Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The mission where you have to steal the evidence before the other team gets hectic as hell with a full two crews of eight going at it. Cars crashing into cars, getting shot up by police helicopters, crashing into cars...

Harmonica posted:

edit: for everyone that saw the Online intro, did you also have huge pop-in issues that weren't a problem in normal GTA? Or has my DVD drive finally decided to die.

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
^Also gently caress you for being able to enjoy this product that I cannot.^

Crappers posted:

Really no surprise this is broken for most people including myself. Did we really expect this whole thing to run smoothly from day 1? Will try again tomorrow with fingers crossed!

I know I didn't expect things to be completely smooth, but I did expect to be able to create a character without hard locking my PS3. This is stupid and it honestly would have been better for them to delay the online launch if they needed more time to get their poo poo together.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 1, 2013

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Insanite posted:

I demand free Nissan Leaf-themed DLC to make up for this.

You already got a free blimp in advance. Piss off!

Just kidding. ;)

Sondlar
Sep 9, 2004

Harmonica posted:

Some people have cheesed it through past the opening race but I have no idea how they've managed it.

I think the safest thing to do if you've managed to get past character creation is not to bother reloading GTA online after you inevitably dashboard/reset. Maybe that way your character is ok.

edit: for everyone that saw the Online intro, did you also have huge pop-in issues that weren't a problem in normal GTA? Or has my DVD drive finally decided to die.

I actually didn't notice any pop-in that wasn't already there in SP. It might make a difference on PS3 but who knows right now considering that's the furthest I got before the inevitable server meltdown. It'll be nice once the game is stable getting our poo poo ruined by the people who somehow managed to play for a few days and get a leg up but whatever, it is what it is.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Xbox lockups quite common for me while loading aspects of the online content. Quite annoying when you actually manage to finally get into the game!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm glad I finally be one of those MMO launch people who everything works smoothly for :v:

Hobo Clown posted:

How do you do missions? After I made my character it dropped me at the Vinewood sign with no direction. Do ATMs not appear on the map?
No but if you hold back/select you can set up a waypoint to the nearest one.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

DrNutt posted:

I know I didn't expect things to be completely smooth, but I did expect to be able to create a character without hard locking my PS3. This is stupid and it honestly would have been better for them to delay the online launch if they needed more time to get their poo poo together.

Delaying wouldn't have achieved anything other than more of a build-up.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jesus christ, apparently if the online does that glitchy mission skip thing when it forces you back to singleplayer at the wrong time, it can gently caress up your entire game and force you to restart story mode. :psyduck:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
This is going about as well as I expected :munch:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I like how killing yourself costs $500 :v:

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

MrLonghair posted:

code:
      Stamina Strength Flying  Lungs 
        \ /     \ /     \ /     \ /
       |---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
Asleep | + |   | + | + |   |   | + |
FaF    | + | - |   |   |   | + |   |
Sports | + | - | + |   |   | - | + |
Legal  | + |   |   | + | + | - |   |
Couch  | - |   |   |   | + | + | - |
Party  | - | + | - | + | - |   | - |
Illegal|   | + |   |   |   | + | - |
            / \     / \     / \
         Shooting Stealth Driving

I dont know what this is since I haven't tried to play online yet, but I'm quoting it so I can find it later.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Couldn't switch character after the update. A restart fixed it.
Can't get into online :(
Edit: restart got me in also. My dude was generated with a bow tie.
Shockingly low rez in the char gen

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 1, 2013

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Yardbomb posted:

Jesus christ, apparently if the online does that glitchy mission skip thing when it forces you back to singleplayer at the wrong time, it can gently caress up your entire game and force you to restart story mode. :psyduck:

Man, this goes a little beyond "rough start", huh.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Not compared to Sim City.

This game at least works everywhere else.

It's only unusual for a console game.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Meanwhile at Rockstar...

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Finally managed to get on (probably won't stay on for long). My guy looks like a sleazy Armenian thug.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Why is my face all bruised and gross?

That character creation was a loving joke. Cool system, if maybe you used characters from your other games...

futureproof
Jul 19, 2006

Victory for the monkey beast!
Alright, gently caress this. I give up. If the original launch is anything to go by I guess I'll try again next week.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Shima Honnou posted:

Man, this goes a little beyond "rough start", huh.

It's the same as every other online launch ever.

It doesn't work for poo poo, crashes, hardlocks, people try all sortsa things to get it to work on their end, people bitch. People say "loving [company X] HAS BIJILAIALAION DOLLARS how do they not buy 6000000 servers and know this was going to be this big?!"

Then it works fine in a few days.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Had a lot of trouble getting it to start like you are all now, but eventually it started working for me. Just be patient. I'll happen (took me over an hour of waiting though)

It's pretty fun. I was only in free roam for awhile before I got into the deathmatch and racing whatever. Been doing that ever since, I like all that I've played except for the COPS EVIDENCE one (basically capture the flag). It was really great with like 16 players all at once, but it took maybe 30-45 minutes, and the only problem there was that the reward was all or nothing. Even though it was super close basically it was 45 minutes of play without getting ANY xp or cash which suuucked.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Athanatos posted:

I don't remember online component launches completely breaking singleplayer for people many times. :v:

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou

Parkingtigers posted:

I can't play yet, drat servers, but my slacker girl Kitty is ready. Yeah, worst creator ever. Can't believe they didn't copy Saints Row and let people sort this out in advance so all the online personas were already stored. I just stopped messing with heritage once I got someone vaguely human looking, and stopped pissing with lifestyle once I got clothes I could put up with for the first hour or so.

How did you get this hat? I only have a choice of 2 snapbacks

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If I reload my character, will the race or whatever is supposed to start it eventually work or do I need to recreate? My character didn't end up looking half bad, but I didn't note what I chose.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

lady blue shanghai posted:

How did you get this hat? I only have a choice of 2 snapbacks

Hat and glasses choices are determined by the outfit your lifestyle choices give you, it seems.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
Aw yep, another corrupt save, another hour gone.

Man I feel Rockstar has always been poo poo with multiplayer, huge shortfalls in one way or another, was pretty evident in Max Payne 3.

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou
Okay so I made a char and it recognized my crew. It kicked me out before I could launch online. I'm back in trying to make a char again, but now it says I don't belong to any crews so I can't do my crew shirt. :confused:

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Seriously, why is my face all bruised and covered in sores? It's not like I had Trevor as a genetic option...

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
You didn't see your face getting more bruised as you slid the 'illegal activity' slider further up?

Sondlar
Sep 9, 2004

lady blue shanghai posted:

Okay so I made a char and it recognized my crew. It kicked me out before I could launch online. I'm back in trying to make a char again, but now it says I don't belong to any crews so I can't do my crew shirt. :confused:

The game is incredibly hosed right now, come back when goons start saying "Hey this poo poo is stable now!". Otherwise you're just wasting time and risking loving up saved games.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Can't get into the game just yet but how is character creation bad? People keep saying it is, but not why it is.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Seriously, why is my face all bruised and covered in sores? It's not like I had Trevor as a genetic option...

It's because you spend all your time doing illegal crimes instead of getting enough sleep or hanging out with friends.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
My dude turned out be a Chinese guy :iiam:

On the other hand, Lamar :woop:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Can't get into the game just yet but how is character creation bad? People keep saying it is, but not why it is.

You don't make your character. You choose 4 grandparents from tiny thumbnails and adjust sliders for who you look like more.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
I made a different character and got to the race but now I am just stuck in the launching session screen. I am going to wait it out hopefully it works. If not try, try and try again.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Athanatos posted:

No it isn't and it's hilarious that people are saying it is.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Aphrodite posted:

You don't make your character. You choose 4 grandparents from tiny thumbnails and adjust sliders for who you look like more.

:psyduck:

Well alright then. That's pretty terrible.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

iRend posted:

You didn't see your face getting more bruised as you slid the 'illegal activity' slider further up?

poo poo, really? Mine started at like 8 hours, and I left it there, I slid down family time to 0.5 hours and dumped everything else into athletics, I didn't realize those affected appearance, I assumed only stats...

Oh well, it's not like this character will be around long... Countdown to save game corruption...

futureproof
Jul 19, 2006

Victory for the monkey beast!

Aphrodite posted:

Which would be okay if you could clearly see the grandparent options and they didn't look like loving mutants.

RamrodMC
Mar 2, 2011

midget astronaut

poptart_fairy posted:

You don't create your character, the game does. You get to pick your character's grandparents, the game determines how this makes your parents look, then you pick how much you resemble either one of your parents. The clothes you wear and neatness of your appearance is decided by the number of points you spend determining how you spend 24 hours in a day, which also determines your starting stats.

When it comes to picking how your character actually looks, after letting the game pick your face and skin colour, all the player really gets to do is pick the hair, facial hair, hat, glasses and T-shirt you wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

poptart_fairy posted:

:psyduck:

Well alright then. That's pretty terrible.

There were also suppose to be a lot more options for special parents (or at least thats the impression I was under). Only special I had was John Marston.

I was hoping I could make my father be Trevor and my mother Trevor's mom :(

• Locked thread