Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The Perfect Element posted:

My daughter is just starting to graduate from CBeebies to CBBC which means I'm now catching some Horrible Histories. It's legit hilarious! I knew it had a reputation and gave them the platform to make Ghosts, but I'm surprised at how often I'm laughing at it (to the confusion of my 4 year old, who doesn't understand much of it at all).

It's so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The songs in horrible histories rule so much, they went from like 'haha heres a silly version of stayin' alive about aztec human sacrifice' to 'why shouldn't this song about charles darwin be an absoulute banger style parody of changes era david bowie?'

Most effective educational songs ever they're all still in there.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Horrible Histories is incredible and I get that Charles II Eminem parody stuck in my brain all the time.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

J33uk posted:

I CONSUMED those books as a kid. When my niece gets a bit older I'll be introducing her to the show for sure.

Yeah I loved the books too, even went to a talk with the author at Waterstones, (do they even do this any more?) I'd be curious how much of that stuff is debunked now.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBK-Qt8edxM

Charles Dickens in the style of Morrissey was my favourite

Is that Al Murray on drums?

Seksiness
Aug 24, 2006
I screwed your grandma and all I got was this lousy custom title... and herpes
If you are a HH fan I would highly recommend the 'You're Dead to Me' podcast. Greg Jenner from Ghosts/HH invites a comedian and a academic and they chat about a certain historical period or subject. It's really funny and actually quite informative. If you are a history nerd you will probably enjoy them all but if not you can easily just dip into the subjects that interest you and probably learn something and be entertained.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

reality_groove posted:

Celebrity Bake Off started on Sunday on C4. Alison Hammond has been announced as the replacement for the departing Matt Lucas.

I find her kinda annoying but I do feel she's a MUCH better fit than Lucas
I wonder how she'll be?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

eleven extra elephants posted:

Yeah I loved the books too, even went to a talk with the author at Waterstones, (do they even do this any more?) I'd be curious how much of that stuff is debunked now.

Was randomly thinking this the other day as well after watching this YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wif1EAgEQKI

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Taear posted:

I find her kinda annoying but I do feel she's a MUCH better fit than Lucas
I wonder how she'll be?
I was hoping it would be the lady off Pottery Throwdown so that would get a decent presenter back.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

cloudchamber posted:

Was randomly thinking this the other day as well after watching this YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wif1EAgEQKI

Very interesting video! And wonderful segue jnto nordVPN ad at the end!

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Joe Lycett has a late night live show starting on C4 in the Last Leg slot.

The BBC1 Great Expectations adaptation by Peaky Blinders' Steven Knight starring Olivia Coleman starts this weekend.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Shame Terry Deary turned out to be such a complete oval office.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Has anyone brothered to watch the Luther movie?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pablo Bluth posted:

No. I'll get it to at some point but the reviews weren't good so I didn't feel compelled.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I like that Netflix immediately changed the thumbnail to a face like the Annoying Orange.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Captain Mediocre posted:

Shame Terry Deary turned out to be such a complete oval office.

Out of the loop on this, what's he done? At least Martin Brown's illustrations are still ace

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Bogmonster posted:

Out of the loop on this, what's he done? At least Martin Brown's illustrations are still ace

I didn't look into it too much but Wikipedia says he's basically one of the only people on earth whos against libraries

In 2013, Deary spoke out against public libraries, saying that they "have been around too long", are "no longer relevant" and have "had their day," and derided the Public Lending Right remuneration to authors for library loans. He argued: "we've got this idea that we've got an entitlement to read books for free, at the expense of authors, publishers and council tax payers... We don't expect to go to a food library to be fed. The car industry would collapse if we went to car libraries for free use of Porsches... If I sold the book I'd get 30p per book. I get six grand, [when] I should be getting Ł180,000."

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

I like that Netflix immediately changed the thumbnail to a face like the Annoying Orange.

Doesn't Netflix change its thumbnails per user based on what it thinks you're more likely to click on?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

HopperUK posted:

Doesn't Netflix change its thumbnails per user based on what it thinks you're more likely to click on?

It really does. This is the image it gave me for Altered Carbon. Like drat, ok, fine.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The second season of Altered Carbon was such a turd.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Unfortunately so were the second and third books in the series, so the TV show didn't have much to go on.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

They should have just ignored the books and background plot, and gone with more debauched lives of the rich.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
They should stop altering carbon.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

I didn't look into it too much but Wikipedia says he's basically one of the only people on earth whos against libraries

In 2013, Deary spoke out against public libraries, saying that they "have been around too long", are "no longer relevant" and have "had their day," and derided the Public Lending Right remuneration to authors for library loans. He argued: "we've got this idea that we've got an entitlement to read books for free, at the expense of authors, publishers and council tax payers... We don't expect to go to a food library to be fed. The car industry would collapse if we went to car libraries for free use of Porsches... If I sold the book I'd get 30p per book. I get six grand, [when] I should be getting Ł180,000."

What a prick, shocking.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Ah shoot, the algorithm has me pegged as a guy who'll click on this dude

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

Ah shoot, the algorithm has me pegged as a guy who'll click on this dude

I thought that bit was actually quite cool creepy imagery, even if it didn't fit with anything else going on.

Watched Stewart Lee's new show Basic Lee last night. Was fantastic as always. He got really mad at someone on their phone and was about to stick it up his arse at one point.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m still mad at him for actually playing that guitar.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65108130

Paul O’Grady what a shock. :(

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Pablo Bluth posted:

I enjoyed it, but the last 10 minutes (or however long it is that the final part takes) was so lazily written it will amaze you. Just total nonsense.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Luther has always been silly. Is Lutherfilm even sillier, or just badly done?

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Mr. Squishy posted:

Luther has always been silly. Is Lutherfilm even sillier, or just badly done?

Bit of column A, bit of column B to be honest. I didn’t mind it, had similar thoughts to Gromit above.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yeah quite a surprise! I liked his work with dogs.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I loved him on Radio 2 and was pissed off when they booted him out

67 isn't a bad innings for a chain smoker imo :rip:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sad he's gone, he was always pretty outspoken about left wing politics (at least for someone who is on TV)

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I always liked him, in my head as a kid he already looked like an old man like twenty years ago so I'm surprised he was so young. I feel like he was ahead of his time, being a gay drag queen but also being allowed to present mainstream talk shows for so long.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Annabel Pee posted:

I always liked him, in my head as a kid he already looked like an old man like twenty years ago so I'm surprised he was so young.

The immense amounts of cigarettes will do that to you.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Paul O'Grady was loving great in lots of ways and it's a big loss

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Annabel Pee posted:

I always liked him, in my head as a kid he already looked like an old man like twenty years ago so I'm surprised he was so young. I feel like he was ahead of his time, being a gay drag queen but also being allowed to present mainstream talk shows for so long.

I mean, Dame Edna
There was a period where it was just a thing, it's only recently people on the right are extra mad about it

calhoun
Feb 8, 2004

I am the scary clown with the tearaway face
Saw this on my tv and thought it was weird (Mr. Bean is a clown who knows magic).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I was enjoying Attenboroughs' Wild Isles, with all that cracking footage of the wildlife of Britain, from sinister seal-hunting orcas to a bee riding a straw like a tiny witch on a broom, jolly good.

Then this week we got hit with Carnivorous Giant Leeches Gruesomely Devour Tiny Baby Toadlets Whole, complete with disgusting sound effects. It was great, you should all watch it, just not whilst eating dinner.