Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?
http://www.thebitbag.com/persona-5-...features/151133

quote:

Persona 5 Gameplay: Translated Director Interview Reveals Optional Bank Robberies, Easy-To-Use Interface, And More New Features

just to be clear, is "optional bank robberies" actually a valid interpretation of what was said in the interview or a stupid misunderstanding of the idea that the characters will face moral dilemmas as part of the storyline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Oh poo poo

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Famitsu scans.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
nerd girl seems like and alright character I GUESS but every other girl is like multiple levels above her so really she is still in Relative Garbage Tier (RGT)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I wish the reflection of my inner self was a sweet hog.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Persona design for this game is still top-notch but I don't think any of these new ones beat Captain Kidd yet. I almost hope nobody evolves their personas because the ones they've got are already so good! (Except maybe the UFO. But it's pretty alright for a Navigator I suppose)

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
UFO is literally best part about futaba

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I guess we know who the party's tank is.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

This scan is missing from that gallery:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Cop Lady!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MotU posted:

UFO is literally best part about futaba

If we're going by design then it's actually the high-tech goggles and the sci-fi-esque spy suit she wears for the heists.

Have I mentioned that it's drat cool each character has an outfit that takes inspiration from different archetypes of thieves and criminals? Because it's really goddamn cool.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like that the scale on Persona has increased by a country mile. Like if they dealt away with Persona switching in this game for these Persona to stay then I'd be all for it, but that's not happening.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm still really upset that Arsene will probably become useless half a dungeon in even though he's got a great design and a history and aesthetic that is pretty much perfect for the game. :(

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm still really upset that Arsene will probably become useless half a dungeon in even though he's got a great design and a history and aesthetic that is pretty much perfect for the game. :(
Hey as long as he has Rakunda or something then his fusions will be a mainstay in my team just like Izanagi.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Fly man is for sure Gluttony as that has always been Beelzebub's territory. Gluttony does not even need to be related to food, just taking more then you should.

However Kamoshida is actually stated to be the school's gym teacher and the first level is called Kamoshida's palace. (There is also belief that he is stalking Anne.)

Flyman is in the bank/church. That's Avarice. The Gluttony boss is both a glutton for fine food, But he's also a lustful glutton since apparently he's been blackmailing Anne.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

Hey as long as he has Rakunda or something then his fusions will be a mainstay in my team just like Izanagi.

It won't be the same unless all the fusions have his sweet hat as well.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I've got a feeling Makoto's anger will involve her "hilariously" beating up the male party members for ridiculously trivial reasons.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kay Kessler posted:

I've got a feeling Makoto's anger will involve her "hilariously" beating up the male party members for ridiculously trivial reasons.

I don't think so because Morgana's mostly been in charge of the slapstick so far and outside of Skull I don't think any of the dudes are the type to really get on Queen's nerves.

Edit: And besides, I don't think what's been given about her character really suggests she shows her anger often outside of heisting and poo poo. And so far it's mostly been shown to be righteous anger directed at demons and terrible adults. I think it's a bit of stretch to assume "Queen has hidden anger, so she will probably beat up her buddies".

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 11, 2016

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
hypothetical question

if I was a filthy casual and I've only beaten persona 4 and wanted to experience the magic of good dungeon design before persona 5 releases, which smt game do I play?

also what makes good dungeon design actually good and not just irritating bullshit?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'd let Makoto beat me up

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Charlie Bobson posted:

hypothetical question

if I was a filthy casual and I've only beaten persona 4 and wanted to experience the magic of good dungeon design before persona 5 releases, which smt game do I play?

also what makes good dungeon design actually good and not just irritating bullshit?

Whether it's fun and interesting or not.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Cake Attack posted:

Who said you'd have any say in the matter?

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Good Dungeon Design:
-Don't have a part where you have to walk through a bunch of poison. Looking at you SMT4.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Charlie Bobson posted:

hypothetical question

Nocturne and 4 although tbh even nocturne I'm not a fan of because of their size combined with random encounters.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Kay Kessler posted:

I actually don't think it will, for reasons I pointed out in my big dumb "Queen is Nanako" theory post: so far it appears that the game is going to be selling Makoto's violent tendencies very straight. Everything in the trailer involved legitimate anger and actual bone-crunching violence - her attack animations might be the most legitimately brutal we've ever seen out of a Persona protagonist (allowing for the fact that Persona 2's limited technology put certain restrictions on that cast). I actually suspect she's going to be played as a general straight-man to the antics of Ryuji, Anne and Sakura (and to a lesser degree, even Yusuke and Haru) and there might be the general threat of her getting angry at everyone (with commentary about how she'd actually probably beat them silly). And what Polygon said in general - her anger isn't really directed toward her teammates usually (but I'd bet her social link or equivalent will deal in part with helping her with her suppressed anger issues).

The trailers and whatnot do make me think that, despite being recognizably "modern Persona", the game will strike a somewhat more serious tone than previous installments and tomfoolery like that would be out of sync. And P5 doesn't seem to have the staff disjointing problems that SMT4 had, so...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

Same

Charlie Bobson posted:

hypothetical question

Nocturne and SMTIV have decent dungeon design and does Raidou 2. Strange Journey is like the ur example of bad dungeon design due to some boring rear end looking dungeons and the insane number of gimmicks and enemy encounters only matched by end game dungeons in DDS.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Raidou 2 is like the unsung hero of the Mega Ten series. That game is fun.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Raidou 2 is one of the best games Atlus has made. It also used the first game's intro for its final boss theme and it's so loving good!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXkvn2ctcm4

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 11, 2016

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Is it super important I play Raidou 1 first or is it cool to go straight to 2?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Charlie Bobson posted:

Is it super important I play Raidou 1 first or is it cool to go straight to 2?
The latter. I still need to play my PSN copy of Raidou 1.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd honestly say today should play Raidou 1 just to get acquainted with the setting, characters, and how weird it all is, but yeah you can just jump to 2.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Stuff I noticed from the interview:

- If you don't steal Kamoshida's heart in time you get expelled
- You have to steal Futaba's heart
- Not all missions are about stealing peoples' hearts, since one of them says to investigate a treasure hint

Also, just watch an LP of Raidou 1. That's what I did and I have no regrets. There should be a good one on the LP Archive.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The best dungeon design in the franchise are Devil Survivor and Devil Survivor 2.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

Baal posted:

Raidou 2 is one of the best games Atlus has made. It also used the first game's intro for its final boss theme and it's so loving good!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXkvn2ctcm4

the whole songs awesome but holy gently caress around the the one minute mark

the raidou games sound like the ones to play

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Raidou 1 is worth playing imo, because at one point Raidou gets into a naked fight with a bunch of yakuza in the bath house.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Raidou 2 is like peak meguro on the soundtrack

Strange Quark posted:

Raidou 1 is worth playing imo, because at one point Raidou gets into a naked fight with a bunch of yakuza in the bath house.

Also the final boss being the best thing Kaneko's ever designed

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

- You have to steal Futaba's heart

I'm okay with this, she's cute.

Also the Raidou games loving Own and are Amazing. Yes

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
The Raidou games are really good and I'm disappointed that PS2 classics don't exist on PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012