Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Koalas March posted:

"These days" That video was made almost 2 decades ago. Let it go.

That entire post is an example of black folks not being allowed to have poo poo in some people's eyes.

And idk man Khufu looks pretty black to me.

If I was a generous person I'd say it might be a result of confusing with the later dynasties that had a lot of Grecian blood in them (supposedly), but I'm not feeling generous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Taerkar posted:

If I was a generous person I'd say it might be a result of confusing with the later dynasties that had a lot of Grecian blood in them (supposedly), but I'm not feeling generous.

Black people can't possibly have a great empire in their heritage, duh!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I didn't even know about Mali until Civ IV. :sigh:

Southern education at its finest.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fluffdaddy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x-1w_vEEEo

This BBC series was pretty interesting

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Taerkar posted:

I didn't even know about Mali until Civ IV. :sigh:

Southern education at its finest.

You never played Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego? You poor, deprived child.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That was too new for my school's budget.

Played the hell out of Number Munchers and Oregon Trail tho!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Fluffdaddy posted:

Am I wrong to feel like the constant rehash of Egypt is really just a distraction from unquestionable achievements of Africans and their history?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

Good it may be, but I'm calling this another example. I know it's still a somewhat controversial topic, but ancient Egyptians are generally thought these days to have looked pretty much the same as they do now, not like Eddie Murphy or Magic Johnson. Iman gets a pass.

This is absolutely not correct.

There are multiple eras of Egypt, and the empire that built the pyramids was not the same dying dynasty that Cleopatra was a part of.

Out of the 31 dynasties of Egypt, the only ones who were not pure African were the last 6, which were a part of the Persian conquest, and the the Greco-Roman periods that followed.

Please don't speak on things you only know as half facts to discount black history.

there wolf posted:

Am I wrong to feel like the constant rehash of Egypt is really just a distraction from unquestionable achievements of Africans and their history?

Attributing the pyramids of Egypt or even the ones in South America to aliens or other supernatural elements feels like a way for them to whitewash POC history.

Fluffdaddy fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 13, 2017

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The whole "Aliens built the pyramids" and similar stuff is Eurocentrism at its finest.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

ReidRansom posted:

Idunno, I feel like either race matters and and should be respected uniformly, or it doesn't and people should just do whatever they want across the board. e: Either one, I don't care which.

Good it may be, but I'm calling this another example. I know it's still a somewhat controversial topic, but ancient Egyptians are generally thought these days to have looked pretty much the same as they do now, not like Eddie Murphy or Magic Johnson. Iman gets a pass.

This is really dumb because there are Egyptians today that look more like Eddie Murphy or Magic Johnson than they do Omar Sharif

Taerkar posted:

The Pyramids were as ancient to Cleopatra (a descendant of the Greek General Alexander placed in charge of Egypt before his death) as she is to us today. They vastly predate any foreign influence in the area.

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 13, 2017

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Taerkar posted:

The whole "Aliens built the pyramids" and similar stuff is Eurocentrism at its finest.

Its double hosed because it reinforces the idea that Egypt did not matter except those 300 or so years it hosed with Rome as opposed to the preceding nearly 2500 years.

Edit: To extrapolate further, the Egyptians and the Sumerians were discovering the Pythagorean theorem while Europeans were still wandering the forest like cavemen and those Greeks had the loving nerve to name it after themselves nearly two millennia later.

Fluffdaddy fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 13, 2017

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Fluffdaddy posted:

There are multiple eras of Egypt, and the empire that built the pyramids was not the same dying dynasty that Cleopatra was a part of.

Out of the 31 dynasties of Egypt, the only ones who were not pure African were the last 6, which were a part of the Persian conquest, and the the Greco-Roman periods that followed.

Please don't speak on things you only know as half facts to discount black history.

Attributing the pyramids of Egypt or even the ones in South America to aliens or other supernatural elements feels like a way for them to whitewash POC history.

Oh no. gently caress that all that aliens crap. It is absolutely some white-washing bullshit, except somehow worse in the sense that it's an end dodge around actual white-washing so smug assholes can skirt accusations of racism. "I'm not saying it was white people; that would be silly! I'm just saying it couldn't be Egyptians/Incas/Mayans/etc. so I'm going to pin it on some supernatural forces instead."

I was really referring to the whole "were they really Greek/Perian/Arab" debate which has always seemed like such a dumb attempt to define Africa by poo poo western culture cares about, and then discredit them from it because racism. Establishing credit the way you have is important, but I also think discarding the idea that Egypt is the only important empire/civilization to come out of Africa is important.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

420 Gank Mid posted:

This is really dumb because there are Egyptians today that look more like Eddie Murphy or Magic Johnson than they do Omar Sharif

The Pyramids were as ancient to Cleopatra (a descendant of the Greek General Alexander placed in charge of Egypt before his death) as she is to us today. They vastly predate any foreign influence in the area.

Yeah, isn't the first one something like 4500 years old now? You also get a rather neat refinement of the pyramid building process through the dynasties.

PantherWill
Feb 23, 2013
White people: "Egyptians weren't black."
Same white people: "The Illuminati cloned Akhenaten in a test tube to make Barack Obama."

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Apparently when it was found, many cited the now known to have been freshly abandoned Agkor Wat to be evidence of a now extinct ancient advanced white civilization in the area. The ancient Aliens thing is much the same but with a slight degree of obfuscation placed over the formerly blatant racism.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

there wolf posted:

I was really referring to the whole "were they really Greek/Perian/Arab" debate which has always seemed like such a dumb attempt to define Africa by poo poo western culture cares about, and then discredit them from it because racism. Establishing credit the way you have is important, but I also think discarding the idea that Egypt is the only important empire/civilization to come out of Africa is important.

Yea, I know, I was just following up on what you said. I was still referring more to the first quote I quoted.

Egypt is super important and is a cradle of civilization, along with Sumeria. There are also important African empires like Mali that traded and warred with Egypt, and would have surely acquired a lot of their mathematics and other scientific discoveries.

Western culture loves to point at the Greeks as the start of a lot of things, but most of their knowledge was stolen from the ancient cultures that surrounded them, especially Egypt.

Taerkar posted:

Yeah, isn't the first one something like 4500 years old now? You also get a rather neat refinement of the pyramid building process through the dynasties.

Yes, there is proof of attempted pyramids and the geometry behind them sometime in the 2nd dynasty, and the 3rd dynasty saw its first completed one.

Hell, the largest Giza pyramid was built in the 4th dynasty in the 2500 BC era and took only around 2 decades to build. It was a feat of math and engineering that has survived most of recorded human history. Of course, the aliens probably put it there.

Fluffdaddy fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 13, 2017

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fluffdaddy posted:

There are also important African empires like Mali that traded and warred with Egypt, and would have surely acquired a lot of their mathematics and other scientific discoveries.

And later crashed their economies with a massive shopping spree and generosity to the poor.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Taerkar posted:

And later crashed their economies with a massive shopping spree and generosity to the poor.

Yea, and to be fair, the Egypt they were dealing with was a shell of its former glory anyway. Mali was around the 1200 AD or so right?

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I've always felt like the colonialist impulse to paint the other as a bunch of unwashed and dumb lessers is a classic case of protection, as it took Western Europe until the black plague to realize that maybe bathing was a useful thing, rather than an invitation for the devil to possess you.

Similarly, Roman and Greek numerals, used by our paragons of science and engineering, were useless for doing non-trivial math, and had to be converted to Arabic numerals and back. The concepts of zero and irrational numbers were big loving heresies for a while!

As y'all have said, we just can't stand the idea that everyone else, but black people especially, were doing important, cool, things while we were literally living in our own filth.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's seems almost like religious fundamentalism. We don't know, therefore God/Aliens/White people did it.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Octatonic posted:

I've always felt like the colonialist impulse to paint the other as a bunch of unwashed and dumb lessers is a classic case of protection, as it took Western Europe until the black plague to realize that maybe bathing was a useful thing, rather than an invitation for the devil to possess you.

Similarly, Roman and Greek numerals, used by our paragons of science and engineering, were useless for doing non-trivial math, and had to be converted to Arabic numerals and back. The concepts of zero and irrational numbers were big loving heresies for a while!

As y'all have said, we just can't stand the idea that everyone else, but black people especially, were doing important, cool, things while we were literally living in our own filth.

And the main catalysts for Europeans were brought by the Mongols. Black plague and the knowledge of gunpowder.

Edit: I dunno if you can do it yourself, KM, but could you or FAU revert this av?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Fluffdaddy posted:

Yea, and to be fair, the Egypt they were dealing with was a shell of its former glory anyway. Mali was around the 1200 AD or so right?

Mansa Musa went on Hajj in the 1330's

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Fluffdaddy posted:

I'm not discounting poo poo about black history. History is loving history. Rulers come, rulers go, they come from different parts of whatever empire or from the areas around it as conquerers, and both they and the people they rule are a big spectrum, but the ancient Egyptian people, and most of their rulers, probably looked like the people still inhabiting the footprint of that empire. I'm not handing anything to white people, I'm not taking anything away from black people, I'm saying the Egyptian people are and were Egyptian people and how about giving them some credit and stop trying to claim them like I'm being accused of doing for some reason.

And all I really wanted to know anyway is why it's not OK to have a white person portray a black character because that becomes erasure and poo poo, but it is absolutely OK to do the reverse, or substitute one POC for any other under some blanket of non-white when that's a pretty fucky thing to do as well. Either race matters or it doesn't, you can't have it both ways and say it only matters when you say it does, but not when someone else does.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ReidRansom posted:

And all I really wanted to know anyway is why it's not OK to have a white person portray a black character because that becomes erasure and poo poo, but it is absolutely OK to do the reverse, or substitute one POC for any other under some blanket of non-white when that's a pretty fucky thing to do as well. Either race matters or it doesn't, you can't have it both ways and say it only matters when you say it does, but not when someone else does.

"Why isn't there a white history month or White Entertainment Television?"

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

420 Gank Mid posted:

And he was one of their last great Kings. Though not really Negrotown related, but Negrotown-adjacent is the Muslim Conquest and how it shaped the way Africa was treated and used by the Europeans through the Crusades and later into the European empire land grabs.

I often ponder if the Muslim occupation of the cradle is what stymied off the eventual rise of European dominance of Africa, or was it a catalyst for getting them to notice it in the first place.

And none of this would have saved the Southern African villages and communities.

Its all just hosed up.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

WampaLord posted:

"Why isn't there a white history month or White Entertainment Television?"

Try harder please.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

JFairfax posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x-1w_vEEEo

This BBC series was pretty interesting

Gonna watch this later. Are there anymore decent historical documentaries like this that can be found on youtube? Searching for them usually ends up with me being extremely frustrated at some of the bad videos people put out with tons of misinformation just to get rage clicks.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

I'm not discounting poo poo about black history. History is loving history. Rulers come, rulers go, they come from different parts of whatever empire or from the areas around it as conquerers, and both they and the people they rule are a big spectrum, but the ancient Egyptian people, and most of their rulers, probably looked like the people still inhabiting the footprint of that empire. I'm not handing anything to white people, I'm not taking anything away from black people, I'm saying the Egyptian people are and were Egyptian people and how about giving them some credit and stop trying to claim them like I'm being accused of doing for some reason.

Except you are wrong wrong wrong and more wrong.

For the majority of ancient Egypt's history, until the Persian conquest 2000 years after the Empire's founding, every last ruler was a black Egyptian. The majority of Egypt's population was black. Most of the people who became a part of the Empire came from the south were black.

So you're original claim was wrong. Period.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

You're operating according to blind axioms without seriously considering the whys behind them, and that's a pretty bad, dumb way to proceed. For instance, why is it bad for black characters to be played by white people? Answer: because there was a campaign for literal centuries born out of ignorance and deliberate malice to marginalise black art and repackage it as a white product. Minstrel shows were bad because they were a way to have black art without black artists (and spent much of their runtime making GBS threads on the black people while came up with the music in question besides). White people have not been systematically cut out of our culture in nearly the same way, so a black person playing an originally-white character does not have nearly the same oppressive weight behind it.

Is that at all difficult to understand?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

There are dark skinned Egyptians, there are light skinned Egyptians. There are Egyptians with blue eyes, and Egyptians with thick dark curly hair. Egyptians with smooth chests and Egyptians with shaggy fur. Even 'Egyptian' encompasses a range of peoples. Arabs, Bedoins, Berbers, Nubians, Copts, and Somalis can all be Egyptian and share the country's legacy. Egypt, and more specifically the Nile River has been one of the world's largest trade hubs for over 5,000 years. Egyptian sailors travelled as far as India and Iberia before the invention of paper. Do not pretend we are some monolith because the only thing you are familiar with is whatever garbage you learned in your bible study.

Fluffdaddy posted:

And he was one of their last great Kings. Though not really Negrotown related, but Negrotown-adjacent is the Muslim Conquest and how it shaped the way Africa was treated and used by the Europeans through the Crusades and later into the European empire land grabs.

I often ponder if the Muslim occupation of the cradle is what stymied off the eventual rise of European dominance of Africa, or was it a catalyst for getting them to notice it in the first place.

And none of this would have saved the Southern African villages and communities.

Its all just hosed up.
Yes but specifically Mansa Musa was the guy who famously sparked the most significant inflation ever experienced anywhere up to that time

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 13, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

420 Gank Mid posted:

That's still the best story.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

Because of historical connotations and the existence of privilege. This is no loving duh 101. You know the answer to this, and if you don't, go Google it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

ReidRansom posted:

Try harder please.

Racism is asymmetric, it affects society asymmetrically, and efforts to combat it must be asymmetric or they are fruitless. Do you really think that a black Hamilton and a white MJ are equally socially harmful?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Fluffdaddy posted:

Except you are wrong wrong wrong and more wrong.

For the majority of ancient Egypt's history, until the Persian conquest 2000 years after the Empire's founding, every last ruler was a black Egyptian. The majority of Egypt's population was black. Most of the people who became a part of the Empire came from the south were black.

So you're original claim was wrong. Period.

I hate to [citation needed], but could you do me a solid and point me to a published and peer-reviewed source for this?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

I hate to [citation needed], but could you do me a solid and point me to a published and peer-reviewed source for this?

Nope, because I am not your teacher.

Edit: poo poo,you know what, gently caress it, I got this.

Here is a list of rulers:

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/phar/hd_phar.htm

While eachy Dynasty only lasted a few decades to a century, they were dominated by families or clans of families. The majority were native Egyptians.

Occasionally, a ruling clan would come from another part of the area, like Libya, or would be super black, like the 25th dynasty:

http://www.eurweb.com/2016/03/black-pharaohs-the-kings-of-kush-egypts-25th-dynasty/

poo poo, here is an old kingdom bust of a king:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...2600_B.C.E..jpg

Here is a bust of a middle kingdom pharoh mentuhotep

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Kingdom_of_Egypt#/media/File:Mentuhotep_Seated_edit.jpg

I could go on, but it was clear the were some black rear end black folks.

Fluffdaddy fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 13, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

Could you for your own claims?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

Show me the white person in this image.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Fluffdaddy posted:

Nope, because I am not your teacher.

That's a pretty hard cop-out.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Because of historical connotations and the existence of privilege. This is no loving duh 101. You know the answer to this, and if you don't, go Google it.

And lauding people for being racially subversive and casting POC just for grins isn't going to erase that. I skipped over this post earlier that made a good point

there wolf posted:

Leslie Odem Jr. made this point in one of those actors roundtables that pop up this time of year, that we don't just need black actors, but black stories as well. Colorblind casting gets you diversity in characters, but not diversity in stories or perspective which are also important.

http://siz.io/hamiltons-leslie-odom-jr-talks-diversity-on-broadway/?src=tum

Link if anyone wants to watch it.

That is a far better idea than "hey let's redo [whatever] but get this, he's BLACK!"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

420 Gank Mid posted:

no, but you see some of them are not as dark as the others so there were some *vomits blood*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

420 Gank Mid posted:

Show me where I said Egyptians were white people.

• Locked thread