Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Hey look, some of that Giant Bomb exposure. They mentioned during the video that there will likely also be some VR coverage in an upcoming roundup video (I'm betting that'll be post-E3).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So the hypothetical 4th Difficulty/NG+ mode will be called "Dragon", yeah?

Invader-Warlord-Harbinger-Dragon

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
That's what I'm rooting for!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Kairo,

Who did you get to write the end cinematic texts?

Did you write them yourself?

Are you free?

In the end,

You burnt the Emperor's throne world.

Is this really an achievement?

An achievement. Something gained.

Nothing matters--you are free.

Free.

It's me. We could probably add more if you guys have good ideas!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
To start a fried chicken restaurant.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

General Battuta posted:

It was awesome.

Also the tips helped and I gotgud.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Bombing things with the purifiers is very good, love watching frigates just disappear after an application of a triple dose nuclear suppository into their crew compartments.

Think I'm going to give the HOTAS a run tomorrow. I'll get it proper set up, we'll see how the throttle and all work out then.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Kamikaze module is very fun and good with the need 4 speed upgrade

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

There's some kind of weird bug with the menus where it's selecting previous menu options, like trying to abandon a mission and instead purchasing a module upgrade :psyduck:

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Bolow posted:

There's some kind of weird bug with the menus where it's selecting previous menu options, like trying to abandon a mission and instead purchasing a module upgrade :psyduck:

Crazy, can you get me a repro step for this or any other kind of specific info? That would be amazing!

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Is there something that can be done about the steamvr scene coming up between game scene loads?

I bad to change mine to black because it was happening every time I died.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Burno posted:

Is there something that can be done about the steamvr scene coming up between game scene loads?

I bad to change mine to black because it was happening every time I died.

That's on my list to look at. I know it sucks and is annoying. :(

Here's what's happening: SteamVR tries to keep you from getting sick from low framerates. But it is a little aggressive, or has no idea that the engine has actually faded to black, which is when we normally do the intensive things since the player will never notice. I think there is some fade/blackout function in the SDK but I have to find it and rig it in there.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Kairo posted:

Crazy, can you get me a repro step for this or any other kind of specific info? That would be amazing!

I have all the upgrades purchased now, so I can't reproduce it. I was doing the Tannhauser mission on Harbinger, went to abandon and refit my ship and it instead wanted me to buy a flak drone. Restarting Mission became Abandon Mission and the only way to fix it was to exit back to the title screen. I think it had to do with me browsing the upgrade menu but not actually purchasing anything and using escape to back out?

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Shine posted:

No problem! Sorry it took a while, but here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quS18ly1uzM

This is an amazing video with the commentary, btw.

Edit: The downside is, after looking at all of this, I can't figure out or replicate your problem at all, despite it being an awesome video. :negative:

Kairo fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 10, 2016

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

General Battuta posted:

The codex stuff and ending stuff is top notch. This product, as a whole, is really special.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Kairo are you sure there are no last minute sales of the Enemy Starfighter posters?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Bug report after update:
00A-T Heavy Artillery can't be selected for players who already finished entire mission (it's grayed out). I'm guessing the only solution is to reset mission and try to unlock it.
FPS drops right after using Gap Drive. Goes away after 5 seconds though.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Aesis posted:

Bug report after update:
00A-T Heavy Artillery can't be selected for players who already finished entire mission (it's grayed out). I'm guessing the only solution is to reset mission and try to unlock it.
FPS drops right after using Gap Drive. Goes away after 5 seconds though.

Did you try beating the mission again on any difficulty?

The gap drive thing I'm aware of, I've just been dealing with all the HOTAS shenanigans and haven't a chance to look at much of that stuff. :/

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Kairo posted:

The gap drive thing I'm aware of, I've just been dealing with all the HOTAS shenanigans and haven't a chance to look at much of that stuff. :/
Nah I just reset campaign because I was bored.

Also no problem on gap drive, it isn't a big issue.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Kairo posted:

This is an amazing video with the commentary, btw.

Edit: The downside is, after looking at all of this, I can't figure out or replicate your problem at all, despite it being an awesome video. :negative:

Haha, welp. I'll try a few other things on my end (invert the axis in my software and in-game, use different axes, etc.) and see if it behaves any differently.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
Setting the "boost" button to the kick drum has lead to me having an extremely sore right foot.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
I've been following this since page twenty something, and the couple hours I've been able to spend playing it so far have been a loving blast.

Thanks for making an awesome space game Kairo.

Now for some feedback:

Longrifle with AP and a mouse is brokenly strong. I'm four shotting destroyers, and can pick off fighters even at very close range just by feeling around with the cursor until the weapon gimbals kick in and clicking. Shields are a hard counter but there aren't enough of them to really be a concern. I'd suggest introducing a fairly common medium fighter for medium and hard difficulties that has some token shields, not enough to be a problem for an autocannon or missile salvo but enough to bounce longrifle shots all day.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
There are fighters and corvettes with shield at Harbinger mode tbh. Corvettes are especially pain in the rear end because their shield radius isn't big enough for you to comfortably get in (and they do have turrets shooting backward), not to mention high amount of shield that takes ages to destroy on your own. You pretty much need destroyers to deal with them.

I think LR Rifle is fine as is. It's not that game breaking even with AP rounds due to its small magazine and slow projectile speed.

As for weapon gimbal, you can turn it off (check couple of previous pages by Kairo) and it makes KB+M control harder.

Edit: got all my achievements, and restarted the campaign :getin:

Aesis fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 10, 2016

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Aesis posted:

I think LR Rifle is fine as is. It's not that game breaking even with AP rounds due to its small magazine and slow projectile speed.

My longrifle's projectile speeds have been crazy fast - maybe 1/4 second hit delay at max range.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I made a video of me playing The Builder, sorry about the quality e: drat youtube auto quality! It is commentary free so please share it with anyone who is just looking to see what the gameplay is like.

For Kairo:
At the very start of the mission the friendly interceptors try to gap jump to the nearby shuttles even though there is an asteroid in the way, maybe they should be set to a defensive mode initially so the player can give orders?

At about 3:30 I selected some units and then decided to focus on an enemy before giving orders. Would it be possible to add a way to focus on a target without having to select it (ala homeworld alt+left click).

It could add to the flavour of the game if the Flagship jumps into your full fleet, instead of being told you are outgunned, the text might highlight how that was a bad decision on their part and they will pay for their mistake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8HCnm_zDjI

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 10, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Wish I had money to buy this game. :negative:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Night Shade posted:

My longrifle's projectile speeds have been crazy fast - maybe 1/4 second hit delay at max range.
Huh, I should try using it again. Idk why it felt like it had long delay for me though :iiam:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I'm part of the beat the entire game on Harbinger club now :toot:

Guess I need to step it up to Battuta's level and kill the flagship in every mission as well :v:. The gap drive with the Kamikaze Chasis is loving silly as poo poo btw

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Milky Moor posted:

Wish I had money to buy this game. :negative:

Add me on steam.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Bolow posted:

I'm part of the beat the entire game on Harbinger club now :toot:

Guess I need to step it up to Battuta's level and kill the flagship in every mission as well :v:. The gap drive with the Kamikaze Chasis is loving silly as poo poo btw
Restart campaign, play on Harbinger and try to kill flagship each time :v:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Kairo posted:

I went and rebeat the mission real quick and it unlocked the cannon for me so that works at least.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Aesis posted:

Restart campaign, play on Harbinger and try to kill flagship each time :v:

Oof. I solo'd a few percent off a flagship one time, with AP rounds you could do decent damage...maybe you could exploit the poo poo out of the long rifle. But imagining fighting a flagship without a beam frigate...tough.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Here is another video, I did two runs with different interceptor loadouts. The first run I was trying to get by without a gap drive, and try something that could fight at range - it is interesting to watch the longrifle rounds bounce off shields, I wonder if its possible to accidentally kill yourself by firing at the correct angle? Second run I did shotgun+gap drive, even without the AP rounds upgrade you can still really mess stuff up, although the flagship was a bit harder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m94oB16eCA

e: Not really clear on what 'Veterans Promoted' refers to in the results screen.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 10, 2016

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

TheMostFrench posted:

Here is another video, I did two runs with different interceptor loadouts. The first run I was trying to get by without a gap drive, and try something that could fight at range - it is interesting to watch the longrifle rounds bounce off shields, I wonder if its possible to accidentally kill yourself by firing at the correct angle? Second run I did shotgun+gap drive, even without the AP rounds upgrade you can still really mess stuff up, although the flagship was a bit harder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m94oB16eCA

e: Not really clear on what 'Veterans Promoted' refers to in the results screen.

Nice! The harder balance pass will be made for someone like you.

Veterans promoted means that your surviving ships gain a rank/level up -- they get more accurate and aggressive per level.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Kairo posted:

Nice! The harder balance pass will be made for someone like you.

Veterans promoted means that your surviving ships gain a rank/level up -- they get more accurate and aggressive per level.

Is the latter the reason that if you screw up a mission you should retreat instead of just hit Retry?

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Kairo posted:

That needs to go in a tooltip somewhere; a lot of people seem very unclear on what Veterancy actually means.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

TheMostFrench posted:

Ships that survive to the end of a mission will be slightly better combatants in future missions, until they die.

E: I'm tempted to wipe my save (again) and record a full beginning-to-end Harbinger run in VR. Is that something anyone would actually be interested in watching?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

quaunaut posted:

Is the latter the reason that if you screw up a mission you should retreat instead of just hit Retry?
Failing or restarting a mission gives you back everything you had going into a mission so uh not really I guess?

Also I'll need to check again to make sure but I'm pretty sure finishing the final mission wipes all your veterans, which is fitting but I'm not sure if that's supposed to be intended or not.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I really. Really really. Really really REALLY want a third loving color for the arrows pointing to objectives. Or failing that, the ability to select a target personally from the tactical view.

"Target has podded!" Okay point at the pod... I have THREE yellow arrows and one blue arrow. Blue arrow! Rando Fighter I'm locked onto instead of the pod of the ship I just destroyed. Yellow arrow A! Not the pod. Yellow arrow B!... Not the pod. Okay so it must be yellow arrow-

*Destroyed by Flagship I could have narrowly avoided while fumbling around trying to find the loving pod*

I'm still probably only early to halfway through. But Harbinger has often been summed up as "You spent too long trying to find where the thing you want to point towards is. hahahahah" From optional workers to cargo containers to the main objective I need to pop before I can escape. My make or break on my mediocre self (I'm still using shields, after all) is always, always, ALWAYS the time eaten up trying to find my goddamned intended targets, especially if I'm trying for optional objectives along the way.

Aside from that, it's been pretty sweet and I'm glad I noticed this on the steam store page. I had completely lost track of this and missed both the name change and the launch announcement.

Because when I'm not getting frustrated by trying to find what's easy to see on the tactical map, but not so much orient towards when I can be pointed anywhere but personally? Super loving sweet.

Orv posted:

Select a group target for fighters and your fighter will also receive it, do so for the pod.

I've stopped relying on them to get the job done the Nth time fighters or Destroyers have somehow gotten themselves killed trying to deal with a bonus objectives, even stationary ones :v: "okay I'll send one destroyed off to bust those three cargo containers with qued commands. So Me and the rest of my ships can focus on the objective and enemies"

LATER, as the flagship is seconds away from arrival "Wait what about my bonus objectives?... 1 out of 3 immobile cargo containers destroyed. Oh that Destroyed just died this second :downs:"

Plus when I try to use that to target it myself, a lot of the time it just plain doesn't. Even if I want to cancel orders I've already given them just so I'm allowed to target something.

EDIT: Speaking of orders. I like the Queue option, but I hate how it snaps all the way back to the ship I'm ordering every time so I have to scroll all the way back to where I'm trying to give queued orders for. "Okay, Mister fighter. I want to queue you up to kill those workers, and then head for the nearby-god damnit."

And I sure as hell don't want to cancel all the orders I've given to my fighters just for the luxury of being able to target the right cargo containers to scan.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Select a group target for fighters and your fighter will also receive it, do so for the pod.

• Locked thread