Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

I love how the ACC sensor takes up a quarter of the grill. Also, the black (or dark blue) car has different tail lights than the red and while ones. It seems to have a second row of white LEDs.

If you order this car the auto driving package you're an rear end in a top hat anyway. If you want to have the car drive you, go buy a 330i. That'll just make it easier to figure out the people who walked into the dealership and ask for the most expensive version of the car they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

trash vehicles, cheap for a reason

I am shocked by this development. I'm just casually looking for a kayak/bike hauler and the price of those and even some of the first gen x5's caught my eye.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think the first gen X5 is actually pretty decent, it's like a lifted E39 wagon.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
x4 is a good choice if you like to make angels cry

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think the first gen X5 is actually pretty decent, it's like a lifted E39 wagon.

A high mile e39 is a bit of a maintenance pig though, innit? The M54-based drivetrain is at least pretty solid, but the suspension/chassis probably aren't done any favors with an extra 1000+ pounds riding on it. I think X5s destroy tires, too?

I do love e39s though, and I can think of a lot worse high mile old BMWs.

VVVVVV

BraveUlysses posted:

just buy a 3 series

Also this, throw a rack on there and a 3er is perfectly capable of hauling some bikes and kayaks around

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 7, 2020

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

I am shocked by this development. I'm just casually looking for a kayak/bike hauler and the price of those and even some of the first gen x5's caught my eye.

just buy a 3 series

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

just buy a 3 series

There are actually a couple e46 wagons locally in the price range that might make me consider buying another car. My main concern is not really having the garage space necessary to work on a $4000 BMW.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Guinness posted:

A high mile e39 is a bit of a maintenance pig though, innit? The M54-based drivetrain is at least pretty solid, but the suspension/chassis probably aren't done any favors with an extra 1000+ pounds riding on it. I think X5s destroy tires, too?

I do love e39s though, and I can think of a lot worse high mile old BMWs.

VVVVVV

Also this, throw a rack on there and a 3er is perfectly capable of hauling some bikes and kayaks around

You'll probably need to replace a bunch of the suspension if it's not done already but you'd likely need that on a 3er at a similar price :shrug:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Depending on year, the X3 and X5s came with either the M54 or the N52. I don't know much about the older option, but the N52 isn't a bad engine. And yeah, a lot of the stuff that would need attention is the same stuff on a sedan.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Bargain BMW seems like a contradiction

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've had a couple of the DCT overheat warnings in the last 3 weeks in my 2011 135i. Has anyone experienced this before? I assume I should get it checked out?

The only other time I've had it was last year (had the car almost 3 years). Looks like the DCT leaking fluid is a common thing which can lead to it overheating in stop-start traffic.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Never got warnings on mine but they did say there was a very small leak

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's time for me to sell my style 193 rims and tires...I need 17" to deal with Boston potholes. Any of you have favored 17"s on e9x?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It's time for me to sell my style 193 rims and tires...I need 17" to deal with Boston potholes. Any of you have favored 17"s on e9x?

I liked the apex wheels, arc-8 I think? Lighter than stock and didn't break the bank.

I still have those oems with all seasons I need to sell and free up space

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the goonsensus on a 2017 530i

Mainly concerned about reliability

Is the towing capacity for the 530i really 2000kg? 4000+ lbs? I have a double axle trailer I need to tow a couple times a year. Looks the the X5 is closer to 7000

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 9, 2020

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Red_Fred posted:

I've had a couple of the DCT overheat warnings in the last 3 weeks in my 2011 135i. Has anyone experienced this before? I assume I should get it checked out?

The only other time I've had it was last year (had the car almost 3 years). Looks like the DCT leaking fluid is a common thing which can lead to it overheating in stop-start traffic.

I have never had overheating, but you are correct about leaks. There is a leak around the pan of the DCT unit which is usually the culprit; it is a plastic pan with a gasket that isn't up to the task. There is also a gasket on the side of the unit; the mechatronics unit...as well as a lovely leak on the mechatronics plug which requires dropping exhaust/driveshaft to reach.

I found these funny posts from the M3 forums... first showing the fluid when being changed @ 103 miles and the second is the mechatronics location.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19316094&postcount=13
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19326597&postcount=22

This video shows a leaking DCT and how they diagnosed where it was:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KTAxRds1q0&t=311s

I am about to do a fluid flush, filter and pan/gasket replacement on my DCT. 104k miles and I get some nice clunk/chunkiness when slowing down and the trans shifting into 2nd gear. "Lifetime" fluid. :D

I went with: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/dct-transmission-service-kit/83220440214kt2/

jink fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 10, 2020

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

For BMW “lifetime” can be interpreted as meaning the lifetime of the first lease, 3 years, 36k miles.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

kronix posted:

If you order this car the auto driving package you're an rear end in a top hat anyway. If you want to have the car drive you, go buy a 330i. That'll just make it easier to figure out the people who walked into the dealership and ask for the most expensive version of the car they wanted.

Or you take the car on long highway trips. I will never own a GT car without ACC again.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Hadlock posted:

What is the goonsensus on a 2017 530i

Mainly concerned about reliability

Is the towing capacity for the 530i really 2000kg? 4000+ lbs? I have a double axle trailer I need to tow a couple times a year. Looks the the X5 is closer to 7000

It’s got the 2.0 B48 engine and the B38/48/58 engines have a really good track record for reliability, so you’re good there. Any B engine and the ZF8 transmission is a rock solid combo.

Something else I’ve noticed as my car has the same engine in a detuned state is that it only consumes about 250ml of oil every 18,000 miles or so. Compare that to my 2015 1 Series that had the N13 engine which consumed about 3 litres over the same mileage, or my 2007 MINI Cooper S (N14 engine) that guzzled 1 litre of oil every 1000 miles, which was apparently still within acceptable parameters.

So all that stuff from about 2005 to 2015 about modern engines just consuming loads more oil seems to be bollocks and just down to lovely design. Presumably the same lovely design that had timing chains exploding left right and centre.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I don't know if anyone saw this but car designer Frank Stephenson reviewed the new 4er.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSj1Nj2rTc8

6:30 is the good part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSj1Nj2rTc8&t=390s

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Ok, so hear me out... what if we took an Infiniti G35 and then hosed it up horrifically with this homemade front clip my kid made in MS Paint

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

Ok, so hear me out... what if we took an Infiniti G35 and then hosed it up horrifically with this homemade front clip my kid made in MS Paint

The grille is bad, but the thing I can’t unsee is that dimple for the roundel between the tops of the kidneys. That surface is the one that has me scratching my head.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I’m surprised the design critics aren’t all pointing back at the Audi horsecollar with its exact same license plate situation.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I’m the weird chrome tears dripping down into the creepy grinning grill.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Data Graham posted:

I’m surprised the design critics aren’t all pointing back at the Audi horsecollar with its exact same license plate situation.
It might be because Audi slowly introduced their large grill. First by joining the top and bottom grills into the "shield" grill and then slowly enlarging it. People got used to the large grill. I also think that because it's so wide, that helps with the front license plate situation; especially in Europe where license plates are narrow but wide.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Big Taint posted:

I’m the weird chrome tears dripping down into the creepy grinning grill.

Oh man I haven't noticed this until now. It's getting worse the closer I look.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

The only mockups I've seen of this show a European license plate. Are there any that show it with a US plate? Ours are narrower but taller and I think will look a hell of a lot worse than the Euro version that at least manages to fit in the space somewhat reasonably.

e: answered my own question and yeah, it looks even more poo poo

dk2m
May 6, 2009

glyph posted:

The grille is bad, but the thing I can’t unsee is that dimple for the roundel between the tops of the kidneys. That surface is the one that has me scratching my head.

I didn't even notice this...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The effect of that dimple is to make the two halves of the grille into like jet engine nacelles

Which is really kind of gross

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wonder if it is used to create a vortex and reduce wind noise

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

Is this real. Wtf

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Lol did BMW lose a bet or something?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the sad thing is that the car looks pretty good aside from the horrific frontend

eventually the german makes will rediscover the value of clean aesthetics a la modern volvo/tesla. but it is not this day

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm just devastated the next 3 series is getting that grille too. The missus wants an M3 next year :negative:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm just devastated the next 3 series is getting that grille too. The missus wants an M3 next year :negative:

Stop buying BMWs. Have some self-respect and buy a Mercedes, Porsche, or Toyota, depending on your priorities.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Residency Evil posted:

Stop buying BMWs. Have some self-respect and buy a Mercedes, Porsche, or Toyota, depending on your priorities.

Porsches are verboten in the GGGC household but god drat does she need a new set of wheels, yesterday

Just getting coupe-mogged like a dunce out there

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Have you done the trigonometry to determine if an M3 can even go down that driveway?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
those dumb snouts will be gone in 3 years, just wait

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
From what I read, it's only the M cars that are getting the ridiculous grilles for the 3 and 4 series, the pleb models are supposed to be more normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Car Magazine is reporting that the next gen M5 will be available as a 750 HP hybrid and a 1000 HP model EV model using BMWs EV platform.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/bmw/m5/

quote:

Labelled G60, the next 5-series bows in the third quarter of 2023. One year later, the seventh-generation M5 will start chasing fast Audis and Mercs with these two variants. The plug-in hybrid will use the same powertrain as the upcoming X8 M, with a V8 petrol engine and e-motors totalling around 750bhp and 737lb ft of torque sent to all four wheels.

The zero-emission M5, meanwhile, is a member of the CLAR WE family. Power will be provided by Gen V pouch-type batteries. Although BMW knows that it would have been wiser to switch to larger Tesla-style round cells for safety, stability and performance reasons, it is now too late for such a radical change. The most potent conventional energy cell in question is rated at 135kWh; it can be hooked up to a 400V charger good for up to 350kW. In a second step, BMW will upgrade to the 800V standard pioneered by Porsche with its Taycan.