Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Lightning Returns isn't an "action" game either, but it still required you to pretty constantly be performing "combos" of switching garbs and switching attacks, and blocking, and keeping your fingers coordinated and paying attention to what your enemies were doing, etc. So just because it's not Devil May Cry doesn't mean it's not going to be an engaging system. I dunno, Square has been coming up with some pretty interesting RPG/action hybrids lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Skeezy posted:

Has it been said how much work Nomura actually did outside of character designs? I'm curious to how much they are keeping from him in the final release.

In the first place he probably only came up with the world/story concept and the basic framework for the combat, the latter of which has likely been thrown out aside from conceptual things like Noctis' warping ability and use of multiple weapons.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Would love proper lock on to enemies and perhaps a mini map so I don't have to open a map constantly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

In the first place he probably only came up with the world/story concept and the basic framework for the combat, the latter of which has likely been thrown out aside from conceptual things like Noctis' warping ability and use of multiple weapons.

Yeah, I feel like a lot of elements of Noctis skillset are just holdovers like Lighting's gravity device. The warp blade in particular feels sort of like... "We had this in an earlier trailer and still need to have it." Maybe it'll fit better in the final version.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The warp blade is good because gently caress fighting sabertusks without it

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I feel like a lot of elements of Noctis skillset are just holdovers like Lighting's gravity device.
I wouldn't be surprised if XV was built off of Lightning Returns, honestly. Or if LR was a test for XV's battle system.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Shingouryu posted:

So I finished the demo today, and I noticed something intriguing...

Once you reclaim your car and head to the Disc, you get a little animated still image story teaser. Now, the thing I found most interesting is this image -

link for huge image - https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t31.0-8/11071464_882615998717_4936364760429721749_o.jpg

At first it seems kind of innocuous, but then I realized that the guy in the upper right is Ramuh. Following this logic, from right to left they are Ramuh, Shiva, Ifrit, wing guy (Bahamut?) and Siren, so there are some summons confirmed!

Also looks like Leviathan on the lower right (we already know he's in the game), and Ultros, and a gorgon on the lower left. I guess judging from the top half of the image, our crew is actually a Jesus tribute boy-band.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't remember the voice acting being this bad in the 40 minutes of FF13 I played before I set the disc on fire and threw it onto the freeway

Is it just because the characters personalities are being over-emphasized in the dub? Whatsisface's English accent is like being hit in the face with a plate of bangers and mash, Noctis and Gladio are both doing coolguy raspvoice and the idiot sounds like a character from a kid's anime. I mean, he sounds like that in the Japanese too, but he sounds like a character from a bad kids anime dub, I mean

It's weird to me because for FF13 and Kingdom Hearts, the Square-developed games with voice acting that I most remember, the problem was that they were saying asinine poo poo about light and dark and l'cie and falsies, not that the actual voice acting itself got on my nerves. Then again, Jensen from Deus Ex had a stupid voice too, so...

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I am streaming type-0 HD right now if anyone wants to watch.

http://www.twitch.tv/kalenn13

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's not the acting itself, you just dislike certain voice types.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Tae posted:

It's not the acting itself, you just dislike certain voice types.

It's both. They're bad characters being poorly acted.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The quicklook just went up. Yeah, it's not really an action RPG, but it's also not quite unengaged. It's all happening in real time, and you need to decide when to dodge and when to attack.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
If I had to describe the gameplay I'd say the midpoint between Crisis Core's almost-action-RPG and a more traditional "Single player MMO" style combat game like FF12/13/Xeno/whatever

da anime bulldog
Sep 14, 2004

My idea of helping people.
They need to work on the camera for FFXV and the clunky lock-on targeting. Otherwise, I'm impressed.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I posted a few pages back about giving XIII a real try for the first time and not liking the combat. Well I wasn't even out of the second chapter at that point and paradigms weren't in play yet, now that I've got the ability to switch around I'm having a lot more fun. It reminds me of X's combat, switching out different skillsets depending on what the battle needs at the moment. I'm also liking how fast paced the battles are, I switched the atb speed to slow for a little bit to get a better grasp of how the different roles behaved but I'm back to normal now. The only thing I'm not a big fan of now is not being able to decide who is in my party at any given time, but I'm only up to like chapter 6 right now and I do like how splitting the party up is taking the story in different directions.

Also, thanks to whoever it was that mentioned IZJS having a turbo mode set to L1. I had been trying to get that working before trying XIII but couldn't figure out why I was stuck in turbo.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Screw you, Adam Jensen had an awesome voice.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Type 0 is fun so far, but the camera control is super twitchy / laggy. I hope they patch it. Waiting for XV to download.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
the parry indicator makes no loving sense in the tutorial.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dubious posted:

the parry indicator makes no loving sense in the tutorial.

Literally hold down the defense button. The parry indicator is not a timing thing. It is letting you know a parriable attack is coming. You don't have to perfectly time it or anything. (I *think* the window may be larger if you're facing the attack instead of facing away with it but I didn't really check.)

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

mycot posted:

Screw you, Adam Jensen had an awesome voice.

That's mostly because it was the VA's actual voice.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Just to clear the air, the combat in 15 is very similar to Yakuza 4. The only difference is that everyone that isn't Kazuma Kiryu is CPU-controlled the entire game.

Varance fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 18, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Varance posted:

Just to clear the air, the combat in 15, and Type-0 to a lesser extent, is analogous to what you'd find in the latest Yakuza games.

So at this point are people just saying "FFXV is like (random game it isn't anything like)" as part of some weird elaborate injoke I don't get?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

bango skank posted:

I posted a few pages back about giving XIII a real try for the first time and not liking the combat. Well I wasn't even out of the second chapter at that point and paradigms weren't in play yet, now that I've got the ability to switch around I'm having a lot more fun. It reminds me of X's combat, switching out different skillsets depending on what the battle needs at the moment. I'm also liking how fast paced the battles are, I switched the atb speed to slow for a little bit to get a better grasp of how the different roles behaved but I'm back to normal now. The only thing I'm not a big fan of now is not being able to decide who is in my party at any given time, but I'm only up to like chapter 6 right now and I do like how splitting the party up is taking the story in different directions.

Also, thanks to whoever it was that mentioned IZJS having a turbo mode set to L1. I had been trying to get that working before trying XIII but couldn't figure out why I was stuck in turbo.

Don't worry, you won't be able to fully customize your party until after you've beaten the game because the experience requirements to unlock the "off-classes" of each party member are insane. Also you may or may not bang your head in frustration at boss fights because you did not stumble upon the Developer Approved party setup that they wanted you to use for a given fight.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

bango skank posted:

it is a looooong time before you get to freely pick your party.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

So at this point are people just saying "FFXV is like (random game it isn't anything like)" as part of some weird elaborate injoke I don't get?

Yeah varance this is nothing like a Yakuza game at all, but let me try this out, ImpAtom.

FF XV's combat is a lot like Third Strike, you gotta watch that health meter and parry an attack.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ff xv's combat is a lot like real life, since when you run out of energy it's hard to dodge attacks

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

FFXV is a lot like finding a date. I mean, eventually it has to come out, right? Right?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ffxv is a lot like the election campaign of william henry harrison, because it's bad.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

FFXV's gameplay is a lot like my posting. I get really hyped up leading up to the release then I realize it's the same poo poo it's always been.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ffxv is a lot like kingdom hearts 3

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Final Fantasy XV is like Final Fantasy 1.

It's the worst game in the series.

corn in the bible posted:

ffxv is a lot like kingdom hearts 3

Never coming out?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 18, 2015

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Played through the demo. I'd say it's a little more action-y than I thought it would be but invoking Souls is a huge stretch. It's basically a more dynamic FF12 with some context sensitive actions. When fighting big monsters, basically look for their wind-up and hold defense and you're fine.

The good: the environment looks great. The monster design is great. The weapon system looks to have a lot of potential. Gladio looks badass. The music is good and the behemoth is pretty cool. You can also totally beat him normally in 10 minutes but you have to stick to his left side and abuse dragoon jump. The combat shines when you're fighting one or a small number of enemies.

The bad: The combat is not great for large numbers and they throw that at you a lot. It's just a demo (can be said about it all) and I get that they're supposed to be fish out of water but the group just looks like a bunch of dorks. Change of clothing would be nice. The walking dialogue gets old really quickly compared to DA:I. There are some nasty bugs related to combat. Targeting is too loose and weird. Goblin poison gets old quick. Having to rest for buffs gets old quick. The NPC AI needs to be tuned up a bit. The lighting system looks great but in practice, fighting those wolf things in dark forested areas is painful and unfun. They need to add some better targeting UI to compensate like maybe highlighting.

The ugly: A lot of people said "no ladies in the party, what the gently caress" when details were shown. I thought the demo might make a good case for the boyband thing to work but if anything the lack of character variety felt more pronounced because of the limited dialogue available. I'm also in the "Prompto is distracting and annoying" camp. The VA direction still obviously needs a lot of work anyway.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Type-0 is a weird rear end game and I'm not sure how to feel about it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

It'd be cool to see something like that dumb Sephiroth attack where he destroys all the planets with magic current gen technology

Kimahri's ultimate overdrive in FFX was this fyi, it actually looks pretty nice in FFX HD. You have to get it off of Omega Weapon who is at the end of a dungeon where there's no map and there are really tough battles every 4 steps.

Too bad nobody uses Kimahri long enough for it to be useful

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Whats the skinny on FF Type-0? I heard literally nothing about the game until yesterday and kind of want to go into it completely blind since it's rare I manage to have zero exposure to a major release, but sometimes Final Fantasy games are bad enough that people crush the cd and burn the box it came in.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Scrree posted:

Whats the skinny on FF Type-0? I heard literally nothing about the game until yesterday and kind of want to go into it completely blind since it's rare I manage to have zero exposure to a major release, but sometimes Final Fantasy games are bad enough that people crush the cd and burn the box it came in.

Gameplay wise, think Crisis Core but with more camera blur and more variety in fighting styles.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

How is FF Type 0 remote play and can you pretend it was finally released for the Vita

I don't have a PS4 yet but I'm looking forward to that one feature

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
How does Episode Duscae combat compare to Kingdom Hearts, if NewGame+ dancing with the Behemoth in the field isn't more Dark Souls than Final Fantasy in combat and gameplay in the best of stamina-management animation-priority ways?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Scrree posted:

My 6 hours barely played synopsis: a fun fighting system bogged down by a lot of questionable design choices. It's fun when you are fighting and kind of intolerable when you are not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

My 6 hours barely played synopsis: a fun fighting system bogged down by a lot of questionable design choices. It's fun when you are fighting and kind of intolerable when you are not.

So far I think I enjoyed Crisis Core more, which isn't a good sign.

The setting is reasonably interesting, but suffers from PSP sized dialogue (small). Maybe it improves later.