Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Walmart brand cheese (/dairy in general) is pretty good IMO. You can get Great Value whole milk mozzarella in low and not-low moisture blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

bees x1000 posted:

Walmart brand cheese (/dairy in general) is pretty good IMO. You can get Great Value whole milk mozzarella in low and not-low moisture blocks.

Yeah, if you have to buy from chain supermarkets it can be surprisingly hard to find whole milk and low moisture together. Walmart pretty consistently has it available but I've noticed that some locations don't carry the whole milk kind, only part skim. It's cheap and plentiful though, last time I went I bought like 5 pounds worth of blocks.

Every Trader Joe's I've been to also sells whole milk, low moisture mozz by the pound. It's a little more expensive but I assume better quality than the Walmart stuff. That being said, I have absolutely no problem with the Great Value stuff, it all tastes great once it's melted on a pizza.

I also put parmesan on every single pizza I make, usually a little bit both under the mozz and then sprinkled on the top. Quality doesn't really seem to be super important for this either, you can use nicer aged parm if you really want the funky flavor to come through but I usually use cheap Aldi parm or whatever just to boost the cheesiness. Trader Joe's also sells good parm of various quality levels. I don't think Walmart sells it in blocks though? I've only seen pre-shredded there.

Ror fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 29, 2022

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Safeway always has low moisture whole milk mozzarella in little vacuum sealed logs in the cheese case. I can’t imagine they’re heads and shoulders above anyone else’s grocery store.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Yeah those Safeway/Walmart/TJs/major chain low moisture whole milk mozz 1 lb rounded blocks are all roughly the same in quality IME. Wouldn't be surprised if in some cases it's the same factory producing the cheeses for multiple stores/brands.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I have yet to come across a block of mozz that is both whole milk and low moisture in the dairy section of grocery stores I frequent. I appreciate the suggestions, gonna pester the guys at the deli counter for some cheese next time!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

At least here they’re right next to each other and the skim and whole milk labels aren’t that different.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Mine comes in cylinders, and in dire situations there's frequently string cheese that meets the bill

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chemmy posted:

Safeway always has low moisture whole milk mozzarella in little vacuum sealed logs in the cheese case. I can’t imagine they’re heads and shoulders above anyone else’s grocery store.

The generic Safeway cheese here is terrible and very salty, but I am guessing that the US Safeway get different cheese. I go and buy like 8# blocks of cheese from a restaurant supply store and it made all the difference.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
If you see a brand called Bel Gioso, their whole milk mozz is what I used for a long time. It was in most grocery stores and consistent quality. Another brand you miiiiight see in the stores is Galbani, which a lot of restaurants use too. Finding the right cheese that works in your oven is a journey.

Made my best pan pizza yet last night. Half mozz and red sauce, half beer cheese with beer braised short rib and a little mozz. I did a same day dough that had been proofing for the better part of 10 hours, it baked really nicely and was just perfectly crispy on the bottom.

I did a cheese edge on two sides, and left two sides to be dough edges, gives some fun options.
The short rib and beer cheese was stupid good.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

“Why are you making all that racket, honey?

I have to hoot and holler, dear, ogopogo is popping off in the pizza thread again.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
If you're struggling to find low moisture mozz, drain and coarsely shred regular mozz, then toss it in a salad spinner and go to town on it. To get it even drier leave it in the spinner in the fridge overnight before use. I've had good results doing this.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
ok so wtf is a Columbus style pizza?

https://614now.com/2022/food-drink/new-dublin-pizzeria-featuring-columbus-and-new-york-style-pies-opening-this-week

quote:

Can’t decide on whether you want to opt for some Columbus pizza versus a New York-style pie?

Well, now you don’t have to. Black Dog Pizzeria, a brand new Dublin-based pizza concept will specialize in both varieties, according to co-owner Jessica Hellaine. And if you want even more good news, here it is: The new spot plans to hold the grand opening of its first-ever restaurant on July 8.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I have a feeling it's the one where they put cold shredded cheese onto it after it comes out of the oven.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Apparently it's a super-thin cracker crust that's topped all the way to the sides.

If I hadn't looked it up, I would have assumed the difference was using ketchup as the sauce.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

LifeSunDeath posted:

ok so wtf is a Columbus style pizza?

You know Skyline Chili?

Just imagine that on top of a pizza crust :v:

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Finally got the loving Detroit style pizza figured out.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ogopogo posted:

Thanks y’all for the support and kind words!

Had a little beer and pizza collaboration event with Revision Brewing last night, super fun.

Sourdough beer crust with beer braised short ribs, mushrooms, beer cheese, pickled red onions, chives, and a saba swirl.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

How long are you proofing your dough for? if it's really sticky and prone to holes it might be overproofed (or you could try lowering the hydration if that's an option)

edit: made some over the weekend

chorizo

spicy sopressa

chilli & fennel salami

I need all of this in my mouth. ASAP.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

ogopogo posted:

Pics of a million delicious pies

When does your place open and what's its name? I'm planning a Vegas trip in the fall.

... You're in Vegas, right? Someone here is

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Happiness Commando posted:

When does your place open and what's its name? I'm planning a Vegas trip in the fall.

... You're in Vegas, right? Someone here is

Yukon Pizza is our name, and we’re open currently at a shared kitchen space in Las Vegas while our brick and mortar is under construction - fingers crossed we open end of October :)
Always happy to feed goons! I’ve had one goon who was visiting Vegas come and play a DJ set in front of my oven while we made pizzas.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

ogopogo posted:

Finally got the loving Detroit style pizza figured out.

gently caress yes. i'd eat the ever living poo poo out of this

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have a few questions:

multiple times, I've used the flour water salt yeast pizza recipe. I have tried AP flour and bread flour. I realise it says to use 00 flour. I don't have a pizza stone so I stick to the Cast Iron Pan recipes. It says to put the cast iron pan in cold. My pizza just generally ends up really chewy rather than crispy. The exact same dough makes killer foccacias that I am proud of.

I don't want to spend money on something like this right now (a pizza stone and a peel) but I WOULD like to make better pizza. I DO have this: https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Reversible-Griddle-Combo-Double-Sided/dp/B002CMLTXG . Would that work at all?

so I suppose my questions are:

1: what is a good pizza dough recipe that I can make a pizza with, on either the cast iron griddle, or in a cookie sheet, or in my cast iron pan? If that doesn't exist I'll abandon making pizzas for now.
2: what should I make my pizzas in, of the stuff I have? My oven is capable of 530 degrees.

Any other advice?

edit: I suppose I could use the back of a cookie sheet as a lovely peel, assemble the pizza on it, open the oven and put it on the lodge cast iron griddle's flat part?

redreader fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 15, 2022

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I can't answer your specific questions but I would say when you decide to buy a stone, don't. Buy a steel instead. I used a stone for years before buying this and it was a massive step up for my kitchen oven pizzas.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
you can definitely make a good cast iron pizza

https://www.seriouseats.com/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe

imo i didnt have a ton of luck with FWSY, i think i'm just not used to putting that much effort into bread or pizza.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

That griddle thing or your cast iron pan should work fine, as long as you get them hot first. None of this cold pan poo poo.

If you’re using the griddle, you can assemble on parchment paper to make getting them in/out of the oven easier. If pan I’d just assemble in the (hot) cast iron pan.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the replies. I'll try using my griddle next time, and put it in the oven to pre-heat.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

redreader posted:

I have a few questions:

multiple times, I've used the flour water salt yeast pizza recipe. I have tried AP flour and bread flour. I realise it says to use 00 flour. I don't have a pizza stone so I stick to the Cast Iron Pan recipes. It says to put the cast iron pan in cold. My pizza just generally ends up really chewy rather than crispy. The exact same dough makes killer foccacias that I am proud of.

I don't want to spend money on something like this right now (a pizza stone and a peel) but I WOULD like to make better pizza. I DO have this: https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Reversible-Griddle-Combo-Double-Sided/dp/B002CMLTXG . Would that work at all?

so I suppose my questions are:

1: what is a good pizza dough recipe that I can make a pizza with, on either the cast iron griddle, or in a cookie sheet, or in my cast iron pan? If that doesn't exist I'll abandon making pizzas for now.
2: what should I make my pizzas in, of the stuff I have? My oven is capable of 530 degrees.

Any other advice?

edit: I suppose I could use the back of a cookie sheet as a lovely peel, assemble the pizza on it, open the oven and put it on the lodge cast iron griddle's flat part?

If your oven has a broiler (and you feel like fiddling around) you could try throwing the stretched dough onto a stovetop heated pan/griddle first (3 minutes or so on medium/medium high with sauce but no cheese), topping with cheese then transferring it to the broiler for a bit

nb: video is in italian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtggXi41_yM

full disclosure I haven't tried this method myself but I've seen a few people do it and the results look pretty good

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

If your oven has a broiler (and you feel like fiddling around) you could try throwing the stretched dough onto a stovetop heated pan/griddle first (3 minutes or so on medium/medium high with sauce but no cheese), topping with cheese then transferring it to the broiler for a bit

nb: video is in italian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtggXi41_yM

full disclosure I haven't tried this method myself but I've seen a few people do it and the results look pretty good

I've done this with my cast iron and it works pretty well. You can just stick the cast iron pan into the broiler with the pizza too. You just need to figure out just how long it's going to take on your range with your pan of choice. That three minutes is really dependent on how hot your range is set and I go closer to 4-5 minutes to make sure the crust is cooked right on the bottom. It wont' really cook much further on the bottom under the broiler.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

your griddle should work fine, i used to make pizzas on the bottom of an upside down cast iron pan preheated in the oven. you can also try heating the assembled pizza and pan on the stove a bit before throwing them in the oven and baking as usual

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I rent and my oven died, the burners still work, and they've yet to fix it after weeks, so I started cooking frozen pizzas in a pan and sort of steaming the top...it's been interesting, not bad at all. Anyway, that's all the pizza news I have.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

bees x1000 posted:

I can't answer your specific questions but I would say when you decide to buy a stone, don't. Buy a steel instead. I used a stone for years before buying this and it was a massive step up for my kitchen oven pizzas.

This, 100%. I went through about 5 stones over the past few years before sucking it up and getting a steel, and I completely regret not getting one sooner.
A. the steel won't break
B. the quality of the pie you get out of it is so much better than a stone imo

If you're gonna keep doing cast iron pan pies (which are delicious), I've found that if the crust/edge and bottom of the pie isn't totally cooked, despite the cheese being properly melted, toss it on a stovetop burner on high for a few minutes to crisp up the underside of the pie.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Ok this is a wild one but hear me out:

I've got a sage bush that has gone feral in the recent high temps so I was looking for an excuse to use some fresh leaves. In the North of Italy a classic pasta recipe is burro salvia, those two ingredients gently cooked until they have a butter foams and the sage leaves start to curl, pasta added and serve. In the Belluno region sometimes they go a bit further and add Bovis, a marmite like paste produced from yeast left over from the local brewery, the birreria pedavena. Bovis is much stronger than marmite, it's darker in colour and has a richer, more savory umami to it than marmite. It goes about twice as far when spread thinly on toast and it's a huge flavour enhancer when stirred into the butter for burro salvia.

The Pedavena: Margherita with a butter sage and Bovis reduction.

I added sage leaves instead of Basil to a regular margherita and topped it off with a couple of tablespoons of the sauce as prepared when making it for pasta.

It was amazing. Huge umami flavours cut through with the earthy,. sharp notes of fresh sage.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

StarkingBarfish posted:

Ok this is a wild one but hear me out:

I've got a sage bush that has gone feral in the recent high temps so I was looking for an excuse to use some fresh leaves. In the North of Italy a classic pasta recipe is burro salvia, those two ingredients gently cooked until they have a butter foams and the sage leaves start to curl, pasta added and serve. In the Belluno region sometimes they go a bit further and add Bovis, a marmite like paste produced from yeast left over from the local brewery, the birreria pedavena. Bovis is much stronger than marmite, it's darker in colour and has a richer, more savory umami to it than marmite. It goes about twice as far when spread thinly on toast and it's a huge flavour enhancer when stirred into the butter for burro salvia.

The Pedavena: Margherita with a butter sage and Bovis reduction.

I added sage leaves instead of Basil to a regular margherita and topped it off with a couple of tablespoons of the sauce as prepared when making it for pasta.

It was amazing. Huge umami flavours cut through with the earthy,. sharp notes of fresh sage.

This is me, responding with a somewhat lewd comment about how I want to eat that pizza and maybe introduce it to my parents next holiday.

That sounds amazing.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
You could probably put mozz in a tofu press.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

bees x1000 posted:

including shipping, that would cost me €110 and I am seriously considering buying it. Would it greatly reduce the cooking time of the pizza?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
You might be able to source a steel disk from a shop much closer to you that would be much cheaper.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

including shipping, that would cost me €110 and I am seriously considering buying it. Would it greatly reduce the cooking time of the pizza?

For me the difference between a stone and a steel was night and day. Quicker cooks, better crust.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Definitely get a steel unless you're really scrimping, I've used the same one for like 12 years or something and it absolutely rules

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

You might be able to source a steel disk from a shop much closer to you that would be much cheaper.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Find a machine shop near you. Ask for 5/16" (or similar) A36 HRPO (or similar) in the proper dimensions. Save a bunch of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Happiness Commando posted:

Find a machine shop near you. Ask for 5/16" (or similar) A36 HRPO (or similar) in the proper dimensions. Save a bunch of money.

I'll ask them to round the corners and put on handles while at it :P
You know, it is easier to give Bezos more of my money