Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thrawn200
Dec 13, 2008

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin & Hobbes
Is the speed change noticable on a Droid or is it just a few ms more on some benchmark test?

Been on the fence about rooting mine and/or my wifes Droid since we got them. We're both pretty happy with them as is so I've never gone ahead with it. But I've also never seen or tried a rooted phone in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zamin
Jan 9, 2004
Alright, I feel dumb because of the mistakes I made, but I figured out how to fix it just in case anyone is dumb enough to do what I did.

Mistake 1: I didn't store my contacts to Google, just to Phone.
Mistake 2: I didn't backup my texts.
Mistake 3: I made a backup in Clockwork and then upgraded to a newer version.
Mistake 4: I didn't make a backup in the new version of Clockwork (backups aren't backwards compatible, and probably won't work anyway with a new version of the OS already installed).
Mistake 5: I installed a leaked version of Gingerbread which, in the process, wiped all of my data (contacts, old texts, yada yada).

If you've gotten any texts that you want to save since you wiped, use SMS Backup and Restore to back those up. Then, go into Clockwork, Backup and Restore and then select Advanced Restore. Choose your non-compatible backup file and select to restore the data partition. Reboot your phone and go into Contacts, Menu key, Import/Export, Export to SD Card. Then do the same, but Import from SD Card and select Google or phone (choose Google so you don't have to do this again!). Then go back into SMS Backup and Restore and restore you most recent backup file.

This will give you all of your stuff back. I like having a clean slate and not having to deal with all of the apps and whatnot that I hadn't uninstalled from before all of this mess, so I chose to make a NAND backup before I did all of this and once I backed everything up to Google and backed up all of my restored texts, I just went back to the Clockwork backup and then restored everything.

I hope nobody else is as dumb as me as to need to do this.

zamin fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 31, 2011

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus
(Apologies in advance; I, too, find "zomg, battery!" posts annoying. But I thought this was worth sharing.)

Just want to chime in with my report on the official Gingerbread update for the Droid X. I was running the .595 for almost 2 weeks, so I didn't expect much difference upgrading to .596, which I just installed last night. First thing I noticed: My battery life has gone up considerably. At over 2 hours unplugged, with some light usage, I was still showing 100%. I thought for sure my battery icon in the notification bar was broken, so I checked and yep, 100%.

Throughout the day, I'd say I used my phone moderately (texting, browsing the web, played Starfront for half an hour, took some photos, listened to music); I'm now sitting at almost 10 hours unplugged and it just dropped to 70% battery.

I am running both Juice Defender (free) and SetCPU (300mHz on screen off). But I've been running the same configuration since Froyo and never gotten anywhere near this kind of battery life out of my phone. Screen Brightness at 100% at all times. I've never put much stock in Quadrant scores, but I did run it just to see and I got 1838. Not overclocked.

Boilerplate: YMMV. But color me impressed all around.

Nupraptor fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 31, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Nupraptor, I saw your note about the SetCPU config, but just to confirm the only thing you changed was the version? Same root status, same launcher, same apps, same mods?

I haven't seen a good reason to go from .595 to .596, but better battery life would do it.

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus
Correct, everything exactly the same. I just flashed the deodexed .596 zip using Droid 2 Bootstrapper. I was using the same JD and SetCPU profiles.

I suppose I should have waited a few more days to really stress test the battery, but I was (and still am) very excited about this apparent improvement. The battery has always been satisfactory, making it through my shift with around 30% left, but more is always better.

For the record, I'm using SPB Shell 3D as my launcher, with a Live Wallpaper running in the background (kind of hard to explain, unless you've used it), so I imagine that eats up a few CPU cycles, as well, despite it not showing up on the battery manager.

Nupraptor fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 31, 2011

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Descanting the Insalubrious
Not sure if this belongs in this thread or the app thread, but does anybody know if there is a way to device-level encrypt a droid phone, similar to using truecrypt on a windows system drive? I'm using a Droid X with Liberty installed, if that matters.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Fascinate users, I'm going to be trying Evil Fascination in a few minutes, I have to take my fiancee to work then I'll be flashing it. I'll report back, possibly with screenshots.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

Fascinate users, I'm going to be trying Evil Fascination in a few minutes, I have to take my fiancee to work then I'll be flashing it. I'll report back, possibly with screenshots.

Excellent! I've been thinking about trying it out but the theme looked truly horrid. Looking forward to a goons opinions.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So last week I partitioned my 32GB SD Card to try out the Virus Sense 3.0 ROM. After trying it out for a few days, I switched back to Cyanogen. All well and good, but yesterday half my apps suddenly disappeared, music/ringtones are gone and my SD Card basically does not seem to be working. Any thoughts on how to fix this? I'll be doing a wipe/fix on the SD Card tonight on my computer, hopefully that will fix it.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Codiusprime posted:

Excellent! I've been thinking about trying it out but the theme looked truly horrid. Looking forward to a goons opinions.

The default theme looks like poo poo. However, I opted to run the Gingerbread theme that is now available with 3.6.0, which looks pretty good:

It's snappy and responsive, much more so than the Community ROM. Once the default theme is removed I rather like it. Also, the Gingerbread theme makes the checkmarks and poo poo green again instead of red, which looks godawful.

I'll probably be sticking to this ROM for a while, at least until more progress is made on the CM front.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Duckman2008 posted:

So last week I partitioned my 32GB SD Card to try out the Virus Sense 3.0 ROM. After trying it out for a few days, I switched back to Cyanogen. All well and good, but yesterday half my apps suddenly disappeared, music/ringtones are gone and my SD Card basically does not seem to be working. Any thoughts on how to fix this? I'll be doing a wipe/fix on the SD Card tonight on my computer, hopefully that will fix it.

Along these lines, my 8 GB card is having trouble keeping up lately. I'm sure I could go through and clean things out, but I'm considering just biting the bullet and picking up a larger card for my EVO. Every once in a while people mention class type on these... is there a particular class of card I should look for? I get that higher is better, but do I need a class 10 card, or is 4 good enough?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

brc64 posted:

Along these lines, my 8 GB card is having trouble keeping up lately. I'm sure I could go through and clean things out, but I'm considering just biting the bullet and picking up a larger card for my EVO. Every once in a while people mention class type on these... is there a particular class of card I should look for? I get that higher is better, but do I need a class 10 card, or is 4 good enough?

You only really need anything above a class 2 if you're running a swap partition on your SD card. Even apps2ext ran great on my phone with a class 4 8 GB card. The only thing you'll really notice is transfer times for copying media.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Now all my apps and everything are back, seems to be working fine. It is a mystery...

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

In case anyone else is wondering, the CM nightlies are dead because (as far as I can piece together), some of the hard drives in the build servers are on the verge of dying, so they're waiting for them to die before they replace them.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Casao posted:

In case anyone else is wondering, the CM nightlies are dead because (as far as I can piece together), some of the hard drives in the build servers are on the verge of dying, so they're waiting for them to die before they replace them.

Good info, I was wondering.

For anyone who's jonesing for flashing and has an N1 or G2x, fitsnugly's Gigglebread builds are my go-to. He pulls in commits that haven't been approved yet that he finds interesting but it's just a CM7 nightly aside from that. Once they approved per-app permission management I went to the standard nightlies, but there's something to be said for pulling in some of those commits that are great but for some reason aren't merged right away.

The build right now breaks pinch-to-zoom in the gallery so I wouldn't flash it, but just a future FYI.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Some of those things aren't pulled in right away because they can contain bugs or huge issues.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

Some of those things aren't pulled in right away because they can contain bugs or huge issues.
I was using it for quite awhile and never had an issue with the pulls. It's not like he's grabbing things willy-nilly, just stuff that's been reviewed and is ready to go, and only stuff that seems cool to test out.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

big mean giraffe posted:

They can also not.

It's like, they're an unknown quantity. Spooky, huh?

LastInLine posted:

Good info, I was wondering.

For anyone who's jonesing for flashing and has an N1 or G2x, fitsnugly's Gigglebread builds are my go-to. He pulls in commits that haven't been approved yet that he finds interesting but it's just a CM7 nightly aside from that. Once they approved per-app permission management I went to the standard nightlies, but there's something to be said for pulling in some of those commits that are great but for some reason aren't merged right away.

The build right now breaks pinch-to-zoom in the gallery so I wouldn't flash it, but just a future FYI.

I've been meaning to try Gigglebread on my G2x, maybe I'll get around to it.

Also, my kingdom for MIUI. God I miss it.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Casao posted:

Thank you! I was going to ask but I've put so many stupid questions here I thought it was an issue at my end.

If you have a Galaxy S Vibrant, what's the go-to nightly to use? CM6? CM7? I've read a lot of complaints about the more recent builds.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

They can also not.

Thanks for the contribution :thumbsup: If only he'd posted about a bug in the very post I was replying to...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

Thanks for the contribution :thumbsup: If only he'd posted about a bug in the very post I was replying to...
All the bugs I've come across have been in the regular nightlies, that one included.

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose

Nupraptor posted:

Correct, everything exactly the same. I just flashed the deodexed .596 zip using Droid 2 Bootstrapper. I was using the same JD and SetCPU profiles.

I suppose I should have waited a few more days to really stress test the battery, but I was (and still am) very excited about this apparent improvement. The battery has always been satisfactory, making it through my shift with around 30% left, but more is always better.

For the record, I'm using SPB Shell 3D as my launcher, with a Live Wallpaper running in the background (kind of hard to explain, unless you've used it), so I imagine that eats up a few CPU cycles, as well, despite it not showing up on the battery manager.

Did you have to re-root after flashing to .596? Or is it when a ROM is "deodexed" it means there's already root access? I'm still on Froyo running Fission, I'll have to SBF before I flash to GB right?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Congobongo posted:

Or is it when a ROM is "deodexed" it means there's already root access?
"Deodexed" means that bytecode for stock apps is unoptimized and compressed in their respective .apk archives. This is opposed to "odexed" which most (all?) stock ROMs are, where stock app code is preoptimized and stored separately in .odex files.

Odex ROMs are harder to apply modifications to as modified framework code breaks any optimized bytecode for apps that are dependent on it. They also consume more /system space as the optimized bytecode is uncompressed. However, they consume less /data space since stock app bytecode doesn't need to be written to the dalvik cache.

It's unrelated to rooting.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Casao posted:

So after a day of use, nightly 33 is the best my G2x has ever been.

I haven't had a single incident of sleep death, and I haven't had to pull my battery at all. APN/Data worked, but this was my 3rd CM7 nightly, so I fixed that previously and it stayed fixed.

GPS lock is about my only complaint with this phone right now - it's Samsung levels of slow in Navigation, but it's great in Speedview, so it seems to be something specific to Navi. I'll check out Maps later today.

I haven't used WiFi, so I can't comment on that, but no bouts of lag or touch sensitivity issues. No keyboard lag, either.

The thing is fast, clean, and works well. All in all, I highly recommend Nightly 33.

Edit: IMMEDIATELY after posting this, I go to use my phone for a second and find it's turned itself off sometime in the last minute :negative: Still the first time it happened, and it boots so loving fast, but seriously, G2x? Seriously?
#34 sends my phone into bootloops when I try to turn on wifi. But only sometimes.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
So why hasn't there been a CyanogenMod nightly build in a week?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Congobongo posted:

I'm still on Froyo running Fission, I'll have to SBF before I flash to GB right?
Yes, both official and unofficial paths require Froyo users to start with the official Froyo build.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Xenomorph posted:

So why hasn't there been a CyanogenMod nightly build in a week?

Build server is down due to hard drive issues.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

nimper posted:

Build server is down due to hard drive issues.

Where did you get that info from?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

Where did you get that info from?

https://twitter.com/#!/ChrisSoyars/status/75294198991036416

Google does more than just mobile operating systems!

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

fondue posted:

If you have a Galaxy S Vibrant, what's the go-to nightly to use? CM6? CM7? I've read a lot of complaints about the more recent builds.

http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=vibrantmtd

Nightly 8 is what you want. All subsequent ones have had an in-call audio bug that they've been trying to sort out.

Make sure you follow the xda thread for the latest news.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Penguissimo posted:

Google does more than just mobile operating systems!

It does? Are you sure? How did you use Google to get to that Twitter link?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Xenomorph posted:

It does? Are you sure? How did you use Google to get to that Twitter link?

Probably Bing(R) the decision engine.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Casao posted:

They can also not.

I've been meaning to try Gigglebread on my G2x, maybe I'll get around to it.

Also, my kingdom for MIUI. God I miss it.

You check the MIUI Dev site recently? Test rom for the G2x just got put up so it's getting closer!

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Jewce posted:

You check the MIUI Dev site recently? Test rom for the G2x just got put up so it's getting closer!

The 2x and G2x require slightly different roms, unfortunately, so someone will need to tweak it first. And that looks like it's somebody porting from another device to the 2x, which will be buggy :( Hopefully MIUI.cn picks up on the 2x/G2x soon, though.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Oh, if we're comparing CM7 battery stats:

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

chestnut santabag posted:

Oh, if we're comparing CM7 battery stats:

Do you take your phone out of your pocket?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

travisray2004 posted:

Do you take your phone out of your pocket?

Looks like it was in airplane mode for most of the 5 days. That would sure help.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

nimper posted:

Looks like it was in airplane mode for most of the 5 days. That would sure help.

Yeah, and if you notice, when the signal is back on the graph plummets. Correct me if I'm wrong but this looks more like a problem than anything else. :confused:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

yamdankee posted:

Yeah, and if you notice, when the signal is back on the graph plummets. Correct me if I'm wrong but this looks more like a problem than anything else. :confused:

The graph is over 5 days and that's when he turned data back on. Make the last bit 5 times as wide and it will look like a normal graph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
moved..

deong fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 3, 2011