Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

A Man and his dog posted:

That was the Mothers Day Massacre.... Holy poo poo.

My HC is probably going to get so loving hammered tonight. What a day....

Ran out of like half the menu lmao.

Time to wake up and do it again tomorrow!

:suicide:

I'm glad I work at a golf course now because I was not looking forward to working mothers day at a restaurant a mom would go to. I'm the kind of person who will kill myself making sure we never, ever run out of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
what is the best advice for getting into the restaurant industry? I want to be a chef but have had hard times making it. I've tried emulating famous chefs like gorden ramseys but everyone just got made at me and then i got fired because the restuarant owner said dishwashers cant yell and call people n*gg*rs

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
don't get into the industry

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Nooner posted:

what is the best advice for getting into the restaurant industry? I want to be a chef but have had hard times making it. I've tried emulating famous chefs like gorden ramseys but everyone just got made at me and then i got fired because the restuarant owner said dishwashers cant yell and call people n*gg*rs

There's a saying the French have: "Great chefs don't shitpost." Maybe try shitposing less and washing dishes more?

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lol

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Nooner posted:

Shut up and wash dishes.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Please do have it looked at though, because your feet are your living and you don't want to let poo poo get bad. You're not diabetic, right? At the very least post some gross pics in The Goon Doctor for our entertainment.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Seconding wicking socks. Your feet will never sweat less (unless you change other things like taking in less caffeine), so investigate all the possibilities for efficient moisture removal. Powder just absorbs and is only a weak bandaid of a half-measure.

The problem with kitchen work is that shoes can either breathe or protect you from scalding, but not both at once.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ooooo boy me and this dude just went at it on tipping servers on Facebook.

I'm not going to get into it. Cause whatever you feel on tips is your own opinion.

But home boy basically called out the whole industry for not having "real" jobs.

Then went on to explain how he's a mechanic and I should be tipping him for doing actual work.

Yeah man, let me tip you while you tip me like dog poo poo while you make way more per hour! Got it!

Called him an ignorant cheap rear end and to stop eating out at nice places if he feels that way. The chick then deleted the post. Lol.

This guy also said he works side jobs at restaurants so it was even more :psyduck:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Every other job I've had has been less stressful than service

also they have all payed higher wages

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I actually refuse to tip if its slow and my food comes out cold or its been pretty blatantly been dying in the window for 10-15m and it somehow gets blamed on BoH.

edit: I took my momma out to a restaurant that's basically an old school steakhouse vibe that features fish and seafood for mother's day and the people next to us got the walleye, except they ordered it deep fried instead of seared. I could hear every chef I ever worked for scream all at once when the waiter brought out a $35 fish fry.

To be fair, it was a first generation guy taking his very old, very ethnic parents to a really nice Mother's Day dinner.

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 12, 2015

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

JawKnee posted:

Every other job I've had has been less stressful than service

also they have all payed higher wages

That also doesn't mean you should leave a poo poo tip....

If the service is dog poo poo I get it....

Let's not even get on this. The whole thing just pissed me off and I had to vent...

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

That also doesn't mean you should leave a poo poo tip....

If the service is dog poo poo I get it....

Let's not even get on this. The whole thing just pissed me off and I had to vent...

I'm agreeing with you :confused:

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ok. Lol. Chalk this up to good ole internet reading comprehension.

My bad!

:tipshat:

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Had a zero dollar tip on 188 tonight. These people exist and I guess when it happens to me my only option is to laugh. All I could do about it was laugh. gently caress em, poo poo happens. I'm lucky enough to work at the level I do and I make more than enough to be ok. For those people who deal with stuff like that on the regular, you have my heart. I drink at a restaurant near mine that closes after we do and they love us but man. The stories I hear break my heart for the whole staff, line guys included.

Tonight was my last night at the place that has taken care of me for two years. I had a great section and made good money, both managers gave me their phone numbers as well as the chef, and said if I ever want to grab a beer they would be down. Felt good man.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Ok. Lol. Chalk this up to good ole internet reading comprehension.

My bad!

:tipshat:

I pay my servers 10 bucks an hour plus they keep their tips.

I want happy people who want to come work for me and bust their rear end and they know I care about them and love them.

The cooks on the other hand get 10 bucks an hour base and they get mad that the servers get just as much. I try to explain that they don't have to deal with people. They don't get it.

On a different subject I finalized the lunch menu. We are going new fine Texas cuisine minus the bullshit. Subtract foie gras add seasonal fruits like mulberries and prickly pears.

Edit: also how sad is it I can run the kitchen by myself and keep under 10 minute ticket times and I sometimes need more than 1 cook to do the same thing when it's not me there.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I want happy people who want to come work for me and bust their rear end and they know I care about them and love them.

The cooks on the other hand get 10 bucks an hour base and they get mad that the servers get just as much. I try to explain that they don't have to deal with people. They don't get it.

THANK U CHRIST SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS!

I'm being 100% serious. That's all I do is deal with other people's poo poo while feeding you and for the regulars getting to know you...

gently caress it's not that hard!

I'm happy to live daily life and make whatever money I can.

Everyone else can keep all the bullshit.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
"way more per hour"

Errant Gin Monks posted:

is better than a mechanic does in most of the US.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

:negative:

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You live and die by the sword aka chef knife / fryer grease

:chef:

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

On a different subject I finalized the lunch menu. We are going new fine Texas cuisine minus the bullshit. Subtract foie gras add seasonal fruits like mulberries and prickly pears.

Edit: also how sad is it I can run the kitchen by myself and keep under 10 minute ticket times and I sometimes need more than 1 cook to do the same thing when it's not me there.

Not to say that what you're doing with regards to server wages is wrong (frankly the way tipped wages are treated in the US is bullshit) but have you considered that maybe your cooks don't feel compelled to work hard because they perceive it as unfair that they get paid as much as the servers without the chance to earn tips. It's a pretty well understood phenomenon that people judge themselves as much, if not more, by what others are making rather then what their actual pay is. Given the industry standard of paying servers poo poo wages I could see this being disheartening for the cooks even though it's not actually affecting their wages in any way.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Should just pay all your employees a decent wage, don't classify them as servers, and try to do a service charge, or put everyone in a tip pool. Not entirely sure how well that works here in Texas, but I do know our corporate is trying to do this in all of our hotels at some point. Mostly to stop unionization.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

My last restaurant job ever was a place where everyone made at least minimum wage and we did a daily tipshare based on % of hours worked that day. It was classified as only hours that we are open, to make it a little more fair to the servers, but it was a really great system and everyone was pretty pumped about it. It super loving owned to be a cook making $10/hr and then find an extra $20 a day, or more depending on how busy we were, in my little tips envelope.

This was a 'pay at the counter and then sit down' style place, too. I could only see it working even better if you actually present the customer with a credit card slip that has a "Tip: _____" field on it.

IMO you are really cheating yourself out of some excellent kitchen workers if you have the option to legally run a full tipshare and choose not to.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Our club pays generally high wages for servers, between 12 and 15 hourly and full timers get insurance, dental, paid vacation. Its also in the club charter that tipping is strictly forbidden, but there's plenty of incentives for the staff to enforce the rules of the club. A cell phone going off in the dining room is a 100$ charge to the member that gets deposited into a christmas bonus fund, plus members have a chance to donate directly to the fund. My yearly bonus has been as high as 25% of my salary. Almost makes up for no tipping, until you realize how much you'd be making on some of our tickets even with our markdown. Our wine list is locked in at 2x cost by club vote.

It's weird being registered as a non-profit restaurant.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Cool. Was very excited for my first full day off in 3 weeks. Woke up its sunny and 85 degrees out. Beach day was planned.

Nope. Home girl didn't show up. Had to come in till 4!

:smugjones:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Cool. Was very excited for my first full day off in 3 weeks. Woke up its sunny and 85 degrees out. Beach day was planned.

Nope. Home girl didn't show up. Had to come in till 4!

:smugjones:

Never answer your phone on your scheduled day off. EVER.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

They at least had the decency to pay you overtime, right?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Should just pay all your employees a decent wage, don't classify them as servers, and try to do a service charge, or put everyone in a tip pool. Not entirely sure how well that works here in Texas, but I do know our corporate is trying to do this in all of our hotels at some point. Mostly to stop unionization.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs15.pdf

Not sure how it'd work with the law as defined by that:

US Department of Labor posted:

Tip Pool
Requirements: The requirement that an employee must retain all tips does not preclude a valid tip pooling or
sharing arrangement among employees who customarily and regularly receive tips, such as waiters,
waitresses, bellhops, counter personnel (who serve customers), bussers, and service bartenders. A valid
tip pool may not include employees who do not customarily and regularly received tips, such as
dishwashers, cooks, chefs, and janitors.

I do know some places where the chefs/cooks serve customers directly (think sushi bar) they get tips/tipped out, but otherwise, I simply don't know.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Never answer your phone on your scheduled day off. EVER.

This, unless you'd rather work than go in.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I'm getting about 20 hours of overtime a week...

Whatever getting off at 4 isn't to bad I suppose and I put a little coin in my pocket for today. It was more just being grumpy this morning that I had to go in...

As soon as I accepted the call I new my fate was sealed.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I'm currently blessed with the most amazing schedule so I gladly answer any calls on my days off. I come in at 11:00 right before lunch and leave right after the dinner rush (about 7-7:30) so I neither open or close but still work 8+ hours a day while getting mondays and tuesdays off.

choprite
Sep 29, 2007
just about as retarded as you'd think

Shooting Blanks posted:

lmao if you dont have a "can do" attitude and also the kind of crippling depression that keeps you from a sane work/life balance

no i cant go out for drinks tonight or ever- i have to be at work at 6am for 3 hrs of unpaid pre-shift overtime otherwise i wont have fries prepped for service, which would be my fault

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Almost went down because of fryers today. Sometime between blanching things and the start of the rush, all three pilot lights decided to go out. I spent the rest of the day obsessively-compulsively checking the buggers. I also have to work the next two weekends, and I'm happy because this is the first time I've been required to since early February and I recognize how incredibly rare that is in foodservice. I started with a "no Sundays" agreement and due to scheduling/training issues with other people they have been literally unable to schedule me Saturdays.

I'd love to know what those of you in supervisory positions think warrants a writeup/termination on this list:

-Repeatedly requesting demanding blocks of 3-4 days off, including literally every weekend.
-Repeatedly setting a dumpster on fire due to inability to understand heat/flammability safety.
-Telling a guest "Sorry we're out, you should have come in before the last 20 people did"
-Leaving >75% of closing duties unfinished as a manager, including clocking people out to make them stop and leave before their duties are done
-Clocking out mid-shift despite being told you're not approved to leave.
-Intentionally interfering with coworkers' productivity (e.g. opening an oven you have no business being near while someone is baking things, removing partially-cooked foodand leaving it to sit at room temp)
-As a key hourly, giving your keys to a non-approved hourly employee so they can go in and open while you sleep an extra hour. For six months.
-Consistently addressing superiors the way a strict manager would address a wayward employee

(Most of these are different people)

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 13, 2015

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

can that sucka.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Vorenus posted:

-Repeatedly requesting demanding blocks of 3-4 days off, including literally every weekend.
-Repeatedly setting a dumpster on fire due to inability to understand heat/flammability safety.
-Telling a guest "Sorry we're out, you should have come in before the last 20 people did"
-Leaving >75% of closing duties unfinished as a manager, including clocking people out to make them stop and leave before their duties are done
-Clocking out mid-shift despite being told you're not approved to leave.
-Intentionally interfering with coworkers' productivity (e.g. opening an oven you have no business being near while someone is baking things, removing partially-cooked foodand leaving it to sit at room temp)
-As a key hourly, giving your keys to a non-approved hourly employee so they can go in and open while you sleep an extra hour. For six months.
-Consistently addressing superiors the way a strict manager would address a wayward employee

Warn
Fire
Write up
Write up, fire if habitual
Write up, fire if habitual
Write up, fire if already warned
Fire
Write up

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
So I'm relatively new to this industry as well as being in culinary school full-time, is it a common side effect to constantly pray for the merciful release of death? tia

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

the great deceiver posted:

So I'm relatively new to this industry as well as being in culinary school full-time, is it a common side effect to constantly pray for the merciful release of death? tia

I hope you didn't take out a loan for culinary school. :lol:

Also if you read the thread the answer is a resounding "Yes!" 90% of the time.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Shooting Blanks posted:

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs15.pdf

Not sure how it'd work with the law as defined by that:

I do know some places where the chefs/cooks serve customers directly (think sushi bar) they get tips/tipped out, but otherwise, I simply don't know.

Yeah, but wasn't there a guy in NY paying servers above min and tacking on a service charge to 'tip' everyone out? That's the way to go in anything close to fine dining, IMO. poo poo, our room service guys average $20/hr, I'd really like my cooks to as well. If everyone got paid $12-14/hr and we just made a 15% service fee mandatory(as we do in banquets, which is how banquet staff get "tipped" out) everyone in outlets/kitchen could make $18-20/hr easy.

e: of course, what we really need is full food worker unionization to get wages where they belong, but as long as restaurants plan around sub 10% profit per dish, it'll never work.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 13, 2015

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Everyone is going to tell you it sucks. And it does.

But if you put in the time and effort, and just keep going you will find some light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm a lifer. I've done this now for over 8 years at one shop. I went from the new waiter to basically now running the whole front of house.

Which isn't something I tip my hat on. I could leave and probably find the same hours and more money else where.....

But I'm very comfortable where I'm at. I have my own schedule. It keeps me from drinking all day. And I make some cash seven days a week. I'm happy in life and content. That's all that matters to me.

I'm also probably employed in one of the most laid back restaurant environments you can find.

So good luck on your journey!

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I hope you didn't take out a loan for culinary school. :lol:

Also if you read the thread the answer is a resounding "Yes!" 90% of the time.

gently caress no i didnt take out a loan, I go to the one at the local community college that a lot of local chefs recruit from. I don't pay for anything but books, knives, poo poo like that plus i get paid working for the school's catering business.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ok while your getting your degree also get experience at a place. Learn how the industry works. Decide if you want corporate or private.

Don't just go to school and loving chill the rest of the day...

Seriously it took me balancing school / work / social life.

Having an uneasy / long workday is very common.

It's not 9-5 life and go home and chill industry.

Edit: Went to school for something totally different then being in the service industry

A Man and his dog fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Oh yeah for sure i'm getting real experience while i go to school. I already have a BA and I used to be a social worker so I'm used to working grueling hours where it's more of a lifestyle than a 9-5 job.

• Locked thread