Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This is my punishment for continuing to post on GameFAQs (I only use their music boards, I swear!). This happened in a thread about B.o.B's flat earth+Holocaust denial song.

This is my first time taking screenshots and using imgur on an iPad so I apologize if anything is messed up. I believe the third and fourth images got switched.
http://imgur.com/a/Tz1Hu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chiparus
May 7, 2012
This was the first comment on the picture of some kid with some crystals in his hands.

"My daughter is definitely a reincarnated mermaid." :allears:

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Chiparus posted:

I thought I was a reincarnated dolphin just after my parents installed an above ground pool when I was 6. I can't even imagine how hosed up I'd be now if my parents encouraged that delusion.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is my punishment for continuing to post on GameFAQs (I only use their music boards, I swear!). This happened in a thread about B.o.B's flat earth+Holocaust denial song.

This is my first time taking screenshots and using imgur on an iPad so I apologize if anything is messed up. I believe the third and fourth images got switched.

I really, really wanted to find some humour in this, but there isn't any. What a fuckass.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Perry Normal posted:

I don't know if Blue is a glutton for punishment or if he just has the patience of whatever's Islam's equivalent of Job is.
That would be Job.

subpar anachronism posted:

How can you tell if someone is a vegan? Wait for them to constantly post on facebook about how hard it is to be an upstanding, harassed vegan.
I'm not a vegan, but I'm not a big fan of cake. When someone asks me if I want cake, I often say "No thanks." and then they just don't give me any cake. :shrug:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Chiparus posted:

This was the first comment on the picture of some kid with some crystals in his hands.

Ugh, she's not a reincarnated mermaid. She's merely possessed and remembering the possessors memories.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

My cousin's a little off the deep end, religiously.

how could people have thought that this was written by c.s. Lewis when it references video games

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Oh "works at: homeschooling mom and writer" nvm

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Tiggum posted:

That would be Job.

I'm not a vegan, but I'm not a big fan of cake. When someone asks me if I want cake, I often say "No thanks." and then they just don't give me any cake. :shrug:

The trick is to ask them if they'd like to know why you don't want any cake.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Its not a man! His a straight bitch!

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Chiparus posted:

To me, the dumbest part of this is "My daughter's a reincarnated mermaid, uhhhh what stones does she like? Why, every one I can think of with a 'watery' word in its name, of course! And also opal, the fancy creativity/inspiration water stone!"

Although, it is possible her daughter just decided she was a mermaid and picked out her own rocks because the names made sense with a mermaid theme (and opal because it's pretty). That actually makes sense.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The sirens were bird-women, not mermaids.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Byzantine posted:

The sirens were bird-women, not mermaids.

Mythology changes over time, and sirens got conflated with mermaids. Of all the stupid things in that post, a lack of knowledge of Greek mythology is the least stupid.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Henchman of Santa posted:

No one wrote anything down before databases were invented.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
The fucker even quotes himself in his sig lol. What a dork.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That domestic abuse poster kinda reminds me of an old advert from the late 90s or early 2000s with the idea of 'Don't let rage make you do something you'll wish you hadn't". The structure was a man gets frustrated with some tiny thing and starts getting violent, and in the mirror you see his 'conscience'/future-self-looking-back, banging on the glass yelling at himself to stop. Don't know if the advert was a god one or a problematic one but it was an interesting take on the issue.

Here's the ad (SOME PEOPLE MAY FIND THIS UPSETTING. Just thought I'd add a warning just in case :) ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzDr18UYO18

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

This is L@ame

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

BioEnchanted posted:

That domestic abuse poster kinda reminds me of an old advert from the late 90s or early 2000s with the idea of 'Don't let rage make you do something you'll wish you hadn't". The structure was a man gets frustrated with some tiny thing and starts getting violent, and in the mirror you see his 'conscience'/future-self-looking-back, banging on the glass yelling at himself to stop. Don't know if the advert was a god one or a problematic one but it was an interesting take on the issue.

Here's the ad (SOME PEOPLE MAY FIND THIS UPSETTING. Just thought I'd add a warning just in case :) ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzDr18UYO18

They had some anti-rape ones done the same way and those were really disturbing as well.

okay
Jan 28, 2009
I was reading the comments for this article, and came across the following:

I was rolling my eyes at the estimated caloric intake/exercise the response was claiming until I got to the end. Way to prove a point, I guess?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

okay posted:

I was reading the comments for this article, and came across the following:

I was rolling my eyes at the estimated caloric intake/exercise the response was claiming until I got to the end. Way to prove a point, I guess?

Well I mean yeah, the point is maybe don't assume fat people you don't know are all unhealthy slobs who don't deserve well-made clothing like the other comments were implying.

okay
Jan 28, 2009
^ Yes, but I thought it was odd to get angry about a statement saying diet and exercise typically lead to weight loss by saying she lost weight through diet and exercise. I don't disagree with the article's sentiment, btw.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Nah, it just gets tiresome seeing the same "If fat then diet and exercise and then magically thin as a model!" as though different body types and metabolism aren't a thing. Like yeah you'll lose weight but unless you're super athletic and on a severe diet, you're probably going to hit a certain plateau, and that plateau is usually not "looks like a clothing model."

Also I really hate the "physics!" argument, since it ignores that the body has a lot of various things going on, so it's not like putting fuel in a car. Cars don't react to less fuel by reducing the amount burned and storing as much as possible.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

This is mindbogglingly stupid even for a fake IQ test. So many things wrong with it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Actually quite impressed he/she was able to deduct 19 from 100.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I thought the whole point of those was that they scored you 100+ no matter what.

Who wants to brag on Facebook about being below average?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Puppy Time posted:

Nah, it just gets tiresome seeing the same "If fat then diet and exercise and then magically thin as a model!" as though different body types and metabolism aren't a thing. Like yeah you'll lose weight but unless you're super athletic and on a severe diet, you're probably going to hit a certain plateau, and that plateau is usually not "looks like a clothing model."

Also I really hate the "physics!" argument, since it ignores that the body has a lot of various things going on, so it's not like putting fuel in a car. Cars don't react to less fuel by reducing the amount burned and storing as much as possible.

Actually cars might be a good analogy since they burn their gasoline at wildly different levels. You can fine tune your pickup truck, get it detailed, maybe add a racing stripe - make it look drat good. But it's never going to be a Prius.

I should put that in an image macro, save and resave it 20 times in a lossy format, add a Minion, and post that poo poo to Facebook.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
You need to respond saying congrats on being slightly smarter than Forest Gump.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Actually cars might be a good analogy since they burn their gasoline at wildly different levels. You can fine tune your pickup truck, get it detailed, maybe add a racing stripe - make it look drat good. But it's never going to be a Prius.

I should put that in an image macro, save and resave it 20 times in a lossy format, add a Minion, and post that poo poo to Facebook.

A lot of weight loss plateaus are actually just water weight, the subject is still losing fat but because the scale weight stays the same for weeks or months they assume they are not so give up, big water retention plateaus are probably more common and severe on larger calorie deficits. There are *some* differences between the metabolic rates of different people, but far less than you might think, and never insurmountable. I've heard +/- about 10% bandied around, about 300 calories (one candy bar/30 minutes jogging) a day.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Parasol Prophet posted:

I thought the whole point of those was that they scored you 100+ no matter what.

Who wants to brag on Facebook about being below average?

The person who posted it normally doesn't post poo poo like that and is a teacher, so I'm thinking he accidentally let some other app post to his wall that started posting spam. I'd guess the low score is to try to bait idiots into going "I can beat that!". I like how 87 is in the top pentile, but somehow the average is 98.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

This is mindbogglingly stupid even for a fake IQ test. So many things wrong with it.

Oh now come on, this has to be a joke

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The person who posted it normally doesn't post poo poo like that and is a teacher, so I'm thinking he accidentally let some other app post to his wall that started posting spam. I'd guess the low score is to try to bait idiots into going "I can beat that!". I like how 87 is in the top pentile, but somehow the average is 98.

19.31 is not the top percentile, it means 19.31% of people got 87 or lower.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Fatkraken posted:

A lot of weight loss plateaus are actually just water weight, the subject is still losing fat but because the scale weight stays the same for weeks or months they assume they are not so give up, big water retention plateaus are probably more common and severe on larger calorie deficits. There are *some* differences between the metabolic rates of different people, but far less than you might think, and never insurmountable. I've heard +/- about 10% bandied around, about 300 calories (one candy bar/30 minutes jogging) a day.

I was more referring to people's body types. As in legitimately big boned people trying to become pixies. It's not going to happen, but there are plenty of people who beat themselves up over it.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

A friend just posted their test result, the text above the result is auto generated. Also it seems the US is dumber than the UK :v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I like how 87 is in the top pentile, but somehow the average is 98.

No, "top 81%" is bottom pentile. "Top 20%" is top pentile.

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

lmao, I actually love these because after all the fake IQ tests that let people "prove" how they are so smart FINALLY one comes around that tricks people into flat out bragging that they are dumb as hell

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

Mythology changes over time, and sirens got conflated with mermaids. Of all the stupid things in that post, a lack of knowledge of Greek mythology is the least stupid.

True, but I think it still counts when people claim to have Deep Inner Knowledge and it's obvious they're running on the pop culture version.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Isn't the whole point of IQ that it's supposed to average at 100? Like, the number isn't a representation of how many "smart points" you earned, it's where you fall on the curve of everyone in a population. How would the average be 98?

Am I thinking too much about this? I am the IoSM.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

dirksteadfast posted:

Isn't the whole point of IQ that it's supposed to average at 100? Like, the number isn't a representation of how many "smart points" you earned, it's where you fall on the curve of everyone in a population. How would the average be 98?

Am I thinking too much about this? I am the IoSM.

Let's compare fake IQ results and find out!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

You still have to count the calories of the fries that fell loose into the takeaway bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Oh now come on, this has to be a joke

Harvesting your FB profile data is serious business