Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The cat and scissors is what made me turn off Nathan Barley when it was first aired, and I've never come back. There was no call to do that to a fictional cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's a pretty bleak bit yeah would have been nice if it was something else that led to that whole thing.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I always enjoy thinking back about how the critics at the time considered it out of date, but that true wave of hipsterdom hadn’t really spread to the rest of the country so it felt before it’s time.

Yea it was pretty much nonsense to me at the time
And I said the same on the forums which makes me feel weird

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
All the characters in Nathan Barley were cruel and unware of it, apart from Pingu.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

happyhippy posted:

All the characters in Nathan Barley were cruel and unware of it, apart from Pingu.

The actor of whom went on to supporting cast in James Bond?!. The trajectory of people from shows like that continues to astound.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

Benedict Cumberbatch had a bit part as a film producer's assistant.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Skins produced equal numbers of huge household names and people who immediately stopped acting, despite being decent.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Red Oktober posted:

The actor of whom went on to supporting cast in James Bond?!. The trajectory of people from shows like that continues to astound.

He's Paddington loving Bear.

Always thought that Nathan Barley went on to be either the straight man in the older Dirk Gently, or Dirk in the new one, apparently not, surprising

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Channel 4 is having one if its funny spells, seems. Scared of the Dark and Naked Education are admirably experimental but nonetheless terrible television

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

crispix posted:

Channel 4 is having one if its funny spells, seems. Scared of the Dark and Naked Education are admirably experimental but nonetheless terrible television

The publicy owned but funded by advertising dichotomy that c4 has is wonderful in the way you can sort of see a public interest.. and then its sort of twisted. It's amazing and I'm glad it exists.

Even if I don't ever get around to watching any of it anymore.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I'm a Celebrity South Africa starts tonight. Starting celebs: Amir Khan, Jordan Banjo, Helen Flanagan, Carol Vorderman, Fatima Whitbread, Paul loving Burrell, Phil Tuffnell, Janice Dickinson, Shaun Ryder.

Series 8 of Inside Number 9 stars on Thursday.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Apparently they are about to film the audience segments for a Junior Taskmaster where the contestants are going to be aged 9-11.

I can't see it working as most of the entertainment is the contestants getting ripped on by the Taskmaster.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It could lead to some amazing child brain solutions, but they need to be careful that it's laughing with them rather than at them. It could easily turn into "look at these idiots" kids-ploitation television

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

goatface posted:

It could lead to some amazing child brain solutions, but they need to be careful that it's laughing with them rather than at them. It could easily turn into "look at these idiots" kids-ploitation television

I think they should take the lead from the producers team of Junior Bake Off; who for the past few years have really struck an admirable note with how they handle the 8-12 year olds on the show. The judges are never anything other than encouraging and kind, even when presented with a very scruffy cake that has fallen on the floor, repeatedly. The children are treated with respect even in their most baffling kid-logic moments, and the only person who is consistently made to play the fool is the presenter, Harry Hill.

It's a lovely show. It's often very funny, because giving an 8 year old access to unlimited food colouring and a stand mixer is a literal recipe for disaster, but the humour is never patronising, nor cruel.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
That's not in keeping with Taskmaster and so what is the loving point, honestly?

No problems at all with kids formats but everything that makes the show work doesn't work if you get rid of it to accommodate working with kids, I'm sorry. This is so silly.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
This maybe could work with older teens, but 9-11 just spells disaster.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
It won't be real children, it'll be precocious stage school brats with connected parents. Bully 'em until they weep, I say.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

crispix posted:

I find it very confusing that somebody out there is determined for Danny Dyer to be an A-List television host, despite the fact that he looks and sounds like complete poo poo.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I presume he never turns down work and doesn't price himself too high.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Adrianics posted:

I find it very confusing that somebody out there is determined for Danny Dyer to be an A-List television host, despite the fact that he looks and sounds like complete poo poo.

People love him. He's gone from a joke to national treasure in the last decade or so (I think it's because of Eastenders?) and he's far more interesting and charismatic to watch than most presenters these days.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
That's my point; I don't find him "interesting and charismatic" at all, I don't think time has been at all kind to him. He looks like complete poo poo on camera, especially under studio lights, and his voice is awful.

I respect that he's leaned into his persona and parlayed his status into a new career, I just don't get the appeal.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Fair enough, everyone has presenters or actors that they don't see what others do in them and often for valid reasons. I think he's good fun presenting gameshows or whatever and better than the usual bland man in a suit. It's not something I feel strongly about either way, but I get why people like him. I always found him funny in a ridiculous way (remember that dvd commentary?) and then found him endearing on Who Do You Think You Are?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I hated Dyer when he was playing at being a gangster or football hooligan in nearly every early 2000s British movie, but then he voiced Kent Paul in GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas and I couldn't really hate him after that.

His WDYTYA episode was brilliant, though I can take or leave Eastenders

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Plus he was perfect as Moff in Human Traffic.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

Adrianics posted:

I respect that he's leaned into his persona and parlayed his status into a new career, I just don't get the appeal.

Clearly you've never seen The Wall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMRAwlxiFS4

Give us loads a reddies, ya mug!

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
He’s pretty lefty and right-on as well. loving hates those conservative slaaaags

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Jakabite posted:

He’s pretty lefty and right-on as well. loving hates those conservative slaaaags

I dunno, he was writing about glassing women in lads mags 20 years ago.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I don't think it's a wild conspiracy theory that he licensed his name and some lad's mag staffer was penning that stuff.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah I think I can forgive him for some words that appeared next to his name in a lads mag 20 years ago given what he’s been saying the last five or so

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
One of the most interesting things about him was that he was friends with Harold Pinter and considered the playwright a mentor. :unsmith:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

reality_groove posted:

Series 8 of Inside Number 9 stars on Thursday.

That's good news, mind i find it a bit funny that Shearesmith and Pemberton have spent so long now doing a show in which the quality of the episodes correlates strongly with OW MANY KILLINTH?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I just hope it's good. The first since Covid was terrible and while the last one was an improvement, it wasn't close to the earlier ones.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

New season of Little Britain looking wild

https://twitter.com/Doug_Tilley/status/1650517041797910530

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
:stare:

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Fairly solid Inside no 9 last night. It's always impressive the way they are able to establish unique characters and get a sense of their backstory in such a small amount of time. I actually fell for the seance being real, thought that was quite a clever twist. Bit unsatisfying to not really conclude anything though.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Irisi posted:

I think they should take the lead from the producers team of Junior Bake Off; who for the past few years have really struck an admirable note with how they handle the 8-12 year olds on the show. The judges are never anything other than encouraging and kind, even when presented with a very scruffy cake that has fallen on the floor, repeatedly. The children are treated with respect even in their most baffling kid-logic moments, and the only person who is consistently made to play the fool is the presenter, Harry Hill.

It's a lovely show. It's often very funny, because giving an 8 year old access to unlimited food colouring and a stand mixer is a literal recipe for disaster, but the humour is never patronising, nor cruel.

Haven't seen Junior Bake Off, wonder if its the same as Junior Masterchef where they are mostly kid actors.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

The best part of this story is the notebook where he was brainstorming "British names".

:hmmyes: Mr Warwick Castle

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Trying to pick myself a new British name ..

lovely Rivers
Black Mould-House
Waite List-Long
Johns Getty-Poorer
Johnny Drowned-Foreigner

It's hard.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Jimmy Yewtree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU