Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah, that's why i said it. I wonder if that's why they got the license in the first place

Actually, Call of Cthulhu is licensed to Focus, and originally they gave Frogwares access to the license and this was going to be an official CoC game. But then Focus took the license away and gave it to Cyanide so that's why this is a Lovecraft-THEMED game and not an actual Lovecraft game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Trick Question posted:

I'm roughly four hours into the game, and I feel basically the same as Xaris. It's not bad, but it feels like a lot of ideas that were dropped from Guac 1 remade into their own game. There's a lot to like about it - the item collection animations are fantastic and feel good every time, the additions to the chicken combat are fun to use, some of the jokes are good - but the combat system feels exactly like the first game's, 90% of the moves you get are just the same moves from the first game, and the pacing is worse than the first game.

It's kind of heartbreaking, because I loved the first game for the atmosphere and art style and music and gameplay, and this game just doesn't really improve upon or iterate on it in any meaningful way. Unless it's super late game, I think they also got rid of intenso mode, which sucks. I'm still going to finish it, and I'd recommend it if it were ten dollars cheaper - as I said, it's not bad - it just feels like a retread.
:agreed:. It's not bad is like the best descriptor I can say about it, because it's really not bad. But also probably not worth the time to play if you don't have it, and not for price.

Like yeah there's some things that could be patched, like if they added in a Hard Mode (aka Normal Mode for any other game because this games balance feels like literal Easiest Mode in a normal game), that would certainly help, but I think there's fundamental issues with the cohesiveness of the world and pacing and various others that it kind of drops the ball on.

I will say the art and aesthetic is good; although, the music doesn't seem as good as Guac 1 but still pretty decent. I always do appreciate good art and aesthetic.

Wait for the inevitable Humble Bundle unlock imo.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

As this thread's resident Hollow Knight recommender, I just have to say the new free DLC is good.

As well as all the other new poo poo, there's a room which allows you to refight literally any boss in the game complete with any alternate forms they may have, along with additional difficulties for each of them.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Xaris posted:

So.. Guacamelee 2. It's honestly not very good. This is like the month of mediocre and middling metroidvanias: Chasm, Deaths Gambit, and now Guacamelee 2. And I don't even think its necessary because the bar has been set to high by the likes of Hollow Knight, but this game is really just not very good. The first game was demanding, responsive, and tight. This feels like a mess because the combat is just mash X/powers, and absolutely no loving challenge at all (and there's no difficulty setting). Like I never even lost a single fight even dicking around and barely even get hit because it's so trivial and enemies don't do much, and if trhey do they do no damage. So the combat is totally trash, and sometimes feels unresponsive but not that it matters.

Then there's the story/meat to the world which feels very souless and meandering, there's some cute conversations and references but it's all kind of messy and.. disconnected? feeling. I can't quite describe it but the world and story in this is absolutely not grabbing me at all and feels quite meh. So that's not a good sign.

And platforming is somewhat even more obnoxious as before with still downside of not being that responsive and sometimes get locked into using your power to move and it goes in the wrong direction which is frustrating. It has the very demanding thing of "ok jump, use uppercut to further boost, quickly swap to death world and now hang on the wall, jump off and 50 milliseconds later make sure to hit swap back to life world to make another wall appear, and do it again, and now do this and switch to chicken real fast", so maybe I'm just getting feeble but it's a constant mess of pressing 6 different buttons on your controller in rapid and split-second succession. That said, there's a lot of very clever things and just breezing through the world absolutely nailing that jump-realmswap-jump-dash feels pretty good but then you get stuck into an absolutely frustrating uber-platforming sidearea and it loving sucks. And with limited travel options, you can get sometimes stuck with no way out except to complete that platforming.

Overall, I'd say try it out, but it's a much disappointment compared to Guac 1 (which had a lot of flaws too) and I don't think I'd recommend it for the price. On sale for $5-10? Yeah sure but not $20.

I don't know what you're talking about. Unless you have framepacing issues, the game is just as responsive and tight as the first game. Combat seems a little bit easier, but overall, this is exactly how the first game was - story, world building, and with the hard as gently caress challenges that requires a dozen accurate button presses.

Also you can unlock hard mode for combat with a cheat code, just as with the first game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

Lovecraft is public domain.
oh i thought sinking city was itself an IP they licensed

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Anyone feel up to selling me for or against Elex? I saw it's in the weekend sale. The Giant Bomb quick look had me curious, but cautious. I'm not the kind of person to put 300 hours into Skyrim, but I am the kind of person that still put in 30 hours into it. I also don't have a problem playing that style of game non-optimally, I also put a lot of time into Skyrim on Switch, and Fallout 4 in VR.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I listened to the thread and bought Yakuza 0 tonight. Definitely digging it but the screen gets very choppy during any open world portion where I'm walking on the street. I defaulted to high settings and tried a little customization to tweak but no luck. The FPS reader stays pegged to > 100 fps.

16GB ram
i5-3570k
GTX 1080

So shouldn't be hardware limited I don't think. Any ideas?

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

Anyone feel up to selling me for or against Elex? I saw it's in the weekend sale. The Giant Bomb quick look had me curious, but cautious. I'm not the kind of person to put 300 hours into Skyrim, but I am the kind of person that still put in 30 hours into it. I also don't have a problem playing that style of game non-optimally, I also put a lot of time into Skyrim on Switch, and Fallout 4 in VR.

it's janky as gently caress & you'd better love that jank or else you'll probably not enjoy yourself

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Beat Vanquish. I didn't like it as much as I'd hoped. :(

And boy, am I glad games don't look like it anymore, because the jokes about shooters from that era are true: grey and washed-out.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I listened to the thread and bought Yakuza 0 tonight. Definitely digging it but the screen gets very choppy during any open world portion where I'm walking on the street. I defaulted to high settings and tried a little customization to tweak but no luck. The FPS reader stays pegged to > 100 fps.

16GB ram
i5-3570k
GTX 1080

So shouldn't be hardware limited I don't think. Any ideas?
https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Yakuza_0

You can also turn on a save anywhere feature. Just don't ever save during action segments and always make multiple saves.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Chainclaw posted:

If you have played other Pirahna Bytes games then Elex is for you, and if not, it is not.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Ciaphas posted:

Also one of these days I'll give Hollow Knight another chance because damnit I refuse to believe I could dislike an exploration platformer with so much critical acclaim, yer Metroids are among my favorite games ever, but HK just refused to gel for me the first time I tried.

Well, as somebody who just finished it for the first time, one thing that doesn't get mentioned often is that it takes awhile to really get going, where you're having to experiment with badge loadouts and you get your double jump and special attacks and all that. It probably takes too long gating off stuff.

Secondly, Hollow Knight doesn't do too much in terms of invention or gimmicks. It's a very solid 2d exploration game, but it refines more than innovates.

It's a very good game, but at the same time it felt overhyped to me. There's a lot to recommend it for, and I left it feeling satisfied, but never felt truly blown away.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Original Yakuza 1 Majima was a straight up unhinged psycho that beat one his own goons to death for laughing at him getting beaned by a pitching machine for example, so yeah its accurate to original Majima.
For NOT laughing at him :eng101:

I hope this port train keeps rolling and they decide to translate the samurai Yakuza games as well.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Scalding Coffee posted:

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Yakuza_0

You can also turn on a save anywhere feature. Just don't ever save during action segments and always make multiple saves.

I applied all 6 patches in the LodMod and did the audio tweak but no dice. Weird.

Edit: I also tried going to 24 fps and low graphics settings and the issue persists so it's not that.

Double Edit: It's redlining both CPU and GPU.

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 24, 2018

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

corn in the bible posted:

yeah like, it seems like horror except there's not much spookiness going on and the main guy seems so matter of fact, like he's fighting monsters and researching a ritual killer and he's like ho hum, whatever, i'm a cop

he's like horror cole phelps

Phelps. Badge six six six.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Did they get sick of Holmes?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I applied all 6 patches in the LodMod and did the audio tweak but no dice. Weird.

Edit: I also tried going to 24 fps and low graphics settings and the issue persists so it's not that.

Did you double check the changes to make sure they stuck? It reset on me a few times. Did you set the maxfps to 60 in graphics? Set its Process Priority to High?

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 24, 2018

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Too Shy Guy posted:

<Rage Review>

Nice write-up. The only thing you didn't mention is that the game ending redefines the word 'disappointing'. Other than that, it was a good game, and I spent way too much time doing perfect runs of the zombie-like shoot-em-up course.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Ambaire posted:

Nice write-up. The only thing you didn't mention is that the game ending redefines the word 'disappointing'. Other than that, it was a good game, and I spent way too much time doing perfect runs of the zombie-like shoot-em-up course.

Yeah, the ending definitely felt like "and then the budget ran out", particularly with fact that the last community feels a fair deal slimmer than the previous ones.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
A quick PSA:

:black101: For Honor - Starter Edition is free to keep, if you grab it this weekend.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Reviews on that arent looking great

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
For Honor's concurrent players went from 8,000 to 216,000 overnight because of it which is pretty funny.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Didn't they already do that during E3 but just on Uplay? I think I got that then and never played it. As is tradition.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bentacos posted:

Didn't they already do that during E3 but just on Uplay? I think I got that then and never played it. As is tradition.

Yeah I got it free on Uplay and haven't played it, and now I have it free on Steam as well and still haven't played it v:shobon:v

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

:same:

And I will never play it.

When is M&B 2 coming out.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_I1GrvzxQQ

A Hat In Time DLC coming :woop:

Comes with an additional chapter, hardmode, and co-op. Also, free to download on launch day.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Fart of Presto posted:

A quick PSA:

:black101: For Honor - Starter Edition is free to keep, if you grab it this weekend.

So what is the catch of this Starter Edition? Because Rainbow Six: Siege (also Ubisoft) has one and it raises the in-game price for unlocking characters, so they cost way more than other editions (it's like some sort of lovely free-to-play model for a game that still costs money).

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think the catch is it’s a two year old game whose pc population cratered a month after launch and never really crept out of the 4 digit range

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Salvor_Hardin posted:

This was happening to me as well where I could get 100+ fps but was getting stuttering. When you start the game try setting its process priority to high in the task manager. Kinda sucks you have to do it every time (or use a utility that remembers things like this) but it fixed the stuttering for me.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
Is La-Mulana 2 worth picking up? I haven't heard anything since it came out.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
No one wants to remember life before smart devices, or life without La Maluna fully described in a guide.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Zathril posted:

Is La-Mulana 2 worth picking up? I haven't heard anything since it came out.

I mean its a pretty niche game. Did you play the first one? LM2 is very much a "more of the same" style sequel which is to say that it owns but its maybe not quite as good as LM1. Idk I like certain things about 2 more than 1 and vice versa but if you haven't played LM1 yet I'd start there.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

For Honor is a bad game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ZearothK posted:

:same:

And I will never play it.

When is M&B 2 coming out.

M&B 2 will never come out and will thus never be disappointing.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

For Honor is pretty fun, basically a medieval fighting game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I had a lot of fun with For Honor before the underlying balance issues became glaringly obvious and Ubisoft has been diligent in adding cool new modes and fighters to the game even as the playerbase has dwindled. Despite outward appearances it's very much a PvP-oriented fighting game, with a fairly complex and technical 1v1 mode and an utter clusterfuck of gear-based 4v4 modes.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i should also clarify that it was specifically the pc playerbase that completely vanished overnight. i think it did/is doing pretty well for itself on consoles. kind of like the call of duty series lately

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

imho 1v1 is significantly harder to break into on PC because it's possible to parry light attacks at 60fps and experienced players will punish you for spam.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xaris posted:

So.. Guacamelee 2. It's honestly not very good. This is like the month of mediocre and middling metroidvanias: Chasm, Deaths Gambit, and now Guacamelee 2. And I don't even think its necessary because the bar has been set to high by the likes of Hollow Knight, but this game is really just not very good. The first game was demanding, responsive, and tight. This feels like a mess because the combat is just mash X/powers, and absolutely no loving challenge at all (and there's no difficulty setting). Like I never even lost a single fight even dicking around and barely even get hit because it's so trivial and enemies don't do much, and if trhey do they do no damage. So the combat is totally trash, and sometimes feels unresponsive but not that it matters.

I haven't gotten too far in yet but so far the combat is nearly identical. It was pretty easy in 1 as well.

quote:

Also you can unlock hard mode for combat with a cheat code, just as with the first game.

Wait what? There was a secret hard mode? What's it do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Ambaire posted:

It's been awhile since I got to the end of RAGE but what they pass off for an ending wasn't hugely crushing. I think part of that was that I was primed for disappointment by its reputation, but also that the story doesn't really build towards any great expectations. One thing that stands out to me in retrospect is that there's no central villain, just the monolithic Authority that you are pressed into opposing. The game never presents you with an ultimate antagonist to battle, so it's not surprising that you don't get a big climactic battle and instead just flip a switch that the bad guys don't want flipped.

In other news, since I've been playing a shitload of Graveyard Keeper I decided to go back and review Stardew Valley for today. I'm linking it because it's probably one of the least useful reviews I've ever done... I can't imagine there are still any holdouts to convince 2+ years after the fact. But it's there to read if you want to feel warm and fuzzy about everyone's favorite farming sim.