Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Jaded Burnout posted:

Is there a quick and dirty way to repair the elbows on a cotton hoodie? I could probably sew them shut but I'm not very good at it and only have a little repair kit available.

Both elbows wore through and then tore right across the back of the elbow, like the knees of ripped jeans.

If the rip is big, you'll have to patch it. Do you have some donor fabric you can use? Like, turn a pair of jeans into jorts or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
You want a big elbow patch- sewing just the rip shut won't help that the fabric there is weakened from wear.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Look at how thin the fabric is an inch away from the tear. Does it look solid? If the fabric over the whole elbow looks stressed and worn, then any patch you attach is just going to rip right through the fabric at another attachment point.

You might consider attaching something like these and then sewing around the edge of the patch to keep it from peeling when you wash.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?

Jaded Burnout posted:

Is there a quick and dirty way to repair the elbows on a cotton hoodie? I could probably sew them shut but I'm not very good at it and only have a little repair kit available.

Both elbows wore through and then tore right across the back of the elbow, like the knees of ripped jeans.

I think the traditional repair would be patches. Depending on your opinions on visible mending, you could put the patch on the inside or the outside, but this will help to not only repair the holes but reinforce an area of high wear.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Here's the tear. Same on the other arm.

Those iron-on patches were my first thought, but they seem so expensive for what they are.

Does anyone know what glue they use? Or if not, what might be a suitable adhesive for fabric? I have plenty of scrap fabric and plenty of different adhesives, just not really geared / skilled up for sewing.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Those iron-on patches were my first thought, but they seem so expensive for what they are.

Does anyone know what glue they use? Or if not, what might be a suitable adhesive for fabric? I have plenty of scrap fabric and plenty of different adhesives, just not really geared / skilled up for sewing.

That rip is too long to repair with a fusible and patched fabric-- it's going to make it very stiff. (For smaller patches you want an iron-on fusible for it, adhesive-wise. Normally with a knit you'd use tricot fusible for stretch.)

I'll be honest. I would cut off the sleeves above the rip and sew on new ones out of a similar fabric type. (Colorblocking is in! You can even use the cut-off portion of the lower sleeve as a template. It's fall so you can find lots of french terry/sweatshirt fabric in the northern hemisphere, or take them from a donor garment.) I also might decide to just enjoy my new cut-off jacket.

Now, if it absolutely positively had to be repaired, I'd get similar fabric type. I'd trim up the rough ends of the hole so that they're even. Then I'd put the patch fabric on (in a way that hid raw edges of both new and old fabric to the inside) with substantial overlap and sew around the edge to secure those Then I'd re-inforce the overlapped area with lots of stitching-- maybe a pattern, maybe random, but the point is to get more strength there. Use ballpoint needles so that you don't shred the individual yarn making up the fabric loops. It's still going to be stiff but won't be as stiff as if you'd tried to use fusible patching techniques.

I might even cut the lower sleeves off, neaten up the remains on both halves, and sew in a gusset/patch between them to join them again. You'd get a complete stripe of fabric all around them. It won't be as stiff, either. But you need to have a lot of good fabric on either side for it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The thing with this one is, I just need it to wear when I'm working indoors if it's a bit cold, so being long-sleeved is the important bit. The hoodie itself doesn't have much value to me, it was new-joiner swag at a previous client, so while I'm normally all about doing things the right way, I'm a bit limited in that while I do have a sewing machine I don't have it set up or (currently) much space to do it (plus I've never used one before), so any sewing I do will have to be by hand from a tiny repair kit.

I've repaired similar issues by hand before but it's all been quite amateurish.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I’m very sorry, but I think you need a new hoodie.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
Halloween is coming up and I want to make a costume for out work party. I know what I want to make but I can't figure out what to call it when searching for patterns or drafting tips.

When I was a kid my Nan made me a leopard costume with a headpiece like this -

Sort of a helmet? with a Velcro closure under the chin. I want to use that shape as a base to make a plush fish head for a Kikkoman costume. Any ideas for search terms/advice for drafting?

Edit: I am a moron. COWL is the word I was looking for and I see some superhero costume patterns that look promising

Carbon Thief fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 30, 2022

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

effika posted:

Now, if it absolutely positively had to be repaired, I'd get similar fabric type. I'd trim up the rough ends of the hole so that they're even. Then I'd put the patch fabric on (in a way that hid raw edges of both new and old fabric to the inside) with substantial overlap and sew around the edge to secure those Then I'd re-inforce the overlapped area with lots of stitching-- maybe a pattern, maybe random, but the point is to get more strength there. Use ballpoint needles so that you don't shred the individual yarn making up the fabric loops. It's still going to be stiff but won't be as stiff as if you'd tried to use fusible patching techniques.

I would do it sashiko-style with a piece of a thick tshirt, kind of like this example from reddit

and put a rolled up magazine or something inside the sleeve to keep it straight while you sew.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Jaded Burnout posted:

this is a massive tear, and i would probably patch it, but you could probably darn that if you had a ton of free time (and make it look v striking with some bright thread. red would look great)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Beatmasterj, when the tiles were done

There's no way to predict where the plaid will fall!

Anyway, this fabric was supposed to be pajama pants and my husband wanted a shirt, so he'll get what he gets as I squeeze out a button-down from this yardage.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Hello sewing thread i have a question for you

because its halloween in a week i had a sudden and intense desire to make a marisa kirisame outfit

however!!

while looking for patterns, I realised I don't know what the black part of her top would be called, and as such am having problems figuring out how to make it

it's like. Not quite a vest but not quite a camisole? Is there a secret third thing??

I'm having similar problems trying to describe the collar. It's not really a turtleneck, but its also not not that. I feel like my (nearly nonexistent) sewing skills are probably not up to the task of creating a shirt like that so I may just try and buy something similar, but I still don't know what to call it

If anyone can point me in the right place re: terminology, that would be helpful

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hi I don't know jack and poo poo about clothes, I just lurk cause it's fun, but I can be useful here.

That weird collar-thing is something you see in a lot of anime ; it's riffing off of a look that used to popular with Japanese boys' uniforms where you just starch the living bejeezus out of the collar on your shirt and jacket so they stand up high, but because the shirts were imports of what Chinese naval jackets looked like in 1800's you get that weird circular look. Which then gets imitated and reused a bunch in art cause it's cool. You found this image, I assume you know how anime do by now.

I have no idea if you can do that with a sweater even physically, but I recognize what the art is trying to represent and so I can help that much.

No idea about that cylinder with buttons tank-top though. It just looks like someone tried to make a bell out of wool.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Blaziken386 posted:

Hello sewing thread i have a question for you

because its halloween in a week i had a sudden and intense desire to make a marisa kirisame outfit

however!!

while looking for patterns, I realised I don't know what the black part of her top would be called, and as such am having problems figuring out how to make it

it's like. Not quite a vest but not quite a camisole? Is there a secret third thing??

I'm having similar problems trying to describe the collar. It's not really a turtleneck, but its also not not that. I feel like my (nearly nonexistent) sewing skills are probably not up to the task of creating a shirt like that so I may just try and buy something similar, but I still don't know what to call it

If anyone can point me in the right place re: terminology, that would be helpful

Idk I feel like if you can find a turtleneck blouse (not sweater) you’d get pretty close.

As for the other thing…ahhhh like a square-neck woven crop-top??? Thick strap square-neck crop-top? I feel like those are giving me similarish GIS results.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s a pinafore dress and apron OP, they just cut round the top of the dress to make them separates.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 20, 2022

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Crocobile posted:

Idk I feel like if you can find a turtleneck blouse (not sweater) you’d get pretty close.

As for the other thing…ahhhh like a square-neck woven crop-top??? Thick strap square-neck crop-top? I feel like those are giving me similarish GIS results.

An oversized turtleneck in a lightweight knit (think lighter than sweatshirt material) would get you this blouse, especially if it has ribbed tight cuffs. It's also called a rolled neck or sometimes cowl neck or even funnel neck, but the latter two tend to be much looser/slouchier. Mock neck may get you some hits for something similar, but a typical mock neck is much shorter and not as wide around the neck as this top.

Agree that it's a pinafore dress split at the waist. Square neck crop top over an oversized turtleneck blouse with I think a circle skirt and apron would get you pretty close to that look.

E: looking around for sewing patterns for the top, I found this. I haven't made it or anything from her shop, but I think this is pretty close. I don't love the designer's fabric choices or suggestions, but I bet someone here could give you some good ideas for that.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 20, 2022

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
thank you sewing thread

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I finally got around to doing the repair and can't find my lil sewing kit. I've done some hearty googling but can't tell if there's any difference between them other than "make number of things in kit go up".

Do you folks have any go-to kits or should I just buy whatever cheapo kit is available? I'm guessing the thread in them is skimped on in quality or quantity but I'm too noob to tell either way.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I finally got around to doing the repair and can't find my lil sewing kit. I've done some hearty googling but can't tell if there's any difference between them other than "make number of things in kit go up".

Do you folks have any go-to kits or should I just buy whatever cheapo kit is available? I'm guessing the thread in them is skimped on in quality or quantity but I'm too noob to tell either way.

If you're doing this repair by hand, I would recommend getting a spool of thread that's the color and weight you want, and a small set of sewing needles in somewhat varied sizes. I have used a few sewing kits over the years and I've only ever really used the needles from them anyway so I kinda never understood the point (other than maybe some ultra-small portable one as an emergency kit).

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

armorer posted:

If you're doing this repair by hand, I would recommend getting a spool of thread that's the color and weight you want, and a small set of sewing needles in somewhat varied sizes. I have used a few sewing kits over the years and I've only ever really used the needles from them anyway so I kinda never understood the point (other than maybe some ultra-small portable one as an emergency kit).

I don't have things like pins and destitcher tools and such, but yeah I don't usually trust these kinds of kits to not be mostly filler, whatever the hobby.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I don't have things like pins and destitcher tools and such, but yeah I don't usually trust these kinds of kits to not be mostly filler, whatever the hobby.

Having a seam ripper is nice too, yeah. Shouldn't be necessary for this though.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

armorer posted:

Having a seam ripper is nice too, yeah. Shouldn't be necessary for this though.

Thanks. I've ordered a selection pack of gutermann threads, some basic pins & needles, thimble, and a cheap seam ripper, if only because I know I'll have to unpick something.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah some needles and thread in colours you'll need are pretty much it. A needle threader is nice to have, and a lot of needle packs* come with it. (The cheap stamped metal think with a queen's head and a little diamond-shaped wire loop.) I would just buy a book of needles from a sewing shop. It'll likely be decent.

It can be worthwhile buying good quality thread -- Gütermann is the gold standard. The polyester "sew-all" stuff would be best.

You also need something to cut the thread with, but you probably have scissors already. Dedicated short-blade thread scissors are nice if you're doing a lot of sewing.

Seam rippers are mostly for correcting mistakes when you're sewing, so not essential for general repairs.

Spare buttons are a common emergency sewing kit thing, if you have a lot of button-down shirts that might need repair.

Also a few pieces of sturdy material to use for patches can be useful. e.g. cut some bits off a pair of old jeans.

* Books of needles? I feel like I grew up referring to a pack of needles as a "book", but Google seems to suggest this isn't common parlance any more, if it ever was...

Edit:

Jaded Burnout posted:

Thanks. I've ordered a selection pack of gutermann threads, some basic pins & needles, thimble, and a cheap seam ripper, if only because I know I'll have to unpick something.

Yeah you should be good. Seam rippers are seam rippers, pretty much, and the only real upgrade from there is to start using a razor blade. Pins are handy, but mainly for constructing new clothing. Still could be useful for holding patches in place while you sew them.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It can be worthwhile buying good quality thread -- Gütermann is the gold standard. The polyester "sew-all" stuff would be best.

That's exactly what I got. It was around £2 per 100m reel.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 21, 2022

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Another thing a seam ripper is good at: getting hair wrapped around vacuum brushes off.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Is this where cross-stitch questions go?

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.
There is an embroidery thread but it is pretty inactive. But if you post in it at least one person (me) will try to help.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

DominoKitten posted:

Another thing a seam ripper is good at: getting hair wrapped around vacuum brushes off.

My hair is 3 feet long, and your advice just changed my life. Thank you!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I need to ask a pattern question about a lined hood in a costume.

Here's what the pattern says:

My understanding is that I sew the neckline of the outer hood to the body, right sides together. Then I put the lining over the outer hood with the right sides together (so it will look like the costume has an inside out lining for a hood) and sew along the front edge of the outer hood and lining. Then flip the lining inside (so the wrong side of the lining is facing the wrong side of the outer hood) and sew it to the neckline with a slip stitch. Is that right?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Yep, you read that correctly!

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011
I used to have a Clauss seam ripper, but I lost it earlier this year. They seem impossible to find for sale now. :(

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Huh. Had never heard of those. But this seems like a substitute: https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/home/toys-and-games/crafts/58722-pro-seam-ripper-kit?item=09A0120

It also looks like those might just be standard scalpel blades, so you could probably just buy a scalpel and use that?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Havel also makes a similar one with replaceable blades.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Kangaroo costume success!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Great job that's super cute!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Great job! I love the ears.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

That's adorable. Kind of wanting an adult sized hoodie of that tbh.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I finished a Thread Theory Fairfield button-up shirt for my husband! I did, in the end, get most of the plaid to match despite the short yardage (the fabric was supposed to be pajama pants, initially). Fabric is Robert Kaufman Mammoth Flannel, colorway medium green buffalo check, yarn-dyed, 100% cotton, and approximately 220gsm. It washes up into a nice thick fabric for cold weather! Should be great for layering.

Sewing went pretty well, but I sewed one of the sleeves on inside-out and didn't notice until all the important seems had been flat-felled. Luckily he's OK with it! I hope he wants more of these, because not having to move the waist or adjust darts, etc, was really nice. This pattern has a set of sizes with a full-belly adjustment already done, too, so there was even less to modify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

gently caress that’s a really nice shirt. What color is it out of curiosity?