Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So is the Pyromancy flame you get in the DLC WEAKER at +10 than the regular pyromancy flame?! What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Quantum of Phallus posted:

So is the Pyromancy flame you get in the DLC WEAKER at +10 than the regular pyromancy flame?! What the gently caress?

Its slightly weaker but it has a weird interaction with combustion spells that can cause them to hit twice. So if you use those a lot its actually better.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Will it do anything for my black chaos fireball?

Why would they put an extra flame in the game and have it weaker when you max it :qq:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Why would they put an extra flame in the game and have it weaker when you max it :qq:

I think it's actually stronger at lower int/fth. Plus it has that weird mechanic where it gives you extra estus after you kill a few enemies.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Same reason they have multiple chimes, talismans, and staves: poo poo's different yo*. The Parting Flame has a bit better base spellbuff, making it better for hybrid builds that don't go all the way to 45/45. It also has the unique secondary flame property that Kraken mentioned, wherein several spell types (fireballs and combustions basically) cause it to emit an extremely close range flame trail that does solid damage. That's why it's used with Black Flame and Great Combustion, since the secondary flame is almost guaranteed to hit with those two spells and when it does the damage gets pretty crazy.

Finally it has a unique weapon art that's completely useless/kind of interesting. Enemies dying charges it up and every....12 enemies or so (don't quote me on that) it gives you a free Estus. This is actually kind of neat if you get the Parting Flame early on, since it lets you allocate more Ashen Estus, since you'll be getting 3-4 free regular Estus per area. It also is situationally useful in invasions since more Estus is always good (it may only charge up if the world is Seeded however, I don't recall).

*As an aside, if anyone is wondering why do they have so many different casting tools, here's the deal: Every type (Pyro Flames excluded obviously) follows some basic rules. There's always a low-stat implement (Priest's Chime, Sorceror's Staff, and the Talisman), a medium-stat one (Cleric's Sacred Chime, Heretic's Staff, and the Canvas Talisman), and a high-stat one (Yorshka's Chime, Court Sorceror's Staff, and the Saint's Talisman). The low-stat one will have the best spellbuff at lower stat investments, the medium-stat one at medium stat investments, and so on.

Then there will be one or more "utility" implements that will have a lower spellbuff but some sort of utility function. For staves there are four, the Witchtree Branch (faster casting speed), Storyteller's Staff (toxin weapon art), Medicant's Staff (increased Soul drops), and the Sage's Crystal Staff (a super-charged Steady Chant). Talismans have the Sunlight Talisman (an effectively invincible Unfaltering Prayer) and chimes have the Saint-Tree Bellvine (faster casting speed).

After that there are the three Hexer (aka Dark) implements: Izalith Staff, Caitha's Chime, and Sunless Talisman, which give large bonuses to Hexes. The rest of the non-weapon casting implements are "specialty" implements that enable some kind of funky build or can cast multiple schools: the Man-Grub's staff (scales with Luck), Archdeacon's Great Staff (scales with Faith), White Hair Talisman (can cast Miracles and Pyromancies), and the Crystal Chime (can cast Miracles and Sorceries).

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 10, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AttackBacon posted:

and the Crystal Chime (can cast Miracles and Sorceries).

:eyepop: I gotta find this

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So having thought about the ringed City potentially being Londor I realised that the Pilgrims of Londor are actually quite clever, in that they aren't coming from the city of Londor to Lothric, they're coming to the location where the City of Londor will be.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
She's a hot waifu

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

:eyepop: I gotta find this

If you're leveling both int and faith anyway, it's also got very nice spellbuff/damage numbers compared to the same amount of int-or-faith with a miracle/sorcery-exclusive catalyst, though it softcaps around 45/45. That said, leveling both means you could have been leveling the other one twice as much by focusing on it, so that may not necessarily be a meaningful comparison.

It's in the grand archives, by the way, fairly early on (not far from the first wax pool, near the red-eyed patrolling knight, if you go into the dark room after the wax pool you've gone too far).

Vil fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 10, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
If you enjoy spoilers, Vaati got to play the DLC and wrote up some notes and observations.

Pretty detailed spoilers including gameplay, item descriptions and such.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s281/sh/393a0e74-5dd1-46d3-ae9b-42b9146bb82a/e1ec02ada85b6a30

Again, only follow that link if you want spoilers on the new DLC.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That link's very interesting, and yes, very spoilery. It basically confirms a few things people already guessed and introduces some things nobody really needed to know about. Like the fate of Lothric's wet nurse, the high priestess. Who I could have sworn was Emma, but oh well.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Can anybody help me kill Pontiff Sulyvahn? This motherfucker is on my last nerve. I get him down to like 1/4 health and the phantom guy and insane range is crazy. I'm on PC. My dude is wearing a wedding dress.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
This thread is pretty good about spoilers but I'm having a hard time not watching these gameplay videos. I'll see y'all when the dlc drops!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

vandalism posted:

Can anybody help me kill Pontiff Sulyvahn? This motherfucker is on my last nerve. I get him down to like 1/4 health and the phantom guy and insane range is crazy. I'm on PC. My dude is wearing a wedding dress.

I can sunbro for you. PSN is lite_sleepr.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lite_sleepr posted:

I can sunbro for you. PSN is lite_sleepr.

PC man

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Pfft. Baka gaijins.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
No worries, friend. Me and a sunbro killed that fucker real good. Now I gotta kill Aldritch. He's a bastard with his big spells. Guess what, motherfucker, I got that spell shield thing :getin:

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

vandalism posted:

No worries, friend. Me and a sunbro killed that fucker real good. Now I gotta kill Aldritch. He's a bastard with his big spells. Guess what, motherfucker, I got that spell shield thing :getin:

just run up to his face and smash it. all of aldritch's really bad poo poo is long range.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

On the other hand, homing arrow rain from the sky is harder to get away from if you're right up close to him (and thus under it) when it starts.

... Though this has me wondering how well it turns (because it's not instant, even later in the fight when it's fast), and whether it would be viable to roll through it and try to make it waste time circling around to follow you in the new direction.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Homing arrow is in his second phase. The wide angle spray is in the first phase and you can get behind him and it misses you totally.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

i've never had him cast homing arrow when i was close so i just assumed it was a distance spell

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I've tried for two hours or more now and can't get him. gently caress. He's resistant to sorceries and one hit pretty much destroys my dude. Not even sure what to do. I stay back, his bigass laser blasts me. I get in close and he scythes me and arrows me simultaneously (so it seems). I poke at his butt with my rapier but that isn't too great. Pestilent Mercury does a ton of damage to him, but staying alive is the problem. I mix mercury with poking and great heavy soul arrow and no matter what he gets me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My advice is to run in wide circles like a maniac. From my experience, doing so confuses the boss enough that it'll just slither around everywhere trying to close in on you. Note that you may already be running in circles like a maniac in which case I cannot help you, I'm sorry.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

vandalism posted:

I've tried for two hours or more now and can't get him. gently caress. He's resistant to sorceries and one hit pretty much destroys my dude. Not even sure what to do. I stay back, his bigass laser blasts me. I get in close and he scythes me and arrows me simultaneously (so it seems). I poke at his butt with my rapier but that isn't too great. Pestilent Mercury does a ton of damage to him, but staying alive is the problem. I mix mercury with poking and great heavy soul arrow and no matter what he gets me.

You should be able to take a hit or two and have time to estus, sounds like you have pretty low VIG. You can grab a bunch of levels by heading down into the Irithyll Dungeons and following them to the end, then coming back to clean up Aldrich.

Also worth noting that he's significantly harder without summons because otherwise the phase 2 arrows mean you get very little uptime compared to when someone else is doing the running away.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Vil posted:

On the other hand, homing arrow rain from the sky is harder to get away from if you're right up close to him (and thus under it) when it starts.

... Though this has me wondering how well it turns (because it's not instant, even later in the fight when it's fast), and whether it would be viable to roll through it and try to make it waste time circling around to follow you in the new direction.
I basically beat him by rolling in a box shape to avoid his homing arrows and trying to stay as close as possible to him as possible. I think I tried rolling through the arrows and it didn't work because I'd get tagged by the tail end of it and stunned. (its also possible my timing wasn't tight enough)

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Aww guys my 7 year old got me a ds shirt for my birthday a couple months ago and evidently it was held up in the post and just arrived! :3:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Give that kid a raise in his allowance

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Praise the Son / Daughter

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Aw man, apparently they're releasing a version that comes bundled with the DLC in April - having just finished DS1 and 2 I'm super tempted to jump in now, but the sensible thing feels like to just wait for that bundled edition and save like 30$ - at least assuming the price of the GOTY edition is going to cost of a regular game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you get it now you can level your character for the DLC 👀

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Aldrich is crazy weak to fire. If you're a mage you can cast profane flame found in the dungeon.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Inspector_666 posted:

How does this work?

I only know how to do it on PS4, but I'm told that it works similarly on other platforms. Memorize the host's username and then when you get a chance, go into your Players Met screen and block every other connected player. If any of those players dies or black crystals out, the game won't allow them to be resummoned. I don't like switching out of the game when I'm playing so I use the PSN app on my tablet to do this. If you kill a phantom and the host tries to resummon them, then what you'll see is "Summoning another phantom..." followed by "Could not summon phantom. Guest was unable to join session." a few seconds later.

Bonus hilarity points if you see that several times in a row. Just make sure that you unblock them when you're done or you won't be able to invade those players again. If you've invaded a gank, though, that can be a good thing; just be sure to block the host too. It won't allow you to invade the same gank again.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Asehujiko posted:

I'm going through the Ruins now as a caster and all my poo poo just snags on tree roots so at the moment my strategy is:
1. Go offline
2. Ember up
3. Summon Tsorig
4. Let Tsorig kill like one and a half of those birds before succumbing to the floating fireball turrets
5. Run back to the bonfire and resummon Tsorig

?

I'm pretty sure you can't resummon NPCs unless you rest at a bonfire, which also resets all enemies.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

...! posted:

?

I'm pretty sure you can't resummon NPCs unless you rest at a bonfire, which also resets all enemies.

Never tried it with Tsorig, but in the other games you can usually quit and reload to get summon signs back without respawning enemies.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

AttackBacon posted:

Same reason they have multiple chimes, talismans, and staves: poo poo's different yo*. The Parting Flame has a bit better base spellbuff, making it better for hybrid builds that don't go all the way to 45/45. It also has the unique secondary flame property that Kraken mentioned, wherein several spell types (fireballs and combustions basically) cause it to emit an extremely close range flame trail that does solid damage. That's why it's used with Black Flame and Great Combustion, since the secondary flame is almost guaranteed to hit with those two spells and when it does the damage gets pretty crazy.

Finally it has a unique weapon art that's completely useless/kind of interesting. Enemies dying charges it up and every....12 enemies or so (don't quote me on that) it gives you a free Estus. This is actually kind of neat if you get the Parting Flame early on, since it lets you allocate more Ashen Estus, since you'll be getting 3-4 free regular Estus per area. It also is situationally useful in invasions since more Estus is always good (it may only charge up if the world is Seeded however, I don't recall).

*As an aside, if anyone is wondering why do they have so many different casting tools, here's the deal: Every type (Pyro Flames excluded obviously) follows some basic rules. There's always a low-stat implement (Priest's Chime, Sorceror's Staff, and the Talisman), a medium-stat one (Cleric's Sacred Chime, Heretic's Staff, and the Canvas Talisman), and a high-stat one (Yorshka's Chime, Court Sorceror's Staff, and the Saint's Talisman). The low-stat one will have the best spellbuff at lower stat investments, the medium-stat one at medium stat investments, and so on.

Then there will be one or more "utility" implements that will have a lower spellbuff but some sort of utility function. For staves there are four, the Witchtree Branch (faster casting speed), Storyteller's Staff (toxin weapon art), Medicant's Staff (increased Soul drops), and the Sage's Crystal Staff (a super-charged Steady Chant). Talismans have the Sunlight Talisman (an effectively invincible Unfaltering Prayer) and chimes have the Saint-Tree Bellvine (faster casting speed).

After that there are the three Hexer (aka Dark) implements: Izalith Staff, Caitha's Chime, and Sunless Talisman, which give large bonuses to Hexes. The rest of the non-weapon casting implements are "specialty" implements that enable some kind of funky build or can cast multiple schools: the Man-Grub's staff (scales with Luck), Archdeacon's Great Staff (scales with Faith), White Hair Talisman (can cast Miracles and Pyromancies), and the Crystal Chime (can cast Miracles and Sorceries).

The crucial difference between the different talismans is damage vs. amount of hyperarmor on the weapon art. Generally, the higher the MagAdjust the weaker the hyperarmor and vice versa. You'll usually want more hyperarmor if you mainly use miracles that take awhile to cast. This doesn't apply to chimes since chimes don't get hyperarmor.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

It's just the same as with wands, talismans, and chimes. There's no objectively best wand, talisman or chime and they're not going to make an objectively best pyromancy flame. No matter what casting implement you use, there are always tradeoffs. You have to decide what's most important to you: the extra damage of the regular flame or the two extra abilities of the DLC flame. Every player will have a different preference.

Edit: You could always slot both flames on the same hand and switch between the two depending on what you're going to cast; use the parting flame on close-range pyromancies and the regular flame for everything else.

...! fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 11, 2017

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Fighting Oceiros early by myself was pretty fun. What's also fun is using the MLGS. I'm liking this sword and I'm glad I made a wizard for this playthrough.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I need a solaire shirt.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lite_sleepr posted:

I need a solaire shirt.

Make one. That way it'll be real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr