Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
It's my Birthday this month. What do you have to say to me?
This poll is closed.
Happy Birthday! 10 7.63%
Happy Birthday...and many more! 17 12.98%
Oh shut up...just kidding man. Happy Birthday! 7 5.34%
My birthday is this month too, but clearly it is your month 15 11.45%
Happy Bowsette...I mean Birthday (sorry Freudian slip there) 82 62.60%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

al-azad posted:

I wonder if Nintendo would've made the decision to re-record the dialog of Fire Emblem's sex pest VO if it wasn't the protagonist who has like 10 lines total.

Isn't the official reason they canned him violating an NDA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

al-azad posted:

I wonder if Nintendo would've made the decision to re-record the dialog of Fire Emblem's sex pest VO if it wasn't the protagonist who has like 10 lines total.

Dude took the role on a long-shot assumption that the protagonist would eventually get into Smash as a fighter, if not in Ultimate then someday. And now he's forever hosed up his chances on that front.

But it's not like the other person behind Brawl Taunts is ever likely to get in. I mean what, would they really add 2B to Smash?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Hwurmp posted:

What would make the best username:

Bowsette's Bath Water
bowsettes bathwater
BOWSETTES BATH WATER

eau de bowsette

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All lowercase, but with apostrophe

Cowcaster posted:

eau de bowsette

or this yeah

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i know i missed book chat but i love how literary fiction is as much of a compartmentalized genre as anything else these days. thanks publishers

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Looper posted:

i know i missed book chat but i love how literary fiction is as much of a compartmentalized genre as anything else these days. thanks publishers

Welcome to capitalism

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i only recently learned about the LitRPG genre and it's a good thing my brain's already thoroughly broken or that knowledge might have left an entry wound

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Oxxidation posted:

i only recently learned about the LitRPG genre and it's a good thing my brain's already thoroughly broken or that knowledge might have left an entry wound

Huh, I'd probably be really into that to be fair

Fake news!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I have a weird hypothetical for the thread but since we're getting a new one tomorrow I'm gonna save it to maximize the amount of attention I receive.

So instead, this thought: I really like first person dungeon crawlers for a few reasons, but one is that more than any other type of game they can give a sense of depth, or of distance. A lot of games want you to feel like you're exploring a 'frontier' or are far from safety, but I think this genre does it best. This may be partially due to that, along with roguelikes, it's the only genre I can think of off the top of my head where the fans expect the games to be a bit more cruel to the player than average. The event into hard encounter that's likely to send game over you in Etrian Odyssey games, for example. The only game I can think of outside of this that did it well was the first Dark Souls, when I beat the fire spider woman and arrived at the demon ruins I did feel a distinct sense of being deep in the world, and far from home. Honestly the high point of that game for me.

Anyone else feel this way, or otherwise what genres capture a certain something for you that you can't get elsewhere.

If you want to read LitRPG I'm not your dad but I don't see what you could take away that wouldn't be better served by either playing a game or reading a book. At first I thought there was almost a mystery novel draw where if you paid attention you could "solve" the game before the book characters but from the bits I've seen I didn't get the impression that was the case

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's literally just bottom-tier fantasy with video game-esque stats and leveling crowbarred in, meant to be consumed by people who have no sensation remaining to them other than the serotonin rush of video games

some putz i knew pushed Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe on me years ago, which might have been one of the progenitors to the LitRPG genre, and i couldn't even get halfway through that (though "halfway" is underselling it a little, Brave Story is a loving cinderblock of a novel)

trying to make a living on writing was a dismal enterprise even before the ALGORITHM, looking at the kindle unlimited marketplace these days just depresses me

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

some putz i knew pushed Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe on me years ago, which might have been one of the progenitors to the LitRPG genre, and i couldn't even get halfway through that (though "halfway" is underselling it a little, Brave Story is a loving cinderblock of a novel)

oh, so that's what that PSP game was based off of.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I remember reading CYOA books with RPG stat tables back in the mid-90s, I don't think it's a particularly new invention.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

exquisite tea posted:

I remember reading CYOA books with RPG stat tables back in the mid-90s, I don't think it's a particularly new invention.

Lone Wolf came out in the 80s even :shrug:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I play too many space games for any mere dungeon to feel distant. Exploring the outer planets in Kerbal Space Program is probably the loneliest and most isolated I've ever felt in a game. The landscape is completely empty and barren* all the way to the horizon, the sky is nothing but stars and a sun noticeably smaller than it is back home. The only light that doesn't come from them is the minuscule pool from the rover headlights and you can zoom out until it's a tiny dot or lost entirely. The one or two astronauts are millions of miles from any other living thing and it will be years until they get back to home and safety. The only thing that got me here was a spaceship I put together myself out of spit and baling wire and maybe I brought enough of both to complete the return trip and maybe I didn't. But if I didn't that would be OK because it's actually kinda beautiful out here.

Now, the feeling you're talking about where you can't go back, can't go forward, and also can't stay where you are, I felt strongest in certain parts of SOMA.

*please ignore that this is due to engine and developer limitations and not purely artistic choice

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

i was thinking of those too, i had one where you were some dude in a swamp who needed to choose between a good/neutral/evil wizard and had to roll dice for progression and combat and such. i ignored all the rolls, natch, but it was still a thing

LitRPG on the other hand is more like "I took my +5 Sword of Gamelon and slayed the Lesser Goblin, and the soft chime of experience gain rang in my ears as my STR and CON increased by 2."

it's not even using the gaming conceit as a mechanism for reader choice, it's just replacing actual imagery or worldbuilding entirely with the raw quantification of video games

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

man these RPGs are lit am i right guys

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Crusader Kings 2 and all expansions for $15 at Humble Bundle, seems a good deal tbh

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/crusader-kings-2-bundle

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Kerbal is a good one - I was not good at it, since I'm a moron, but with a bit of help I was able to build a rattletrap rocket that made it into orbit. Then later, one Kerbal made it to the moon (but not back. Godspeed, gentle dingus.) Orbiting Kerbin the first time felt like I had really done something, and the scope of it all was incredible. That moon landing was better space exploration that all of the time I spent in No Man's Sky combined.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Convex posted:

Crusader Kings 2 and all expansions for $15 at Humble Bundle, seems a good deal tbh

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/crusader-kings-2-bundle

I picked this up for the DLC, but already owned CK2 (and I think some of the DLC). If anyone here wants it before I throw it into the Steam Key thread when I get home tonight let me know and you can have first dibs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Activision, being the scum that they are, have patched in microtransactions in Crash Bandicoot Racing,. This comes off as a sketchy business decision. Wait until after all of the critic reviews have released so they can't be called out on this as easily. Activision has been doing this to Call of Duty for a few years now, wasn't okay to do it then, and shouldn't be doing it now.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

idk who's buying these things because the Crash roster is mostly terrible

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Bonestorm/Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge Simpson's Meme but Mario Kart / CTR

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Oxxidation posted:

it's literally just bottom-tier fantasy with video game-esque stats and leveling crowbarred in, meant to be consumed by people who have no sensation remaining to them other than the serotonin rush of video games

trying to make a living on writing was a dismal enterprise even before the ALGORITHM, looking at the kindle unlimited marketplace these days just depresses me

It doesn't even get into the fantasy world until halfway through the novel. That novel was more about depression and dealing with your parents getting divorced than anything else. :confused:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

IMO the biggest appeal of those CYOA books has always been the art which is why e.g. Fighting Fantasy always sought after cult underground artists or dudes who would be discovered by Games Workshop through their CYOA art. I probably own five copies of Firetop Mountain because Russ Nicholson's work is some grungy rear end 80s fantasy.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Oxxidation posted:

When I was a child and recently after discovering D&D and its arcade game, I wrote a few pages about how me and my friends wound up in a fantasy world and we beat up some kobolds and they dropped a specific amount of money which we then spent on weapons and that's about as far as I got. I imagine LitRPG is very much the same but by people who didn't think better about what they were doing. NaNoWriMo is almost upon us, and I hope to see many examples of people's favorite RPG being transcribed with the serial numbers filed off. The touching tale of how the former royal guard Claude joins the gruff Bart and the childhood friend Tiffany to become rebels against a villainous merchant empire.

I understand that this is just fan fiction, but it's fan fiction that could maybe possibly find its way into a bookstore one day.

May 8, 2006

When I was in the third grade I submitted a Doom/Sonic crossover fanfiction for a writing assignment that described Sonic basically going through the first level of Doom 2 and collecting ammo. I even ending it on him hitting the end of level switch.

Anecdotally, I've had many friends that when engaging with a piece of media they get frustrated when it is not an engine to deliver Lore as efficiently as possible. Building up stakes, mood pieces, side plots are often seen as lazy or stalling or wasting their time because they need the Answers to Questions and any delay is bad storytelling. I wonder if LitRPG in some sense is an extreme version of this, where if you only care about the literal facts of the plot then at some point quantifiying it past ambiguity and cutting the 'fat' is the endpoint of what such people might crave.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

When I was a child and recently after discovering D&D and its arcade game, I wrote a few pages about how me and my friends wound up in a fantasy world and we beat up some kobolds and they dropped a specific amount of money which we then spent on weapons and that's about as far as I got. I imagine LitRPG is very much the same but by people who didn't think better about what they were doing. NaNoWriMo is almost upon us, and I hope to see many examples of people's favorite RPG being transcribed with the serial numbers filed off. The touching tale of how the former royal guard Claude joins the gruff Bart and the childhood friend Tiffany to become rebels against a villainous merchant empire.

I understand that this is just fan fiction, but it's fan fiction that could maybe possibly find its way into a bookstore one day.

fanfiction that found its way onto a shelf is already half the ya section in terms of author representation

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Looper posted:

fanfiction that found its way onto a shelf is already half the ya section in terms of author representation

also a large chunk of the romance section

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I just remembered that when I was participating in Power of the Pen (creative writing competition for middle schoolers) a classmate copied down the plot to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and submitted it. It was a straight retelling, starting with Alucard approaching the castle, him talking to Death, battling various beasts and demons, I think there was a part about Alucard finding his equipment, then the fight with Shaft and Dracula. Since he was limited by length he cut some details like the inverted castle but it was definitely SotN.

His piece was considered good enough to qualify for the first round of the competition, and I felt cheated because I had created something new whereas he just copied from an already great source. So I narced on him. I don't think he got in much trouble; he probably wouldn't have made it past the first round anyway, but we became friends afterward due to a mutual interest in games and Castlevania.

I know I had a spiral-bound book of our class's submissions at one point. I haven't a clue where it would be now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I looked up Brave Story and it sounds incredibly, insanely generic

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

it's apparently supplanted the self-pub erotica scene, which means most of it is generated by middle-aged men and women cranking out 10-20k words a day while manipulating amazon's marketing and review algorithms to drive their books up to the top of every genre's list

fanfiction is downright laudable compared to that

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

I just remembered that when I was participating in Power of the Pen (creative writing competition for middle schoolers) a classmate copied down the plot to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and submitted it. It was a straight retelling, starting with Alucard approaching the castle, him talking to Death, battling various beasts and demons, I think there was a part about Alucard finding his equipment, then the fight with Shaft and Dracula. Since he was limited by length he cut some details like the inverted castle but it was definitely SotN.

His piece was considered good enough to qualify for the first round of the competition, and I felt cheated because I had created something new whereas he just copied from an already great source. So I narced on him. I don't think he got in much trouble; he probably wouldn't have made it past the first round anyway, but we became friends afterward due to a mutual interest in games and Castlevania.

I know I had a spiral-bound book of our class's submissions at one point. I haven't a clue where it would be now.

You’re a cop

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Allarion posted:

It doesn't even get into the fantasy world until halfway through the novel. That novel was more about depression and dealing with your parents getting divorced than anything else. :confused:

that was more like the first quarter, which managed to hold my interest (though the writing itself was horribly stiff, maybe there's a better translation somewhere)

then they actually hit the fantasy world and i didn't last long afterward

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
here's my hot take: fanfiction is generally written independent of commercial consideration, which makes it better than quite a bit of bound books out there

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you write a story about Jesus and Moses outside of what's in the Bible does that qualify as fanfic.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

exquisite tea posted:

If you write a story about Jesus and Moses outside of what's in the Bible does that qualify as fanfic.

Fanfics for Jesus in America are under the "supply-side" genre

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

personally the only text media i read these days is tvtropes pages on cliches inherent to carpentry documentaries

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

personally the only text media i read these days is tvtropes pages on cliches inherent to carpentry documentaries

my favorite is Old Saw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

exquisite tea posted:

Depends how good it is. Dante's Divine Comedy is literally a self-insert Bible fanfic and it's considered literary canon.