Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

joylessdivision posted:

Don't start with the sequels they are all degrees of terrible. Watch the first 2 then just pretend the franchise ended.

Finally watched "Mystics in Bali" last night and holy poo poo what a bonkers movie. The special effects are hilarious, the dubbing is bad but it was still really entertaining. It's not scary because the bad acting kills that but if you haven't seen it and enjoy weird/bad horror movies it's totally worth a watch.

Make sure you watch Queen of Black Magic, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Oh yeah, should I watch Mama? I was burnt out on Del Toro at the time of its release and I recall it being advertised as basically His Movie. Is it streaming anywhere?

SEX HAVER 40000 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 23, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love Mama but most people seem not to think much of it.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Oh yeah, should I watch Mama? I was burnt out on Del Toro at the time of its release and I recall it being advertised as basically His Movie. Is it streaming anywhere?

Its worth a watch. Find it if you can and check it out.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Mama is good. Great double feature with either The Babadook or Splice. (Pref' the latter.)

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I wonder if this was the plan for The Woods all along, I mean even from script stage - or if someone read it and thought "this will make x10 the money if it says Blair Witch on it".

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Mama is excellent but I didn't care for the CGI, especially during the final act.

It's ironic that Crimson Peak, which was directed by GDT himself, brought forth the worst CGI since Constantine.

Constantine being another movie that was almost ruined because of its bad digital effects.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

K. Waste posted:

Mama is good. Great double feature with either The Babadook or Splice. (Pref' the latter.)

Adrien Brody is a great actor.

Have you seen The Jacket?

It's one of my favorites with Brody as lead.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I love it too. It's honestly surprisingly sweet and in the end, despite being completely different, managed to more effectively have the message that most people assumed the movie Boxtrolls was gonna have but ended up completely loving up.

Unrelated: Lights Out was dope and very silly. It really used its concept thoroughly and pulled it off well through really tight editing

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I will definitely see Lights Out, but it will have to wait. My favorite documentary of all time, The Killing Of America, is playing on the big screen here.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I put off watching Mama for a long time because I heard horrible things about it, but I loved it once I did finally watch it so ya know, don't invest too much in what other people think of things. If it piques any kind of interest in you then go and find out for yourself whether it's "good" or "bad."

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm about ten pages too late, but I spent all morning catching up on this thread and just want to echo how dope Beyond the Black Rainbow is.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Lights Out is pretty fun. There is some cringeworthy acting from the kid, a scene or two of exposition that will make you roll your eyes, but the scares are pretty good and monster is neat.

Basically if you enjoyed the short and wanted to see more of it then see the movie. It's solid.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

I love Mama, but tell people it's more of a dark/sad fairy tale than a horror movie and that seems to get them to like it more.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's not perfect and really none of the acting is great but it's hard to hate a movie where a guy runs under an archway and gets clothes lined by the monster in the shadow it casts

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

axleblaze posted:

Yeah it's not perfect and really none of the acting is great but it's hard to hate a movie where a guy runs under an archway and gets clothes lined by the monster in the shadow it casts

That part was hilarious. My favorite moment was when the mom is standing in the dark and you see the fabric of her nightgown tugged by Diana.

Another part that stuck out was when the mom shuts the lights out and tries to force the kid to meet Diana. That was scary because it goes against every sensibility we have with regard to our mothers being the ones that would do anything to protect us.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

axleblaze posted:

I though Jessica Chastain and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau did a great job in their respective roles.

Chastain especially looked nothing like her usual self and was very convincing as a punk rocker unable to side with her maternal instincts.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

InsidiousMuppet posted:

I love Mama, but tell people it's more of a dark/sad fairy tale than a horror movie and that seems to get them to like it more.

Like all of GDT's movies even though he only acted as Executive Producer on this one.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hedenius posted:

So Adam Wingards new film The Woods isn't actually called that. The real title is Blair Witch. Yes, it's a sequel. I did NOT see that coming.

Just watched the trailer, I'm on board. The original scared the poo poo out of me and forever made me a sucker for found footage horror movies, this new one looks promising.

Speaking of which, I just re-watched The Bay and I still dig it. The very end is a little weak, but on the whole I thought it was pretty clever.

I also got a copy of The Pyramid for like $1, and didn't quite like it as much as I was expecting to. I like ancient Egyptian mythology, I like found footage, so I figured this would be a home run. When it was actually being found footage, I was totally onboard. The problem was when it would abandon the found footage techniques for no reason, it felt lazy and broke the "illusion".

Are there any (semi)worthwhile found footage movies up for streaming on Amazon or Netflix (or anywhere else) right now?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Xenomrph posted:

I also got a copy of The Pyramid for like $1, and didn't quite like it as much as I was expecting to. I like ancient Egyptian mythology, I like found footage, so I figured this would be a home run. When it was actually being found footage, I was totally onboard. The problem was when it would abandon the found footage techniques for no reason, it felt lazy and broke the "illusion".
Blame reshoots for that. Test audiences didn't like it being totally found footage so they made a slapped together hybrid movie out of it.

BisonDollah posted:

I wonder if this was the plan for The Woods all along, I mean even from script stage - or if someone read it and thought "this will make x10 the money if it says Blair Witch on it".
This happens a LOT more in Hollywood than most people realize. For example, all of the Die Hard movies except for the last one weren't originally Die Hard movies. Die Hard was originally Nothing Lasts Forever, a book sequel adaptation, and was first pitched to Frank Sinatra because he'd starred in the previous book's adaptation. He was too old by the time it was optioned so they invented John McClane. Die Hard 2 was a script called 58 Minutes, also based on a book, but they threw McClane in there too. DH3 was Simon Says, a script pitched to Brandon Lee and later considered for a Lethal Weapon sequel, but they decided to have Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson instead. DH4 was the horribly titled "WW3.com" and somehow they shoehorned in a John McClane story. All 4 were reworked scripts before the 5th one was finally written specifically for Willis, which is why they all feel so different; any action hero could be plugged in his place.

At least one of the Saw sequels started this way too. Saw 2 did, I'm not sure about the rest.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That's also what happened with a lot of the Hellraiser sequels as well from my understanding

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Are there any deliberate sequels that got last-minute reimagined into original properties?

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

Xenomrph posted:

My favorite part is when one of them is like "THOSE LOOKED LIKE SPHYNX CATS!" which are actually not from Egypt.

They are from Canada.

Circa 1970.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

BisonDollah posted:

There's an article about it, this was the plan all along.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Are there any deliberate sequels that got last-minute reimagined into original properties?

Prometheus?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Die Hard.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016
Anyone see Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy released in 2010?

Does the documentary cover the original casting of English actor David Warner as Freddy Krueger?

I found a couple test makeup shots on the web but nothing more in-depth.

The original is in my top 5 favorite horror movies, but had Wes Craven casted a more versatile and talented actor such as David Warner in the pivotal role, NOES could have succeeded as a proper franchise.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

ObamaPhone posted:

The original is in my top 5 favorite horror movies, but had Wes Craven casted a more versatile and talented actor such as David Warner in the pivotal role, NOES could have succeeded as a proper franchise.

lmao

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

ObamaPhone posted:

I just threw up

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

for real.

I'll be sure to let New Line - y'know, "The House That Freddy Built" - that if they had cast a real (British) actor from one of your Dr. Who fanfics, they would have made some serious coin.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Ah yes unsuccessful NOES franchise with only eight movies made and about half a billion dollars in gross.

Seriously though, what? Also I love David Warner as much as the next guy but Robert Englund rules.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

for real.

I'll be sure to let New Line - y'know, "The House That Freddy Built" - that if they had cast a real (British) actor from one of your Dr. Who fanfics, they would have made some serious coin.

Hey man, just because that guy is dumb is no reason to bad mouth David Warner :mad:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Robert Englund is a classically trained actor and trained at a school ran by The Royal Academy of Arts

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

axleblaze posted:

Ah yes unsuccessful NOES franchise with only eight movies made and about half a billion dollars in gross.

Seriously though, what? Also I love David Warner as much as the next guy but Robert Englund rules.

Let's be honest here.

NOES had only one great movie and that's the first one.

Robert Englund's performance got cornier with each sequel, and that's what I blame for destroying the franchise.

Most people prefer #3: Dream Warriors as the second best movie, I prefer #2: Freddy's Revenge.

New Nightmare is probably the most overrated sequel, but that's also due to the fact that the alternative makeup ruined it for me.

poo poo, I would rate Freddy VS Jason as the 3rd best in the Freddy Krueger lineup.

I believe a more serious actor could have pulled off at least a solid trilogy before slipping into obscurity or rebooting the IP.

Robert Englund's acting provided both the best and worst elements of NOES.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

sticklefifer posted:

Blame reshoots for that. Test audiences didn't like it being totally found footage so they made a slapped together hybrid movie out of it.
I, uh.... wow. Test audiences don't understand how "found footage" works I guess?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

ObamaPhone posted:

Let's be honest here.

This is the problem, right here. That there's some sort of implication that everyone must be deluding themselves about liking aNOES sequels. That we all know deep down that objectively they are not good.

You have not cornered the market on "correct opinions" about things. Liking something doesn't mean everyone else should. Your metrics for what makes something good is not universal.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

I really, really want to know what the top 3 are. I assume Lifeforce is up there, Poltergeist definitely. Possibly Chainsaw 2. The Toolbox Murders remake?

Poltergeist, Lifeforce, and maybe Chainsaw 2. But for some reason I keep coming back again and again to Eaten Alive.

Eaten Alive feels like a greasy, drug-fueled, meandering stage play and I love it. There should be a musical.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

That there's some sort of implication that everyone must be deluding themselves about liking aNOES sequels. That we all know deep down that objectively they are not good.

It's funny because NoES' track record is actually fairly solid when compared to a lot of other horror franchises.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Awhile back you mentioned looking into South American horror. I recommend a few Coffin Joe flicks because they're a trip. For better or worse, the guy is certainly an auteur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's funny because NoES' track record is actually fairly solid when compared to a lot of other horror franchises.

And they're extremely fun and imaginative films.