Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I'm not entirely up to date on facial recognition, but so far I have not seen a single ML solution that's impressed me once you step even slightly outside the context of its original design. And making the original design expansive enough for something like facial recognition to work without requiring that absurd fiddling is far less profitable than selling kinda-sorta sometimes not completely garbage systems to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
doesnt this mean that tax prepper places need cams like the DMV?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Riven posted:

My main issue with it is how hard it’s going to make it for less privileged people to interact with essential govt services. I was doing my return the other day and needed to double check our child tax credit payment numbers, and encountered this thing. I had to take approximately 24 pics of my ID in three different areas of my coworking space before they were accepted and then the only way I could get the facial scanning to work was standing with my back against a plain white door with my elgato key lights on me. Brick was an unacceptable background, and anything less than full power lighting directly on me, but behind the camera, was unacceptable. Bright overhead lighting didn’t work. If I had been home I don’t think I could have finished my taxes.

as someone who doesn't own a smartphone (both because i'm cheap and snobbishly contrarian), anytime i have to deal with an id.me verification has been a giant headache

it was especially stressful when i had a ticking clock to retroactively prove my identity or the state of california would claw back my unemployment insurance money. i can't imagine what folks on the margins who have less time and resources to navigate the opaque alternatives to a smartphone would have gone through

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

quarantinethepast posted:

What is the state of facial recognition technology currently? Is it at the point where you can reliably grab a library off the shelf without needing to train it or are competent ML engineers still required to train and validate a model to get a good product? It sounds like the latter, based on what Riven is saying above me.

It's all over the place. A lot of it depends on how you apply it and what datasets are used. So generally the closer you get to a head on view, the better your accuracy tends to be. So the accuracy of something like ID.me is going to be higher than a video surveillance set up. Because the camera angle to the face is going to be much closer to straight on. You're going to generally have better control over lighting conditions as well. And lighting plays a huge roll in accuracy. Some of the testing I saw for Rekognition saw 89% accuracy with ~200 lux of lighting at the subject. But going to ~1 lux it dropped to 28%. Head tilt, and camera angle also play a significant role.

NYT did a bunch of stuff using Amazon's Rekognition and they were pretty terrible. Amazon, IBM and a few others have stopped allowing use of their stuff for law enforcement. Partly out of backlash from protests and partly because law enforcement doesn't do nuance and deployments for them are generally the worst case scenario. Some datasets also suffer from being mostly white people, which means accuracy of matching for BIPOC ranges from "meh" to "the ACLU is gonna end up involved". This has gotten better over time but still not what anyone would call great.

For this particular application, it's probably not amazing but from an IRS perspective would be good enough. From a customer perspective, there will probably be a bunch of people who need to bring in portable suns to have enough light to make it work. It's gonna piss them off. And the IRS will just say they are exaggerating and were able to log in eventually.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

PhazonLink posted:

doesnt this mean that tax prepper places need cams like the DMV?

No, they are not requiring you to have a drat camera on you to do taxes, this is if you sign up for an account to do things like download tax transcripts and the like online from the IRS. And as far as I can tell from setting one up, it's matching you to the driver's license (and not very well at that given how many times I had to resubmit the drat picture of my license/get my face scanned) not some sort of database. You can complain about the privacy risks, but the IRS defaults to hyper-complicated ID schemes thanks to the dangers of getting hacked there and at least unlike the last one I wasn't completely barred from getting an account because I have the audacity to use a cell phone that's technically listed under my parent's name because we share the same plan.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
"matching you to the driver's license" eh? I hope my state's DMV being pandemic smart during 2020 and during most basic stuff by mail and re using the pic I / many people did 5+years does bite me in the rear end.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I've had to do that on a banking app (here in Japan) and it just doesn't work because I guess my face doesn't match my ID so I'm just poo poo out of luck. Can't use it and they can't help me to use it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Riven posted:

My main issue with it is how hard it’s going to make it for less privileged people to interact with essential govt services. I was doing my return the other day and needed to double check our child tax credit payment numbers, and encountered this thing. I had to take approximately 24 pics of my ID in three different areas of my coworking space before they were accepted and then the only way I could get the facial scanning to work was standing with my back against a plain white door with my elgato key lights on me. Brick was an unacceptable background, and anything less than full power lighting directly on me, but behind the camera, was unacceptable. Bright overhead lighting didn’t work. If I had been home I don’t think I could have finished my taxes.

FL uses it for unemployment claims and yeah it's a real pain in the rear end.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I didn’t get any PA unemployment because I refused to make an account with that company. I’m just sick and tired of being extorted to interact with systems and entities that are entirely parasitic and do nothing of actual benefit for me.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Sextro posted:

I didn’t get any PA unemployment because I refused to make an account with that company. I’m just sick and tired of being extorted to interact with systems and entities that are entirely parasitic and do nothing of actual benefit for me.

Your own unemployment payments feels like such a weird place to boycott a thing like that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Riven posted:

Canadians can just sign in through their bank. It owns.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
So the USA is implementing a national ID but strictly worse and outsourced to a rent seeking company? lmao.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Sextro posted:

You passed on hundreds of dollars a week deposited straight into your bank account because some lovely tech company gives you bad vibes? Talk about a self-own.

”You don’t understand, I’m punching myself in the face to teach you a lesson!”

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Sextro posted:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Your own unemployment payments feels like such a weird place to boycott a thing like that.

It's totally by design though and meant to discourage the truly disadvantaged and most hard hit from being able to file. Like, someone with a lovely phone or having to use a library computer is gonna have a really loving hard time. It also doesn't remember you if you've not used the system in like 2 weeks or something. (Maybe you made some money that week so you don't file)

It's 100% intended to keep UEI filing LOW so number go up and make it incredibly difficult to claim the meager amount it even covers. It has nothing to do whatsoever with preventing unemployment fraud or anything.

E:

They also make sure that you can't access the website except on weekdays from 8-5. You know, like when you're supposed to be out hitting the pavement and looking for work. I can't file a claim (or do USerID) on a weekend or at 5am.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 21, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

So, the new CEO at Twitter bounced the head of security and CISO (Mudge and Rinki Sethi respectively), and well-respected Lea Kissner is only the "interim" head. https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1484413851739189250

Pull quote from the article:
“an assessment of how the organization was being led and the impact on top priority work,”

Why, yes. Security people do have the inconvenient habit of saying "No, you can't do that", and "You shouldn't ship software without a thorough security audit", and "This design has the following flaws."

Go fast, get hacked break things!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the recent hexagon profile pic shape for buttcoin havers that recently dropped seems like a smoke screen to that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

the recent hexagon profile pic shape for buttcoin havers that recently dropped seems like a smoke screen to that.

I suspect they are closely connected. New wave web3 stuff like NFTs are really sketchy and attract a lot of security concerns, wouldn't surprise me if the CEO got pissed being told that.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

So the USA is implementing a national ID but strictly worse and outsourced to a rent seeking company? lmao.

please respect our culture

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

It's 100% intended to keep UEI filing LOW so number go up and make it incredibly difficult to claim the meager amount it even covers. It has nothing to do whatsoever with preventing unemployment fraud or anything.

Exactly this. They successfully convinced me it wasn’t worth the hassle or distaste of agreeing to anything with shitstains like the leeches behind id.me.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

CommieGIR posted:

I suspect they are closely connected. New wave web3 stuff like NFTs are really sketchy and attract a lot of security concerns, wouldn't surprise me if the CEO got pissed being told that.

Folding Ideas just dropped a video going into great depth what the scam is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g

Yes it is longer than many movies but you can watch as much as you like and get a real thorough breakdown on crypto, tokens, and the grift economy surrounding them.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Shorter than Snyder Cut, good watch.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

About that...

https://twitter.com/TeaWithMaple/status/1484590021936128003

e: Meant to post this.

https://twitter.com/thezedwards/status/1484568782005628934

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 21, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Sextro posted:

Exactly this. They successfully convinced me it wasn’t worth the hassle or distaste of agreeing to anything with shitstains like the leeches behind id.me.

Assuming you can even get ID ME to even work. I took a lot of photos before it agreed that "yep that's BiggerBoat's face", got bounced a few times and had to re-verify verify trough a cell phone code and an email. Then I worked a seasonal gig so didn't claim for a couple of months and re-filing makes you do the whole process all over again as if you've never existed and they're handling you for the very first time.

I'm already in the system(s), they KNOW who I am, have my SS#, DL photo, email address, cell # and you loving name it but they'd rather do this weird war of attrition that's only possible during the hours that I am presumably out looking for jobs and interviewing.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 22, 2022

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/caseyjohnston/status/1484487232924827653

"Sure, they hold decentralized currency, but it's not authorized decentralized currency!" -:qq:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

exmachina posted:

Folding Ideas just dropped a video going into great depth what the scam is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g

Yes it is longer than many movies but you can watch as much as you like and get a real thorough breakdown on crypto, tokens, and the grift economy surrounding them.

This is a pro-click. Still watching it but he ties up how this isn't something new and is just a continuation of old scams.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Tired: Postal banking
Wired: Postal BLOCKCHAINING!

https://twitter.com/USPS/status/1484608499120316422

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm not sure how to feel about grifting to support essential government services. I presume you can still send tulip bulbs express?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
If I buy a USPS NFT will they stop sending me spam for all eternity?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Tired: Postal banking
Wired: Postal BLOCKCHAINING!

https://twitter.com/USPS/status/1484608499120316422

God dammit why?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Only if the USPS NFT is DeJoy's pink slip

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

No, if you reward them they'll just do more.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

CommieGIR posted:

This is a pro-click. Still watching it but he ties up how this isn't something new and is just a continuation of old scams.

So here is an article I found after following up on the Bitfinex/Tether thing: Only 8% of bitcoins are traded for fiat currency and that indicates there is a huge liquidity crisis looming.

https://jacobinmag.com/2022/01/cryptocurrency-scam-blockchain-bitcoin-economy-decentralization

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
NFT's are just Pokemon/MTG cards for people that have way too much money and too little sense. You could probably point out how wildly hosed up it is from a class inequality perspective but people in actual societies with actual real currencies have seen this whole thing happen before. Where it gets dangerous is if it sticks around past the fad faze. At which point it could shore up the (entirely undeserved) validity of cryptocurrencies. Given the predatory and unscrupulous way cryptocurrencies work it's important to crush it now while it's young.

Honestly, if the con arts that came up with it really wanted to make bank there should be a random NFT assigner that crypto people can pay into so that it turns into a gacha. It would make megabucks.

Remember the beanie baby craze? It's the same principle at work, only with con artists and crooks trying to boost the validity of cryptocurrency since crypto by default cannot survive in it's current form without constantly attracting new victims rubes in to generate currency and act as a dump so others can cash out into viable real world currencies.

It's why you keep seeing lovely tech bros demand that it's the currency of the future and all that. Since it's not a primary currency used by anyone in national terms and a sizable number of the people using it are both greedy and stupid as hell it typically functions as basically a shell game with sums of money where the intermediary asset (cryptocurrency) needs to be passed off onto to _______ so someone can cash out with large sums.

It's like --- imagine a sort of bad internet age horror story about a curse that keeps getting passed on to free the previous victim. Or those lovely emails that insist if you don't forward it to so many people on your contact list you'll be cursed. Only it's someone (or more often a group of people) being a gullible idiot by being convinced to invest in crypto to the expense of a tune of hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars all so that someone else can dip out of the market at not a loss.

Of course the people/guy who gets stuck holding the high value crypto assets (No matter what it is, usually.) after some dude cashes out for millions at their expense end up pushing crypto even harder than the rubes before them. Since otherwise they have what is essentially a massive financial loss on their hands. And no one in any capitalist society is going to accept that sort of loss since that basically means you fail at life.

Hell, depending on what country you live in that sort of loss could literally get you killed by proxy due to not having enough money to pay for necessary things like health care or housing.

Edit: Just saw the liquidity crisis thing and yeah this is one of the problems crypto currencies can run into. In fact, one possibility is that eventually you get so many rubes holding the bag that if enough of them decide to cash out at once the crypto currency just loving dies.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 22, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still reckon it explains a lot as someone put it in the crypto thread; it's the 5% trying to make war on the 1%, with crypto as their magic beans they're assured are a superweapon.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
One thing the video raised that I'd never considered an issue. Sending stuff to people's wallets as harrasment.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The autonomous killing machines will only respond to commands made by those with over 50,000 in NFTs

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Archonex posted:

NFT's are just Pokemon/MTG cards for people that have way too much money and too little sense.
no because Magic is a fun game where you pretend to be a wizard and summon monsters. NFTs don't even do that.

also Magic cards are aesthetically pleasing:

vs

:colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Archonex posted:

NFT's are just Pokemon/MTG cards for people that have way too much money and too little sense. You could probably point out how wildly hosed up it is from a class inequality perspective but people in actual societies with actual real currencies have seen this whole thing happen before. Where it gets dangerous is if it sticks around past the fad faze. At which point it could shore up the (entirely undeserved) validity of cryptocurrencies. Given the predatory and unscrupulous way cryptocurrencies work it's important to crush it now while it's young.

Honestly, if the con arts that came up with it really wanted to make bank there should be a random NFT assigner that crypto people can pay into so that it turns into a gacha. It would make megabucks.

Remember the beanie baby craze? It's the same principle at work, only with con artists and crooks trying to boost the validity of cryptocurrency since crypto by default cannot survive in it's current form without constantly attracting new victims rubes in to generate currency and act as a dump so others can cash out into viable real world currencies.

It's why you keep seeing lovely tech bros demand that it's the currency of the future and all that. Since it's not a primary currency used by anyone in national terms and a sizable number of the people using it are both greedy and stupid as hell it typically functions as basically a shell game with sums of money where the intermediary asset (cryptocurrency) needs to be passed off onto to _______ so someone can cash out with large sums.

It's like --- imagine a sort of bad internet age horror story about a curse that keeps getting passed on to free the previous victim. Or those lovely emails that insist if you don't forward it to so many people on your contact list you'll be cursed. Only it's someone (or more often a group of people) being a gullible idiot by being convinced to invest in crypto to the expense of a tune of hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars all so that someone else can dip out of the market at not a loss.

Of course the people/guy who gets stuck holding the high value crypto assets (No matter what it is, usually.) after some dude cashes out for millions at their expense end up pushing crypto even harder than the rubes before them. Since otherwise they have what is essentially a massive financial loss on their hands. And no one in any capitalist society is going to accept that sort of loss since that basically means you fail at life.

Hell, depending on what country you live in that sort of loss could literally get you killed by proxy due to not having enough money to pay for necessary things like health care or housing.

Edit: Just saw the liquidity crisis thing and yeah this is one of the problems crypto currencies can run into. In fact, one possibility is that eventually you get so many rubes holding the bag that if enough of them decide to cash out at once the crypto currency just loving dies.

They are cons for people who don't actually have money, which is why half these guys that do make it in the *coin/NFT market are described specifically as "Bitcoin or NFT Millionaires".

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Archonex posted:

NFT's are just Pokemon/MTG cards for people that have way too much money and too little sense.

Good post.

It reminded me of a guy I know who wants to leave a decent salaried office job and his plan is to get into Bitcoin/NFT. loving delusional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Shrecknet posted:

no because Magic is a fun game where you pretend to be a wizard and summon monsters. NFTs don't even do that.

also Magic cards are aesthetically pleasing:

vs

:colbert:

You joke, but you haven't heard what WotC is doing with the newest Unglued set... :tinfoil: