Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clamwacker
Feb 12, 2007

It is now time to rock out with your cock out. BEGIN!

incredibull posted:

Tahuya ORV park, outside of Belfair. Great day wheeling spot if you don't really want to break anything, though it still requires some effort of course. Most of the trails are pretty tame, even the advanced areas - though they are pretty heavily rutted by buggies, so rollovers are a real risk on some of the hills due to deep rutting. I live 20 minutes from the trails, hit me up on here sometime if you decide to go.

My only real issue with Tahuya is that during the weekends it's full of local drunks/methhead assholes. I was there one time when the locals parked their rigs on the trails to block off the mud pit so they could have it to themselves to party. On the flip side of the coin, I was there alone with my cousin one time when he blew his clutch. A guy in a stock Durango towed us all the way out of the trails and the whole 15 miles home, and he only asked for gas money.

During the week it's totally empty.

Wow, they blocked all the trails? What a bunch of tools, that mud pit isn't THAT much fun. I've been up to Tahuya a few times, and most of the time it's exactly as you describe - full of drunk assholes in full size trucks tearing apart the trails, that is when they're not making their own or trashing the trees so they can fit.

It's amazing that place is still open, honestly. If it were in Oregon it would have been closed years ago. If you've ever been to Tillamook State Forest, the difference in trail conditions and the people in general is pretty dramatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
gently caress that mud pit any way. When it's full of water it only serves to destroy vehicles. I've seen it swallow a FS truck on 44s. Mud breaks poo poo, I don't have the money or time to deal with that.

The one time I went to Tillamook, I drove all the way down from Seattle, met the group I was wheeling with, and blew my radiator open ten minutes into the trails while getting pulled out of a ditch - the guy hooking the tow strap hooked it to the radiator support, split it wide open when they pulled me. Spent the rest of the day repairing it so I could get home in the morning. Never got to wheel at all :(

incredibull fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 6, 2011

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Looks like my brother just picked up a 94 Cherokee (guess that makes it a ZJ) for his new daily driver and project vehicle. Knowing what is available in the area and the crappy sell phone pic he sent me the thing is going to need some work. I'm still jealous because I've always wanted a jeep to beat the poo poo out of.

His Birthday is coming up so other than a haynes/bentley shop manual what would make a good gift for a new jeep owner?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Looks like my brother just picked up a 94 Cherokee (guess that makes it a ZJ) for his new daily driver and project vehicle.
If it's a Grand Cherokee, yes. Otherwise, it's an XJ.

quote:

His Birthday is coming up so other than a haynes/bentley shop manual what would make a good gift for a new jeep owner?
Good maps of the area with the local trails?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

It is a Cherokee Sport, ordered a shop manual and a CD so he should be in good shape for fixing it and keeping it running. Will look around and see if there are any active off-roading spots or clubs in the area.

Thanks for the map idea, hadn't thought of that.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I like the Benchmark series of road and recreation atlas like this: http://www.amazon.com/Benchmark-Washington-Road-Recreation-Atlas/dp/0929591984/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1294424061&sr=8-3

Big maps, lots of trails shown (although they don't really say much about difficulty), and pretty cheap.

Also that reminds me, are there good front seat covers for XJs (with the simple non adjustable headrest seats) which add pockets or storage? I want to keep my maps in the car and think a pocket behind the seat would be perfect/

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 7, 2011

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
While you're at it, buy him a gun so he doesn't get jacked up when he ends up on some hick's property or someone else's "secret" wheeling spot.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Bucephalus posted:

My question: anyone have experience with the Rampage Cab Top?

Where are my manners? Before I jump in asking questions, I believe an introduction is in order. Abused and neglected '91 YJ, purchased from my sister for $400. From the "What did you do to your ride today?" thread, back in August:

Bucephalus posted:

Under previous ownership, my Wrangler met a tree and was left with a bad impression.

You can see the bend in the floorpan, but there's also a healthy crease right where the floor meets the rocker.

2x3" channel iron inside, 2" box tubing outside, and 4 bridge clamps.

Apply torque.

Door opening is now reasonably straight.

The floor and lower rocker are still wrinkled. To be continued...

Bucephalus posted:

Continuation, with slightly more sophisticated tools...

...that I can't use because the entire frame is below the body.

So it's back to clamping and hammering, leaving me with this:

Good enough for the short run.

Since then, the inner rocker has been lined with 1/4" steel plate, welded to 1/8" steel lining the floor. The inner body supports/seatbelt retractor anchors have been replaced with 3/16" 2x3 C-channel, also welded in place. All seams were sealed and the whole mess sprayed with rubberized undercoating, top and bottom. Good enough for now, but I'm afraid a replacement tub is in order. :(

Today:

The rust holes pictured earlier were cut out and covered with aluminum diamond plate, RTV, and stainless steel bolts. Doors with factory mirrors and good uppers were a $100 Craigslist find. Driver's side rear corner hung ~3/4" low, so I pushed the top of the cowl forward with a Hi-Lift. Door alignment is now perfect. :) Tires, for now, are P205's.

New sending unit, new aftermarket fuel gauge...and still no semblance of accuracy. :eng99: New dash panel, Autometer gauges, and decent tunes are in the works.

Spring will bring S10 bastard packs, Daystar 1" body lift/mounts (stock mounts are shot), and a set of 31s.

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Only my friends can call me Pigfucker.
I guess I've just joined the community of Jeep owners. I bought a 1996 Cherokee Sport, tan/gold with 66,310 miles on it. It has some cosmetic flaws, and it's obviously a 15 year old vehicle, but the guy had paperwork for every oil change, every repair, every maintenance item. Aside from the "old car" smell, it was a perfect way to get rid of $2200. I don't plan to do much to try to break it, as it's now my daily driver, as well as sole source of transportation. Anything I need to be on top of from the experienced Jeep gurus here?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

brickswereshat posted:

I guess I've just joined the community of Jeep owners. I bought a 1996 Cherokee Sport, tan/gold with 66,310 miles on it. It has some cosmetic flaws, and it's obviously a 15 year old vehicle, but the guy had paperwork for every oil change, every repair, every maintenance item. Aside from the "old car" smell, it was a perfect way to get rid of $2200. I don't plan to do much to try to break it, as it's now my daily driver, as well as sole source of transportation. Anything I need to be on top of from the experienced Jeep gurus here?

It only has 66k miles? That is awesome!!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

brickswereshat posted:

Just make sure that when you go to put a lift on it, you don't do "stages". Figure out how large you want your tires to be and plan accordingly.

Don't look at me like you won't lift it :colbert:

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Bojanglesworth posted:

It only has 66k miles? That is awesome!!

I was amazed when I saw it, and I was lucky to have cash in hand for it. It's not the prettiest, but it's mechanically perfect.

How often will I have to change the transmission fluid / differential fluids, are the front and rear diffs seperate, etc?

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

Yarrrr! I be here to plunder the fun outta me workplace! Avast!

FREE DECAHEDRON!
I just picked up a 2000 Wrangler with 83k on it a few weeks ago. I spent the entire Christmas weekend underneath it sanding off all the rust and undercoating it, but it's still going to need a new top pretty soon. I think a sunrider top might be cool, but I've heard that they tend to leak. Which ones should I avoid? Which tops are good?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I drove my Jeep around in five inches of fresh unplowed snow this morning. I have never had a 4x4 in snow before and it was pretty awesome.

Though my wife got around just as well in her Honda Accord coupe with Blizzaks on it.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

brickswereshat posted:

How often will I have to change the transmission fluid / differential fluids, are the front and rear diffs seperate, etc?

Don't know if you have a manual or auto trans, but I like to change diff oil and trans oil the same time on my manual trucks at every 20k, so basically it gets changed once a year. I think it's probably overkill, but on the other hand gear oil gets abused by extreme pressures with no filtering and no cooling.

An automatic transmission I would probably change out fluid/filter every 50k or every two years.

I also have Lubelocker reusable gaskets on my D30 and D35, have used them twice now with no seal issues. I hate sealing diffs with RTV. Theoretically so long as you don't overtorque the cover bolts, these gaskets should be reusable quite a few times.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Picked up a 1999 XJ for a steal. It's got problems though.

No heat, rattles and shakes everywhere. Blown out speakers. So so interior.

Good news is, the motor is silent, no knocks or ticks. Drivetrain is solid. 4.0 231 4x4. 130k miles.

Tomorrow I'm grabbing the speakers, hatch struts, and rims/tires off our 95 plow rig, along with trying to flush the heater core to get heat back. If flushing it doesn't work, I get to replace it which is a pretty :suicide: job

Come spring I'm welding on new floor pans and rockers + POR15. Probably going to try and find a ford 8.8 with disks and LSD too....

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

So far my XJ has been a bit of an emotional roller coaster. Fist it was $2200 for a 66k mile Jeep, HOORAY! Then it was 17 miles to the gallon, driving like an old person? BOO! Then it's DEATH RATTLE omgwtfohno! Then it's "haha, I'm just your power steering pump!" Hooray! Just waiting for the next ohshit. But I like it.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

brickswereshat posted:

17 miles to the gallon, driving like an old person? BOO!

Drive it like you stole it. You'll still get 17.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

brickswereshat posted:

So far my XJ has been a bit of an emotional roller coaster. Fist it was $2200 for a 66k mile Jeep, HOORAY! Then it was 17 miles to the gallon, driving like an old person? BOO! Then it's DEATH RATTLE omgwtfohno! Then it's "haha, I'm just your power steering pump!" Hooray! Just waiting for the next ohshit. But I like it.

We get about 12 miles to the gallon driving like old people. Consider yourself blessed.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Both my car and Jeep average 13mpg, sometimes the Jeep does a little better. I spend $200 a month on gas. :suicide:

Clamwacker
Feb 12, 2007

It is now time to rock out with your cock out. BEGIN!

incredibull posted:

gently caress that mud pit any way. When it's full of water it only serves to destroy vehicles. I've seen it swallow a FS truck on 44s. Mud breaks poo poo, I don't have the money or time to deal with that.

The one time I went to Tillamook, I drove all the way down from Seattle, met the group I was wheeling with, and blew my radiator open ten minutes into the trails while getting pulled out of a ditch - the guy hooking the tow strap hooked it to the radiator support, split it wide open when they pulled me. Spent the rest of the day repairing it so I could get home in the morning. Never got to wheel at all :(

That blows. We always manage to have something stupid happen out there. The last two trips have resulted in radiator failure as well. This most recent time one of our group put a branch all the way through his S10's radiator (it was just a matter of time, he thinks it's hilarious to drift every corner on the gravel roads). It was part of a poker run event so we towed him the rest of the way, and he ran his engine only during the checkpoint challenges. The same basic thing happened the year before at the same event, my buddy's XJ blew its radiator (not with a branch) and we towed him through.

The time before those I blew up the spider gears in my D35. Then another time my buddy's dad busted his axle on Little Rubicon (think I posted a pic of it in this thread but I can't find it on my computer). I don't think we've ever gone out there without breaking something.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Faerunner posted:

We get about 12 miles to the gallon driving like old people. Consider yourself blessed.
When you say "old people", do you mean Ivan Stewart?

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
I use my jeep for work, so alot of 10mph crawling around sites. I get 10-11mpg on average.

Right now my jeep isn't running as it has eaten yet another starter. I'm getting good at replacing them. This spring its gonna get an electrical overhaul.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 16, 2011

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Yeah. OMW to work I hear a "thunk" and my temp gauge goes hot, my electric generation drops to about 4v, and my windshield wipers slow to a crawl.

The power steering pump poo poo it's guts, and the shaft the pulley attaches to fell out.

So far, not impressed with my Jeep, lol.

Edit: Serpentine belts suck.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It's a Saginaw pump. Don't hate Jeep, hate GM.

So when the pump fell apart, were bricks shat? :v:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

mod sassinator posted:

Both my car and Jeep average 13mpg, sometimes the Jeep does a little better. I spend $200 a month on gas. :suicide:

People don't believe me when I told them my old jeeps get worse mileage than my H1.

On the other hand the H1 is a diesel so that helps a little (not really).

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

It's a Saginaw pump. Don't hate Jeep, hate GM.

So when the pump fell apart, were bricks shat? :v:

Just squirted a little concrete. Too much coffee in my diet.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Got working heat in my 1999 xj again without replacing the heater core.

Ran radiator flush through it. Didn't do squat. Ran CLR through it. Didn't do squat.

Let CLR sit in it over night, then blasted it out with an air compressor. I now have working heat again. It's weak to medium, but good enough for the week. I'll let it sit with CLR again next weekend and flush it more, along with doing a full coolant system flush.

Also fixed my drivers side speaker. The door opening caused the wire to fray. Fixed it and put on some heavy duty loom. Swapped in my kenwood speakers out of our 95 XJ.

Also swapped the wheels/tires off our 95 onto my 99. Dunlop Radial Rover A/Ts which are infinitely better than the steal belted rear end tires that came on the thing.

Things left to fix/todo immediately:

• CLR douche the heater core again. Coolant flush.
  • Figure out why my rear wiper washer works but my front doesn't.
  • Sounds like rear end on startup, almost as if one cylinder isn't firing. Will throw a tuneup kit at it.
  • Fix passenger door lock so it actually locks.
  • Try and epoxy the aftermarket rear pioneer speaker it came with to get it to not sound like rear end. Otherwise leave it out.
  • Figure out the loud wooshing sound above 60mph. Sounds like my windshield seal is bad.
  • Wire wheel and rattle can those stealies at my buddies place in his heated garage. Less rust brown, more black.

Once all that crap is dealt with, I'll be junkyard hunting for upgrades and fixing up lower priority stuff.

• Install rear hitch and front tow hooks to use as recovery points.
  • Weld new metal in floor boards + rockers in the spring. POR15 it's brains out.
  • Fab up a rustys knock off front skid for armor + front strengthening.
  • Try and find some heated seats out of a Grand Cherokee to throw in.
  • Grand Cherokee beefy tie rods, maybe sways. Any other GC crap I can fit.
  • ZJ gas tank skid.
  • Misc trim pieces to replace my busted up ones.
  • Grab some OEM XJ fogs and wiring out of a junker. (I like more buttons to push)
  • Try and find an OEM overhead console.
  • Ford 8.8 (LSD, disks) eventually.
  • Fender trimming and two sets of TJ rear flares so I can steal my sisters tires while she's deployed.
  • Part time light doesn't come on when in 4wd. Will research quick fixes online, but probably going to ignore.
  • Swap exhausts with our 95 plow rig so I can pass sticker next year.
  • Junk yard rear springs to replace my flat ones.

It's a pile of poo poo but I love it.

I plan to keep it stock height with armor. It's just a DD/back up ride for when I break my subaru. Might be pulling out some stuck subarus or jeeps, maybe some mild offroad stuff.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

brickswereshat posted:

Yeah. OMW to work I hear a "thunk" and my temp gauge goes hot, my electric generation drops to about 4v, and my windshield wipers slow to a crawl.

The power steering pump poo poo it's guts, and the shaft the pulley attaches to fell out.

So far, not impressed with my Jeep, lol.

Edit: Serpentine belts suck.

sell it to me, problem solved

p.s. I'm serious sell me your XJ

incredibull fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 18, 2011

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
So there is definitely a distinctive thunking noise from my rear differential. That thing is going to be a mess when it is opened up. I am also starting school so I guess it is going in to the mechanic since I don't have the time for this.

Just have to keep remembering the good times so I don't go crazy and push it off a cliff.

weyland 073 by atticus_1354, on Flickr

Cherokee Dashboard by atticus_1354, on Flickr

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 16, 2011

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Atticus_1354 posted:

weyland 073 by atticus_1354, on Flickr

I miss doing poo poo like this. Awesome pic, how far in there did you go?

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

incredibull posted:

sell it to me, problem solved

p.s. I'm serious sell me your XJ

I need my XJ for another 3 months or so, but after that, I'd be willing to contemplate offers.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Anyone know if P0107 (MAP voltage too low) is a common issue for XJs? My friend's 2000 threw it tonight. I inspected near the MAP sensor and saw nothing out of the ordinary. We cleared it with a scantool and will see if it pops up.

I only found this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/99-cherokee-sport-map-sensor-indicator-codes-bucking-surging-841921/

e: We tightened up the procedure to reproduce it. Put it into reverse (it's the Command-Trac auto), then engage 4WD Hi. As you back up, the check engine light will come on, you'll hear a chatter from the transfer case / tranny area, and the engine will sputter. After a few seconds, the chatter goes away, the engine revs up a bit and then settles into a normal idle.

I don't know much about XJs -- is the 4WD actuation vacuum-based? I'm guessing the chattering noise was it having trouble locking the diff? How much risk is continuing driving, and what next steps to debug should he take?

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 19, 2011

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

incredibull posted:

I miss doing poo poo like this. Awesome pic, how far in there did you go?

That is at Big Bend National Park. I did not go very far since I was alone and the weather turned the next day. I went camping with my sisters and stayed an extra two days after they left. The mountains in the distance are the Chisos Basin and have some very nice hiking. My flickr has a few more pictures HERE. Next year I should be living within a few hours of there and I am really excited about it. However I will have sold the Cherokee in favor of something a little more mild and better on the road but still 4x4. Probably a Tahoe or Chevy truck

weyland 064 by atticus_1354, on Flickr

Old ore Road by atticus_1354, on Flickr

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 19, 2011

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kimbo305 posted:

Anyone know if P0107 (MAP voltage too low) is a common issue for XJs? My friend's 2000 threw it tonight. I inspected near the MAP sensor and saw nothing out of the ordinary. We cleared it with a scantool and will see if it pops up.

I only found this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/99-cherokee-sport-map-sensor-indicator-codes-bucking-surging-841921/

e: We tightened up the procedure to reproduce it. Put it into reverse (it's the Command-Trac auto), then engage 4WD Hi. As you back up, the check engine light will come on, you'll hear a chatter from the transfer case / tranny area, and the engine will sputter. After a few seconds, the chatter goes away, the engine revs up a bit and then settles into a normal idle.

I don't know much about XJs -- is the 4WD actuation vacuum-based? I'm guessing the chattering noise was it having trouble locking the diff? How much risk is continuing driving, and what next steps to debug should he take?

Strange issue. In a 2000 XJ, it is NOT Vacuum actuated. I can't think of a reason why it would throw that code though.

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Oh damned jeep...

I got my jeep back from the shop after having the power steering pump and one of the coolant hoses replaced. At 65 (not 60 or lower) the front end vibrated pretty hard. Then it "bucked" for about 2 seconds, then went back to just vibrating. I'm taking it to an alignment shop Friday (I can't afford to take more time off for this loving thing), but I'm not optimistic.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

brickswereshat posted:

Oh damned jeep...

I got my jeep back from the shop after having the power steering pump and one of the coolant hoses replaced. At 65 (not 60 or lower) the front end vibrated pretty hard. Then it "bucked" for about 2 seconds, then went back to just vibrating. I'm taking it to an alignment shop Friday (I can't afford to take more time off for this loving thing), but I'm not optimistic.

Maybe a u-joint going bad? Shouldn't be an expensive part although the labor might be moderately high.

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

On my way back from work last night, I got to a stoplight, and there was a soft "thunk" as I was pulling away, like the 4hi was turning off, and then the drat thing drove fine. 1) Is there a way to determine that the 4x4 is actually NOT engaged by external inspection? 2) If the 4x4 is not disengaging properly, is there a way to permanently disable it (mechanically) and not affect the rest of the driveline?

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

brickswereshat posted:

Oh damned jeep...

The vibes you describe are more likely related to tire balance - maybe a tire lost a balance weight or was just never balanced well in the first place. The multi-link setup used by Jeep is susceptible to resonance, with even the smallest vibration enough getting things started.

I would also suggest if you have a torque wrench, get a chassis torque chart (Jeepforum and NAXJA likely have these, TJ charts are there) and torque down all bolts on the front suspension to spec. My TJ had loose track bar mount bolts on both the front and rear when I got it, the rear was loose enough to knock.

kimbo305 posted:

I only found this:

Are you sure the chattering noise wasn't the engine pinging under load as it bogged down for whatever reason? This doesn't happen if you put it in reverse while in 2WD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Quick question. Is there a company that makes the half hardtop for a JK? I've seen the half hard tops on TJs, turning them into essentially a pick up, but I'm thinking of picking up a JK Rubi when I come back to the states and the availability of one of those would really push me towards it more.