Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s means the game is very shallow and repetitive... like Borderlands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Oh that's dumb.

It's a game all about combos.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I mean you're definitely 100% wrong about that, but its okay to not like the game, you just don't have to invent a reason to call it bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Like the game tells you the combos you can do in the right hand corner of the screen.

Though if you are just button mashing that might explain why you don't like it, as not engaging the combat system of a game based around said system is gonna suck.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh that's dumb.

It's a game all about combos.

I know that. How do the combos make fights more interesting?

homeless snail posted:

I mean you're definitely 100% wrong about that, but its okay to not like the game, you just don't have to invent a reason to call it bad.

Like I legitimately want to like the game and have put ten hours into it, if I have been doing it completely wrong and there's a way to play it to make it more fun I am all for it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I know that. How do the combos make fights more interesting?

Like I legitimately want to like the game and have put ten hours into it, if I have been doing it completely wrong and there's a way to play it to make it more fun I am all for it

I don't think you do honestly or you wouldn't call it something you admit it isn't.

Barring that I am not sure what you want.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't think you do honestly or you wouldn't call it something you admit it isn't.

Now this, this is a meaningless sentence

Love it when an avatar announces exactly what you're going to get

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Now this, this is a meaningless sentence

Love it when an avatar announces exactly what you're going to get

What you said it didn't have any real gameplay, I said yeah it does which you agreed with but said you didn't find it interesting. So how is it meaningless?

Like keep up with your own argument dude.

If you just don't like the combat that's one thing a lot don't, but don't try and justify it with stuff that just isn't true.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If there is a thing you do and it doesn't create meaningful or interesting choices, or a good experience, then I can say the gameplay is thin. I feel confident in the coherence of my statements and random insults aren't really going to convince me otherwise

Like, how does the fact that you can string your attacks into combos change anything about it still just being about dumping damage into a big thing until it dies

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

haveblue posted:

Half the time the hints remove all the mystery from the puzzle, half the time they're too obtuse to help anyway.

It lusts for destruction...

But a fool it is not...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't really like it either at this point. It's good for what it is. I think I was mostly enchanted with the art style but I'm having trouble scraping up motivation to play it. Not that it was a surprise. This is like the 3rd monster hunter game I've bailed on lol. Figured there was a good chance this would happen.I'm always like "this is gonna be the one that hooks me". I should probably just stop, but they always look so good, and then I just get super bored with it.

Seems like a game that's great for monster hunter fans because it actually looks good and has some QOL poo poo, but it's not going to magically make someone like doing the same poo poo over and over. Had fun with it for like 12 hours though, and then not-fun for another 5 or so.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 8, 2018

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

I mean, DmC has combo based gameplay, and is shallow, so agreeing with "has combo based gameplay" doesn't automatically make one agree with "is mechanically deep"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If there is a thing you do and it doesn't create meaningful or interesting choices, or a good experience, then I can say the gameplay is thin. I feel confident in the coherence of my statements and random insults aren't really going to convince me otherwise

Like, how does the fact that you can string your attacks into combos change anything about it still just being about dumping damage into a big thing until it dies

That's most games actually.

Like 90%

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I don't really like it either at this point. It's good for what it is. I think I was mostly enchanted with the art style but I'm having trouble scraping up motivation to play it. Not that it was a surprise. This is like the 3rd monster hunter game I've bailed on lol. Figured there was a good chance this would happen.I'm always like "this is gonna be the one that hooks me". I should probably just stop, but they always look so good and then I just get super bored with it.

Seems like a game that's great for monster hunter fans because it actually looks good and has some QOL poo poo, but it's not going to magically make someone like doing the same poo poo over and over.

Monster Hunter is also going to be about the grind. It's basically an MMO you can solo.

They aren't going to change that so I don't know what you were expecting.

Though it has got a lot of new players as QOL is exactly what MH needed.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

That's most games actually.

Like 90%

Oh poo poo, I guess you're right, I never though of that before. Have a nice evening

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh poo poo, I guess you're right, I never though of that before. Have a nice evening

Yeah that's why reductive reasoning is dumb, hope you learned a valuable lesson today.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Its a mastery game, that's what it is, learning how to properly utilize your moveset and use its safe and unsafe properties to your advantage is the entire game. Its practically a coop fighting game in that way. Saying "it's just about mashing buttons to deal damage to a damage sponge" to me speaks of a powerful misunderstanding of the mechanics of the game cause uh no part of that statement is true. Again its fine to not like a game, but it isn't okay to blame a game for your own inability to engage with its mechanics.

And then getting mad when someone calls you out on your faux-sagacity game designer bullshit verbage is insanely lmao

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah that's why reductive reasoning is dumb, hope you learned a valuable lesson today.

I was being sarcastic, hth idiot

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Monster Hunter is also going to be about the grind. It's basically an MMO you can solo.

They aren't going to change that so I don't know what you were expecting.

I knew exactly what to expect but I thought it looked cool and thought I'd give it a whirl. I'm not even dissing the game it's just not my jam.

Are you like, physically incapable of not attaching some corny insult to every one of your posts? You also need to learn to read better.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Like Dark Souls is literally all about hitting a thing till it dies and there aren't that many ways to do it and is much, much shallower than MH.

I like DS a lot and probably more than MH but it's still true.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 8, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I knew exactly what to expect but I thought it looked cool and thought I'd give it a whirl. I'm not even dissing the game it's just not my jam.

Are you like, physically incapable of not attaching some corny insult to every one of your posts? You also need to learn to read better.

I didn't insult you in that post? So maybe take your own advice.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Its a mastery game, that's what it is, learning how to properly utilize your moveset and use its safe and unsafe properties to your advantage is the entire game. Its practically a coop fighting game in that way. Saying "it's just about mashing buttons to deal damage to a damage sponge" to me speaks of a powerful misunderstanding of the mechanics of the game cause uh no part of that statement is true. Again its fine to not like a game, but it isn't okay to blame a game for your own inability to engage with its mechanics.

And then getting mad when someone calls you out on your faux-sagacity game designer bullshit verbage is insanely lmao

Are there videos of good hunts that show this off, because at least from how I've been playing it's not like I'm being particularly pushed to learn or die (like with Souls bosses) but I just wail on the enemy (even with combos), dodge or guard, and keep doing this over and over. The fun of fighting games is in mindgames and precise timing, and neither of those things are really apparent to me from what I've seen so far. And how do the multiple ranged classes fit into this framework

Edit: Like, I did the first Zorah Magdaros battle (I assume there's more than one) and that was insanely padded, like it takes nearly half an hour and most of it is loading and firing turrets, and then dumping damage into big rocks that don't do anything except spew lava

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 8, 2018

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
MHW was starting to drag for me, but then out of the blue I actually started to 'get' the longblade. It took like 12 hours for me to start consistently hit with the full R2 combo and R2+Triangle finisher, without getting knocked on my rear end. After that I started enjoying the fights a lot more. Now I just need to get better at the dodge counter. I've successfully pulled it off maybe three times.

Using the long blade is a long, arduous uphill battle towards looking really cool while hunting. But when you hit that jumping strike, it feels gooooood.

Anyway, I wouldn't play the game for five hours at a time, but it's a perfect way to kill an hour or two before going to bed. Two-three hunts and done.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

I didn't insult you in that post? So maybe take your own advice.

Fair enough. It's just like the couple of times I've said I don't like X about it, you've chalked it up to "what were you expecting" when I think I went in with a reasonable expectation of what it was gonna be. Maybe I'm taking it wrong. Is it that weird someone would give a series they aren't crazy about another shot, because the new entry looks cool?

Like, I said from the beginning that I knew there was a good chance it wasn't gonna be my thing. I think it's a pretty rad game in a lot of ways it just didn't hook me. MH is a weird one because I like it so much on paper but I just get bored after a while with it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Fair enough. It's just like the couple of times I've said I don't like X about it, you've chalked it up to "what were you expecting" when I think I went in with a reasonable expectation of what it was gonna be. Maybe I'm taking it wrong. Is it that weird someone would give a series they aren't crazy about another shot, because the new entry looks cool?

Like, I said from the beginning that I knew there was a good chance it wasn't gonna be my thing. I think it's a pretty rad game in a lot of ways it just didn't hook me. MH is a weird one because I like it so much on paper but I just get bored after a while with it.

I mean I am a dick sometimes so I understand reading that way I was just genuinely confused as the grindy part of the game was the part you had troubling dealing with. Which is perfectly fine I can't blame someone for not wanting to deal with that but this is what the series is known for.

Just seemed like this is the time were you can just go that mechanic doesn't appeal to me so pass. Like I don't think you are calling it bad or something like that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean I am a dick sometimes so I understand reading that way I was just genuinely confused as the grindy part of the game was the part you had troubling dealing with. Which is perfectly fine I can't blame someone for not wanting to deal with that but this is what the series is known for.

Just seemed like this is the time were you can just go that mechanic doesn't appeal to me so pass. Like I don't think you are calling it bad or something like that.

I was definitely ready to call it quits after Tri, but regardless of how I felt about MH, World looked so good from what I watched I had to try it.

FWIW I don't even regret buying it. I had fun for a while and I think for what it is, its a good game. Just not the type of thing I'm in for the long haul on. other grindy games like Destiny are easier for me to avoid because they look like generic garbage.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Renoistic posted:

Anyway, I wouldn't play the game for five hours at a time, but it's a perfect way to kill an hour or two before going to bed. Two-three hunts and done.

Maybe this is it, I definitely marathoned it today to get to the Horizon event and that probably burned me out a little. As long as I have friends who still want to play it, I'll probably still chug along but at a less brisk pace

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Are there videos of good hunts that show this off, because at least from how I've been playing it's not like I'm being particularly pushed to learn or die (like with Souls bosses) but I just wail on the enemy (even with combos), dodge or guard, and keep doing this over and over. The fun of fighting games is in mindgames and precise timing, and neither of those things are really apparent to me from what I've seen so far. And how do the multiple ranged classes fit into this framework

Edit: Like, I did the first Zorah Magdaros battle (I assume there's more than one) and that was insanely padded, like it takes nearly half an hour and most of it is loading and firing turrets, and then dumping damage into big rocks that don't do anything except spew lava
Again I'm talking mechanically here, "mindgames" are not a mechanical concept, they're something that come about as a result of players thinking about the interactions between individual mechanics, and many of the ones that make that possible are represented in monhun. Things like option selects and hit confirms and super armor and iframes, and yeah you're right in that you're not exactly going to get into mindgames with an AI but understanding their behavior and then looking into your toolset at any given moment and determining what is safe and unsafe and how best to maximize your effectiveness is something that is dynamic and complex (and subjectively, very rewarding). I'm not exactly sure how ranged weapons wouldn't fit into that framework though? They have movesets like anything else, and thoughtful application of that moveset gets you to the 2 minute bow kill videos on youtube.

Anyway, to me one of the most identifiable predecessors to monhun is the dynamic battle mode in Street Fighter Alpha 3, which is just a 2 on 1 coop mode against a super powered boss character. If you added gear to that it would be pretty much 2d monhun.

And yeah I'll give you that the Zorah fight is bad, but also incredibly unrepresentative.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CharlestheHammer posted:

The vaguest whiff of gameplay.

What does that mean?

Because it sounds meaningless.

It's when I delve into a depth five chalice dungeon whilst farting relentlessly.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Negrigante fight sucks and i quit after 3 trys to play a more fun game while i wait for my crew to grind and beat him for me

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

OK I watched that 2 minute bow kill video and that was sick. If I'm going to be Aloy I might as well use the weapon of choice and see how things go

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I like fighting the monsters and figuring out their behaviors in relation to where the fight is. It's cool to figure out that oh if I break that dragon's wings it may fumble when trying to fly away but now it will do a desperation running tackle, or this one will start calling for assistance from its minions if we're in its home so I should try to keep it away from there.

Someone once equated fighting the monsters in Monster Hunter to playing Punch Out and I have to agree, I like figuring out all their tells. It makes me feel really smart and learning to play against their habits can be really rewarding, like I'll go from spending 20-25 minutes fighting a monster once, but after a few more encounters I've figured it out and I have it down in 8. It's not like I'm even using a huge sword or anything, I like using the Sword and Shield which is a lot of small slashes and I'm still busting these monsters up. I bust 'em up, get a few new parts, figure it out, make a sword out of its tail, meet the next monster, find out my armor is weak to its element, go back and craft a charm and eat some food to negate it, slap that bastard around, and turn its scales into a hat. I find it very rewarding in a way that's different from Dark Souls. In Dark Souls, I'm satisfied with having killed it once. Phew! I got it! Next guy! But in Monster Hunter I want to figure out the best means of getting it, and my reward is that knowledge and a rad suit of armor or a fun Palico hat or this gigantic horn.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's insane how fast World presents new monsters to you compared to its predecessors. Maybe it dulls some of the feeling of deep understanding of a particular monster?

Not that I'm really complaining since in pre-World games the monster fights were spaced out with some of the most boring poo poo imaginable.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's insane how fast World presents new monsters to you compared to its predecessors. Maybe it dulls some of the feeling of deep understanding of a particular monster?

Not that I'm really complaining since in pre-World games the monster fights were spaced out with some of the most boring poo poo imaginable.

Yeah, I guess a bit. I realised today that I've fought or even seen Jyuratodis twice total and the second time was because I needed some parts. But I'd take that over "hey you went up one star in difficulty, kill Tetsucabra! Again! For no reason!"

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Policenaut posted:

I like fighting the monsters and figuring out their behaviors in relation to where the fight is. It's cool to figure out that oh if I break that dragon's wings it may fumble when trying to fly away but now it will do a desperation running tackle, or this one will start calling for assistance from its minions if we're in its home so I should try to keep it away from there.

Someone once equated fighting the monsters in Monster Hunter to playing Punch Out and I have to agree, I like figuring out all their tells. It makes me feel really smart and learning to play against their habits can be really rewarding, like I'll go from spending 20-25 minutes fighting a monster once, but after a few more encounters I've figured it out and I have it down in 8. It's not like I'm even using a huge sword or anything, I like using the Sword and Shield which is a lot of small slashes and I'm still busting these monsters up. I bust 'em up, get a few new parts, figure it out, make a sword out of its tail, meet the next monster, find out my armor is weak to its element, go back and craft a charm and eat some food to negate it, slap that bastard around, and turn its scales into a hat. I find it very rewarding in a way that's different from Dark Souls. In Dark Souls, I'm satisfied with having killed it once. Phew! I got it! Next guy! But in Monster Hunter I want to figure out the best means of getting it, and my reward is that knowledge and a rad suit of armor or a fun Palico hat or this gigantic horn.

Sounds cool when you put it like this

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finally played some of ff xv yesterday? Hows the english vo compared to the japanese one?
The open world feels ok and the desert theme is great. I really liked that mechanic girl.

there are side activities you can do?

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Feb 8, 2018

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Depends on your tolerance for southern accents.

The main cast is well done and everyone of importance is good (excluding maybe Gladio and his hufff i am a burllly mann urgh)

Side activities are fetch quests by NPCs and monster hunts from barkeeps aaand fishing

There are some hidden treasures and maybe optional dungeons you may find if you explore the map

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Feb 8, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
FFXV is the best fishing game ever.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

JBP posted:

FFXV is the best fishing game ever.

Ridiculous Fishing wants a word with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzKcJ8QFbMk

It is the best food simulator though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Samurai Sanders posted:

This but the environments. I just got to the coral forest, now you want me to move on already? There were like one story hunt and three optional ones.