Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kilometers Davis posted:

The heavy to light change is definitely going to be tough but I think it's going to be worth it. The only downside is that I'll have a tougher time playing fast picked metal stuff for a while but eh, Petrucci prefers to use EB 9s so yeah. It can be done. I'd love it if a few others joined in this little experiment to see how we all fare. I honestly expect that I'm going to come out a better guitarist since being relaxed and having a very light smooth touch is one of the best ways to become faster and cleaner as a player. Now I just need to find how how to get a Les Paul for a non ridiculous price and ill be the most comfortable guitarist possible, haha. (Honestly I've never played an LP but I've been crazy about them lately. They seem so fun to play)

Heads up, a legit LP weighs a ton. The only guitar I've ever felt that's heavier than an LP is a Mockingbird. Oh and some of the necks are really thick, like about as thick as an oar. I never remember which ones the thicker neck, the 50s or the 60s but I think the 50s is the thick one. But if you want a really comfortable guitar for putzing around at home an LP is expensive but pretty worth it. And thank god they stopped putting those little metal things on the knobs, my friend's dad's LPs had them and I quickly learned the reason why everyone calls them blood testers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Pyrthas posted:

Well, that's what I've always thought, too, but Xabi was talking about acoustics, and it made me realize that I'm pretty sure I've never heard or seen an archtop strung with light strings. It just made me a little curious what the difference would be, if any. Again, not enough to screw around with it myself, but still. (Of course, the point about action is largely due to it being an archtop and the sort of music you traditionally play with an archtop.)
Maybe I was a bit unclear, but I'm not talking about putting light strings on an acouster but rather light[er]. My point is that if you're gonna play both electric and acoustic, you'll have a harder time switching if you have 8-9s on your electric and massive strings on your acoustic (or another electric).

e: Regarding Les Paul necks: On the Custom Shop models the 57s and 58s are somewhat big, 59s "medium", 60s skinny. Modern ones are somewhat thin as well IMO. It all depends on what you prefer.

Xabi fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 6, 2013

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

What are your most used guitar-apps? It seems like there are tons of apps, and I have no idea which ones are useful/worth paying for.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Assuming you mean mobile apps, android wise, Chord! is what I use, seems to be the best all around chord/scale almanac. The guitar tab apps mostly seem tied to one or two sites each which makes me a little meh about purchasing. I think I have GuitarTapp but find it lacking in newer music at times. A tab search app with support for defining your own URL/search strings would clean up.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

I meant for iPhone. Should have mentioned that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Get Guitar Toolkit and Tab Toolkit and never look back. They're amazing tools. If you want chord/progressions ChordBank is the best app out of everything I've tried.

Francostein posted:

Heads up, a legit LP weighs a ton. The only guitar I've ever felt that's heavier than an LP is a Mockingbird. Oh and some of the necks are really thick, like about as thick as an oar. I never remember which ones the thicker neck, the 50s or the 60s but I think the 50s is the thick one. But if you want a really comfortable guitar for putzing around at home an LP is expensive but pretty worth it. And thank god they stopped putting those little metal things on the knobs, my friend's dad's LPs had them and I quickly learned the reason why everyone calls them blood testers.

I'm a huge fat mountain so I doubt the weight would be an issue. The neck may be but all of my guitars are pretty chunky.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kilometers Davis posted:

Get Guitar Toolkit and Tab Toolkit and never look back. They're amazing tools. If you want chord/progressions ChordBank is the best app out of everything I've tried.

I'm a huge fat mountain so I doubt the weight would be an issue. The neck may be but all of my guitars are pretty chunky.

Oh then you should buy some sweatpants when you get a LP because you're going to have a colossal boner for about a week.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Francostein posted:

Oh then you should buy some sweatpants when you get a LP because you're going to have a colossal boner for about a week.

God drat why does Gibson have to jack up their prices so much. I mean I'm sure the quality is great but poo poo. I need my monolithic boner to rise into the heavens and harmonize with the cosmos so I can achieve true guitar skill.

It's funny, I always figured LPs were good with dirt but not very great clean and then I got into Empire! Empire! and feel in love with his warm soft tone. Every picture I've seen he's got an LP.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
They're probably one of the best solid body guitars for thick clean tones and dad bluesing. Yeah they're expensive as gently caress but I think they're worth it if you can afford it.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Beware the lure of Les. I went out thinking of getting an $800 LP studio and ended up two days later getting a $3k LP standard after spending that 48hrs playing almost every single one I could get my hands on.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Francostein posted:

They're probably one of the best solid body guitars for thick clean tones and dad bluesing. Yeah they're expensive as gently caress but I think they're worth it if you can afford it.

That varies drastically from instrument to instrument. Gibson's quality control is absolutely abhorrent these days.

Honestly I could never justify spending the insane amount of money Gibson wants for any of their stuff. With both Gibson and Fender, you're just paying for the name, literally dozens of manufactures are making better instruments for less money.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Weird, I thought with the new plek bullshit they bought from Framus their QC would be decent. I may be biased since the few LPs I played were babied like a blue blooded heiress and were also likely made in the early 90s.

I won't disagree with you that other manufacturers are building great, if not greater quality guitars for fractions of the price. poo poo, I was about to buy a Studio until I remembered about the ESP/LTD Eclipse series.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

nrr posted:

Beware the lure of Les. I went out thinking of getting an $800 LP studio and ended up two days later getting a $3k LP standard after spending that 48hrs playing almost every single one I could get my hands on.

No one should ever have to pay 3k for a "standard" guitar. I can go buy a car with hundreds of moving parts for that amount of money.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Kilometers Davis posted:

Seconding Guitar/TabToolkit; they're fantastic.

There's also Guitar Pro, which is more or less the same as Tab Toolkit, but also has a notepad function to type in a quick tab that you can export and also play back immediately, which is really handy for getting something out of my head and written down for later reference. On the other hand, it's pretty basic, you can't edit existing gp files, and it's single track only. Has anybody tried Progression?

For ChordBank, anybody know the difference between the currently free normal one and ChordBankPro?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

HollisBrown posted:

No one should ever have to pay 3k for a "standard" guitar. I can go buy a car with hundreds of moving parts for that amount of money.

I didn't "have" to pay anything, I wanted to. "Standard" was the name of the model, not an indication of it being short of features. I tried out a ton of guitars and found the one I wanted and I'm happy with it.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I suppose I should point out you could take a chance on a cheap imitation.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-599-Quilt-Heritage-Burst-Abalone-Purfling-Maple-Binding-_p_4341.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMWxx15G_Gk
If that's the sound you want, of course. If you don't, there are other options.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I have a Les Paul!

0O3O0028 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

:v:

But really, for $200 used it's a great guitar.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
Guy I know has a 1980 LP; it sounds unbelievable, plays fantastically, and is also heavier than many of the basses I've played.

I really want one.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

sup

I need to get a case so I can get it to my luthier and have 'eem fix it up. Probably needs a refret, plane and re-radiusing of the fretboard, and a big rear end crack in the body needs to be stabilized. Needs a new bridge too. I want to find accurate knobs for it, but I can't find anyone that sells tophat knobs that say "bass," "treble," or "decade."

Neck is nice and thin and it's a pretty light guitar.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

nrr posted:

I didn't "have" to pay anything, I wanted to. "Standard" was the name of the model, not an indication of it being short of features. I tried out a ton of guitars and found the one I wanted and I'm happy with it.

Well said. I'll never settle for a cheap guitar or some sort of knockoff. I'll happily "overpay" for a guitar I know is well made and from a company who knows what they're doing. When you're picking a main instrument I think you have to suck it up and ignore the price and get something that will last and fit your needs exactly.

Has anyone tried out D'Addario's new balanced strings? I can't wait to grab a set. I've always been let down by how badly balanced most strings are. Some of EB's are just bizarre. I'm hoping these sell well and influence the industry.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

muike posted:

sup

I need to get a case so I can get it to my luthier and have 'eem fix it up. Probably needs a refret, plane and re-radiusing of the fretboard, and a big rear end crack in the body needs to be stabilized. Needs a new bridge too. I want to find accurate knobs for it, but I can't find anyone that sells tophat knobs that say "bass," "treble," or "decade."

I've always wanted one of those; they're just so weird.

On Les Pauls: I thought it was interesting watching Alan Sparhawk go from a Fender guitar + Fender amp to a Les Paul and a Marshall amp. If there's a group that seems like it should stay Fender / Fender forever and ever, it's Low.

However, I heard him play a couple Christmases ago here in Seattle and that LP / Marshall combo, even on their older material, sounded tremendously better than the clear pealing of single-coils from a scooped Fender / Fender.

It's probably that it's just because his rig is in opposition to the sounds he has created in the past, and that sort of tension between rig and genre simply goes against type enough to perk up ears which were preparing for clear, gleaming, beautifully prismatic icepicks and instead get the smoothness of Jo Jo's Hawaiian shave

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's definitely weird, but I don't really think it'll take me that long to get used to. Most of the circuitry is pretty conventional, there's just a lot of it. The biggest problem is going to be the impedance transformer, but I'm sure the technology has come pretty far since 72, I hope.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

muike posted:

sup

Neck is nice and thin and it's a pretty light guitar.

Man that thing is AWESOME. I have also wanted to try one of those since I first laid eyes on one. I've always kind of been a les paul guy yet always loved single coils (Gilmore). I have owned 2 les paul studios(one humbucker, 1 p-90), 2 samick les pauls, a Cortez and a ibanez lawsuit les paul. Now the only les paul guitar I own is a Samick Greg Bennett Av-7. The Gibsons might have been better, but just about every other les paul copy i've tried has come up short most notably the Ltd Ec-1000. The Dean Deceiver and Aria Lawsuit les paul are my favorite copies besides the Av-7. Anyway enough of my les paul sperging, I would spare no expense on that reovation. How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Free, I got it from me old man. I lucked out, I guess. He didn't seem to want too much do to do with it. I didn't even know he had it until he went "oh you can have this." I guess he was happier with his 175, and didn't bother taking care of this thing. I think he got it way back in the 70's.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
Cool congratulations on being given a fairly rare, weirdly unique $2400 dollar guitar. I'm so happy for you :geno:

muike posted:

It's definitely weird, but I don't really think it'll take me that long to get used to. Most of the circuitry is pretty conventional, there's just a lot of it. The biggest problem is going to be the impedance transformer, but I'm sure the technology has come pretty far since 72, I hope.

My home-made Tele has a split-coil humbucker, steel pole bridge single coil, phase controls as well as parallel / series controls, a kill switch, two volume knobs, and a Varitone. I listened to some demos of that Recording Guitar and it seems like its versatility and ability to confuse and come up with tons of different sounds is as great or greater than what I'm playing (it's really fun, but I've had to start taking notes on particular guitar / amp configurations so I can remember them later)

Schlieren fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 7, 2013

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Xabi posted:

It's a myth that bigger strings result in bigger or better sound. Why are you using 11s and 12s? What's your reasoning?

I don't reason when it comes to music, I use my ears; and I didn't say heavier strings sound better. They sound different, and they feel good to my fingers. 99% of what I play is clean fingerstyle rhythm without effects, and heavier strings are better for that job - to my ears.

Xabi posted:

Also, Gibbons has rocked on light strings since day one I believe. Same goes for Jimmy Page and Eddie boy. You don't need stuff to boost your signal to make lighter string sound great.

Look on Youtube for that clip I mentioned; he recalls the BB King anecdote in a short interview.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Warcabbit posted:

I suppose I should point out you could take a chance on a cheap imitation.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-599-Quilt-Heritage-Burst-Abalone-Purfling-Maple-Binding-_p_4341.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMWxx15G_Gk
If that's the sound you want, of course. If you don't, there are other options.

Agile also makes some chambered versions which will help with the weight a little bit, and there's also the AXL 1216 which is pretty good for the price point, particularly the electronics.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

Agile also makes some chambered versions which will help with the weight a little bit, and there's also the AXL 1216 which is pretty good for the price point, particularly the electronics.

All my friends whine about my unchambered Agile 3100 being too heavy. I love the sound and after I put the straplocks on it, the balance felt much better. Also I like the weight, I should be able to kill a man by braining him with my guitar and swing it back 'round to play a sweet solo afterword.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Declan MacManus posted:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/Xaviere-XV-585-Chambered-Mahogany-Carved-Top-Cherry-Mahogany_p_1178.html

Well, if you're going to go chambered, there's this one. Which has the two best pickups GFS makes in it. The Soapbar P90 and the VEH 'Diver Down' humbucker.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Warcabbit posted:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/Xaviere-XV-585-Chambered-Mahogany-Carved-Top-Cherry-Mahogany_p_1178.html

Well, if you're going to go chambered, there's this one. Which has the two best pickups GFS makes in it. The Soapbar P90 and the VEH 'Diver Down' humbucker.

Horn status: too pointy. The rest looks cool though, but too bad about that part

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Looks better in person. Sounds better in person too. Horn is a bit pointy, but it lets you get your hand in nice.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I have a question for curiousity's sake about buying/checking out stuff even though I have/will have no money to buy anything. I know the creed of "test before buying" which is sound (It's why I picked the guitar I did) but how general is that motto? What I mean is that if I try a decent quality guitar (Say, a Fender Standard Strat) at one place and like it should I buy that exact guitar or will another one that's cheaper somewhere else (Or online) I can't physically test be just as good with a setup?

If I like a Strat will I like a G&L Legacy Tribute? How far does similarity go?

I ask because using the Strat as an example I can get it from a local place but that'll cost AU$700+ where I can order it online for AU$630 or a Tribute from Musician's Friend for $580. The Tribute's one of the few things MF will ship to Australia it seems, so no cheap Standard for me.

So yeah, what's a general rule if there is one?

PS: Everyone has such nice stuff.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Fender's QC can be... Spotty at times, particularly with the lower end models. I wouldn't necessarily try a guitar and then buy a model online and expect the same thing.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

I have a question for curiousity's sake about buying/checking out stuff even though I have/will have no money to buy anything. I know the creed of "test before buying" which is sound (It's why I picked the guitar I did) but how general is that motto? What I mean is that if I try a decent quality guitar (Say, a Fender Standard Strat) at one place and like it should I buy that exact guitar or will another one that's cheaper somewhere else (Or online) I can't physically test be just as good with a setup?

If I like a Strat will I like a G&L Legacy Tribute? How far does similarity go?

I ask because using the Strat as an example I can get it from a local place but that'll cost AU$700+ where I can order it online for AU$630 or a Tribute from Musician's Friend for $580. The Tribute's one of the few things MF will ship to Australia it seems, so no cheap Standard for me.

So yeah, what's a general rule if there is one?

PS: Everyone has such nice stuff.

I haven't played one myself (I have a USA made G&L) but I've heard nothing but great things about the Tribute line. They use the same pickups as in their more expensive guitars and if you're a strat guy it should be a close match. Leo Fender started G&L and I know plenty of people who would rather have a G&L than a Fender of a similar year.

I know G&L USA's QC is generally considered than Fender USA's at this point, but I don't know about their import lines. Either way buying without playing first is always a bit of a gamble, but really anything that gets through either QC department should at least be fixable and if it's not then probably returnable for it if you go through a reputable dealer and are buying new. Gibson's QC is poo poo don't buy a new Gibson without playing it first ever.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Unless you're willing to do some maintenance or pay for it, play a guitar first.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
The one advantage of buying online other than deals is that whatever you get hasn't been getting abused on the floor of a guitar store.

If there is something physically wrong with what you order, you're going to have to send it back, but it will probably need to be set up after you buy it regardless of where it is from.

I be hesitant to buy an acoustic or used guitar off the internet without playing it, but mass produced electrics will probably be fine. Just check the return policy.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a reason that racing/forest green strat-style guitars are so loving expensive? It turns out I don't like how I hold my LP style guitar and I love the feel of my brother's Fender and I could care less about the hardware, I just really want a deep green strat-style guitar to gently caress around with.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is there a reason that racing/forest green strat-style guitars are so loving expensive? It turns out I don't like how I hold my LP style guitar and I love the feel of my brother's Fender and I could care less about the hardware, I just really want a deep green strat-style guitar to gently caress around with.

You guys are looking at me. Aren't you. Well, the joke's on you. The Xavieres are all out of stock in british racing green.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-870-British-Racing-Green-Maple-Fingerboard_p_1868.html
http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-870-British-Racing-Green-Rosewood-Fingerboard_p_1865.html
I mean, I'm sure they'll come back into stock in time.

Rondo's got nothing.
http://www.rondomusic.com/cgi-rondomusic/sb/productsearch.cgi?search_field=green

Monoprice, which I've never tried? Nothing in green.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=115&cp_id=11501

Squier is surf green with lipsticks.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-vintage-modified-stratocaster-surf-electric-guitar/h78849000003001

Best bet is to wait for Xaviere, I think. Or haunt e-bay.

What's your budget for cheap?

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 9, 2013

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I was fingerblasting one of those surf green strats at a local store, it was pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I was trying to find one earlier today to be all smug and poo poo and say "uh uh bitch they're cheap now" only to find that they haven't made any in a long time and the only green strats like that are super expensive. So yeah I don't know man, maybe just buy a mexi and refinish it after some electronic mods?