Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.
If BOTAR got back together I would breed some kind of screaming albino gorilla to shout from the rooftops to express my rekindled love.
'TOM! TOM! TOM!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Hey man everyone was cool but him. If you got within arms reach of him he would grab and push you. No matter if you were gonna run into him or not. Absolutely no reason for him to be there or even touch anyone.

Sounds like a bad bouncer to me.

I've only worked the pit once since I joined the venue where I work.

They usually have me working backstage access areas so I must be a "people person."

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Psst. Hey guys. Bomb the Music Industry is on the 12th with some hip-hopped group. Anyone else going?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Miss Throwdown? A buddy recorded Night 3 and is putting it up a song at a time on youtube! Awesome video/audio quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuDAzfRZflc

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

SWITCH HITLER posted:

Psst. Hey guys. Bomb the Music Industry is on the 12th with some hip-hopped group. Anyone else going?

I might go, any idea if they posted set times anywhere?

Rabin_Crabmink
Mar 23, 2001

I hate them all except Turtleface.

Gogey posted:

I might go, any idea if they posted set times anywhere?

Set times were posted on the Facebook event page here.

Doors: 7pm

8:00-8:25 PAST ONE
8:40-9:05 THE TWEES
9:20-9:45 ANCIENT TONGUE
10:00-10:30 BOMB THE MUSIC INDUSTRY
10:45 DAS RACIST

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
FIVE IRON FRENZY IS COMING BACK??????? I mean, yeah, the throwdown was loving incredible and I spent 20 minutes bullshitting with Jeff when we discovered that his dad is my dad's lawyer, but this should loving be the new thread title or some poo poo, this is insanity.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

SERIOUSLY FIVE IRON loving FRENZY ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

feel like a kid on christmas

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Whoa whoa whoa. What?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fiveironfrenzy/new-five-iron-frenzy-album

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's pretty awesome how much they were able to raise. From the sounds of things, they really were never able to make a real living from their music at any point in their career.

I made the mistake of reading about the success of the Kickstarter around the net though, where I found a lot of resentment about how they're hypocrites for not donating all the money to charity-- which is literally against Kickstarter's TOS and not the point of Kickstarter at all. I dunno I thought it was weird. But who cares. They're back and that's all I care about.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's pretty awesome how much they were able to raise. From the sounds of things, they really were never able to make a real living from their music at any point in their career.

Welcome to ska if you're not RBF, Streetlight or LTJ.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You do lose up to ten percent of what you earn to fees from Kickstarter and Amazon's credit card processing fees.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.
Sounds like a good ice breaker for a new ska thread? This one has been around since '07(!) and it's a little bit intimidating wanting to talk about, I dunno ASOB or something when there has probably been extensive discussion on them 2000 posts ago.

RE; 'getting moshed in the skank pit', I hate that and have definitely noticed at Streetlight the last couple of times, but good news is there's always space at lovely local bands!

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Gabbleduck posted:

Sounds like a good ice breaker for a new ska thread? This one has been around since '07(!) and it's a little bit intimidating wanting to talk about, I dunno ASOB or something when there has probably been extensive discussion on them 2000 posts ago.

RE; 'getting moshed in the skank pit', I hate that and have definitely noticed at Streetlight the last couple of times, but good news is there's always space at lovely local bands!

I'm pretty sure this might be one of the oldest threads still on the main forums. It'll be a shame to see it go. Any suggestions for what should go in a new OP?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Why the hell would we need a new OP?

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
You know, starting a new thread off with some useful stuff.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Why do we need a new thread, it's not like there's a bold new change in ska.

Besides, it's kinda nice having a 100 page thread that's the same ten people posting constantly.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Ska is pretty frozen in time at this point.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
But what if it's up to us, guys!? Talking about ska is the real fourth wave.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Ska is pretty frozen in time at this point.

It's not like there's a ton of room for innovation.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Yeah but that's why new bands need to pick it up pick it up pick it up!

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I could just off my DAW and try to reboot The Pilfers attempt at creating Skungle.

That'd be innovative, right?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
You still cannot buy a Pilfers album at any of the major online music retailers, at least in the US. I almost never buy physical CDs anymore, but even if I did, of course no one has theirs. I still have no idea what the Pilfers sound like.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Yeah but that's why new bands need to pick it up pick it up pick it up!

Any excuse to post this again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzuLFe1k6PY

What a mess what a mess what a mess

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

guppy posted:

You still cannot buy a Pilfers album at any of the major online music retailers, at least in the US. I almost never buy physical CDs anymore, but even if I did, of course no one has theirs. I still have no idea what the Pilfers sound like.
You can't buy Tokyo Ska Paradise albums digitally in the US either, which is pretty frustrating since they STILL EXIST. Even iTunes, which used to have a lot of their earlier catalog, has completely dropped them.

The only album that's available in the US is the frontman's spinoff band, "Dad Mom God". It has the same intensity of the main band but it's a lot more raw, with a much smaller lineup. They also have some re-recordings of past TSPO material. It's not really the same to be honest. I'd prefer the actual band.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 14, 2012

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Wow that sucks. I bought a couple albums there when they still had them (though they've never had Full Tension Beaters :(). I hate the loving record industry. LET ME GIVE YOU MY MONEY.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

Dickeye posted:

Why do we need a new thread, it's not like there's a bold new change in ska.

Besides, it's kinda nice having a 100 page thread that's the same ten people posting constantly.

I dunno but 'bold new sound' would be a great subtitle. I just wish I had more to say about how good ska is v :) v

Maybe i'll just complain how perfect Everything Goes Numb/Catch 22's recording of Keasbey Nights are and how Tom shouldn't have even made them if whatever else he releases isn't up to that grotesquely high standard.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

Gabbleduck posted:

ASOB

Here, enjoy one of the most ridiculous live banter sets I have.

http://snevesneve.com/asob/Bootlegs/Live%20@%20The%20Downtown%20March,%203,%202004.rar

pendulous thread
Aug 14, 2011

Looks like The Urge are back with a new single and are working on a new album. Wonder if it'll stick this time.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
That video is from the past July. Is there new information?

pendulous thread
Aug 14, 2011

guppy posted:

That video is from the past July. Is there new information?

They played like three sold out shows in STL in November. Their Twitter's active; not sure who's running it. Can't really find any info newer than Nov 2011 though...

e: Steve mentioned more shows in Spring/Summer of this year on his Twitter. I feel like a creepy stalker right about now for checking! :doh:

pendulous thread fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 15, 2012

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Oh hey cool, a ska thread, taking me down memory lane. I still play my Mephiskapheles poo poo all the loving time.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Another band whose music I can't loving buy.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I actually bought mine at the Wall. Remember the Wall? Ahhh, the days when you could buy honest to god punk and ska at the mall :allears:

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was lucky enough to work for a college station that still had its ska CDs (which I rescued from being sold) and had a lot of the third wave CDs I wanted but was previously unable to find.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

guppy posted:

Another band whose music I can't loving buy.

I was lucky enough to find a used copy of God Bless Satan. Fantastic album.
No such luck with the Pilfers, but if you hurry up you can get a vinyl reissue of their first album:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/59430281/the-3rd-wave-ska-preservation-society-vinyl-reissu

Other vinyls they're releasing:
Suburban Legends - Rumpshaker
Edna's Goldfish - Before You Knew Better
Pietasters - Oolooloo

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Posted yesterday on the Arrogant Sons of Bitches' myspace page: "get ready."

Not a lot to go on, but possibly a reunion in the works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Miscellaneous_T posted:

Posted yesterday on the Arrogant Sons of Bitches' myspace page: "get ready."

Not a lot to go on, but possibly a reunion in the works?

Holy. poo poo.