Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Mad Hamish posted:

How dare someone in a wheelchair or motor scooter be able to get onto the public transit system!

Have you ever boarded a train before? There are these things called "platforms".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't know the specifics of the route but from that rendering it looks fine. Is the stop spacing correct to maintain useful speeds? Does it have its own ROW the entire way? Does it always get priority at lights? If so it's probably going to be able to fall into the "fast tram" category and be good. But this is north america so it will probably cost as much as an elevated metro route anywhere else in the world because holy poo poo north america puts some of those russian olympic highways to shame when it comes to gross overspending to enrich politically connected contractors.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/l_stone/status/848578447823785985

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

... But this is north america so it will probably cost as much as an elevated metro route anywhere else in the world because holy poo poo north america puts some of those russian olympic highways to shame when it comes to gross overspending to enrich politically connected contractors.

Maybe if Bombardier had donated more than than $9240 to the BC Liberals this poo poo would have gotten approved a lot faster. Meanwhile there's like an entire page of BC ROAD BUILDERS & HEAVY CONSTRUCTION ASSOCIATION donations and the Libs can't wait to start construction on that big rear end new bridge. Come on transit vendors you gotta figure out how poo poo is done here in BC.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What's wrong with a low-floor LRT system? I think that's what's being proposed for the new LRT line in Calgary since interoperability with existing lines isn't necessary.

Not having to build expensive raised platforms seems like a good thing.

Idiots already drive their vehicles onto the LRT RoW in Calgary with the current system so it's not like you eliminate that problem by having a high-floor system.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

quote:

Violence breaks out as protesters clash in Nathan Phillips Square

Protesters with clashing ideals faced off in front of City Hall on Saturday afternoon, with what began as a peaceful anti-racism demonstration escalating to violence.

The rally started with dozens of anti-racism demonstrators standing in Toronto's Nathan Phillips Square, holding signs featuring phrases like, "Fear is the prison, love is the door," as part of a planned protest about sensitivity towards Muslims.

"In the last about month and a half, there has been a really alarming rise of alt-right groups, like the Soldiers of Odin and the Jewish Defense League, and others having a really visible presence at Toronto City Hall," protester Sarah Ali, from the Organizing Committee Against Islamophobia, told CBC Toronto after the rally.

Ali called it "frightening," noting a rise in attacks on Muslim communities in recent years.

"We are not going to tolerate Islamophobia, we're not going to tolerate white supremacy, and we're not going to tolerate fascism on the streets of Toronto," she said.

Roughly 40 police on scene

Around a dozen counter-protesters at the scene were clad in clothing emblazoned with Soldiers of Odin, the international anti-immigrant street patrol group that began in Finland, and carried signs reading "Justin Trudeau must go."

At one point, some people began chanting, "Nazi scum off our streets."

Fighting began among those gathered and one of the Soldiers of Odin protestors was punched in the face.

Around 40 police were on scene and, at one point, used their bicycles to separate the groups.

It's going to suck in a few years when people stop larping political group-violence and start doing the real thing.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
jewish defense league lmao

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

so proud to be canadian todya!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

I've been bombarded with conservative trash from the vancouver sun and province for 30 loving years. gently caress off. The demise of these two loving papers is the best thing to happen to vancouver

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It's amusing how much more you care about Canadian identity than anyone else who posts in this thread.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
i'm being perfectly consistent if you think about it you loving tard

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

It's going to suck in a few years when people stop larping political group-violence and start doing the real thing.

These Soldiers of Odin folks are a real sight apparently. They fall into 2 categories: a vast majority of them are meth headed, badly tattooed out of shape trailer trash and then a few big built looking dudes with cropped hair who I figure are probably the undercover cops keeping tabs on their crew.

It's a stark contrast, there's no middle ground.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Stop sugar coating white trash with trailer

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Awww you know I did it just for you CI :)

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

These Soldiers of Odin folks are a real sight apparently. They fall into 2 categories: a vast majority of them are meth headed, badly tattooed out of shape trailer trash and then a few big built looking dudes with cropped hair who I figure are probably the undercover cops keeping tabs on their crew.

It's a stark contrast, there's no middle ground.

I've been following them since their inception here in Vancouver, and this is pretty much it. Along with the the openly intimidating logo wearing "I'm a poorly undereducated white supremacist from Abbotsford and I also ride a Harley and need quite a bit of dental work", their fat slob dead-eyed "soldiers" "infiltrate" anti-racist gatherings in Fox hoodies, skate shoes and tribal neck tattoos.

Their facebook page is a hilarious mish-mash of stupidity and vague, ominous claims to clean up and patrol the streets, yet they assert in their mission statement that they do not do patrols. They promise to rid neighbourhoods they have never lived in from "queers" and "trannies" and addicts, oh and those evilly conspiring muslims as well.

They keep an eye on "moskes". You can send them a "massage". I cannot wait to punch one of these hateful simpletons in the throat.

Huggybear fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 3, 2017

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Haha I hope you video your noble act of retribution for great sjw justice points

As you get your incel face pummeled

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
http://www.hilltimes.com/2017/04/03/oleary-wont-commit-remaining-conservative-leader-without-majority-government/101717

‘This is balls to the wall,’ if he wins, O’Leary won’t commit to remaining Tory leader without a majority government

The whole thing is a laugh but the best is that O'Leary thinks he can win the leadership by just going to universities and snagging disgruntled Trudeau voters

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I don't think the liberals have sagged so much in public opinion that a CPC sweep is possible. In Ontario thats pretty much a given provided Hudak Brown doesn't say he's cutting 100k public servants out the gate before hitting queens park with a majority.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Risky Bisquick posted:

I don't think the liberals have sagged so much in public opinion that a CPC sweep is possible. In Ontario thats pretty much a given provided Hudak Brown doesn't say he's cutting 100k public servants out the gate before hitting queens park with a majority.

You can't convince me that wasn't a deliberate attempt to tank his own campaign.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Risky Bisquick posted:

I don't know man. As someone pointed out last week, the Ontario campaign will be happening with the backdrop of pot legalization (if he Fed Liberals keep their promise) so the OPC better have a good plan to implement it. Then remember that:

1) they don't have any plan to lower electricity rates other that PRIVATIZE PRIVATIZE PRIVATIZE and,

2) there will be overwhelming anti-Trump sentiment and a Democrat surge in the 2018 US midterm elections...

It's a bit early to be calling Ontario for the Conservatives imo. Right wing politics might be very out of vogue by then.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
As always Canada is like 3 years behind on the most popular world wide trends.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

DariusLikewise posted:

No way man Winnipeg is actually ahead of the curve. Check out what legit weirdo hippy freegans and cheap as gently caress 20 somethings here and three years later you've got kids from NYC doing the same thing because someone convinces them that living like a broke AF Winnipeg kid is cool.

poo poo apparently curling is becoming a thing in NYC now.

EDIT: I mean gently caress 'vintage bikes' meaning beat to hell old single speed conversions are all the rage everywhere now and talking to people here that's more a case of Winnipeg is full of these because they're cheap and easily replaced when stolen and you can fix them with parts you find on the side of the road.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

DariusLikewise posted:

For real though, if anyone wanted to really tank the OPC in the next election they could:

a) Join the party

b) Make a lot of noise about Marijuana Legalization is a Trudeau/Wynne plot to get us drugged up

c) Insist that the OPC refuse to legalize in Ontario because WAR ON DRUGS

I bet you could discourage 20% of their voters from even turning up if you did it properly.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I don't know man. As someone pointed out last week, the Ontario campaign will be happening with the backdrop of pot legalization (if he Fed Liberals keep their promise) so the OPC better have a good plan to implement it. Then remember that:

1) they don't have any plan to lower electricity rates other that PRIVATIZE PRIVATIZE PRIVATIZE and,

2) there will be overwhelming anti-Trump sentiment and a Democrat surge in the 2018 US midterm elections...

It's a bit early to be calling Ontario for the Conservatives imo. Right wing politics might be very out of vogue by then.

No party can fix our hydro system, read that out loud and say it with me, none. Wynne amortized the cost over a longer term and shuffled some costs around. Urban residential hydro rates are totally fine, but she parachuted in the rebates across the board which is frankly stupid unless you view the angle she is vote buying.

There will need to be a serious, serious scandal on the OPC side. Will it be based on TSX:WEED? I really doubt WEED will sink their party given everything they have going for them.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Risky Bisquick posted:

No party can fix our hydro system, read that out loud and say it with me, none. Wynne amortized the cost over a longer term and shuffled some costs around. Urban residential hydro rates are totally fine, but she parachuted in the rebates across the board which is frankly stupid unless you view the angle she is vote buying.

There will need to be a serious, serious scandal on the OPC side.

Well we could fix it by re-nationalizing it and ending this privatization nonsense but yeah I agree with you, there is no easy solution.

The problem is more that the Conservatives are counting on hydro anger to sweep them to power but don't have a solution to campaign on. They only have grievances. They don't even have a general talking point solution other than 'markets will drive prices down because competition' but we've been doing that for 20 years already and welp its not exactly working.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I don't see why the Conservatives can't campaign, and likely win, by claiming that the Liberals are so corrupt and incompetent that simply replacing them will improve hydro rates.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
We will let the hydro system "balance itself", no more Liberal party interference

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
If this is a change election the OPC win in a landslide. I just think it's a bit early to call it and they're still vulnerable in a few places.

I mean that Tony Clement meltdown on the radio a few weeks ago showed a very clear line of attack re: electricity.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The cliche is that governments defeat themselves and the primary task of the front-running opposition is to play it safe, help emphasize whatever negative feelings the public holds toward the government, and then default into power by running a competent but unspectacular campaign against the unpopular incumbent. There are rare occasions when you could argue that a politician like Justin Trudeau actually surges into the lead by adopting unusual positions and mobilizing new voters but that's far from the norm. If Brown is mostly ambiguous about what his party will do in office and just sticks to the right generic criticisms he has a very good shot at winning.

It's helpful to consider the larger context here Re: the Conservative and Liberals in Ontario. The Progressive Conservatives were the governing party of Ontario for many decades until they switched to a one-member-one-vote leadership system and ended up electing Mike Harris, a far-right backbencher MPP who hated and was hated by his own party's establishment. Harris would likely never have won the leadership under the older selection process but once the more conservative core membership of the party were given the chance to overrule the party mandarins it was likely inevitable that a Reagan/Thatcher style neocon was going to lead the party. The party was also so far back in the polls when Harris became leader that a lot of veteran MPPs chose not to run and this gave Harris a lot of freedom to select his own candidates and staffers, reshaping the party just ahead of his surprise victory in 95.

The Conservatives have been languishing on the far right of Ontario's acceptable political spectrum since then. It's reflected in the way party activists destroyed leader John Tory for being too moderate or the way Tim Hudak kept introducing campaign platforms that felt like they were designed to win the governorship of Arizona instead of the premiership of Ontario. If the Conservatives can just take a page from Harper's book and learn to soft-peddle the more hard right parts of their agenda rather than trying to campaign on them then I think they're well positioned to win this election and probably several elections thereafter.

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer
http://www.cknw.com/2017/04/01/new-poll-shows-b-c-greens-tied-for-first-on-vancouver-island/

The graph looks pretty odd given the huge change on only the last data point, so on top of taking polling with a grain of salt, this one seems pretty suspect to me. Regardless, I'll be interested to see how further polls place support here. Could this potentially energize the NDP supporters to get out if they think there's a real chance the Greens could win?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Xaranthius posted:

http://www.cknw.com/2017/04/01/new-poll-shows-b-c-greens-tied-for-first-on-vancouver-island/

The graph looks pretty odd given the huge change on only the last data point, so on top of taking polling with a grain of salt, this one seems pretty suspect to me. Regardless, I'll be interested to see how further polls place support here. Could this potentially energize the NDP supporters to get out if they think there's a real chance the Greens could win?

I know my friends in the local victoria NDP scene have been mobilizing big time, and every social media post is something anti-green now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Helsing posted:

The cliche is that governments defeat themselves and the primary task of the front-running opposition is to play it safe, help emphasize whatever negative feelings the public holds toward the government, and then default into power by running a competent but unspectacular campaign against the unpopular incumbent. There are rare occasions when you could argue that a politician like Justin Trudeau actually surges into the lead by adopting unusual positions and mobilizing new voters but that's far from the norm. If Brown is mostly ambiguous about what his party will do in office and just sticks to the right generic criticisms he has a very good shot at winning.

lol

https://twitter.com/dmrider/status/848958417872068609
Article

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I know my friends in the local victoria NDP scene have been mobilizing big time, and every social media post is something anti-green now.

One super smug fucklord NDP-obsessed hipster who I have mutual friends with on FB has been going all out over the last couple weeks with the anti-Green stuff. It's quite interesting to watch him progress.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The Green party is going around lying about NDP candidates. They are obviously more concerned about stopping us than the Liberals

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 3, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

THC posted:

The Green party is going around lying about NDP candidates. They are obviously more concerned about stopping us than the Liberals

Examples?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Ida Chong and Tony Joe organized a debate for the Chinese Community Association, didn't invite the NDP candidate, and then claimed she "refused" to debate

e: ok that was last election but still gently caress them. they do poo poo like that all the time

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 3, 2017

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

This is pop vote share via the UBC prediction market. Bottom graph is trading volume, big bump today from the poll posted earlier.

Clark is probably having a pretty good day today.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

David Rider is plagiarizing me. :colbert:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
what did the UBC ~prediction market~ predict 4 years ago? fuckin Dixslide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

THC posted:

Ida Chong and Tony Joe organized a debate for the Chinese Community Association, didn't invite the NDP candidate, and then claimed she "refused" to debate

e: ok that was last election but still gently caress them. they do poo poo like that all the time

You made a claim that it's currently happening so it's pretty reasonable for you to provide examples too. This is exactly what the smuglord on facebook is doing that I'm seeing on my news feed, he makes accusations and claims and doesn't back anything up, then changes the subject when confronted about it.

IDGAF about what they did in the past, you make a claim about the present, you back it up.

(oh and pleeeease don't call me a BC Lib shill or something, I'm a regular Judy Darcy voter and supporter)