Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

This girl needs therapy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm still on Winter 1, but I just wanted to say that I'm just now realizing how god drat fantastic this game's soundtrack is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ezfsJ4-Lw

Regular ambience music in a farming simulator shouldn't be this evocative :argh:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Its makes me think I'm farming on the moon. Which I'd also be okay with.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Back when I was a kid and renting harvest moon 64 from the local video rental/arcade/gas station place, my mom was convinced the title meant that it was a farming game set on the moon. That's my story, hope you liked it.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

inthesto posted:

I'm still on Winter 1, but I just wanted to say that I'm just now realizing how god drat fantastic this game's soundtrack is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ezfsJ4-Lw

Regular ambience music in a farming simulator shouldn't be this evocative :argh:
It's even more impressive when you remember it is programmer music. ConcernedApe is too talented. I bet he is getting job offers like crazy.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Digirat posted:

I got fuckin rejected at the flower dance

everyone gets fuckin rejected at the flower dance :smith::hf::smith:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Any tips on the best pathing material? I tried the basic wood path as a temporary option but it looks pretty ugly at a 2 wide path. Do cobblestones tesselate well?

I just want a nice big solid runway down the middle of my property.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

puschel posted:

I'm experiencing those weird frame drops, anyone else in the same boat? Basicly the game runs at 60 fps, but from time to time it drops to exactly 42 and stays there. The game then feels really slugish und slow until it goes back to 60 FPS. I've got an i5/r9 280, which I assume would be more than enough.

I getting crazy framedrops if I use Borderless Windowed... but only on my second monitor :v: If I set it to "fullscreen" it runs smoothly however. Have you tried switching between windowed/borderless/fullscreen to see if it makes a difference?

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

In 1.04 I am getting a bug where several of the ten heart events would not trigger even though I met all conditions, was going to the right places right time. Has concerned ape said anywhere that this is a known bug he's working on / might get fixed next patch?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Someone Awful! posted:

everyone gets fuckin rejected at the flower dance :smith::hf::smith:

This might be a given seeing as it's been standard Harvest Moon stuff, but you DO get heart points for each day you talk to someone, not just giving them gifts twice a week. You can spot this if you pay attention to the order people appear in on the social tab. If you have two people with roughly similar affection, if you talk to the bottom one they'll often climb on the list, and occasionally it might be just the extra push you need to get an extra heart, even if you already gave them both two gifts earlier in the week.

I wouldn't bother trying to talk to everyone every single day just for the minor boost in affection, that would be a waste of valuable time, but if you're trying to get along with a specific person talking to them every day will speed up the process a little.

I'm not sure you can get anyone but Haley for the first flower dance even with that though, seeing as the boost from giving her a birthday present is more or less mandatory.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 5, 2016

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

AG3 posted:

This might be a given seeing as it's been standard Harvest Moon stuff, but you DO get heart points for each day you talk to someone, not just giving them gifts twice a week. You can spot this if you pay attention to the order people appear in on the social tab. If you have two people with roughly similar affection, if you talk to the bottom one they'll often climb on the list, and occasionally it might be just the extra push you need to get an extra heart, even if you already gave them both two gifts earlier in the week.

I wouldn't bother trying to talk to everyone every single day just for the minor boost in affection, that would be a waste of valuable time, but if you're trying to get along with a specific person talking to them every day will speed up the process a little.

I'm not sure you can get anyone but Haley for the first flower dance even with that though, seeing as the boost from giving her a birthday present is more or less mandatory.

You can get Haley ( birthday plus daffodil every week ). Harvey ( coffee at 300g a pop, so you basically sacrifice your entire first Spring/Summer worth of farming for him.... ), Abigail ( you need to get an Amethyst on the first Friday the Mines open, and then another on that Saturday, and get her two Amethysts a week, including two on the week of the Festival ), and Leah ( Salads at 200-300g a pop every week, so like Harvey you basically sacrifice your farm to get a dance. ).

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Rookersh posted:

You can get Haley ( birthday plus daffodil every week ). Harvey ( coffee at 300g a pop, so you basically sacrifice your entire first Spring/Summer worth of farming for him.... ), Abigail ( you need to get an Amethyst on the first Friday the Mines open, and then another on that Saturday, and get her two Amethysts a week, including two on the week of the Festival ), and Leah ( Salads at 200-300g a pop every week, so like Harvey you basically sacrifice your farm to get a dance. ).

Ah, I forgot about Harvey loving coffee. But yeah, 600g a week in early spring is... As for Abigail, you'd probably have to save-scum to get the amethysts required, but it's doable. Biggest challenge of getting Leah is finding her without the zoom patch :v:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Eh Leah's not that hard to find, she's usually in her house in the morning then sometimes goes to the pond to the west or the ocean to chill, then almost always the pub in the evening

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
When someone sends you mail with a request for an item, is there some sort of system that makes sure they'll request something you have or will soon have? It seems like they're always asking for a crop I have already growing, which is pretty handy since otherwise I'd just ship those anyway.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
During the spring, Leah only goes to the bar on Thursday through Saturday.

Really, her schedule is usually in her cottage until 1 PM or so (which is why she can be so god drat hard to find, especially if you can't get into her house), and then by the pond after that

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?

Slime posted:

When someone sends you mail with a request for an item, is there some sort of system that makes sure they'll request something you have or will soon have? It seems like they're always asking for a crop I have already growing, which is pretty handy since otherwise I'd just ship those anyway.

I don't think so. I've gotten quests for things that were impossible unless you happened to start growing them by chance. I still have a quest from the end of spring where someone requested cauliflower which takes half of spring to grow.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Joiny posted:

I don't think so. I've gotten quests for things that were impossible unless you happened to start growing them by chance. I still have a quest from the end of spring where someone requested cauliflower which takes half of spring to grow.

Yeah it's not going to necessarily be something you'll have by chance, but it's always something available in season.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky

Ulvirich posted:

First off, how dare you derive enjoyment from a video game. Did you give Sebastian flowers yet? Might be a bug too as I've had to rewatch various heart level cutscenes multiple times. Also, if a villager is at 10/10 hearts, their friendship level is locked and won't slowly deprecate.

Yeah, I know - and I openly admitted to liking Rune Factory 4, too! What is wrong with me? :haw:

I gave him the bouquet at 8 hearts, so I'm covered there. The wiki says to go to his house at night, after 8 PM, but nothing happens.

It may be for the best that I'm stuck for a while. I should enjoy my farm before I acquire some permanent talking furniture. :j: Or can anyone tell me if your spouse still has some sort of routine after marriage and actually goes out to town to see other npcs?

Tired Moritz posted:

Haha, I'm not surprised you're going for Sebastian

Oh man, I usually lurk so I forgot about my goofy avatar. Man, I must be predisposed to choose the shut in geeks. :allears: Must be why I'm a goon.

In all honesty though, none of the options are really that great to me. I might have tried Elliot or Harvey if not for the final sprite redesigns that made one a gross Fabio clone and gave the other a stupid lovely mustache. (Whichever goon redid the sprite to a full beard, that made him much better! His personality is boring, though. Anyone go that route? )

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
When I got Sebastian's 10-heart, I walked onto his house's screen from the Backwoods mountain path around 10:30 PM (It was right after the WInterstar Festival wrapped up because I wanted to check something, went up to the mountains, and got a pleasant surprise :kimchi:)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Slime posted:

Those mail requests seem to just show up on specific days.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Cheese Pain posted:

Yeah, I know - and I openly admitted to liking Rune Factory 4, too! What is wrong with me? :haw:

I gave him the bouquet at 8 hearts, so I'm covered there. The wiki says to go to his house at night, after 8 PM, but nothing happens.

There is definitely a bug with some Ten heart events right now. I've been romancing everyone and only about half the ten heart events will actually trigger.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Mayonnaise is sure as gently caress handy for gifting. I have been giving mayonnaise to more than half of Stardew Valley. They gobble it up like fat bastards, I must be pushing their obesity index higher every week.

And if they don't like mayo, I give them cheese. There is no escape.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky

Archenteron posted:

When I got Sebastian's 10-heart, I walked onto his house's screen from the Backwoods mountain path around 10:30 PM (It was right after the WInterstar Festival wrapped up because I wanted to check something, went up to the mountains, and got a pleasant surprise :kimchi:)

I know some people get it and some don't, so I'll just keep periodically stopping by if I'm running errands and we'll see if it triggers. Here's hoping!

LibbyM posted:

There is definitely a bug with some Ten heart events right now. I've been romancing everyone and only about half the ten heart events will actually trigger.

Hopefully Concerned Ape will fix that soon, but it looks like he's super on top of bug fixing so I'm sure it'll get sorted out. Thanks for confirming!

I have half a mind to date Maru too, just to be silly, but the idea of romancing the entire town just to see what happens sounds great. Which routes are most worth pursuing?

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
The thing to remember is that once you get someone to two hearts they will let you enter their room/house. After that point finding someone for gifting or conversation becomes trivial as long as you head their place early morning.
My impression is that daily conversation nets you one heart maximum, so consistent gifting is better? I actually don't know though because I'm engrossed in harvesting pines.

I do have a thought for those craving the ability to slaughter animals. Isn't that what happens when you sell them? My IRL experience tells me that very few farmers actually butcher meat themselves and that they either sell to abattoirs, butchers, or feedlots. Seems legit not to include it in the game because after all you don't make cash by keeping produce. (Cooking didn't count)

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Anyone see any nonromanceable villager heart events yet? I have Linus, the Mayor, and George at 5, and havent seen anything yetm

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Anyone see any nonromanceable villager heart events yet? I have Linus, the Mayor, and George at 5, and havent seen anything yetm

i saw a george event once and one for uh i think gus? the bar guy. also linus has a cut scene that is the best one

oh and also shane :smith:

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Rookersh posted:

Robin has one, she gave me her secret blueprints for.... musical blocks.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Cheese Pain posted:

I know some people get it and some don't, so I'll just keep periodically stopping by if I'm running errands and we'll see if it triggers. Here's hoping!

Hopefully Concerned Ape will fix that soon, but it looks like he's super on top of bug fixing so I'm sure it'll get sorted out. Thanks for confirming!

I have half a mind to date Maru too, just to be silly, but the idea of romancing the entire town just to see what happens sounds great. Which routes are most worth pursuing?

It's pretty trivial to just get everyone after awhile. Leah is really easy with salads from the bar (shes there on Fridays and easy enough to find one other day on the beach or by the forest lake), Haley with flowers/sunflowers in fall (shes by the playground a lot), Abi with Amethysts (in Pierres, or on that bridge to the east often enough I barely have to look) and Penny (around town, especially in the morning you can find her pathing or reading by the tree almost always). I had all 4 of those girls at 8 hearts before year 2 without really going crazy over it. Make sure you give them a "love" gift on their birthdays and you get 2-3 hearts straight away.

You can also catch group of villagers at specific times, like hitting all the regulars in the pub at once each time, or catching the workout cult at like 4pm when they are standing around together. Once you have a kitchen, most of those woman love an easy cooking item.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
After the first lightning storm in my game, little piles of ash (?) appeared all over the town. It's two seasons later and they've never gone away. Any idea what's up with that?

e: Talking about both of these things:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 5, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know I've said it before, but if you have access to the Sashimi recipe (I got mine from Linus) it's trivial to befriend almost anyone. There's a couple of people who don't like it (ironically, Willy is one of them and he loves un-sliced fish) but all the marriage candidates, the merchants and even the kids seem to love it! It's the easiest thing to make since you literally just need any type of fish, so if you have access to the sewers or hidden forest you can just fish tons of carp (in fact, if you use the hooked tackle they catch themselves so you can go semi-AFK) and feed the whole town delicious raw sewerfish. :shepface:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Little Abigail posted:

Haha, wow. http://steamspy.com/app/413150

SteamSpy, I know, but 200k units sold.

The massive amount of sites gushing about the game seems to be doing wonders for it and I wish ConcernedApe all the best with his new fortune.

Let's be honest bro he was able to just work on this for a couple years solid, not really having to worry about plebian things like a 'day job'

he had a bit of a fortune already

that's not to say he doesn't deserve this one though, game fuckin rules

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Crabtree posted:

Its makes me think I'm farming on the moon. Which I'd also be okay with.

A bubble colony on Mars would be a pretty great backdrop for a farming sim like this.

Rookersh posted:

A nonromancing heart event is a Friend Event. :buddy:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, I've gotten a ton. A lot of them seem to rely on getting your heart level up with multiple people in the same family though. Try going into people's houses when it rains, and everyone is inside.

I even got one with Dwarf and Krobus, with a guest entrance by Wizard.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 5, 2016

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Your Computer posted:

I know I've said it before, but if you have access to the Sashimi recipe (I got mine from Linus) it's trivial to befriend almost anyone. There's a couple of people who don't like it (ironically, Willy is one of them and he loves un-sliced fish) but all the marriage candidates, the merchants and even the kids seem to love it! It's the easiest thing to make since you literally just need any type of fish, so if you have access to the sewers or hidden forest you can just fish tons of carp (in fact, if you use the hooked tackle they catch themselves so you can go semi-AFK) and feed the whole town delicious raw sewerfish. :shepface:

Wine is also a pretty good gift. Besides the kids, the only adults that don't like it are Penny and Sebastian. Dwarf doesn't like anything non-mineral or dwarf artifact, and not sure about Krobus. I ran out of bottles before getting to him. Sorry sewer buddy :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know this has been asked a million times, but how do I edit my character to pick a different skill again? I alt-tabbed out when I wanted to see which level 5 farming skill I wanted, and when I clicked back it auto-picked the one I didn't want.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
What does the "weight" stat on the Crystal Dagger do?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What does the "weight" stat on the Crystal Dagger do?

It's the knockback that occurs to a enemy when you hit it with a weapon swing.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know this has been asked a million times, but how do I edit my character to pick a different skill again? I alt-tabbed out when I wanted to see which level 5 farming skill I wanted, and when I clicked back it auto-picked the one I didn't want.

Ulvirich posted:

In Win7:

\Users\Tarezax\AppData\Roaming\StardewValley\Saves\Tazrezax_#########

Open the file there in an XML editor. I am using XML Notepad 2007 personally.

It's in player > professions.

There will be a listing of integers depending on how many skills you've got, in my case there are six in chronological order that you received them.

Use this image for reference.

Caveat: All level 5 skills have different branching skills. You must have the appropriate beginning skill if you are wanting to change to a different level 10 skill.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
basically the only two things that matter on weapons are damage and speed

until you get desperado, then it's basically speed, speed, and more speed (with crit chance also cool if you can find it)

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Penny's into some weird poo poo.

:zoid:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Restarted for the last time. First because I didn't bother buying any more crops on the first day, second time because my farmer wasn't cute enough. Now the planets are aligned and I'm ready to go full potato farmer.

Weird thing I noticed - on my most recent save I got my cat on the 5th day or so, while on my previous ones I never got this event to trigger. What happened? Is it random?