, but it's starting to show a few issues, like at one point in an interior level I fell through the floor and had to restart the level, and tagging the helicopter on the CCK Rooftop is a weird crapshoot because every other tag defaults you to the appropriate tool, but the helicopter, maybe due to the odd shape, doesn't work so well, so you have to manually select the tool. The tools aren't named in the menu either so I had to get lucky.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I went in completely blind and found Horizon: Zero Dawn to be a boring, plodding game where every single video gamey element about its design jumped out at me. I really didn't like the physics of the game, it didn't feel like I was actually in a world and interacting with it so much as sliding around on top of it. Plus the combat was just... floaty and nothing special in any way. Just felt like yet another game where I'm running around, talking to questgivers, doing their quests, and running back to them. I spent the whole time wondering I wasn't just playing Witcher 3, where the quests are interesting, at least. I'm also really sick of the boring gruff dad archetype in games but I give HZD some credit for making the gruff dad someone other than the protagonist (Witcher 3 really failed this test).

On the other hand, I went into Breath of the Wild completely blind and I was blown away by how good it was. Just being able to climb around literally anywhere and come up with any solution to any puzzle felt awesome. Like, the sliding ball shrines are a pain sometimes but it's also great to get lucky and knock the ball into the goal by just smacking it around. I also don't really get the complaints about the open world being "empty". There's like, the Hyrule Field area, which is a big field, but there's also a shitload of other stuff pretty densely packed together. The world felt way more meticulously designed and looked way more beautiful in BOTW than 99% of open world games I've played. Going back to Horizon: Zero Dawn's "run to the big yellow things to climb up at this designated climbing spot" just made everything feel so artificial.

Like yeah, it needed more dungeons and the dungeons it had should have been better; there was a severe overreliance on shrines, and not enough different types of them to make up for it; there were few memorable sidequests in this game besides Tarrey Town and the Koholint Island event; and for god's sake they should have (a) not made it so drat difficult to get the motorbike and (b) given the motorbike enough power to ramp off of one of the big spikes near Hyrule Castle. But BOTW was still a drat good game, and I'm sure a lot of the drawbacks owe to the time spent making the open world.

Skyward Sword was an atrocity though.

Casey Finnigan has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Jun 7, 2019

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Goofus Hzd had the problem that pretty much all big games have that it was so in love with its own narrative and took forever to get going because we HAVE to show Aloy's entire life from conception to preteendom and it was so boring
Meanwhile Gallant botw had Link waking up having some short words thrown at him and boom you're running around getting your toolset and learning the game mechanics intuitively and off you go

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

What that piece of writing advice? "Start the story as late as possible". It's really something I wished more games did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Calaveron posted:

Goofus Hzd had the problem that pretty much all big games have that it was so in love with its own narrative and took forever to get going because we HAVE to show Aloy's entire life from conception to preteendom and it was so boring
Meanwhile Gallant botw had Link waking up having some short words thrown at him and boom you're running around getting your toolset and learning the game mechanics intuitively and off you go

Intuitively which is why so many players don't know how to do things like parry

The rest is pretty on point though. Although I'm still more likely to replay HZD than BotW. But everyone likes different things and that's okay