Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

New York Times posted:

In the 1950s, Leica rose to fame when it introduced the M-System camera, its first so-called range finder body with an interchangeable lens mount.

Yeah, screw the screw mount!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
One area where mirrorless kicks butt is shutter lag. DSLRs have longer shutter lag because they have a lot more parts flapping around before the camera records an image. I really noticed it when I went from a Canon DSLR to a NEX. The NEX had almost no lag so there was less anticipating the shot and more of taking the shot when it happened which was great for stuff like catching people jumping or whatever.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

HPL posted:

One area where mirrorless kicks butt is shutter lag. DSLRs have longer shutter lag because they have a lot more parts flapping around before the camera records an image. I really noticed it when I went from a Canon DSLR to a NEX. The NEX had almost no lag so there was less anticipating the shot and more of taking the shot when it happened which was great for stuff like catching people jumping or whatever.

That's not really true. Mirrorless bodies are getting better but generally speaking DSLRs have and continue to outperform it. For example the GF3 had a full-AF shot time of 0.312 seconds, a Canon 40D had a full-AF shot time of 0.128 seconds. The GF5 is 0.180 seconds, the OM-D is 0.175 seconds, a 7D is 0.131 seconds, a NEX-5N is 0.235 seconds (actually fairly bad).

One reason the NEX achieves a pretty good prefocused time (compared to its full-AF cycle time) is that it has an electronic first-curtain shutter, which puts it ahead of even big boys like a 7D (22 ms vs 61 ms). That's not a feature shared in many other mirrorless bodies yet, and it tends to be an afterthought even on a DSLR (it's Canon's Silent Mode 1, with a prefocused lag of 202 ms on the 7D).

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Blah blah blah numbers. I'm going by real world experience shooting events with both a 40D and 5N. If you're trying to get photos of jumps, head bangs, kicks or other such "wait for it... Wait for it..." type of moments, the electronic first shutter of the NEX is a huge advantage. It's the difference between trying to press the shutter button before something actually happens versus pressing it when it actually happens which is a big thing when there are no do-overs.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If you're pre-focused, sure, but the point is for most people it's not realistic to count shutter lag without factoring in AF time.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That and it's not applicable to all mirrorless cameras, which is what you suggested in your original post. So, blah blah blah, broad generalization from specific example, blah blah. NEX cameras with electronic first curtain shutter kick everything's butt in prefocused shutter delay, but other MILCs are pretty similar, and DSLRs tend to be faster if you include focus time. And shutter lag is a very measurable thing so it's not like adding numbers to the discussion is somehow unwarranted and less useful than your real world experience.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Why not consider both pre-focused times and full AF times?

Were those times from imaging-resource.com? How does that dude even calculate them? And doesn't AF speed change depending on speed of the lens' AF motor, making them not exactly comparable across brands?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think that's the more important point—they both matter and how much they matter depends on what you're shooting and how you shoot it. I'm guessing those numbers are from imaging-resource and they usually use the kit lens for AF speed stuff. Ideally you'd be able to see the numbers with the lens you want to use, but even without it I think it's an OK basis for comparison.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
So far, I'm quite pleased with the XF 55-200. Focusing is pretty snappy and it's pretty sharp with decent bokeh.
It's heavy for an XF lens, but I used to tote around a 5D2 with 70-200/2.8L so it's like a feather compared to that.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

RustedChrome posted:

So far, I'm quite pleased with the XF 55-200. Focusing is pretty snappy and it's pretty sharp with decent bokeh.
It's heavy for an XF lens, but I used to tote around a 5D2 with 70-200/2.8L so it's like a feather compared to that.

Those are some great photos for a telephoto lens of that price range, that's really impressive to me. Does the lack of a real grip on the X-Pro start bothering you with this lens on?

Also, god drat this "Ken Burns" panning instead of true full-screen for Flickr is loving stupid.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Costello Jello posted:

Those are some great photos for a telephoto lens of that price range, that's really impressive to me. Does the lack of a real grip on the X-Pro start bothering you with this lens on?

Also, god drat this "Ken Burns" panning instead of true full-screen for Flickr is loving stupid.

Thanks. Once, I learned to support the weight with my left hand cupping the lens, the system seemed perfectly balanced and I didn't need such a tight grip with my right hand. I have a leather half case on my X-Pro that provides a bit more to hang on to when I need it.

And yes, Flickr: two steps forward, one step back.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Wow those are some great shots. I foresee a 55-200 in my near future...

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

How does it handle bokeh with something tricky like tree leaves? I was set on getting a Tokina 90mm to play with, but that first picture looks really nice.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

RustedChrome posted:

Lovely photo. Was this shot wide open? Is this more-or-less straight out of the camera, or did you need to do a meaningful amount of post processing?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

While we're on Fujichat, has anyone had some hands-on with the 60mm macro? I'm not sure if I want the 55-200 next or the macro. Obviously they don't cover the same roles but I can't buy both just yet.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah I think I will get the XF 55-200 next too. After playing with the Nikon 180/2.8 AIS and Canon 70-200mm f/4, I am convinced these FF top tier telephoto lens are too heavy and bulky for my recreational use. The 55-200mm pretty much is my only tele option at this point. For ultra wide options there are about a 3-4 good ones so I will wait till next year.

I am getting rip of most of my non Fuji gears too. I am quite content with the thought that the until FF mirrorless body is affordable to me 4 years down the road, I will be rolling with Fuji gears only. The only thing I can't let go is a Nikon FM2n and a 28/2.8 AIS lens. I don't even shoot film anymore but I would like to pretend one day I will. :angel:

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Helicity posted:

How does it handle bokeh with something tricky like tree leaves? I was set on getting a Tokina 90mm to play with, but that first picture looks really nice.

In the second pic, the bird, you can get a little idea. I never saw any ugly bokeh from the lens so far.

"[b posted:

Bob Socko[/b]"]Lovely photo. Was this shot wide open? Is this more-or-less straight out of the camera, or did you need to do a meaningful amount of post processing?
I shoot raw and, with the X-Pro 1, I usually only adjust the exposure a little and sharpen a bit. If the file looks too flat I boost the saturation as needed. Honestly, the files are probably close to fine out of the camera. I didn't spend more than a minute working on any of those shots.

"[b posted:

Digital Jesus[/b]"]While we're on Fujichat, has anyone had some hands-on with the 60mm macro? I'm not sure if I want the 55-200 next or the macro. Obviously they don't cover the same roles but I can't buy both just yet.
I have both. The 60mm is probably the sharpest XF lens I own but, being a macro, the focus is purposely slow. It can be trying to use it as a telephoto, especially on moving subjects. I think that's true of almost any dedicated macro lens. For it's intended use, it's awesome. It's great for portraits too.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

What's the consensus on the Fuji 14mm? Thinking I need to be a little wider than I can get with the 18-55 and it's either the 14 or wait for the 10-24.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
So, I have zero experience with digital and don't want to spend much. I'm actually looking at that nex-3 with the broken screen on the sales thread for an cheap start into digital (Just waiting for a quote on the shipping actually). I plan on using exclusively the old manual lenses that I have right now and might acquire in the future. How is shooting on one of those cameras with an adapted/manual lenses? Is focusing just based on screen sharpness (think matte glass) or are there nifty cool digital tricks I don't know that exist that help with that?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Oh, you're gonna love focus peaking. Nex cameras will highlight the areas of highest contrast so you can tell, at a glance, what is or isn't in focus. You can also zoom in on the live-view image to fine tune your focus. It's really one of the killer features of the line.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Bob Socko posted:

Oh, you're gonna love focus peaking. Nex cameras will highlight the areas of highest contrast so you can tell, at a glance, what is or isn't in focus. You can also zoom in on the live-view image to fine tune your focus. It's really one of the killer features of the line.

Focus Peaking is great, but I don't know how well it'll work with a cracked LCD, and you can't even get the external viewfinder on that particular version of the NEX3.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

You can get replacement screens for 30 or 40 bucks on ebay last time I checked though, if you're technically inclined.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Mr. Despair posted:

You can get replacement screens for 30 or 40 bucks on ebay last time I checked though, if you're technically inclined.

Yep, that's the plan for the near future. Good to hear they are good for focusing, I'll just wait on the seller to give me the full price now them.

Primo Itch fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 12, 2013

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Digital Jesus posted:

While we're on Fujichat, has anyone had some hands-on with the 60mm macro? I'm not sure if I want the 55-200 next or the macro. Obviously they don't cover the same roles but I can't buy both just yet.

The 60mm is chart-busting sharp and pretty small but the autofocus can be frustrating. There will likely be a glut of them as we start seeing more on the 56mm f/1.2. When the 56 was a 1.4 the mockup prototypes were pretty sizable so if size is a factor for you the 60mm might make you happy. Maybe rent one and see?

Aargh posted:

What's the consensus on the Fuji 14mm? Thinking I need to be a little wider than I can get with the 18-55 and it's either the 14 or wait for the 10-24.

I think it's the XF flagship with the MF clutch and optically corrected distortion. It vignettes like crazy but it's worth a lot more than what they're asking for it.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

ThisQuietReverie posted:

The 60mm is chart-busting sharp and pretty small but the autofocus can be frustrating. There will likely be a glut of them as we start seeing more on the 56mm f/1.2. When the 56 was a 1.4 the mockup prototypes were pretty sizable so if size is a factor for you the 60mm might make you happy. Maybe rent one and see?

Would that I could. Lens rental doesn't seem to be much of a thing in Australia, and the few sites that do it only really offer Canon/Nikon gear. I will no doubt want the 56 1.2 as well so I might just get the telephoto for now.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Aargh posted:

You might want to consider the Cosina-Voigtlander 15mm. Even with the adapter, it's the smallest lens I have at the moment. Incredibly sharp wide open (4.5) and you don't even really need to focus, so the auto focus isn't missed. Rent one for a weekend or something and see if you like it. I got mine used from KEH for half the price of the Fuji 14 and don't regret it at all.

edit: I know it's all about IQ and not looks, but you can't say this isn't a sexy combo

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 12, 2013

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Bob Socko posted:

It's not necessarily very accurate though, sometimes it's a choice between highlighting almost nothing and highlighting stuff that isn't in focus at all.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a good guide to shimming lens adapters?

I got a cheapo chinese eBay Konica AR->E adapter for my NEX, and my Konica 40 1.8 focuses JUST past infinity. I guess I can shim it up with tinfoil but I have no idea how to determine how much I need or how to best go about measuring.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Martytoof posted:

I got a cheapo chinese eBay Konica AR->E adapter for my NEX, and my Konica 40 1.8 focuses JUST past infinity. I guess I can shim it up with tinfoil but I have no idea how to determine how much I need or how to best go about measuring.

Doesn't it goes even more beyond infinity?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It does go beyond infinity which is why I want to shim it up which apparently fixes this problem.

It goes so far beyond infinity that it sees back through time.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Martytoof posted:

It does go beyond infinity which is why I want to shim it up which apparently fixes this problem.

Yeah but it's all blurry and out of focus anyways still.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Martytoof posted:

Haven't tried it yet, but I found this while looking a few weeks ago:

http://www.rokkorphile.com/2013/01/shimming-adapters-for-accurate-infinite.html

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looks decent. I'll give it a try this week :)

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Martytoof posted:

Looks decent. I'll give it a try this week :)

Please report back - I'd love to know how effective it was.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Martytoof posted:

Just be careful, you are dealing with forces you cannot understand.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

When this baby goes beyond 88mm, you're gonna see some serious poo poo.

Meanie
Jul 2, 2007
So MY GF wants to get into photography...
I'm from Brazil and poo poo here is very expensive.

A retailer has the Sony NEX F3 with the 18-55mm lens on a very huge sale for the princely sum of something around 300 dollars.
Would that be a good beginner choice?

Anything else (entry level DSLRs) is really 3-5 times more expensive at least.
Are they 3-5 times better?

Just a couple of names off the top of my head for you guys to get an idea about what I've been keeping my eye on lately:
Nikon D7000
Canon EOS 5D (quite the expensive one)

Am I wrong in understanding that the NEX F3 has a pretty kickass sensor (specially when you consider it's price) and one can easily and cheaply (compared to almost every other non-mirrorless cameras) buy, adapt and use other lenses with it?

Are the manual settings good enough to allow for some serious learning and adjustments?

I think that's the gist of it.
Fellow goons, please do help me. :(

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Meanie posted:

So MY GF wants to get into photography...
I'm from Brazil and poo poo here is very expensive.

A retailer has the Sony NEX F3 with the 18-55mm lens on a very huge sale for the princely sum of something around 300 dollars.
Would that be a good beginner choice?

Anything else (entry level DSLRs) is really 3-5 times more expensive at least.
Are they 3-5 times better?

Just a couple of names off the top of my head for you guys to get an idea about what I've been keeping my eye on lately:
Nikon D7000
Canon EOS 5D (quite the expensive one)

Am I wrong in understanding that the NEX F3 has a pretty kickass sensor (specially when you consider it's price) and one can easily and cheaply (compared to almost every other non-mirrorless cameras) buy, adapt and use other lenses with it?

Are the manual settings good enough to allow for some serious learning and adjustments?

I think that's the gist of it.
Fellow goons, please do help me. :(

The NEX-f3 is the current low end NEX camera, $300 bucks for one with the lens is an amazing deal. They go for more than that used here in the US still. The 5D is by far the oldest camera in that list, but is also the cheapest full frame camera you can probably fine. Probably overkill for a beginner, and definitely a bad choice if you want to shoot low light stuff (where either the nex or the nikon would out do it). The d7000 is also still a great camera, but it's much bigger and bulkier and probably doesn't have any better image quality than the nex.

People complain about the nex a lot because it holds your hands a lot (I think my friends -c3 came with one of the function keys on the back set by default to "help"), but it's not going to really hurt you once you get used to it.

It's also really easy to adapt lenses to the -f3, it's got focus peaking and all that.

I'd go for it. Hell, if I saw a nex-f3 in the store here on clearance for 300 I'd probably buy it just to flip for a profit on amazon.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
A friend of mine wants to get a camera primarily for shooting in concerts, so moderate subject movement and possibly some photographer movement, both stills and videos. It looks like these mirrorless interchangeable lens systems are the middle of the road between point and shoots and a full DSLR, with a budget of $300-500 does this make sense or is she better off looking elsewhere? I'm seeing a used panasonic G1 with a 15-45mm lens for $250, would that be a good deal along with getting a 55-200 (or similar) lens for shooting far away things, or would this perform horribly in a high movement, likely lovely lighting concert setting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Brut posted:

A friend of mine wants to get a camera primarily for shooting in concerts, so moderate subject movement and possibly some photographer movement, both stills and videos. It looks like these mirrorless interchangeable lens systems are the middle of the road between point and shoots and a full DSLR, with a budget of $300-500 does this make sense or is she better off looking elsewhere? I'm seeing a used panasonic G1 with a 15-45mm lens for $250, would that be a good deal along with getting a 55-200 (or similar) lens for shooting far away things, or would this perform horribly in a high movement, likely lovely lighting concert setting?

Concerts is very demanding to hardware, you might want to double the budget first or find a more budget friendly type of photography.

And mirrorless systems don't really offer cheaper large sensor body or fast lens.