Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
He's basically a way more attractive Robert Z'Dar. Who I just discovered is in fact dead which is sad. I really liked him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hollismason posted:

All this talk about Lights Out reminds me strongly of the Uruguayan horror film La Casa Muda or The Silent House. It's a super loving intense low budget film and incredibly scary.

It's on Shudder and you should not read anything about the film, just watch it.

I'd put it up there with The Babadook in intensity and emotion.

Oh I forgot to add that the film is one long take.

In the years since it and the remake, I've only grown to like it more.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I know it was recommended a few times here already, but I'll throw another recommendation behind STRANGER THINGS on Netflix.

It's really well done.

It wears its influences on its sleeve. Does that font remind you of classic Stephen King? That's intentional. Does a team of kids fighting monsters remind you of The Goonies? Exactly. Weird interdimensional stuff happening, ala Twin Peaks? Yup. You can tell it's made for and by actual fans of the genre.

The soundtrack (and sound design in general) is great. The way there are different groups who are all experiencing the events based on their generation is really well done (children seeing it head on, teenagers understanding the danger, adults being mostly oblivious until too late -- perhaps a bit cliche but like I said, this show is about celebrating this kind of classic storyline). Most of the actors are great: especially the kids. Oh yeah and it has Sgt.Joker as a bad guy! The ambulance driver from The Knick runs the local diner. The Sheriff is played by the "other" anchor from The Newsroom and he does a great job here.

I mean, look at it:

The season is self-contained too and has an actual arc that resolves.

There are elements that some people are going to poo poo themselves over: there's a CGI monster, Winona Ryder is in it (ie: she's in something that's not Heathers), and like any story driven horror, characters make weird choices, but I had no problem with any of this.

ALSO, speaking as an old man (1980s survivor), this show got the 80s right like few others. So many little things were happening in the background, it was crazy. The songs they pulled for the soundtrack were great too (and I don't know how they could afford some of them - Joy Division ... The Clash ... Echo and the Bunnymen).

I'd like to discuss more of it, but don't want to spoil it because I suspect a lot of people haven't seen it yet.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 25, 2016

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

There's a thread in the TV forum about Stranger Things, but yeah, it's great. A trope fest that's not really gonna surprise you too much, but an enjoyable one.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

trip9 posted:

There's a thread in the TV forum about Stranger Things, but yeah, it's great. A trope fest that's not really gonna surprise you too much, but an enjoyable one.

I wanted to recommend it here specifically because the horror knowledge in the TVIV can be problematic.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Alhazred posted:

He has that kind of face.

Perlman has that Neanderthal look that is right up there with Michael Berryman as one of the ug.... *cough* best looking men in Hollywood.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

InfiniteZero posted:

I wanted to recommend it here specifically because the horror knowledge in the TVIV can be problematic.

Very charitable of you to put it that way.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Is La Casa Muda considerably better than the remake? because that remake was...not good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

Is La Casa Muda considerably better than the remake? because that remake was...not good.

It's the same movie, more or less.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I haven't seen the remake but La Casa Muda is turrible

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

I watched Screamers (the Peter Weller movie) and yikes. I tried to like it, but it isn't even as good as Leviathan.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

im gaye posted:

I watched Screamers (the Peter Weller movie) and yikes. I tried to like it, but it isn't even as good as Leviathan.

Daniel Stern cracked me up.

EDIT: Screamers is rated higher by a good deal on RT & IMDB.

I might have to give it a shot to throw in my 2 cents.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I like Screamers quite a bit, I rewatched it recently and I still dig it. It does a good job of adapting the Philip K Dick story it's based on ("Second Variety"); the ending to the movie is a little different and not quite as bleak, but it's still pretty bleak.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Ramadu posted:

I've said it before but Possession is basically the most realistic film ever made about divorce.

This one struck too close to home.

I'm not sure which movie about dysfunctional relationships made me most uncomfortable:

Possession, Bug, or Antichrist.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

ObamaPhone posted:

This one struck too close to home.

Did you once find your wife in an old apartment building having sex with a slime demon beast with her dead human lover slumped over in the corner?

That's just NO FUN at all.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016
Anybody else care to throw in their top picks for bad relationships in horror movies?

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

InfiniteZero posted:

Did you once find your wife in an old apartment building having sex with a slime demon beast with her dead human lover slumped over in the corner?

That's just NO FUN at all.

Nope, not myself.

I grew up in a chaotic house though.

ObamaPhone fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 25, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
as a demon slime beast i assure you that this is really awkward for me as well

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

ObamaPhone posted:

Anybody else care to throw in their top picks for bad relationships in horror movies?

Jesse's relationship to his own sexuality in A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 is bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkSO7FOtYaY

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

InfiniteZero posted:

Jesse's relationship to his own sexuality in A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 is bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkSO7FOtYaY

:tutbutt:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Man everyone was saying Stranger Things is merely okay, but unless it falls off a cliff after the first episode I'm guessing it's a lot better than okay.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

ObamaPhone posted:

Do I have to be obvious here and say Audition? :)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Man everyone was saying Stranger Things is merely okay, but unless it falls off a cliff after the first episode I'm guessing it's a lot better than okay.

It's a mostly fantastic show with one really, really huge black mark on it. Steve is one of the most infuriating assholes ever put on television and the show never seems to fully realize this. He's like if Joffrey from GoT got the Poochie treatment.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's a mostly fantastic show with one really, really huge black mark on it. Steve is one of the most infuriating assholes ever put on television and the show never seems to fully realize this. He's like if Joffrey from GoT got the Poochie treatment.

I guess I'll have to wait and see how much worse he gets, because right now my impression of him is basically "he's exactly as much of a jerk as an actual teenager would be and I like how it humanizes him."

I don't like him but that's never been my criteria for good/watchable film and television. Everyone in this show seems so well-realized.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

For me it's not really falling off a cliff in later episodes but the slow realization that nope, there is absolutely not a single original streak in the whole thing. It's well made but baffingly generic. It's not even taking multiple elements from disparate sources and creating something new, it's just the average of multiple things.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

For me it's not really falling off a cliff in later episodes but the slow realization that nope, there is absolutely not a single original streak in the whole thing. It's well made but baffingly generic. It's not even taking multiple elements from disparate sources and creating something new, it's just the average of multiple things.

it ruled

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
i disagree, it drooled

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

The execution is what makes it, though. Like the mom buying the new telephone after a supernatural entity threatened(?) her over the old one, where she plugs it in and then gets as far away from the outlet and scooches a chair over so the line will just barely reach so she can wait by the phone for it to call again. I love this.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

I agree with this, I got bored around episode 4, gave up and just read plot summaries of the rest of the episodes and it seems nothing happens that I haven't already seen done better a bunch of times elsewhere.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Stranger Things is basically a pretty good season of American Horror Story under a different name. Originality isn't the point, the point is to take a bunch of very familiar and recognizable genre cliches, throw them all in a blender, and see what comes out.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I disagree, I think the show is extremely aware that Steve's role in a traditional narrative is as the "obnoxious jerk boyfriend who the female lead eventually realizes sucks and ditches for the male lead", and I think it deliberately plays with and against that cliche.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
High school girls like assholes. This isn't a new phenomena.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I loved Steve's character arc.

The movie is spot the error movie reference. They even reference Event Horizon.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Plus I don't really even go in for "and then the huge rear end in a top hat died choking on his own vomit" school of catharsis anyways.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

King of Bleh posted:

Stranger Things is basically a pretty good season of American Horror Story under a different name. Originality isn't the point, the point is to take a bunch of very familiar and recognizable genre cliches, throw them all in a blender, and see what comes out.

That's probably why it didn't work for me as I've never felt any inclination to watch American Horror Story for pretty much those reasons.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I don't know if that comparison is fair. American Horror Story, while it was frequently a lot of fun for how wacky and "oh my god they went there" it got, was never especially good at consistent characterization or keeping track of plot threads.

I mean the show peaked with the musical episode in the asylum, which even if you haven't seen it, is exactly what it sounds like.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 26, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Plus I don't really even go in for "and then the huge rear end in a top hat died choking on his own vomit" school of catharsis anyways.

I don't either, generally, but Steve is just that bad of a character. I see the point about how, yeah, it's realistic, and yeah, they played with the trope by having him very halfassedly turn out to be "good," but that still doesn't make the character pleasant to watch or a positive addition to the show. Had he actually shown any kind of personal growth beyond "oh hey maybe I shouldn't let the guy who I've repeatedly accused of murdering his own brother die to a horrible monster," then maybe, but he moved an inch and the show treated it like a mile.

It's not the fact that he's an rear end in a top hat: it's the sheer loving magnitude of how much of an rear end in a top hat he is. The show tries to paint his friends as somehow significantly worse than him, but literally the only thing they do that he doesn't is poo poo on Nancy. Which he's totally cool with doing, too, until Jonathan beats his rear end for it; I actually got the strong implication that the only reason he started treating the two of them decently is "fear of another beatdown."

Also, that beatdown was genuinely one of the most cathartic things I've ever seen on TV and I wish they'd dragged it out a little longer, just having Jonathan go full They Live on his dumb rear end.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 26, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

(Stranger Things chat follows)

e: The camera scene in episode 3 is Steve being a dick, sure, but taking pictures of someone else undressing in their home before they have sex is incredibly loving creepy and I know plenty of mostly-reasonable adults who'd have trouble not punching someone in the face over something like that. It's not the right thing to do, but everyone in that scene is acting how you'd expect a bunch of teenagers to act. All the moreso because Nancy's reaction is neither to go "oh my god what a creep" nor to act sympathetic to him, but simply to pick up the pictures so she can keep her own secret.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't either, generally, but Steve is just that bad of a character. I see the point about how, yeah, it's realistic, and yeah, they played with the trope by having him very halfassedly turn out to be "good," but that still doesn't make the character pleasant to watch or a positive addition to the show. Had he actually shown any kind of personal growth beyond "oh hey maybe I shouldn't let the guy who I've repeatedly accused of murdering his own brother die to a horrible monster," then maybe, but he moved an inch and the show treated it like a mile.

It's not the fact that he's an rear end in a top hat: it's the sheer loving magnitude of how much of an rear end in a top hat he is. The show tries to paint his friends as somehow significantly worse than him, but literally the only thing they do that he doesn't is poo poo on Nancy. Which he's totally cool with doing, too, until Jonathan beats his rear end for it; I actually got the strong implication that the only reason he started treating the two of them decently is "fear of another beatdown."

Also, that beatdown was genuinely one of the most cathartic things I've ever seen on TV and I wish they'd dragged it out a little longer, just having Jonathan go full They Live on his dumb rear end.

On the other hand, Jonathan is a big old creep and a pretty bad actor so that beatdown gave me absolutely no catharsis.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If I'm going to be honest, I don't really like any of the high schoolers' plot, Steve was just the only part that actively infuriated me instead of just making me think "oh jesus can we go back to the rad kids or the rad sheriff instead of these assholes." In hindsight, the creepy thing Jonathan does feels like a plot contrivance to set up Steve openly having beef and Nancy having an idea of what happened to Barb, without any thought given to whether it actually fits with his character; keep in mind, this is the same dude who, when Nancy tells him she doesn't want to be alone for the night after their first monster-hunting excursion, immediately finds a sleeping bag and flops down on the floor, and has to be actively convinced to share the bed with her.

Basically, the show's two thirds of a really good show and one-third of a hot loving mess, but even that last third has its really awesome moments.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

im gaye posted:

Leviathan isn't that good. It's The Thing underwater and really hokey. Deep Rising is much more enjoyable and has Treat Williams.