Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Phrasing posted:

Vasquez and Gorman died so . . .

We never saw that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Radiochromatic posted:

So I gave my Man At Arms a couple of trinkets that boost his damage, so long as he's in the front row, and now he can two shot most monsters just by hollering at them.

If you pair her up with a Plague Doctor that has Emboldening Vapours, and you'll never have to worry about any of her skills' damage debuffs.

I could also bring a Crusader or a Leper or whatever instead, and instead of having the Plague Doctor compensating for the Hellion's exhaustion she could be actually buffing someone else's damage, or doing other useful things like stunning or healing.

Also I don't really get the love for bleed skills (and blight skills). You always want to kill someone as fast as possible so there's an incentive to front-load damage. I would rather hit a boss with a reliable 15-20 damage skill than hit them for half that and stack a bleed on top. What's the advantage?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Boing posted:

I could also bring a Crusader or a Leper or whatever instead, and instead of having the Plague Doctor compensating for the Hellion's exhaustion she could be actually buffing someone else's damage, or doing other useful things like stunning or healing.

Also I don't really get the love for bleed skills (and blight skills). You always want to kill someone as fast as possible so there's an incentive to front-load damage. I would rather hit a boss with a reliable 15-20 damage skill than hit them for half that and stack a bleed on top. What's the advantage?

Bleed will tick every time an enemy acts and it stacks with itself so it's very useful for bosses that act multiple times per round like the Prophet or Hag. Prophet was taking 45 bleed damage per turn last time I faced him. He died quickly.

I generally agree with your assessment that frontloading damage is the best strategy for common fights.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Boing posted:

Against a non-marked opponent that isn't undead, If It Bleeds has the highest damage of any attack in the game except the Leper's Chop (which has much lower accuracy and crit)... and then it does mid-level bleed damage on top of that. If the bleed sticks, that's +2/3/4 damage before the enemy gets a chance to do anything. That puts its damage above the Leper, and with the Leper's accuracy problems If It Bleeds is about as likely to successfully proc bleed as the Leper is to hit at all.

That adds up to about 1.5x the damage of mid-level hitters, assuming one tick of bleed. And anything that survives more than a round is going to take even more damage due to stacking bleed. To put this in perspective, against a boss Hellions can just about stand up to Bounty Hunters and Arbalests in terms of sustained DPS, except Hellions don't need any setup time or support. In regular fights they can bust out turn 1 damage that hunters and arbalests can only dream about.

And there's no exhaustion on If It Bleeds--only its bigger, meaner cousin Bleed Out. Which is simply the hardest hitting attack in the game, full stop, that also hits with a bleed stack as large as the strongest dedicated bleed/blight skills. It's so strong that even after an exhaustion debuff it's still hitting harder than anyone else. Barbaric YAWP! is similarly top of its class: an AoE extra-strength stun attack. Nobody can come close to what it does.

Breakthrough is nothing special these days, but it's still a size 3 AoE attack and will demolish enemies in the hands of a buffed Hellion. Highwaymen are much better dedicated crowd clearers since they don't self-debuff, but Breakthrough is a hell of a nuke to have in your back pocket.

Hellions can wreck faces all day like no one else, then bust out even bigger guns when things get tough. As long as you're not spamming Breakthrough every turn their damage is high enough that even with occasional exhaustion penalties they'll still more than pull their weight.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I pretty much never use breakthrough and my Hellion still wrecks house with If it Bleeds. Sometimes Iron Swan or Wicked Hack get used but mostly Bleeds.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Alright, I guess I was still trying to use the Hellion for big AoE damage like before the nerf and finding it lackluster. I'll try the bleed skills and see if it feels any better.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Protection mechanics reworked

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

An update!

Red Hook posted:

- Reworked PROTection mechanics. PROT is now direct damage migitation from normal (non-DOT) hits, instead of the old PROT% x maxHP system. This was required because the old system did -not properly power scale, leading to situations where heroes could become nearly (or fully) invulnerable. Now a PROT of 30%, for example, means that 30% of incoming damage is mitigated. There is a hard internal cap that we will be tuning on an ongoing basis.
- Tuning adjustment for all PROT related buffs, trinkets, skills, and monsters/bosses to fit the new system. Expect ongoing balance adjustments.
- Re-normalized hero weapon damage progressions, which will aid in future hero tuning. Most heroes had their top end damage increased, some by as much as 15%. Tuning will be happening on an ongoing basis.
- Man-at-Arms: removed stun effect from riposte and lowered overall base damage and crit
- Man-at-Arms: increased PROT buff from Guard
- Leper: Withstand - increased PROT buff
- Leper: Increased crit on AIM buff
- Occultist: Increased proc and strength of Weakening Curse, Vulnerability Curse
- Vestal: Balance adjustment on Vestal: "Illumination" and "Hand of Light". Damage and crit reduced but debuff proc and strength increases
- Increased proc of enemy Weakening Curse, Vulnerability Curse
- Increased Light side effect slightly from hero skills (Vestal, etc.)
- Fix to negative camping points due to skill selection bug
- Deselecting the move toggles the move off when not in combat
- Quest curios now have purple outlines when active
- Fixed camping skill exploit
- Fix to skill and buff tooltips

brocretin fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 3, 2015

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Apparently they hosed it up and all damage is borked now.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

Apparently they hosed it up and all damage is borked now.

Yah just started up a new game and attacks are ranging from 0-2 damage for both myself and enemies.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
With the constant low numbers, how is a % reduction useful at all?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The constant low numbers are a bug. If I had to guess they probably made a boneheaded mistake related to the protection cap and now everything is treated as being against max protection.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Gabriel Pope posted:

The constant low numbers are a bug. If I had to guess they probably made a boneheaded mistake related to the protection cap and now everything is treated as being against max protection.
Programming is hard

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
poo poo's fixed, they claim

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Values seems fine on my end, at least.

Is the Man-at-arms really that great? I only had one for a short time before he died, and he didn't seem that hot. No others have shown up in the hero cart since, so I can't try it out again.

I really like the Vestal/Arbalest/Bounty-Hunter/Crusader party, tough. Plenty of stuns that then become extra damage for the dps, moderate healing, two sources of marking and some decent debuffs.

As far as heroes go, I love the Jester and Grave Robber, but their position dancing means that things can go bad really quick if they are in the wrong place at the wrong time, and sometimes they can push a frontline-focused guy out of place right when he needs to be there the most.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Did they say you can sell trinkets? How?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Sephyr posted:

Values seems fine on my end, at least.

Is the Man-at-arms really that great? I only had one for a short time before he died, and he didn't seem that hot. No others have shown up in the hero cart since, so I can't try it out again.

I really like the Vestal/Arbalest/Bounty-Hunter/Crusader party, tough. Plenty of stuns that then become extra damage for the dps, moderate healing, two sources of marking and some decent debuffs.

As far as heroes go, I love the Jester and Grave Robber, but their position dancing means that things can go bad really quick if they are in the wrong place at the wrong time, and sometimes they can push a frontline-focused guy out of place right when he needs to be there the most.

Man-at-Arms Riposte was really too good, haven't tried it since the newest patch that nerfs it.

Old version:

Riposte works from any of the first front rows AND hits one of the first 3 enemies. Pretty insane flexibility.
Riposte's parry ability works even if you miss!
Parry is infinite, so it doesn't just parry once, it parries everything hitting you (including AoEs), until your MaA's turn.
Parry also procs when an attack has no intrinsic damage component.
Parry also procs when the enemy misses or you dodge.
Parry can crit, which heals stress for your party.
Parry can also stun the opponent.
Parry also buffs your PROT. Imagine the crusader/leper PROT buff skill, but only lasting 1 turn, but on the other hand, attached to an attack, which parries. Insane.

And this is only 1 of his skills.

All his buffs are party wide, his camp skill buffs are insanely good it's ridiculous, he has a move of 2, he has a front 1 attack

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Waffle! posted:

Did they say you can sell trinkets? How?

Shift-click on items in your inventory.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

The cannon boss seems to be bugged. You get loot for every individual bandit you defeat, which means that if you're killing like, 15 bandits or so over the course of the fight you get a shitload of loot when the fight ends. Not that I'm, like, complaining or anything.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dackel posted:

Parry also buffs your PROT. Imagine the crusader/leper PROT buff skill, but only lasting 1 turn, but on the other hand, attached to an attack, which parries. Insane.

No, it still lasts as long as every other buff. So using Riposte over multiple turn stacks up 2-3x the prot (it's always been less base prot than the other protection buffs though.)

They lowered the base damage and removed the stun. Still pretty fantastic.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Gabriel Pope posted:

No, it still lasts as long as every other buff. So using Riposte over multiple turn stacks up 2-3x the prot (it's always been less base prot than the other protection buffs though.)

They lowered the base damage and removed the stun. Still pretty fantastic.

I must be blind, I thought it only lasted during Riposte. I mean less base prot is fine, since unlike other buff skills you actually do an attack and an extra thing too.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Dackel posted:

I must be blind, I thought it only lasted during Riposte. I mean less base prot is fine, since unlike other buff skills you actually do an attack and an extra thing too.

I just started a new game to fart around on this, and I think I remember the Prot lasting more than a turn, but the Marked and Riposte statuses go away on his turn. So you're 2/3s right.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
:toot:
Just got all bosses down, all classes to level6, on week 71. Beat that, suckas.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Nooooooo look what they did to Hell's Hairpin

The fiends. RIP that and Bleeding Pendant

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

This isn't about the new stuff, but holy balls do two Sun Rings on a Leper help out a ton in the lower ranks. +20% ACC and +40% DMG? Don't mind if I do! Also found a couple belts for the Highwayman that are like Sun Rings+ for ranged attacks, so I had such a wrecking crew after the first few missions that My A-team was level 3 before any of the low level bosses unlocked.

EDIT: Also found two Ancestral items for PD that give +30% Blight/Stun chance each for only a minor drawback (I think -CRT or -DMG or something). Even with those available I haven't really used PD this round. I loved them my first playthrough but killing 2-3 people in the first round with buffed Hew or Grapeshot is too good to pass up.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Nooooooo look what they did to Hell's Hairpin

The fiends. RIP that and Bleeding Pendant

What was it before?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

It just so happens that I have a screenshot I've posted before! It feels like half my posts in this thread have been shots of Hellion trinkets actually.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Someone please tell me how the Jester is any good. I thought he sucked originally, then I was told to use him as a front or for bleeds, but man does his damage suck poo poo. He's like the PD but without healing. If his bleeds or Solo could hit from the back row it might make him passable, but I can't seem to make him not be a drag and a liability. Especially now that I can use my Arbalest for a party +2 speed buff instead of the song.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Idiot moron babies like to keep him in the back and have him sing. You want to stack +damage stuff on him and have him do heroic end exactly once because you only need to do it once.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
That feeling when a Swinetaur on his last 3hp crits your entire party for 20+dam, putting everybody at Deaths Door and its so stressful of course that two of your guys become paranoid and fearful which then stresses everybody else out even more and now they are also afflicted. You can only sit there and wait for two minutes while everything spirales downhill. But! You manage to kill the Swine and use your remaining food to keep everybody alive because you only need to enter this one last room to clear the dungeon. The party takes one step into the hallway and decides "we are hungry now feed us" but there is no food left so it's back to Deaths Door for everyone and so I gave up and left the dungeon because I was obviously not supposed to win this thing.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah, it's been discussed before, but the randomness of hunger pangs leads to some silly and unreasonable situations. Props for knowing when to leave though.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Eat in rooms not in hallways

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Is it me or are interactable doodads in dungeons lame and disappointing. You either have to memorize the effects possibly using spoilers or risk wasting items, because a ton of the item interactions are not intuitive at all, and there really isn't much strategy or depth to them even when you know what items to use.

At the very least, it seems really dumb that you can choose to use items that don't actually do anything, and then the item is just wasted. At that point it's just memorization/consulting a list.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Periodiko posted:

Is it me or are interactable doodads in dungeons lame and disappointing. You either have to memorize the effects possibly using spoilers or risk wasting items, because a ton of the item interactions are not intuitive at all, and there really isn't much strategy or depth to them even when you know what items to use.

At the very least, it seems really dumb that you can choose to use items that don't actually do anything, and then the item is just wasted. At that point it's just memorization/consulting a list.

It's experimentation, but it's consistent. So unless you have good memory, just consult a Curio guide. No shame in it. You still won't 100% get what you want, you just get a better return on investment, and you get better at bringing the "correct" amount of supplies to a run.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
It's nice that there is a variety of things and you need to take a variety of items to "unlock" them, but I agree that the Curio should just "tell" you what item you need. "This rotten carcass still has some meat on it, use some herbs to cleanse it?" You'll look at a list anyway.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Dackel posted:

It's experimentation, but it's consistent. So unless you have good memory, just consult a Curio guide. No shame in it. You still won't 100% get what you want, you just get a better return on investment, and you get better at bringing the "correct" amount of supplies to a run.

I think Periodiko was talking more about it being a weak point in the game's design, not how to personally optimize reward. I feel the same way. I also wish you could manage your inventory when camping, maybe by "selling" some rewards stacks for a discount so you can free up space. Even in Medium dungeons I have to leave behind either a fair amount of loot or throw away some supply items to make room for that loot, which is at best a waste of that initial investment and at worst you throw away a shovel near the end of a run and immediately hit a blockage.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
If it's not desirable for the intractable objects to say what item they need, some key words for each use item would be handy. Anything holy water works on will have key words talking about unholy curses or need for consecration. Things with blight and disease need herbs, rusted or blood caked spikes need bandages, etc

Make it intuitive what object you need instead of spelling it out, they are simple puzzles but make you feel smart about things

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I keep wanting to play this, getting past the first expedition or two, then quitting when things go wrong instead of rolling with the punches. Why am I so terrible about video games. :(

Silus
Dec 28, 2012

I've found that getting people to resolve level 1 and upgrading one thing of theirs (I usually go for weapons) helps immensely in the early game. Even throwing fresh off the wagon teams through the dungeon meatgrinder, you'll eventually get lucky and have a team complete a mission and level up.
I usually choose a team to take care of early on, and let everyone else get killed / kicked out as needed. Once you have a team established a little, you can use them to earn money and kill bosses.

Some thoughts on the early game: supply items are less useful with a group of level 0s, as there's a good chance they won't make it through enough dungeon to even use one. Food, torches and shovels are more important. If I don't have an occultist / vestal for healing, I'll grab 12 food even on short missions. 6 torches and one shovel, as well. Sometimes you get cultists who will dim the light, and low light runs wreck most teams unless you have trinkets and classes set up for it. I never go without a shovel either, since digging through a blockage by hand can flat out end a run.
Whenever the torch dips below 75 I pop a new one to keep the light at Radiant, ignore most interactives unless I know they have a good shot at loot (I'll check chests without a skeleton key on hand, but I won't bother with things like the confessional booth).
Upgrading the wagon first is a huge boon. Just being able to grab the 4 new people and throw them on a team if needed gives you a lot of breathing room. My next couple of upgrades are usually the abbey and blacksmith.

Ultimately, you should know that your early hires are expendable. My latest re-start has had me lose 6 out of my first 10 missions. I was able to retreat each time and at least gain a little bit of loot over my supply costs, so I've slowly gained money to keep my A team improving over time. Each of those lost missions represented two or so hires who were then kicked out due to high stress at the end.

ETA: the beginning is by far the hardest part of the game right now, IMO. Scavenging for resources while desperately trying to string together a victory somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

I keep wanting to play this, getting past the first expedition or two, then quitting when things go wrong instead of rolling with the punches. Why am I so terrible about video games. :(

You can just throw heroes into the meatgrinder w/out torches forever to build up lots of resources before trying to actually build a competent hero party. Try that. Just bring 8 food (12 for a medium mission) and one shovel. Open everything for more loot. Judiciously kick out anyone who's stressed out or has negative traits. Upgrade the wagon a lot.