Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
I saw earlier in the thread people were unloading their Game of Thrones 2nd edition stuff. Anyone still doing so? I'm about to get into the game and dumpinf $80ish on Coresets that are 90% duplicates is just rubbish. I really wish FF would just stop this poo poo. It's abominable money grubbing at its worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
AGoT is not 90% duplicates though. It's one of the core set boxes with the most uniques because there are so many factions. The duplicates you get are mostly needed for multi deck building anyways (most neutrals esepcially).

Also, if you go by Barnes and Noble right now they're 50-75% off (10-20 bucks).

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

sicarius posted:

I saw earlier in the thread people were unloading their Game of Thrones 2nd edition stuff. Anyone still doing so? I'm about to get into the game and dumpinf $80ish on Coresets that are 90% duplicates is just rubbish. I really wish FF would just stop this poo poo. It's abominable money grubbing at its worst.

Were they unloading 1st edition stuff? The 2nd is a really strong game, and the core sets are really set up to have very little duplication.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

Bottom Liner posted:

Also, if you go by Barnes and Noble right now they're 50-75% off (10-20 bucks).

Really? I checked that and their website is still listing them at full price. Any idea when this ends? If that's the case I don't mind shelling out the cash.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

In store only, happens until all of the clearance stock is sold. Every few weeks the discount increases 50-75-90.

You can use their website to check stock of the items you want in your area or call your local stores and ask them to hold them for you. Some stores will even show the discount price, if not call and ask them if theirs is included on the clearance.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 2, 2016

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

sicarius posted:

Unlike Netrunner, Thrones (and Conquest) have a wider variety of cards and almost all cards as 1x in core, so there are fewer "unusable copies" of things - the downside being that you really need core #3, instead of core #3 being something that tournament players begrudgingly acquire for SanSan and Desperado only or whatever.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

Bottom Liner posted:

In store only, happens until all of the clearance stock is sold. Every few weeks the discount increases 50-75-90.

You can use their website to check stock of the items you want in your area or call your local stores and ask them to hold them for you. Some stores will even show the discount price, if not call and ask them if theirs is included on the clearance.

Awesome. In stock 10 miles from me. Guess I'm making a trip tomorrow. So 3 cores is basically necessary? Oh well, there goes $70.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
The B&N sale (for GoT specifically) is not happening at every location. I've checked two in SoCal and neither had it on sale.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

Merauder posted:

The B&N sale (for GoT specifically) is not happening at every location. I've checked two in SoCal and neither had it on sale.

The one closest to me says 39.97, the one on the OTHER side of Nashville is on sale. It's 10 miles, but it's around a lake, 20ish minute drive, but to save 50% it's worth it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Merauder posted:

This is true, but some will still price match if it's showing the sales price online in other stores like that. Some won't, all depends on the worker you ask. I got Descent 2.0 for $20 this way last year.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

Bottom Liner posted:

This is true, but some will still price match if it's showing the sales price online in other stores like that. Some won't, all depends on the worker you ask. I got Descent 2.0 for $20 this way last year.

Store had one copy out, three in stock. They couldn't find them because their clearance stuff is all over the back in boxes. The other nearby store has them at $40 and won't price match because it's not considered clearance product for them (I called). Local store will call me if they find them (I hope, I know how retail works), but I may just head back out there today after I finish work. I'd really like to get all 3 copies at $20... would be an excellent scoop since even online retailers and Amazon have them ~$32

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
How many Star Wars Core Sets are needed for a complete set?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You need 2 cores for Star Wars due to the restriction of having max two of a pod in your deck.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Merauder posted:

How many Star Wars Core Sets are needed for a complete set?

Also note that the first deluxe expansion "Edge of Darkness" requires 2 for a complete set as well. Everything else that's been printed is a 1-off.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Thanks guys.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Is there any way to use the LoTR deckbuilder or something similar on a phone/tablet? I'm slightly inconvenienced by having to move my cards to where my computer is.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
RingsDB.com

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

^ lol

Not sure if there's a good offline option.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
If anyone is looking to pick up some LOTR, the MM sale has three saga sets (Both Hobbits, Treason of Saruman) and a deluxe expansion (Khazad-Dum) on sale. Get your dwarf on.

$16 each pretty drat solid: https://www.miniaturemarket.com/searchresults?q=lord+of+the+rings+lcg

e: WH: Conquest Great Devourer for cheap too and some Star Wars stuff.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 6, 2016

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Is a second core necessary for 3 player LotR? Currently I've got one core, the first six adventure packs and both hobbit expansions. Also khazad dum, but it's in another state for the moment so well ignore it.

I stuffed it in thinking we'd only play two player if at all, but there's a moderate chance we'll have three interested players now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Not really, no. If anything, just proxy a few Gandalfs but 2x core is pretty solid.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Use a couple d10s to track your threat, and then you're good to go to add a third player

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Cool, sounds good. As for quests out of the above, should I just start off with the core quests in order, or are there some more engaging/interesting ones? I've played LotR before but I would be teaching the other two for the first time. They're both familiar with many board games, mtg, etc. though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I would skip Escape from Dol Guldur because that quest is a shitshow.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Start with Passage through Mirkwood. Then if you're going to play a lot, do the Hobbit Saga. Otherwise do Journey down the Anduin then move onto the first cycle. Don't repeat Anduin if you lose either.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Amoeba102 posted:

Start with Passage through Mirkwood. Then if you're going to play a lot, do the Hobbit Saga. Otherwise do Journey down the Anduin then move onto the first cycle. Don't repeat Anduin if you lose either.
Thanks for the replies.

I might try and steer them towards the hobbit saga since I haven't played that at all yet. I also realized I've only got two decks built currently, more or less the two from the beorn's path blog, so I'll have to cobble something else together beforehand. I'm sure the people I'm teaching would like the deck building aspect, but I want to minimize prep/setup for their first game and get into the actual gameplay as soon as possible.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Multiplayer is a great time to play around with monosphere decks.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
If you want to go to worlds for conquest you still can. It's the only one with tickets available 7+ hours later. Then again putting anything against Thrones seems like a bad idea.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Found a nearby B&N that was able to hold the 1/2 price AGOT 2nd edition for me so I'll have 2 core sets. Can anyone point me towards a few decent decks I can build with just the 2 cores for some casual playing with friends?

Edit: Never mind! Found some good resources. In case anyone else is ever interested:
Mono Faction: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1462963/8-mono-faction-decks-2-or-3-core-sets/page/1
2 Faction: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/123229/deck-lists-two-core-sets

Radioactive Toy fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 10, 2016

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I played several games of AGoT 2.0 with friends and enjoyed it immensely. I decided to buy into the game. Got lucky and found a guy offloading his entire collection of 3x Cores + 1 of the first five expansions for like $80.

I think this means I'm only missing one small pack and the big white Stark box?

Anyway I haven't been into this style of card game in over a decade. I don't think I'd played one since high school in the late 90s.

For my first few forays into AGoT, I played a few pre-constructed decks my buddies had put together, including one Targ/Lannister that was all about murderin' people. That was fun.

I'll probably continue to net-deck for a while until I figure out the game, but that brings me to my real questions:

Are there any resources about how to play the game itself? About what makes a good deck versus a bad deck? General guidelines for building a deck?

I'm not talking about the actual rules from the rulebook, but more the general principles of playing a head-to-head card game. I can find premade decks everywhere. I'm interested in why the various cards are in each deck.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You're correct about what you're missing.

For resources:

Cardgamedb is a good place to start because pretty much everyone who writes an article links it there, and the forums are good for rules clarifications.
ThronesDB is where you want to go for decklists. The better entries will have card choices explained and match writeups.
This thread has a ton of links to good stuff. [Skip the "general tips" article that's linked but read the ones titled "building your main deck" and "building your plot deck"]

As far as general deckbuilding guidelines go, a good general tip is to make sure that you don't have more than like a dozen cards that you can't play during setup, like events or attachments that have to go on opponents or whatever.

It's kinda hard to make a truly bad deck right now. Every faction has pretty clear synergies, and even the weaker factions like Tyrell or Night's Watch have themes you can build around and win with, especially if you're just playing casually with your friends.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Swagger Dagger posted:

You're correct about what you're missing.

For resources:

Cardgamedb is a good place to start because pretty much everyone who writes an article links it there, and the forums are good for rules clarifications.
ThronesDB is where you want to go for decklists. The better entries will have card choices explained and match writeups.
This thread has a ton of links to good stuff. [Skip the "general tips" article that's linked but read the ones titled "building your main deck" and "building your plot deck"]

As far as general deckbuilding guidelines go, a good general tip is to make sure that you don't have more than like a dozen cards that you can't play during setup, like events or attachments that have to go on opponents or whatever.

It's kinda hard to make a truly bad deck right now. Every faction has pretty clear synergies, and even the weaker factions like Tyrell or Night's Watch have themes you can build around and win with, especially if you're just playing casually with your friends.

Thanks! A lot of that seems logical. Duplicates of important cards, don't take too many crazy expensive cards, don't neglect your economy. I did learn a lot about the terminology of the game so that will help, too!

I also found that Targ/Lannister murder deck in that deckbuilding site. I guess it's good?
https://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/4183/targ-lion-w-mirri-dallas-regional-first-place-deck-1.0

That poo poo was awesome and fun to play.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, even after a full cycle and the first big box, most factions just have a straightforward archetype that you can't really get away from without doing some creative mixing or deck building. Starks have the most now (aggro wolves, power rush, standard) and Lannister have a few styles as well, but just look through each house and you'll see their theme.

As for a fun deck you might miss otherwise, Tyrrell/Stark Knights & Ladies is really fun and can pull off big power rush combos. Control Lannister fealty is still my favorite. Basically Lannister with all of the intrigue boosting plot/events/locations and Cersei. Warning, if you're playing casually this can be a really unfun deck to play against.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Most important rule about playing Thrones: Don't play Night's Watch unless you hate yourself, or hate winning.

Boy oh boy how I must hate myself!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Night's Watch is fine though, are you running anything besides the standard list? They're definitely the most shallow strategy wise, but that strategy is pretty consistent. I really enjoy them because they're a very different playstyle than most decks. I also really like the Baratheon/Watch deck that combines kneels and location power gain/dominance bonuses.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I haven't followed whatever "the standard list" is, no. I'm assuming it's a Fealty style build that I've heard rumblings about? I don't get to play particularly often so I'm not up to speed on a lot of the leading lists or what not.

I've been playing with a NW / Sun list, with Martell supporting with Intrigue & Power icon removal primarily, forcing them into Military challenges which are punished by The Watchers on the Walls, theoretically. The Wall its self does the heavy lifting Power-wise of course, in addition to the occasional unopposed challenge win going second. Tossed in The Shadow Tower for some extra difficulty to have to play around, because they either have to over-commit on the first challenge leaving subsequent stuff weaker anyway, or risk losing their key characters for challenges that phase. On paper it all sounds great, and when it works it's fun to have a neat sort of board control and mind game going on, but in execution it feels really draw dependent and missing any one piece at the wrong time and the whole thing comes crumbling down, if you pardon the pun.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Merauder posted:

Most important rule about playing Thrones: Don't play Night's Watch unless you hate yourself, or hate winning.

Boy oh boy how I must hate myself!

I'll probably play a bit of everything.

Merauder posted:

missing any one piece at the wrong time and the whole thing comes crumbling down, if you pardon the pun.

How thematic. To paraphrase a medieval strategist: a wall is only as strong as the men who guard it.

Bottom Liner posted:

I also really like the Baratheon/Watch deck that combines kneels and location power gain/dominance bonuses.

I ran across that Baratheon/Watch deck while reading up last night. It sounds like it'd either be awesome or incredibly boring.

I'll probably try it at one point. Sometimes it's hilarious to just be obstructionist, but eventually the novelty wears thin.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Of course Night Watch is weak. The wall was meant to fall.

Conspiracy101.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I played Martell/NW for a while. It was tons of fun when it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Also, how do you guys store all this poo poo? I'll probably get a couple of deck boxes to cart decks around to game nights, but what about the other 1500 cards that aren't in my active decks?