Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Diesels can be neat but the whole VW Dieselgate thing really destroyed the market for them in the USA. Most of the "fixes" to bring them into compliance make them terrible which is the word I get from a close friend that is a tech at the local Audi dealership. All the stuff they had to put on them just ruined an otherwise excellent running machine. If you buy one and gut it/tune then they are great again but not everyone is able to do that or wants to do it.

Edit: What a page snipe. Pallet cleanser of cars people should buy instead of an overpriced wagon

Taken two weeks ago of a canyon drive. The i3 in the back is also a cooler car than an overpriced wagon.

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Diesel just never caught on in the states for passenger vehicles due to a comical history of diesel gently caress ups tainting the reputation. Outside of niche fanboys nobody shed a tear when diesel cars disappeared. Makes no sense to spend the big bucks federalizing those niche models. It's like manual transmissions but even niche-er.

Diesels will die in Europe as stricter and stricter emissions regulations take effect. The roadmap is already in place. The only way they pass currently are Rube-Goldberg-esque filtration and urea injection systems, which the second, third, or fourth owner is definitely not maintaining out of warranty. And without those systems functioning they are sooty, stinky messes. Petrol won't be terribly far behind, but diesel will be the first casualty.

Regardless, I've never heard that BMW diesels are known for being highly reliable.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 20, 2020

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

The M3 E9x comes with additional pedestrian protection in the form of the V8-reinforced hood bulge

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

tired: BMWs are a symbol of capitalist oppression and conspicuous consumption

wired: BMWs are the humane decapitation tool of the new revolution

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

inspired: BMWs will solve overpopulation, allowing nature to take back what is hers.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

All being well I should be collecting tomorrow. I’m losing my mind

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
how are you going to bring the car to :911:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I received a cool and not at all depressing message from a director in Michigan that I will no longer be considered due to “increasing difficulty with sponsored Consultants” which I think means the big smart boy has hosed my life. So I’ll just go bankrupt here and drive my car into the sea at 200mph

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Only if you miss the barrier

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

that sucks, didn't happen to be a company that is supposedly making some trucks that rhymes with "oblivion" did it?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that sucks, didn't happen to be a company that is supposedly making some trucks that rhymes with "oblivion" did it?

It did!

I was quite excited so this is a bummer as every studio here is hosed for the foreseeable

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

It did!

I was quite excited so this is a bummer as every studio here is hosed for the foreseeable

ah that sucks man, condolences... hopefully things will uh maybe at some point get unfucked. we could have been neighbors! but i'm moving soon

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bape Culture posted:

I received a cool and not at all depressing message from a director in Michigan that I will no longer be considered due to “increasing difficulty with sponsored Consultants” which I think means the big smart boy has hosed my life. So I’ll just go bankrupt here and drive my car into the sea at 200mph

sorry about your trumping, friend. do burnout

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

angryrobots posted:

oh my god lmao

anyway my industry (aerospace) is hosed too, feels bad man

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

angryrobots posted:

how did I miss this loooool

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The dealership loaned me an X1 while they try to fix the rotten vacuum system on my E46. I was actually surprised how cheap it feels compared to a 20-year old entry level model, though the ride was as neutral as expected. I've driven worse cars, but the awfulness is at least a little bit of excitement.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

angryrobots posted:

Lmao ffs

I missed this too! Haha

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mr. Apollo posted:

An E30 M3 with 8,000 miles is already at $120K with 8 days left.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-bmw-m3-99/

It went for $250,000.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

It went for $250,000.

Willing to sell my E28 535is for $20k, should be a steal in this environment right???

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I love the amount of people that can't seem to fathom how that's just couch cushion money for the person that bought it.

e:

Anyone want a cheap M3CS for track duty?

fknlo fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 22, 2020

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

*Wangan Midnight Theme plays*

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
That looks great. We need clips with audio though.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Bape Culture posted:

Holy poo poo that's beautiful

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Bape Culture posted:

I've been following the progress on your and the shops instagram, good to see it back in your hands. When's the first track day?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

anyway my industry (aerospace) is hosed too, feels bad man

I just got my own office today (because they let go the only other buyer left at my company)

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Well 3 months after buying my CPO car I got an email telling me it needed an oil change, spark plugs and micro filter. Was not expecting a $600 repair bill 90 days into ownership.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Well 3 months after buying my CPO car I got an email telling me it needed an oil change, spark plugs and micro filter. Was not expecting a $600 repair bill 90 days into ownership.

That is like $180 in parts, time to break out the socket kit

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Did BMW end free maintenance, or is your car out of the warranty period?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think they killed transferable free maintenance years ago.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Do the new turbo motors eat spark plugs? I assume a CPO is like 3 years/30k miles. My M54 calls for 100k mile interval on plugs.

Also lol dealer service prices.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Guinness posted:

Do the new turbo motors eat spark plugs? I assume a CPO is like 3 years/30k miles. My M54 calls for 100k mile interval on plugs.

Also lol dealer service prices.

Sparks plugs are a good starting point when dealing with mis-fires on N54. Cannot recall the replacement interval. Heck, the S65 benefits from new plugs every 25k miles or less maybe?!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
S55 spark plug interval is 30k miles.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
N54 / N55 spark plug interval is 45k. The non turbo N52 was 100k. And they don't use the same thin wall socket, either, so now I have both!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Huh, the S62 is 60k miles.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I just put new ones in the S62 but it ran fine before, I was doing valve cover gaskets and figured I might as well. The old ones didn’t look especially crusty, I could pull the PO’s records and see when they were done last but :effort:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That's basically what happened with me only I have no service records so figured I should do them to be sure. The plugs looked OK when pulled but certainly not real new.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've been following the progress on your and the shops instagram, good to see it back in your hands. When's the first track day?

Tuesday!

Also

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

Tuesday!

Also

Brakes? Where you’re going you don’t need brakes.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Bape Culture posted:

Tuesday!

Also

Put on all the brakes you want. Still gonna bin it into a wall please don’t I like this car a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

Tuesday!

Also

What a stud!