Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Nope, improvised clubs (trees, girders, limbs) require 2 hands. If mech has a built-in club (hatchet, sword) it only takes one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Hob_Gadling posted:

Nope, improvised clubs (trees, girders, limbs) require 2 hands. If mech has a built-in club (hatchet, sword) it only takes one.

The fact that missiles and DU sabot rounds don't do damage, but a tree does makes the discussion on the last page even more retarded. :saddowns:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Zaodai posted:

The fact that missiles and DU sabot rounds don't do damage, but a tree does makes the discussion on the last page even more retarded. :saddowns:

Hit a modern tank with a WWII-era anti-tank shell and it will just bounce off, leaving perhaps a little dent or scrape. Hit it with a wrecking ball and it won't penetrate either. But it will cause considerable damage by warping the structure, potentially resulting in damage to the treads and transmission, jamming the turret or even wrecking the engine and gun, depending on where you hit.

Same reason why maces and hammers were popular in medieval times. Brute force works if you have enough of it.

Magni fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 4, 2011

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Magni posted:

Hit a modern tank with a WWII-era anti-tank shell and it will just bounce off, leaving perhaps a little dent or scrape. Hit it with a wrecking ball and it won't penetrate either. But it will cause considerable damage by warping the structure, potentially resulting in damage to the treads and transmission, jamming the turret or even wrecking the engine and gun, depending on where you hit.

Same reason why maces and hammers were popular in medieval times. Brute force works if you have enough of it.

Yes, but if you make a mace out of styrofoam, it doesn't matter how hard you swing it because it's going to shatter on impact rather than put force through to the target. A steel girder or something I could see working fine. But a tree? Nah. I call bullshit on a tree being a viable weapon if a mech can shrug off a cruise missile or a modern tank round, or larger bombs. If the mech is so delicate a tree can warp it's internal structure, the impact of large ballistic and missile weapons should do the same even if the armor can allegedly shrug off the explosives. There's still a shitload of kinetic force behind it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

In the 31st century trees have evolved.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Defiance Industries posted:

To hold the birdman aliens. Touche'.

drat you, super-trees! :argh:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Yes, but if you make a mace out of styrofoam, it doesn't matter how hard you swing it because it's going to shatter on impact rather than put force through to the target. A steel girder or something I could see working fine. But a tree? Nah. I call bullshit on a tree being a viable weapon if a mech can shrug off a cruise missile or a modern tank round, or larger bombs. If the mech is so delicate a tree can warp it's internal structure, the impact of large ballistic and missile weapons should do the same even if the armor can allegedly shrug off the explosives. There's still a shitload of kinetic force behind it.

A suitably largee tree is still a ton or so of wood. Yeah, it'll shatter most likely. It's still going to transfer an ungodly amount of force while doing so. Mass is quite the factor here. Compare common modern day anti-tank munitions: A Javelin missile comes in at about 12 kg. A 120mm sabot shell is ~25 kg for the entire shell, with the actual penetrator being quite a bit lighter. 155mm projectiles come in at ~45 kg.

Once you enter stuff like 500-pound bombs and upwards, you have a point, but modern anti-tank munitions are simply too light to be comparable in terms of pure kinetic energy.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Magni posted:

A suitably largee tree is still a ton or so of wood. Yeah, it'll shatter most likely. It's still going to transfer an ungodly amount of force while doing so. Mass is quite the factor here. Compare common modern day anti-tank munitions: A Javelin missile comes in at about 12 kg. A 120mm sabot shell is ~25 kg for the entire shell, with the actual penetrator being quite a bit lighter. 155mm projectiles come in at ~45 kg.

Once you enter stuff like 500-pound bombs and upwards, you have a point, but modern anti-tank munitions are simply too light to be comparable in terms of pure kinetic energy.

Kinetic energy has a v2 component. Assuming a 25kg SABOT round going about 1800 m/s you're looking at 40MJ of energy. A 10 ton tree would need to be moving at almost 100m/s (200mph) to have the same energy (this calculation totally ignores the fact that in battletech the tree would be swung at, not lobbed at, a target).

Basically don't try to use real world physics to explain any of the rule inconsistencies. They are arbitrary in order to keep the game fun to play and the world interesting, not to resemble real life.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
And kinetics are often shaped to form penetrators of material on impact that will concentrate the force over a tiny area.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

And kinetics are often shaped to form penetrators of material on impact that will concentrate the force over a tiny area.

Yes, but so are BattleTech trees. I'm sure it's explained somewhere or other. And every steel girder in every building, even those that don't have steel girders, are required to have a very sharp impact point in case of emergencies.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

goatface posted:

Depleted Uranium is also significantly denser than a tree, which helps it transfer the energy in a more confined, damaging hit than an improvised club.

I didn't mean to derail this back into "the physics are inaccurate, the game is awful!", I just wish they hadn't tried to handwave it by saying all modern technology would be completely ineffective against a 'mech. They tried to apply some cursory logic to it, when the correct answer really was to just tell the people who were arguing how it worked to shut up.

None of it will ever make legitimate sense. It's not a hard science setting. A 'mech is never going to fight a 21st century tank or aircraft (barring something COMPLETELY stupid), so if they just ignored the issue, all would be well. The people arguing modern tech would kick Battletech techs rear end could have physics on their side, and everyone else could just enjoy the story. To then go and make it canon that Battletech tech is somehow universally superior to modern tech on the grounds of "it just doesn't work against us" makes my brain want to eat itself.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Anyone who is treating battletech as hard sci-fi with consistant physics is barking up the wrong mech.

This is a game about bipedal mechs blowing the poo poo out of each other with lasers, missiles, machine guns, bigger machine guns, and sometimes even justice feet. If we really wanted to apply physics to it, the mechs would work due to instability, gravity, just general physics.

So, let's leaf this topic be, oaky?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Look, I can't help it, alright? I'm a physicist, I've got good buddies who've gone into the weapons development biz. Some of the hand-waving just hurts.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

goatface posted:

Look, I can't help it, alright? I'm a physicist, I've got good buddies who've gone into the weapons development biz. Some of the hand-waving just hurts.

I'm a criminology major/history minor, but you don't see me ranting about how loving horrible CSI is, or how ahistorical war games are

(mostly because you don't know me IRL, but I digress)

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'm a criminology major/history minor, but you don't see me ranting about how loving horrible CSI is, or how ahistorical war games are

We simply must talk about how unrealistic the murder of Melissa Steiner-Davion was. I'll post my 300-page analysis

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

VVVV Also not a good line of discussion. The answer is, of course, a Space Marine since they're not even remotely human anymore.
Sorry man, I was trying to make a joke about really dumb derails and it failed to prevent dumb derails.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I can't wait till we face the clans. Easy fights lead to stupid derails. The clans will certainly not be easy.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

KnoxZone posted:

I can't wait till we face the clans. Easy fights lead to stupid derails. The clans will certainly not be easy.

The clans will get steamrolled as easily as the Death Commandos if they continue to make all their rolls.

I haven't given up hope on the Commandos being able to murder the rest of these women and children, though. If you can't win the battle, at least win the war crimes.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
PTN should just have one of them turn round and blow a few buildings.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Zaodai posted:

The clans will get steamrolled as easily as the Death Commandos if they continue to make all their rolls.

I dunno, if you believe PTN...

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh, and because someone asked early, the GDL mission would've been:
(player-controlled Cyclops) must survive 10 turns (partial) or 15 turns (total victory) with the help of a Shadow Hawk, a Warhammer, and something else (I hadn't decided) against a star of heavy/assault weight Clan Omnis (if Widowmaker) or two stars of clan mediums (if Steel Viper), with a random choice of Steel Viper or Widowmaker opponents.

That would have been an incredibly amazing and tense fight till the very end. Even with a lot of cover and luck it would still take one lucky hit and the battle would have been lost.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Honestly, I can't wait until the goons that don't know the boardgame have to face the clan I'mnotspoiling'em in battle.
It will be glorious, and I doubt all the luck in the universe will help them against those murdermachines.
I'll be :munch: and laughing my rear end off when they show up. :D

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I'm sad none of you reacted to my horrible puns.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

KnoxZone posted:

That would have been an incredibly amazing and tense fight till the very end. Even with a lot of cover and luck it would still take one lucky hit and the battle would have been lost.

Oh, I'm not doubting that is what PTN would have actually put them up against. But enough lucky rolls and even the hardest fight doesn't mean poo poo. When you get dice raped, all you can do is lay there and take it. So to speak. Through two missions the Goons have only really suffered 1 bad roll against them and have picked up a good handful in their favor.

Personally I hope that when Goon Company ends up against the Clans, they have to deal with actual initiative rules. That's going to make an enormous difference. Always being on the button (to use poker parlance) makes the game easier to plan around. Going to be one hell of a ride when that happens. Muwahahaha.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
We've yet to touch Battletech's other great sperg magnet: how the population of the Inner Sphere is large enough to easily support armies a few hundred times larger than what we see. :madmax:

(The answers to anyone debating this are "shut up you twats, it's fiction for a game," and "just imagine everything's a few orders of magnitude smaller if it bothers you," in that order.)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
Also: "remember the conventional militias".

Zaodai posted:

If you can't win the battle, at least win the war crimes.
:hitler:

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

DeepThrobble posted:

We've yet to touch Battletech's other great sperg magnet: how the population of the Inner Sphere is large enough to easily support armies a few hundred times larger than what we see. :madmax:

I feel compelled to answer this.

It's a societal elite who fights in mostly ritualized warfare; people on average don't give a flying Capellan who rules them since there's no practical difference; and there's no way to increase the logistic capability anyway. In the few cases something didn't work according to these guidelines it's either a massacre or a complete defeat of military forces.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

radintorov posted:

Honestly, I can't wait until the goons that don't know the boardgame have to face the clan I'mnotspoiling'em in battle.
It will be glorious, and I doubt all the luck in the universe will help them against those murdermachines.
I'll be :munch: and laughing my rear end off when they show up. :D

I have been re-reading the books to see if I could figure out what you guys were talking about because this has been bugging the hell out of me. About 90% sure what you guys are talking about, but I've never played the board game so not completely sure.

Ah hahahaha, so excited!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

Personally I hope that when Goon Company ends up against the Clans, they have to deal with actual initiative rules. That's going to make an enormous difference. Always being on the button (to use poker parlance) makes the game easier to plan around. Going to be one hell of a ride when that happens. Muwahahaha.

'Ace' isn't the only initiative-fuckery rule I've got at my disposal. Actually, it's the weakest of them.

Example:

Seize the Initiative (Clan): Whenever a player unit is destroyed, all Clan units automatically win initiative. Clan forces may not Seize the Initiative on two consecutive turns.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

While I've not been piloting, I think it's great that PTN has been going easy on the thread so far for the newbies, and giving us initiative seems to be an excellent way to really allow discussion and analysis of what people should be doing and why.

I look forward to seeing all the tricks the Clans and our Gamemaster have up their sleeves in their cooling-vest pockets for us. :downsrim:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

'Ace' isn't the only initiative-fuckery rule I've got at my disposal. Actually, it's the weakest of them.

Example:

Seize the Initiative (Clan): Whenever a player unit is destroyed, all Clan units automatically win initiative. Clan forces may not Seize the Initiative on two consecutive turns.

Speaking of overrun combat and unit special abilities, do the 2nd Donegal get off-map movement and initiative banking? I gotta know for when I hype them up.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Man, I can't wait til I see how my field goal attempt did.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
I created my account because of this thread (insert sarcastic "good for you" if one does desire). If there is still space, sign me up as a mech pilot. I haven't bought the platinum upgrade, so here's an email for getting in touch with me: email address is gone now.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 24, 2011

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

Hob_Gadling posted:

I feel compelled to answer this.
I'm not going to argue the point, because it's nothing that wasn't annoyingly done to death in a bunch of threads on Catalyst's official forum archives that I never cared to get involved in. It's the simplest solution. FASA had minimal interest in fact checking or coherency, and Catalyst will never print anything as detailed as the factory lists in Objective Raids or the unit upgrades in FM Updates again precisely so they don't tie their hands and have people obsessing over the most insignificant of details. Even if they recruited a few members of their factchecking them that way. :v:

Arquinsiel posted:

Also: "remember the conventional militias".
Great point, but it works even better when you shave off a few zeros to get in the ballpark.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Easiest assumption for details you don't like:

It's all exaggerated to look good on an episode of Royal's Pride, the in-universe soap opera that gets everything wrong.

Don't like a book? It was an episode of Royal's Pride.
Don't like information about a 'Mech? It was made up for Royal's Pride.
Don't like information about a nation's military? It was made up for Royal's Pride.
Don't like a Mary Sue character? They were invented for Royal's Pride.
Don't like the Clans/Jihad/War of 3039? It was made up to make Royal's Pride more interesting.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Defiance Industries posted:

Oh, that's beautiful.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'm sad none of you reacted to my horrible puns.

We're waiting for your horrible punt of the srm carrier instead.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Easiest assumption for details you don't like:

It's all exaggerated to look good on an episode of Royal's Pride, the in-universe soap opera that gets everything wrong.

Don't like a book? It was an episode of Royal's Pride.
Don't like information about a 'Mech? It was made up for Royal's Pride.
Don't like information about a nation's military? It was made up for Royal's Pride.
Don't like a Mary Sue character? They were invented for Royal's Pride.
Don't like the Clans/Jihad/War of 3039? It was made up to make Royal's Pride more interesting.

Also, on anything from before 3052:

ComStar done hosed UP.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

DeepThrobble posted:

Great point, but it works even better when you shave off a few zeros to get in the ballpark.
It's just one of the standards thrown around on the CBT forums too.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

PoptartsNinja posted:

Example:

The Clans are going to teach us the new meaning of hate, aren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's something they probably would do every turn in a row if they abandoned zellbriggen and you allowed it.

• Locked thread