Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
A new rider kid I took out a few times earlier this year fancies himself a vlogger and hangs with the wrong bike crowd. He just crashed again like a moron. I'm glad smartphones and gopros weren't around when I started riding. This poo poo is why people say your first year or more of riding should be dedicated to learning how to control the vehicle and how to place yourself in the best possible situation on the roads.

1:00 for the action, 3:20 for the replay and alternate view.

Also don't wear a fuckin' muppet helmet if there's a chance that you might actually look like a fuckin muppet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M12ZLf8zLQ

He has like 40 subs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Hey, at leased next year you can say you know someone that was in No Prisoners.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I wasn't even expecting the crash and the obvious red lights caused me to tense up. Dude needs to focus on riding instead of tossing a ton of distractions into the mix.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In it for the wrong reasons, good luck with death/injury.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

so did he add the sick windshield and tank stickers and chop off one mirror or did the bike come that way

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That bike was hosed up in a way I've never seen when I rode with him. His rear shock was completely toast and the rear wheel would literally bounce going into turns. Like drat near leaving the pavement. I dunno if he ever fixed it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
That Guzzi adv bike:

The exhaust is always in the way of luggage on most any bike. The bag on that side just ends up with a cutout and a heat shield.

Guzzis sell for way less and seem to have cheaper owners than BMWs on the whole. I imagine SW Motech will do fine with accessories for that bike since their stuff isn't usually crazy expensive. Touratech and AltRider, maybe not so much.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 19, 2017

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

New Guzzi adventure, I love it.

Not my style of bike, but glad to see Galluzzi and crew have finally managed to get a wholly new design out to production.

For those not up on Italian bike drama, Piaggio poached Miguel Galluzzi from Ducati (where he had designed the Monster and most of the Cagiva range) and put him in overall charge of their big-bike design, where he was responsible for the overall design of the Aprilia Shiver, Dorsoduro, and Mana and the styling of the RSV and Tuono, before turning to Guzzi.

Gossip has it that they've basically spent the last three years at the Guzzi factory with a copy of "Bike Design For Dummies" and a baseball bat with a nail through it trying to get them to understand that things have moved on since the days of the underbone frame and maybe, just maybe, bikes can weigh less than cars. Things came to a head last year with the head of Guzzi's "Two Wheeled Operations" division quitting with, presumably, a lot of vivid hand gestures.

The alleged Galluzzi-designed models up this point have either actually been effective reskins of ooooold designs (California, late-model V7, V9) or just straight-up concept bikes built at Aprilia around Guzzi engines (the... interesting looking V12 range):

V12 LM Concept

V12 X Concept

V12 DERP Strada concept

Oh yeah, those stacked headlights? Miguel's got his old boss, Pierre Terreblanche (designer of the Ducati 999) working for him now too. Also the rumours that Piaggio were spreading was that while Aprilia had the old 8V engine they took the liberty of tweaking it a bit both production-wise and performance-wise, making both a bit more 21st-century. If these things actually make it to production with half-decent engines then that could be very interesting.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I like the skid plate attached to the exhaust because the engine is a stressed member.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

nsaP posted:

A new rider kid I took out a few times earlier this year fancies himself a vlogger and hangs with the wrong bike crowd. He just crashed again like a moron. I'm glad smartphones and gopros weren't around when I started riding. This poo poo is why people say your first year or more of riding should be dedicated to learning how to control the vehicle and how to place yourself in the best possible situation on the roads.

Also don't wear a fuckin' muppet helmet if there's a chance that you might actually look like a fuckin muppet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M12ZLf8zLQ

He has like 40 subs

I like how his buddy isn't the least bit surprised

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i like how the guy calls himself "that GS dude" as if owning a GS500 is anything to brag about

like, they're fine, but i'm shocked that anyone would do the whole define-your-personality-by-the-bike-you-ride thing with something so generic

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, you know me. I'm that guy you always see around. The guy with the 1998 Toyota Tercel. they call me That Tercel Dude. lllllllaaaadies

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

nsaP posted:

He has like 40 subs

I know adrenaline does weird things, but I can't get over him walking around to lay back down in the middle of the road.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m surprised he wrote himself into a corner with that YouTube name because that riding style screams “I’ll be off this GS500 and on a liter bike in a month”

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
There is definitely a subgroup of ersatz motvloggers who carry on with names they probably deprecated within weeks of starting out.

There’s bound to be some guy on a half-dead 929RR somewhere with a YouTube channel called SymWolf150Dude. Paid like $100 for this jigglytext-and-dubstep intro reel that puts 50% of viewers off before they get to the “content”, ain’t going back now!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, you know me. I'm that guy you always see around. The guy with the 1998 Toyota Tercel. they call me That Tercel Dude. lllllllaaaadies

I owned a 98 tercel and it was the best car I've ever had :saddowns:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m surprised he wrote himself into a corner with that YouTube name because that riding style screams “I’ll be off this GS500 and on a liter bike in a month”

Um, sir, GSX-R1000. His handle is just fine.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not my style of bike, but glad to see Galluzzi and crew have finally managed to get a wholly new design out to production.

For those not up on Italian bike drama, Piaggio poached Miguel Galluzzi from Ducati (where he had designed the Monster and most of the Cagiva range) and put him in overall charge of their big-bike design, where he was responsible for the overall design of the Aprilia Shiver, Dorsoduro, and Mana and the styling of the RSV and Tuono, before turning to Guzzi.

Gossip has it that they've basically spent the last three years at the Guzzi factory with a copy of "Bike Design For Dummies" and a baseball bat with a nail through it trying to get them to understand that things have moved on since the days of the underbone frame and maybe, just maybe, bikes can weigh less than cars. Things came to a head last year with the head of Guzzi's "Two Wheeled Operations" division quitting with, presumably, a lot of vivid hand gestures.

The alleged Galluzzi-designed models up this point have either actually been effective reskins of ooooold designs (California, late-model V7, V9) or just straight-up concept bikes built at Aprilia around Guzzi engines (the... interesting looking V12 range):

V12 LM Concept

V12 X Concept

V12 DERP Strada concept

Oh yeah, those stacked headlights? Miguel's got his old boss, Pierre Terreblanche (designer of the Ducati 999) working for him now too. Also the rumours that Piaggio were spreading was that while Aprilia had the old 8V engine they took the liberty of tweaking it a bit both production-wise and performance-wise, making both a bit more 21st-century. If these things actually make it to production with half-decent engines then that could be very interesting.

That's some cool gossip, but christ those are some ugly loving concept bikes.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

nsaP posted:

He has like 40 subs

41 now
:munch:

Now Billy Joel can do a show like Ewan did.

Or Redneck Zombie Daryl

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

https://twitter.com/i/moments/932653395860697089

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AKA a normal commute in Taiwan.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Brough do you even lift?

P1050249
by King Dugga, on Flickr

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

43 :smug:

Can't wait to see what he does for hitting his lifelong dream of 50 subs!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

Brough do you even lift?

P1050249
by King Dugga, on Flickr

This is like someone was trying to do the opposite of designing the bike. Like some kind of maverick Avant Garde bike designer trying to refute the foundations of bike design came up with it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

This is like someone was trying to do the opposite of designing the bike. Like some kind of maverick Avant Garde bike designer trying to refute the foundations of bike design came up with it.

Almost as though it were designed by the combined forces of an English motorcycle enthusiast and a French designer.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

And of course they're all wearing flipflops.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

It's much prettier in the flesh, and of course apes the original SS100 pretty closely style-wise. Still not worth whatever the pricetag is, and I could tell that just by the plushness of the leather sofas at their stand at the London MCN show earlier this year.

(A stand that was incidentally larger and better-appointed than the entire Piaggio Group's stand. Mind you Lexmoto had a bigger stand than both)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's much prettier in the flesh, and of course apes the original SS100 pretty closely style-wise. Still not worth whatever the pricetag is, and I could tell that just by the plushness of the leather sofas at their stand at the London MCN show earlier this year.

(A stand that was incidentally larger and better-appointed than the entire Piaggio Group's stand. Mind you Lexmoto had a bigger stand than both)

Forty-Five Thousand Pounds. AKA the price of a deposit on a one bedroom shoebox in suburban London. AKA the price of a damp garage in suburban London that you bought to park it in. AKA Are You loving Mental.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbuDFbJHuTO/

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

Forty-Five Thousand Pounds. AKA the price of a deposit on a one bedroom shoebox in suburban London. AKA the price of a damp garage in suburban London that you bought to park it in. AKA Are You loving Mental.

It's not being marketed to you or me though. It's being marketed to the people who already own and rent out those shoeboxes and garages. Also that's like half the price of even the tattiest running original SS100 out there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok team, time for a game of fill in the blanks!

"I run race wets on my street bike because ________"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Slavvy posted:

I really like replacing fairings with fake carbon fiber pieces.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
It keeps me on the road when my fork oil drips all over the tires.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slavvy posted:

raindrops keep falling on my head.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I run race wets on my street bike because gixxer bro.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What really perplexes me is that he knew someone he could get some used wets from, and presumably kows what they're intended for, yet somehow avoided the common sense by osmosis you get when dealing with someone who isn't a massive idiot.

Having never ridden a bike with wets, how do they behave in the dry? What kind of lifespan would you expect being ridden on the road? So many questions.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Are race wets not serviceable tires for street use? I know race tires in general are bad, and slicks are bad, and used tires are bad, but wouldn't that tire work ok?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I imagine they don't need to get as warm as slicks / tires not designed for the rain, but wouldn't they still have lovely life and probably need to warm up a bit to have traction?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
From watching MotoGP I've learned that wets disintegrate pretty bloody quickly when they don't have water on the track to keep them cool. Obviously street riding not being as intense as that they must last longer, but you'd have to wonder how long...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I have to give a brother props: running race wets is a great way to deflect most of the criticisms you'd get for running race slicks while still reaping many of the benefits of being so hardcore that you run race tars on your street bike.

Venn diagram: accomplished.