Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Was You Sheldon the show they set out to make, or did somebody have an idea for a family sitcom set in the past, and linking it to BBT was the only way it got made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It is pretty scary how often you'll get a chud channel with millions of views though, like El Grillo said. Not just weird soft incel comedy but everyone's had an experience of watching any video and suddenly having the guy (always a guy) go off about the woke agenda.
I don't feel like we have an equivalent on the left.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Khanstant posted:

Was You Sheldon the show they set out to make, or did somebody have an idea for a family sitcom set in the past, and linking it to BBT was the only way it got made.

Apparently it was Jim Parson's idea and he passed it along to the producers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This week's Inside No 9 was a far better take the trolley problem than The Good Place's. Made me wonder if it was written in response to it.

Taear posted:

It is pretty scary how often you'll get a chud channel with millions of views though, like El Grillo said. Not just weird soft incel comedy but everyone's had an experience of watching any video and suddenly having the guy (always a guy) go off about the woke agenda.
I don't feel like we have an equivalent on the left.

I wonder if there is, beyond the right perceiving there to be something similar (e.g. smuggling "woke messaging" into kids cartoons). I wonder if it's a consequence of how disenfranchised the left is, or perhaps that it's just a betrayal of their diasporic ambitions.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I thought it was like the most basic Inside No. 9 episode ever lol. Like for that show just extremely straightforward. Still solid though

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Honestly I thought it was like the most basic Inside No. 9 episode ever lol. Like for that show just extremely straightforward. Still solid though

Yeah, I thought it had exactly two ideas going for it the scene with the dual poisoned drinks, and Pemberton chained to an oven explaning why the trolley problem is dumb. The rest was a bit barebones though and probably the most stripped production they've done since maybe the George RR Martin one?

I mostly brought it up because the thread was talking about televised representations of the problem last week. But also because the show rules and there are only four episodes left.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

do i need to know anything before watching x-men 97? i remember watching the cartoon as a kid, but don't remember the prevailing story. and recently, have seen like two of the marvel movies. i know the basic stories of the main characters, i suppose.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think that makes you the target audience. Go for it!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

abelwingnut posted:

do i need to know anything before watching x-men 97? i remember watching the cartoon as a kid, but don't remember the prevailing story. and recently, have seen like two of the marvel movies. i know the basic stories of the main characters, i suppose.

There's only a couple of plot points that are kind of important to know:
Morph was thought dead but was brainwashed by Mr Sinister, they eventually broke the mind control and rejoined the team
Time travelling Sentinels tried to kill a young Charles Xavier in the late 50s but were defeated
At the end of the previous series Xavier was almost killed in an attack and had to leave Earth, presumably forever, which is why everyone's acting like he's dead

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sugar had a pretty wild season finale, especially considering how just two episodes ago they revealed the main character was a space alien.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I generally liked Sugar but I found it pretty funny that the big finale twist revolved around a character I didn’t even remember existed

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Adam Savage, Bobby Fingers update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yTDnuK0q7E

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Who is bobby fingers

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The best YouTube person

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Peer reviewed best content on the platform.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watching Abbott Elementary and the really need to establish a tone for Ava's character. You can't both have her be so ignorant that she doesn't even know that there's student who's hearing impaired but also have her care enough to fight for her getting an ASL-interpreter.
Also, lol at american teachers still insisting on students using their surnames.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Alhazred posted:

Watching Abbott Elementary and the really need to establish a tone for Ava's character. You can't both have her be so ignorant that she doesn't even know that there's student who's hearing impaired but also have her care enough to fight for her getting an ASL-interpreter.
Also, lol at american teachers still insisting on students using their surnames.

Wait, what’s this complaint about? Do schools in Europe not use surnames? Or does Abbott Elementary get especially weird about it or something?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I dunno about Sweden, but when I was a kid teachers used their first names, and so did the kids.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Rappaport posted:

I dunno about Sweden, but when I was a kid teachers used their first names, and so did the kids.

Oh generally speaking, sure, American teachers use first names when just calling out names. “Sarah, come here!” Or something like that. Does Abbott Elementary always say, “Sarah Jones” literally every time they call out a name? Or does Europe literally never use surnames for anything?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Oh generally speaking, sure, American teachers use first names when just calling out names. “Sarah, come here!” Or something like that. Does Abbott Elementary always say, “Sarah Jones” literally every time they call out a name? Or does Europe literally never use surnames for anything?

What? No, that the kids have address their teacher by their surnames, like ms. Teagues.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Well I mean they're, in the Heinlein sense, used to show that you are you. But as far as I can recall, no teacher of mine ever used my surname even when I was being unruly.

Again, this could be different in other places in Europe.

Alhazred posted:

What? No, that the kids have address their teacher by their surnames, like ms. Teagues.

Why doesn't the edit feature let you quote people? I called my teachers by their first names all through senior secondary. One of them even enjoyed having a nickname.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Alhazred posted:

Ohhhh, my mistake, I completely misread that post.

Yeah, teachers here definitely insist on that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Teachers are addressed by their last names in the UK too, at least until you get to university

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Alhazred posted:

Yeah that's normal in the US. From kindergarten to high school.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Ohhhh, my mistake, I completely misread that post.

Yeah, teachers here definitely insist on that.

I find this amusing, given that teachers are not a protected profession in the US.

Wait, what thread am I in?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

We're good at pretending teachers and other public service people are respected and have authority

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

We're good at pretending teachers and other public service people are respected and have authority

Teachers should be respected! But that goes both ways. If you call me by my surname, I'd feel weird, unless it was prefixed by "Doctor" since I am one.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

You can have respect and authority without being addressed by your surname.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

If it's really about showing respect for teachers and other public service people then shouldn't adults not address them by their first names either?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Alhazred posted:

You can have respect and authority without being addressed by your surname.

Yeah that's what we're good at pretending

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, in the US, it's not even strictly teachers. It's a cultural thing that minors don't call adults by their first names (especially your parents.)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I hope I don't come off as weird, but I call my mom and dad "mom and dad"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rappaport posted:

I hope I don't come off as weird, but I call my mom and dad "mom and dad"

By far the scariest part of The Ring was that creepy little kid calling his mom Rachel

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Where I grew up children were not to be seen or heard, and certainly we did not address our teachers by names.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I mean, in the US, it's not even strictly teachers. It's a cultural thing that minors don't call adults by their first names (especially your parents.)

At least around where I live, that's gone away. I was born in the 80s, and remember everyone calling adults "Mr./Mrs./Ms. (Surname)" My daughter and every kid I know in her generation call adults by their first names, or, just as often, "(Kid's name)'s mom/dad".

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Mr./Mrs./Ms. has pretty much disappeared from common usage here in Denmark, people who use it are either old-fashioned or very formal.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Oasx posted:

Mr./Mrs./Ms. has pretty much disappeared from common usage here in Denmark, people who use it are either old-fashioned or very formal.

Famously the usage of Mr./Mrs/Ms in Norway was so gone from Norway in the eighties that one politician was accused of being condescending because he continued to use it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have come to realize that Big Door Prize reminds me of Lodge 49, both shows have a bittersweet tone and are about people who feel unhappy and depressed.
But Lodge 49 manages to tell a really good story about that, while also being funny, but BDP can't seem to make up its mind what its message is.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My grandmother still signs the birthday cards she sends me as Mrs (my grandfathers name), who has been dead for 30 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Media has traditionally used kids referring to grown ups by their first names as shorthand for disrespect or dismissive attitude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzCeO3HzEkE

It's used a LOT to show strained relationships between kids and foster/step parents.